Yemachu

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet

New Pokémon games have been announced, scheduled to release at the end of this year. Seems to be inspired by Spain.

Note from cow: When more info comes out make sure to spoiler warning/spoiler tag things

Here's what we know about the starters, via the Pokémon Company

Sprigatito

Category: Grass Cat Pokémon

Height: 1′4″Weight: 9 lbs.

Type: Grass

Ability: Overgrow

The capricious, attention-seeking Grass Cat Pokémon.

Fuecoco

Category: Fire Croc Pokémon

Height: 1′4″Weight: 21.6 lbs.

Type: Fire

Ability: Blaze

The laid-back Fire Croc Pokémon that does things at its own pace.

Quaxly

Category: Duckling Pokémon

Height: 1′8″Weight: 13.4 lbs.

Type: Water

Ability: Torrent

The earnest and tidy Duckling Pokémon.

I wish to pet the cat

And I have a feeling the duck is gonna be a buffboi

Saw something implying the game might be open world, but I'm expecting that more so meaning the world itself is...open, as opposed to LA or BotW style.

Here's all the confirmed Pokémon (and likely to be confirmed in parentheses) from the trailer and other screenshots, via Kotaku. Serebii is also reporting that there will not be a national Pokédex in this game.

Spoiler

Sprigatito, the grass-type starter

Fuecoco, the fire-type starter

Quaxly, the water-type starter

Starly, a flying-type Pokémon that was essentially the Pidgey of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl(Staravia, Staraptor)

Hoppip, a grass-type Pokémon with no pupils and possibly no soul (Skiploom, Jumpluff)

Psyduck, the water-type Pokémon that needs an IV of ibuprofen (Goldfuck)

Petilil, a grass-type bulb Pokémon meant to populate the lower-level areas (Lilligant)

Bounsweet, another grass-type bulb Pokémon meant to populate the lower-level areas (Steenee, Tsareena)

Combee, a bunch of bug-flying-type bees shaped like of honeycombs (Vespiquen)

Drifloon, a ghost-flying-type nightmare (Drifblim)

Meowth, the cash-hungry normal-type cat Pokémon (Persian)

Pelipper, a pelican Pokémon saddled with perhaps the weakest type matchup: water-flyin (Wingull)

Clauncher, a shrimpy water-type Pokémon (Clawitzer)

Swablu, an airy normal-flying type who eventually evolves into a kickass dragon (Altaria)

Pikachu, because the Pokémascot is essentially mandatory at this point (Pichu, Raichu)

Blissey, a normal-type Pokémon with frankly too much HP (Happiny, Chansey)

Seviper, a poison-type serpent who’s typically locked in blood feud with its counterpart, Zangoose, not yet seen in any Scarlet or Violetpromotional materials

Larvitar, a rock-ground little dragon who’s useless until you hit level 55 (Pupitar, Tyranitar)

Magnemite, which ruled when it was just electric-type but is slightly less awesome now that it’s part steel-type too (Magneton, Magnezone)

Lucario, the Super Smash Bros. fighter who was seriously nerfed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate(Riolu)

Stonjourner, a rock-type Pokémon that’s essentially an Assassin’s Creed Valhalla set personified

Dratini, a classic dragon-type Pokémon who only shows up as a statue in a fountain (Dragonair, Dragonite)

Right I should mention, and adding this to OP, but be sure to spoiler stuff from here on out just to be safe. Obviously official trailers are fine since you need to actually click them to see what they say

Well, the second trailer has arrived.

Spoiler

Game apparently launches 18 November this year.

Looks like our Pikachu-clone this Generation is the pure-Electric Pawmi.

We also get the Normal-type Lechonk and the Grass/Normal-type Smoliv.

Our Legendary Pokémon this time around are Koraidon (Scarlet) and Miraidon (Violet). Apparently they have powers far surpassing those of other Pokémon.

We also have version-exclusive professors Sada (Scarlet) and Turo (Violet), and a rival named Nemona.

Unfortunately, we don't have a region name or a "gimmick" yet. 😕

Spoiler

The fact that we're doing a "past and future" theme is pretty neat. Didn't expect two professors, it made me think how wild it'd be if they do different starter evolution for each game but dunno if they'd go that far.

I really like the legends and am unsure which I prefer. Though I worry they'll copy Reshiram and Zekrom typing-wise (granted those are cool typings)

I do like the chonky pig but I kinda love Smoliv, it's wiggly expression just perfect

Spoiler

I'm leaning towards Violet just because blue's my favorite color, and Miraodon does look pretty cool.

