Shradow

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

640?cb=20180612174504&path-prefix=en

The most recent entry in the Super Smash Bros. series, featuring every character from previous games and just a whole ton of stuff. Feel free to talk about anything about the game, and maybe some of us can get together and play some games some time.

Still haven't played much but already loving it. I really enjoy unlocking things so I was actually quite happy to see how few characters you start with.

I love it. I still need to beat World of Light, but I managed to unlock everyone by plowing through Classic Mode. I think I'm going to try and eventually 100% this game too because the challenges/achievements aren't as unreasonable to me as they were in Smash U.

The newcomers are all really fun; I'm also stoked to playing people like Toon Link, Wolf, and Snake again. 

Smash is still Smash, Sakurai's our homeboy, and I'm looking forward to the DLC reveals over this next year. I know apparently the full list was leaked a week ago, but I'm not seeking those out because I want to see the reveal trailers completely blind.

24 minutes ago, TheEternalWinter said:

So Trela topped with Ridley again, people are underrating him imo

I do keep hearing that Ridley is being slept on, he's just not really my style so I haven't looked into him much.

I tried to main Isabelle for awhile since I love her, but I've found her lack of reliable kill options too much of a detriment. So I'm keeping on with Ike as I have been as well as focusing on Dark Samus who I've really had fun with in this game since dabbling with Samus in Smash 4.

46 minutes ago, Fusion said:

I know apparently the full list was leaked a week ago, but I'm not seeking those out because I want to see the reveal trailers completely blind.

The DLC leak was just a list of code names, we don't yet actually know anyone aside from those already announced.

Edited by Shradow

I 100%ed WoL on hard and am doing a second run on easy to pick up spirits for craft and the two evolving boss spirits since I want 1 of every spirit. Speaking of crafting, good god is that a grind. Over 90 spirits are craft only and it takes a while to get all of them. ATM I'm 20 spirits short (stupid Partner Eevee is going to be a nightmare to get). Other than that I've cleared Classic with everyone and am working on 9.0 or better runs since I already have over 60 characters with that. The game has been a ton of fun and the amount of love and care that was put into every little thing is super evident. 

The spirit system makes it a lot slower to train amiibos than it was in Smash 4 which peeved me off. Other than that I think most things in Smash Ultimate are an improvement, mostly including better single player content.

I also super appreciate the Smash Down mode. It's one of my favorite modes to play when playing with a group of people locally. Smash Down >>>> Smash Tour

17 hours ago, Shradow said:

I do keep hearing that Ridley is being slept on, he's just not really my style so I haven't looked into him much.

I tried to main Isabelle for awhile since I love her, but I've found her lack of reliable kill options too much of a detriment. So I'm keeping on with Ike as I have been as well as focusing on Dark Samus who I've really had fun with in this game since dabbling with Samus in Smash 4.

The DLC leak was just a list of code names, we don't yet actually know anyone aside from those already announced.

I just saw some of the article headlines and stayed away, but good to know.

Ridley's cool, I'm not super good as him or anything but I feel like I can improve with him whereas characters from Earthbound and Animal Crossing are examples of people I don't think I'll ever really get a good grasp on. Isabelle is fun though.

17 hours ago, Flame Dragon said:

I 100%ed WoL on hard and am doing a second run on easy to pick up spirits for craft and the two evolving boss spirits since I want 1 of every spirit. Speaking of crafting, good god is that a grind. Over 90 spirits are craft only and it takes a while to get all of them. ATM I'm 20 spirits short (stupid Partner Eevee is going to be a nightmare to get). Other than that I've cleared Classic with everyone and am working on 9.0 or better runs since I already have over 60 characters with that. The game has been a ton of fun and the amount of love and care that was put into every little thing is super evident. 

Sounds like this may be harder than I thought. I agree with the love and care, it's been fun to see how they represent some classic VG characters through Smash players and statuses.

Impressive Classic run, I think I average 7 on most characters, 8 with ones I'm decent with, then high 9s for my mains.

8 hours ago, TheComposer said:

I also super appreciate the Smash Down mode. It's one of my favorite modes to play when playing with a group of people locally. Smash Down >>>> Smash Tour

Smash Tour blew, I think I only ever played a few full games of it.

Mega Man has one of the easiest Classic modes IMO. He's the only one I've been able to hit 9.9 with so far.

Mostly stems from two things: the AI is criminally weak to his side smash, and Galleom is pathetic when compared to the other bosses.

Most of my other mains I tend to score in the 8.0 - 9.0 range with a few over 9.0

1 hour ago, TheComposer said:

Mega Man has one of the easiest Classic modes IMO. He's the only one I've been able to hit 9.9 with so far.

Mostly stems from two things: the AI is criminally weak to his side smash, and Galleom is pathetic when compared to the other bosses.

Most of my other mains I tend to score in the 8.0 - 9.0 range with a few over 9.0

That's interesting, Mega Man is probably my worst character! I'm not so hot with gunners in general but I don't think I got higher than the 6's with him. He's got some fun air attacks though.

