Rinne

[EDH] Doomed! (Teysa Karlov)

bcfaa19e-995e-447d-a0a2-46e5d117d5ec.jpg

Also featuring on TappedOut. Goal here is straightforward: abuse the death triggers of your creatures as much as possible, and overwhelm your opponents with a token swarm in the process. My thoughts, and points that I'd like some feedback on:

1. Are there enough bombs? Deck feels highly synergistic to me on first pass, but afraid that there's not enough raw power.
  2. How about enough card draw?
  3. And removal?
Edited by Rinne

Long time no see, my guy.

You could probs use 1 or 2 utility cards in the lands area, just stuff like Bojuka Bog and Reliquary Tower (probably really want that last one when you're doubling your Skullclamp triggers).

Living Death is batshit-insane-bananas, especially after you've sacced everything to an Altar or something.

If you want some more ramp (you're kinda light there) Black Market gets doubled triggers from Teysa. MIGHTY SPICE. Grave Titan synergizes well with Teysa too, as she buffs its tokens.

Edited by Faytl

Bombs: No. You don't have karmic guide. Add karmic guide. The combo with reveillark is simply too good to pass up, and it is generically powerful as well (as all combo pieces should be, fuck you pili pala put down that cranial plating and go back to the kitchen table). Otherwise I'd say you're probably fine, maybe toss in crypt ghast to help push your x spells. Living death is a winbutton in many gamestates, as already mentioned.

Card Draw: You aren't running phyrexian arena. Run phyrexian arena. Otherwise I think you are fine on the draw effects, but I feel advantage should be capitalized upon more heavily. Land Tax is a mainstay of the format for a reason, and even cards that net you low-quality advantage, like scrying sheets, make all the difference in orzhov. Run some cards to help you get to your advantage generators, like Stoneforge Mystic and Academy Rector. Also, run Phyrexian Arena.

Removal: Honestly I don't think that should be much of a concern. Between grave pact effects and boardwipes, it will be difficult for aggro to keep up with you. Return to dust is fantastic, and Anguished Unmaking is similar, but honestly I'd go as far as Utter End to be sure you can cut short combos when you need to. Though you are a combo deck, and a resilient one at that, most other combos will go off before you can so you need to be prepared for it. Though it doesn't do much against combo, Vindicate is stupid good and you should probably run it.

19 hours ago, Faytl said:

Long time no see, my guy.

You could probs use 1 or 2 utility cards in the lands area, just stuff like Bojuka Bog and Reliquary Tower (probably really want that last one when you're doubling your Skullclamp triggers).

Living Death is batshit-insane-bananas, especially after you've sacced everything to an Altar or something.

If you want some more ramp (you're kinda light there) Black Market gets doubled triggers from Teysa. MIGHTY SPICE. Grave Titan synergizes well with Teysa too, as she buffs its tokens.

You too, fam. o/

What lands do you suggest? I'm generally not a big fan of utility lands, but I have so many basics atm that it probably wouldn't hurt. Reliquary Tower isn't one I'm too hot on, though, considering discard can help me if I'm aiming to reanimate stuff.

Black Market has always been a trap card, in my experience: it's 5 mana, so it doesn't help you ramp early; and you don't even get the benefit until your next turn. It's always hit the board and eaten a removal spell immediately after.

8 hours ago, (youknowwhoiam) said:

Bombs: No. You don't have karmic guide. Add karmic guide. The combo with reveillark is simply too good to pass up, and it is generically powerful as well (as all combo pieces should be, fuck you pili pala put down that cranial plating and go back to the kitchen table). Otherwise I'd say you're probably fine, maybe toss in crypt ghast to help push your x spells. Living death is a winbutton in many gamestates, as already mentioned.

Card Draw: You aren't running phyrexian arena. Run phyrexian arena. Otherwise I think you are fine on the draw effects, but I feel advantage should be capitalized upon more heavily. Land Tax is a mainstay of the format for a reason, and even cards that net you low-quality advantage, like scrying sheets, make all the difference in orzhov. Run some cards to help you get to your advantage generators, like Stoneforge Mystic and Academy Rector. Also, run Phyrexian Arena.

Removal: Honestly I don't think that should be much of a concern. Between grave pact effects and boardwipes, it will be difficult for aggro to keep up with you. Return to dust is fantastic, and Anguished Unmaking is similar, but honestly I'd go as far as Utter End to be sure you can cut short combos when you need to. Though you are a combo deck, and a resilient one at that, most other combos will go off before you can so you need to be prepared for it. Though it doesn't do much against combo, Vindicate is stupid good and you should probably run it.

But I don't wanna be a combo deck. ?

Fine, I'll think of something to cut for Living Death. Thoughts?

> Phyrexian Arena

I don't like Arena that much, surprisingly. It's been too slow in the many games I've played.

Even if you aren't a combo deck, running karmic guide isn't a detriment to your midrange (helps it, in fact) and it gives you an option against hard control.

Arena is slow, you are absolutely correct there. But frankly, I think you are in a situation where you take what you can get. At the very least, I'd go for sign in blood. If you add SFM, shred memory is a really fucking good card.

Orzhov decks, and especially non-combo decks like you actively are trying to avoid apparently, are pretty slow in general, so the slowness on Arena isn't that bad. You kind of want games to go longer in decks like this because it lets you accrue resources in your graveyard and set yourself up for more explosive turns.  Unless your meta is Combo Blitzkrieg it should be just fine.

Okay, fine, y'all convinced me.

• - Ever After, - ???
  • + Living Death, + Phyrexian Arena

Now, what 3-drop would you all cut for Arena?

I don't think Ministrant of Obligation is good enough, certainly not when up against Arena. Boreas Charger is also a good candidate unless you have a decent amount of big mana decks (or just green in general) in your meta.

Couple o` updates/restructures later...

• Drop: 2x Swamp; Apprentice Necromancer; Boreas Charger; Doomed Traveler; Mother of Runes; Tymna the Weaver; Xathrid Necromancer; Final Parting; Return to Dust; Wake the Dead; Anointed Procession; Ashes of the Abhorrent; Grave Pact; Phyrexian Reclamation; Jar of Eyeballs
  • Add: High Market; Temple of Silence; Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim; Elenda, the Dusk Rose; Grave Titan; Imperious Oligarch; Krav, the Unredeemed; Martyr of Dusk; Ruthless Knave; Utter End; Vampiric Tutor; Victimize; Land Tax; Phyrexian Arena; Chromatic Lantern