Different professors is surprising, but nice if they're making more differences like that between the two versions.

I think this is the first time we've seen the new starters in 3D? Still absolutely adore Fuecoco. I love that little doofus.

And now we have ourselves a third trailer!

Spoiler

The region's name is Paldea (not to be confused with "Palkia" or "Dialga").

Paldean Wooper is a Poison/Ground-type.

We also have Fidough (Fairy) and Cetitan (Ice).

The gimmick is also revealed to be a Terastal phenomenon, and some can even change forms based on their Tera Types.

About gimmick and gyms

Spoiler

The Terastal Pokemon thing seems kinda nutty potentially, am torn if I like how they look. They're silly but I kinda like it.

Also apparently you can challenge the gyms in any order but the official site says "You can choose to battle a stronger gym leader" so unsure if it scales which is a shame but for me not the end of world given evidentially gyms are just one part of this

And then we have some news.

Spoiler

We got a new Dragon/Normal-type, Cyclizar.

Some new moves, abilities, and items.

• Covert Cloak covertly protects the holder from the additional effects of moves (it's mentioned on the website though?)
  • Loaded Dice item makes multi-hit moves more likely to hit more times
  • Mirror Herb item mirrors opponent's stat changes, but only once
  • Shed Tail sets a substitute then switches out
  • Terablast changes type based on Terastallisation, and (according to the website) deals damage based on either the user's Attack or their Sp. Attack, whichever is higher.

And the return of some Battle Stadium thing.

Edited by Cibryll

Even more news! Not a lot, though, but it's still something. I Link Summon this link!

Spoiler

Grafaiai is a Poison/Normal-type, and a Toxic Monkey Pokémon with Unburden or Poison Touch as possible Abilities.

This is the first official Poison/Normal-type, I think?
Weak against Ground and Psychic, resists Poison, Bug, Grass and Fairy, immune to Ghost, and neutral to everything else.

Sorry for the double post, but another trailer has arrived!

Attempted summary for those who can't (or don't) wanna watch the video.

Spoiler

Three new Pokémon have been revealed.

• Klawf is a Rock-type that has either Shell Armor or Anger Shell as an Ability. The new Ability drops the user's Defense and Sp. Def by 1 stage, but raises their Attack, Sp. Atk and Speed by 1 stage, when its HP drops to 50% or lower.
  • Armarouge is a Fire/Psychic-type with the new Special Fire-type move Armor Cannon which deals damage, but lowers the user's Defense and Sp. Def. Like the Larvitar line, Stonjourner and Koraidon, however, this Pokémon is exclusive to Scarlet.
  • Ceruledge is a Fire/Ghost-type with the new Physical Fire-type move Bitter Blade which deals damage and heals the user by up to 50% of the damage inflicted. Like the Bagon line, Eiscue and Miraidon, this Pokémon is exclusive to Violet.

Moreover, a Grass-type Gym Leader, Brassius, has been revealed.

There are three stories - the first is Victory Road, where you go to various Gyms to achieve the Champion rank.
The second is Path of Legends, where you help Arven research and find special ingredients, guarded by Titan Pokémon (they're much larger than usual). Klawf is one such Titan Pokémon.
The third is Starfall Street, where you have to make stars fall from the sky have to stop Team Star, a group of the school's most rebellious students, but these are split into various squads with their own bosses.

You can have your Pokémon exploring with you out in the field, but this time, you can even send it on its own in any direction you choose. So it'll find items and even battle wild Pokémon and Trainers, apparently. During these automatic battles, you don't need to interact with it while it's going on - so you can look for items while progressing in the meantime. Auto Battle victories earns items and experience points.

In regards to new Mons, and mechanics

Spoiler

I dig all the new Pokemon honestly, but edgelord is my second favorite so far, first being Smoliv, it's so extra. Also has a fire type draining punch which is neat.

The autobattle thing is fun and I like it seems it's optional along with the walking with the pokemon? Which is pretty cool.

Also something neat was how the Grass gym leader used the crystals on a non-Grass type, opens up a lot more options for gym leaders so that's a nice usage of gimmick.

And we get another trailer revealing…

Spoiler

A new Water-type Pokémon, Wiglett. Apparently not a Paldean Diglett, this Pokémon has Rattled and Gooey as its possible abilities-- or rather, possibilities. 😛

I… don't see a way to make a table on the forums. Hm. Oh well~

For the new Pokémon revealed so far, we have:

• 4: Normal
  • 3: Fire
  • 2: Grass; Water; Poison; ???
  • 1: Ice; Fairy; Electric; Ground; Psychic; Ghost; Rock; Dragon
  • 0: Bug; Dark; Fighting; Flying; Steel

We have one known regional variant (Wooper) and 16 new Pokémon.

