Shradow

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Collision had this legendary set the other day, this was pretty much the only set people were talking about regarding the tournament (well there was the whole Wishes vs Marss drama but that was sort of different), even over Grand Finals:

Edited by Shradow

Best Buy leaked Joker's render in a Fighters Pass ad:

Spoiler

ZEZZgLN.png

Looking cool, Joker!

And if promo material like this is already being sent out, more Joker info (or even Joker himself) has gotta be coming soon. Interestingly, the other day Joker's release window changed: 

Edited by Shradow

I NEED GAMEPLAY!!!

Seriously, I can't get over how weird it is that a character coming out in a month's time hasn't even been shown off properly. I'd assumed it was because they wanted to show female Joker if P5R was going to have it, but like, you don't need to show that off too. Seriously, between that ant wanting to know the next character my body can't handle the hype.

Update 2.0.2 is out today which I think just adds some amiibo compatability for the new stuff.

Also, I've picked up Incineroar and boy is he fun.

Weird that we are going to be going from 2.0.2 to 3.0 later this month. Makes me really curious what else we're going to be getting besides Joker (who is still MIA despite being released in like 3 weeks >_>). Like I expected the releases would break down to be about ever 2 months since Plant plus 5 characters would get us to December, but now I'm not sure. 

So, spoiler stuff for those who don't wanna see it.

We already guessed as much, but this is pretty much official confirmation that doesn't rely on reading past blurs/datamines, which is nice.

I've been playing Persona 5 the past month and I think I may be able to beat it just in time for Joker's release in Smash, unless the release happens this week or something. It's definitely helped me buy into the hype of him coming to Smash now, I can see him being a "Fighter" type with one gun move in his arsenal.

That render does look pretty great; I'm also puzzled though how we haven't seen anything. I'm trying to remember how far in advance the Wii U Smash DLC reveals were before their release in the game.

The announcement for characters always came with game play for everyone but Mewtwo. 

Mewtwo: Announced October 23rd, Revealed gameplay April 1st (going , came out April 15th (28th for everyone)

Lucas: Revealed April 1st, came out June 14th.

Roy: Revealed and came out same day.

Ryu: Revealed and came out same day

Cloud: Revealed Nov 12th, came out December 15th

Corrin: Revealed December 15th, came out February 3rd

Bayonetta: Revealed December 15th, came out February 3rd

So, outside of Ryu and Roy we've always had a bit between learning about /seeing them and them coming out. Roy makes some sense since he is a returning character and similar to Marth. I am surprised Ryu was a same day reveal and release though.

Anyway, we haven't heard anything about a Direct so I feel like it isn't that likely to be happening. However we've never had a character release blind so I'm 100% that between the big addition 3.0 is brining and Joker we'll see something for Smash soon.

I love how they just dumped this on us out of nowhere. Like, this is just a Smash Direct and it came without any warning. Still, Joker looks sweet and am super hyped. Missing a few awesome P5 songs, but I imagine the P4 and P3 fans are super happy to see some songs from there make it in. Stage builder also looks cool and way better than the one in Wii U. Getting to download stages online is also huge since I don't imagine I'd use it much.

Yeah, my only complaint is that there's no Life Will Change, which is especially strange since it's in the trailers. But at least we got Last Surprise and Rivers in the Desert.

P3 and P4 music is hype, though, I got instantly so excited when "Baby, baby, baby" cut in with Mass Destruction.

Edited by Shradow

When did Life Will Change play? And yea, that, Whims of Fate, Blooming Villain, and Will Power are the big songs missing from P5. Also, excited to see we are getting DLC spirits. Wonder what the final count will be after the 5 characters are all out.

2 hours ago, Shradow said:

It was during the initial reveal trailer at the Game Awards.

O yea. That is a bit weird. Shame since it is such a great song. 

Also, speaking of that trailer I do like how they incorporated elements from it for the "proper" reveal. I think Sakurai said we should expect that kind of trailer for everyone, but I'm hoping we still get something cool.

I've been doing some lab work on Joker combos (not my strong suit as a Ganondorf main in the midst of an identity crisis) because he's just that much fun to play. It's not a true combo or anything, but I've labbed out a string (made up of a few tiny true combos) that does about 50% damage, and works on all characters at especially low percents. The whole string (aside from the up-B in here) is actually a true combo at 0% against Bowser and Fox though. I did some additional testing against Pac-Man (the best training dummy don't @ me) to see when it stops working in as straightforward a way as I made it, and it seems to stop working normally extremely early, before 20%. I was able to get the string as high as 80% (including damage-over-time from a side-b tossed in there), but for several reasons, everything after the 50% mark was pretty impractical.

So, here's what I labbed out. May it give you sick grab combos at 0%. I'll put one of -> # <- these next to any move that doesn't true combo from the one before it.

down throw
forward air
down tilt#
up air (try to short-hop this, or at least stay as close to the ground as you can)
up-B#
forward air

and if you want to go even further beyond for the full 80%, follow that up with...

side-B# (relies on your opponent not using the massive double-jump window they have after the last forward-air; will see if I can figure out an aerial follow-up to the above tomorrow)
forward air# (timing on this is pretty tight)
dash attack# (see above)

The full 80% string doesn't work in any practical scenario though because unless you're very specific about when you land the down-tilt in there, then reverse your up-B, it covers more ground than any stage provides. Not to mention the massive window of escape your opponent has before your side-B. I haven't tested this on every character, but I did test it on the lightest (Pichu) and heaviest (Bowser) and was able to get the full 80 on both of them in the training room. This shit took me like an hour if I include some games I played with friends to get a feel for Joker before labbing the hell out of this combo.

