Thar

The least amount of advice you've been given that's had the most impact on your life?

It's really fucking sad, but I remember a nurse told me how I can taper down my alcohol intake and it has done me wonders. I was able to reach a point where I could go on a week-long vacation with my family and not have a panic attack from withdrawal. Ofc I don't remember her name, but thank you random nurse.

I'm curious what y'alls answers are.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I've gotten was to stop thinking so many people are watching me out in public. Generally people are going about their own days and we're just barely even a blip on their radar. I get caught up in thinking what people are thinking about me and it steamrolls me with my anxiety. I gotta stop letting that happen.

I was working on a project and needed some stainless steel, but they could only find mild steel, so I shrugged and said I could use that because I didn't feel like searching much. One of the older guys stopped me and said, "Why do you just accept whatever comes your way?" and I didn't really have an answer.

Dumb as it sounds I was stuck on that questions for a couple weeks. Really changed how I viewed and acted throughout the rest of my life.

Edited by Cheshire Toon

7 hours ago, Kazooie said:

One of the biggest pieces of advice I've gotten was to stop thinking so many people are watching me out in public. Generally people are going about their own days and we're just barely even a blip on their radar. I get caught up in thinking what people are thinking about me and it steamrolls me with my anxiety. I gotta stop letting that happen.

Yeah no kidding, being in public can be pretty scary, but yeah whoever told you that is right. People don't usually care. You ever try to say hi to a stranger and they just ignore you and pass by? That's a perfect example of how much attention they're paying to anything except their own business. Hell, even if they do acknowledge you, they usually don't notice you until you do so.

3 hours ago, Cheshire Toon said:

I was working on a project and needed some stainless steel, but they could only find mild steel, so I shrugged and said I could use that because I didn't feel like searching much. One of the older guys stopped me and said, "Why do you just accept whatever comes your way?" and I didn't really have an answer.

Dumb as it sounds I was stuck on that questions for a couple weeks. Really changed how I viewed and acted throughout the rest of my life.

He has a point. Stainless steel, for example, instead of mild steel could make all the difference in projects like that. Sure it's a bit more expensive but depending on what its exposed to, it could be worth the extra money and effort to find.

Edited by Thar

He has a point. Stainless steel, for example, instead of mild steel could make all the difference in projects like that. Sure it's a bit more expensive but depending on what its exposed to, it could be worth the extra money and effort to find.

I was making the rods for a little 6" vise. Getting the stainless was worth it just because it added longevity to it, but SS is a pain in the ass to work with lol. Still real shiny though.

Really what it did more was just make me question my mentality. I sorta knew I thought like that--roll with the punches, take what you get--but I had never really been called out on it before. Just having someone say it so bluntly was enough to kinda give me a kick in the ass to strive for better in general.

EDIT:

Here's a picture 'cause I just remembered I have it.

Spoiler

17952740_1330498597034893_78135836873158

Most of it was still common-grade steel but I hunted down the good shit for those rods lol.

Edited by Cheshire Toon

When I was in a party, I opened up with one of my group friends saying that I worried about what the entire group thought about me and what Impression I was giving, then he drops me something along the lines of: "Why do you care? it doesn't matter". Sounds simple or intuitive, but that hit me. Before then I often worried about what others thought about me, but that line enlightened me. I can't say I had a 100% confidence conversion right after that, but that single line sure helped me to care much less about what others think of me.
I have had others lines of advice, but that is the one that did the most impact in me so far, and nowadays still remember and treasure.

Another line that I hold is not being the clown of the group even with close friends, delivered by another friend from that group.

Edited by Darj

For me, it'd have to be "If you don't expect anything good, you can't be disappointed". I don't exactly follow that. Instead, I paraphrase it to "Don't set your expectations too high". Alternatively, when something good does happen, this motto makes it feel all the more rewarding.

And one of my friends convinced me to come back to Yugioh Card Maker back in 2016.

"Travel is one of the best Anti-War weapons out there. I've been to Iran,and if you're there you see little kids, cops, old people, cemeteries. Once you see that,you can't say 'Oh Iran, let's bomb them.'" -  Viggo Mortensen

This quote really made me think. It didn't change my life per se, it just made me review my outlook and made me into a more compassionate person. 

Edited by Hammsuke

20 hours ago, Nyx said:

For me, it'd have to be "If you don't expect anything good, you can't be disappointed". I don't exactly follow that. Instead, I paraphrase it to "Don't set your expectations too high". Alternatively, when something good does happen, this motto makes it feel all the more rewarding.

Very true. I've been living by that for years and it really helps. Not necessarily pessimistic, just lets you keep more of an open mind.

There's one quote from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. While there's plenty of quotes to choose from, the least that's had a big impact is one from Poshley Heights (Toadia's her name). A toad girl that stands next to the fountain. To paraphrase (because NO ONE has put this quote online, and I don't want to spend 10 minutes setting up my Wii):

People ask me "Don't you get bored walking down the same path every day?" And I tell them "No way, Jose!". Every day is different. I'm not the same, and neither are you.

ZpXiVvC.jpg

I guess the best piece of advice I have received is "Are they grown? Then stop worrying about them so much." A huge part of me is very parental, and makes me want to give more of myself than I can to my super close friends. I tend to worry way too much, and care about things more than the people who are experiencing them so I just had to learn that sometimes no matter how much you want for people to do something for themselves, you can't make them or make them understand. 

It's made me colder, which is great because I was running way too hot (a few months ago) for people who would never worry about me as much as I worried about them. They are still my friends, but I'm more unbothered now. You wanna live that way? Okay, you do you homie. 

Image result for shrug anime

Edited by Rapidfire

I don't really have anything. Every single piece of advice that I've ever heard got incorporated into me, slowly, until my life started improving because of it. I'm really just a jello of bits and pieces of good thinking.