So yeah.

(Also using ??? for those whose types aren't revealed yet - namely the mascots.)

New Pokemon thoughts

Spoiler

Wiglett is perfect. It's goofy and didn't expect it to be Water type but that's pretty cool. Especially cause I want it on my team.

I love the idea that it's definitely not a Diglett variant

So far the three I'm thinking of using (though could change my mind on a whim when actually in game) are Smoliv, Ceruledge, and Wiglett

And another new trailer revealing… the power that's inside.

Spoiler

Girafarig gets an evolution, Farigiraf (another palindrome) and it's a Normal/Psychic-type?
It gets Armor Tail (Pokémon can't use priority moves on it) and Cud Chew (eats a held berry a second time at the end of the player's turn) as its Abilities.

There's a TM machine that you can use to create TMs (using materials found in Paldea, as well as League Points), though you can only use each TM once (but you can craft multiple of them).

There's a Picnic mode. So you can take photos with them, you can feed 'em food (with special effects such as HP restoration), you can play with them (and apparently if you've got two compatible Pokémon out, you can find a Pokémon Egg--!?) aaaaand you can clean them.

Tera Pokémon can sometimes be found in the wild, with a special aura around them. (Wonder if Lucario can detect these.)

The current totals, unless I regally messed up somewhere far away from Paldea (like the Pokémon world's version of South Africa), is…

• 5: Normal
  • 2: Grass; Water; Poison; Psychic; ???
  • 1: Ice; Fairy; Electric; Ground; Ghost; Rock; Dragon

We still have one known regional variant (Wooper) though we've got 17 new Pokémon (with known names, at least).

Forgive the double post~

Yet another new trailer revealing… a shocking discovery.

Hide contents

Paldea's Electric-type Gym Leader, Iono, has the new Electric-type Bellibolt as a partner Pokémon, and it gets the new Electromorphosis Ability, which raises the power of its next Electric-type move after it gets hit by an attack.

I'm wondering if this power boost is the same as using the move Charge, or if those would stack (in which case that could be devastating).

Iono was revealed on Wednesday, though that's all that's new in that trailer. She's a professional streamer and influencer.

The current totals…

• 5: Normal
  • 2: Grass; Electric; Water; Poison; Psychic; ???
  • 1: Ice; Fairy; Ground; Ghost; Rock; Dragon

Known regional variants: 1 (Wooper)
New Pokémon with known names: 18

… huh. Can't close spoilers in preview mode. Didn't know that.

Love the design of the latest Pokemon shown... but am I the only one that thinks it's name is a bit on the lame side? I love that they teased the new gym leader could possibly be a Steel type leader with the Magnemite hair bows or whatever as well

So... the other day, Pokémon revealed yet another new Pokémon for ScarVio... and here is that video 

My thoughts 

Spoiler
Love the name, the Pokédex entry is WAY dark. I wonder if it's gonna have an evolution

And so, another bit of news is revealed. No shadows being devoured by even darker shadows here, though--

Spoiler

Two new Pokémon have been revealed, apparently "Great Tusk" (Scarlet) and "Iron Treads" (Violet), who will be investigated with details from version books apparently.

The first Tera Raid Battle event is announced - a Dragon Tera Type Charizard, available from 2 December to 5 December and again from 16 December to 19 December. Yep, we're getting Charizard again. (No idea if Venusaur or Blastoise are gonna join in the fun at any point though.)

Eevee will be in a Tera Raid Battle during an Eevee Spotlight event, from 25 November to 28 November.

If you have save data for the other Pokémon games on the Switch, you'll apparently get special Rotom Phone cases.

Connectivity with Pokémon HOME is due for Spring 2023, so until then, none of them will be going home, I guess.

There's also going to be a first-day patch required for online functionality (and it's 1 GB).

Also a warning to those that do not want to be spoiled: apparently some things about the games have leaked (again).
I don't know when Mario will get around to fixing those pipes though, but either way, some sites may be best avoided until after the games release next week Friday.

I love that ghost types are getting lots of love in the reveals this generation. Yes I realize neither of the 2 newest reveals are ghost (likely 1 ground and 1 steel) but the ones before it are ghost and I might be running a ghost team once the game launches