I didn't do anything near as in depth as that, but I got to play around with Joker finally. Really fun character and certainly someone I'm going to be play regularly. I did a handful of single fights vs. Level 9 CPUs, but mostly focused on the single player stuff we got with him. The spirit board is awesome and the amount of care and attention to detail the fights got is sweet. His classic route is also a really cool nod to his game. Not sure how much I'm personally going to use stage builder but very much interested in downloading stuff other people make.

GameExplain put out a nice video on some recreations of the missing stages

Also checked out a nerf/buff video. Really cool that it is almost all buffs. Making characters strong > Making characters weaker

Joker's super fun. He has issues killing without Arsene, his grappling hook is predictable and easily gimpable, and he's pretty light, but I like him a lot. Though I wish he didn't suffer from his initial dash being slower than his run speed, as someone who plays Bowser a lot and is used to his speed Joker felt a bit slow when I first started practicing him. Though I like that he has a pseudo-wavedash with his gun.

As for the style, everything is capture perfectly. The effects on his moves, the All-Out Attack FS, P5 victory screen, it's all great. And I'm glad there's so much great music. One thing I'm a bit surprised I like so much is the Velvet Room remix, it's amazing:

Edited by Shradow

On 4/17/2019 at 8:44 AM, Flame Dragon said:

I love how they just dumped this on us out of nowhere. Like, this is just a Smash Direct and it came without any warning. Still, Joker looks sweet and am super hyped. Missing a few awesome P5 songs, but I imagine the P4 and P3 fans are super happy to see some songs from there make it in. Stage builder also looks cool and way better than the one in Wii U. Getting to download stages online is also huge since I don't imagine I'd use it much.

Hell yeah I am! Mass Destruction's smooth, Hymn of the Soul is my song, Reach out to the Truth and Aria of the Soul are great.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:24 AM, Shradow said:

Joker's super fun. He has issues killing without Arsene, his grappling hook is predictable and easily gimpable, and he's pretty light, but I like him a lot. Though I wish he didn't suffer from his initial dash being slower than his run speed, as someone who plays Bowser a lot and is used to his speed Joker felt a bit slow when I first started practicing him. Though I like that he has a pseudo-wavedash with his gun.

As for the style, everything is capture perfectly. The effects on his moves, the All-Out Attack FS, P5 victory screen, it's all great. And I'm glad there's so much great music. One thing I'm a bit surprised I like so much is the Velvet Room remix, it's amazing:

I particularly liked his victory screen. One of the most unique out of all characters, and a callback to the game he's from.

I don't really have much to add on about Joker. He's flashy and pays homage to the franchise/game he's originally from. Also Morgana was there.

Edited by Nyx

I think Joker's dash attack is one of my favorite moves of his. The two hits can catch movements, it crosses up shields really well, and it has decent range to where I've caught people trying to recover and gotten kills with it at the ledge. It also seemed quite useful in some matches I was playing against an Olimar earlier, one kick would hit a Pikmin he'd try to throw and the second would hit Olimar.

Edited by Shradow

So there's a new rumor going around, though obviously take it with a grain of salt:

Spoiler

tl;dw Papagenos’ discord figured out that on EU google search, if you type specific character names in with Smash Bros Ultimate, an add pops up for the Fighters Pass.

They tested 100s of different characters and can only find 5 that make the ad pop up. The 5 are:

Joker
Banjo
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa
Artorias

Edited by Shradow

Spoiler

As much as I'd like to see Banjo getting in (and Ryu is cool too) Artorias is such a weird choice. You'd think a Dark Souls rep would be the player character. Maybe a boss could have more flexibility for moves, but it is still strange. Doom Guy is also weird to me but Doom isn't really my series so, shrug. We should be getting another character next month so we'll know more soon enough I guess.

Spoiler

I think the player would be lame, honestly. The Chosen Undead has no story or personality. They would be able to have a varied moveset and obviously something like that can work because we have a character like Villager, but I'd like a more defined character. A major part of Dark Souls is the bosses and NPCs. Personally I'd prefer Solaire, though.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:32 PM, Shradow said:
  Hide contents

I think the player would be lame, honestly. The Chosen Undead has no story or personality. They would be able to have a varied moveset and obviously something like that can work because we have a character like Villager, but I'd like a more defined character. A major part of Dark Souls is the bosses and NPCs. Personally I'd prefer Solaire, though.

It'd make sense, given the existence of the Solaire Amiibo. 

Ryu and Doom Slayer might've been found through datamining, so those might be. After all, Ninja Gaiden has been on multiple Nintendo platforms. But something like Dark Souls? Once, if memory serves well. But that never stopped stuff like Metal Gear Solid or Persona 5, so who knows.