I agree on Galleom, dude's super easy compared to the other bosses. I think Ganon's the hardest for me because sometimes I'll mess up getting behind him and I'll rack up enough damage to lose a stock before finishing him.

6 minutes ago, Fusion said:

That's interesting, Mega Man is probably my worst character! I'm not so hot with gunners in general but I don't think I got higher than the 6's with him. He's got some fun air attacks though.

I agree on Galleom, dude's super easy compared to the other bosses. I think Ganon's the hardest for me because sometimes I'll mess up getting behind him and I'll rack up enough damage to lose a stock before finishing him.

There is one Ganon fight that I've found pretty easy so far. It's Toon Link's, as you get two allied Toon Links to help you, making it easy to use them as distractions to hit Ganon from behind.

Toon Link's does have an infuriating fight right before the bonus stage against 4 inklings though. 3 v 4 at high intensity is rough.

I just bought a Switch recently in anticipation for Animal Crossing, and SSB is the only game I have so far. Brawl being the last Smash I owned, it's been a lot of fun getting back into the game, especially with all the new characters. World of Light was honestly so much longer and more difficult than I thought it'd be, but it's nice having some sort of single player option outside of the classic mode

I really hope Ike doesn't get nerfed. The game's been out long enough where people have K. Rool figured out as little more than a pub stomper and actually isn't that great so he's a character I'm not worried about, but Ike is legit amazing in this game. His nair combos into various moves at literally any percent and is an amazing kill setup while also being super safe. And his new uair is massive and hella good, too. Like, if you haven't seen Ike in action check this out:

I've mained Ike since Brawl and he's by far the best he's ever been, I hope it lasts.

Edited by Shradow

With Spirit Board, I went up against metal Bayonetta for the Tabuu spirit. I've tried thrice with rematches each attempt. Yesterday was my third attempt. On my last rematch, I managed to beat her. BUT I missed and didn't get the Tabuu spirit.

On an unrelated note, I too like Ike.

I didn't realize spikes worked differently in this game, and to show you what I mean here's a clip from the recent Glitch 6 tournament showcasing it and then the casters explaining it: 

So I guess guys like Ike, Chrom, and I think Cloud(?) can spike at literally any % and die second.

Edited by Shradow

What it says in the topic title.  What was your hardest and/or most annoying level in the Smash Ultimate's World of Light campaign?

I've only been playing on/off, so I still haven't actually beaten the game (or probably gotten to the crazy bosses), but the most annoying level for me (by far) was a Stamina battle with Luigi in New Donk City with the Kapp'n assist trophy.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:16 AM, TheComposer said:

PAULINE

Whoever decided to have an AI run away from you on 75m with a time limit is a sadist plain and simple.

This. I've managed to beat some of the other 4 star spirits. McLeod was hard and Tabuu I narrowly beat after many attemps. But I die in SECONDS to Pauline.

I'd only looked at a few stats of characters before now and TIL that Bowser now has the 5th fastest dash speed (note, not the same as run speed) in the game. He had literally the lowest in the past three games, so the massive buff to that is partly why he's so darn fast in this game. His walk and run speed are also slightly higher, but nothing to write home about.

And of course there's the universal changes that helped everyone, but especially so for Bowser. 3 frame jump squat (down from 8 frames before, so a big difference) and reduced landing lag mean Bowser's already good aerials are even better.

Edited by Shradow

pauline was unquestionably the most anoying, but the zapdos/articuno/moltres boys were arguably more difficult.

On a sidenote, the M.Bison/Ganondorf fight was the most fun one.

pre-patch LV9 bowser gave the the works before I figured out how to deal with him. I practiced combos on him cause he never passed up opportunities to punish missed arials, and had some of the best AI i've seen in the entire game.

The AI in this game in general is much better, from what I understand they got pros' help in programming them. Combine that with level 8/9's inhuman input reads and reactions and stuff (which is why I usually practice with ~level 7 to be more realistic), things get a bit crazy.

I finally decided on a main, in Greninja. Does anybody have experience with him? He feels a lot different from sm4sh, so most guides are next to useless.

2.0.0 is now live!

Update Notes

To enjoy the features listed below, you will need to download the latest update data.

• You can now play Spirit Board with up to four players. Select the Spirit you want to challenge on the Spirit Board, and then go to Party → Fighter to select the number of people who will play. When playing with multiple people, you will lose the battle if any player is KO'd.
  • The below Spirits will now appear in the Shop. Partner Pikachu Partner Eevee Dice Block River Survival Golden Dash Mushroom

• Adjusted the calculation method for Global Smash Power.
  • Online play requires a Nintendo Switch Online membership.

GENERAL

• Added the DLC fighter Piranha Plant.
  • Piranha Plant will become available for purchase as DLC at a later date.
  • Pressing both jump buttons at the same time will now cause you to Short Hop.
  • Fixed the issue where the KO score included your teammates' KOs when Team Attack was On.
  • Game-balance adjustments. You can see which fighters had specific adjustments on the official website.
  • Various gameplay fixes.

Full Character Patch Notes

This is a MASSIVE step up from 4 and I am glad to see Ultimate's Team giving up more detail. It's not perfect, but it's better.