Sign in to follow this  
SecondSeraphim

Errata Challenge!

Less a contest then a challenge. I was playing with the idea of creating errata to weaken the Dragon Rulers a bit so they would still be usable but not as broken as they are right now, and I'm curious to see what other people can come up with in regards to possible erratas for other forbidden cards. 

A. Theme/Task

Erratas for forbidden cards. 

B. Entry requirements

No fees! No required levels! Let me see what you've got!

C. Deadline

Deadline is 2/8/19 (dd/mm/yy) at 5:00pm CST, with the results of the contest being made available sometime the following day!

D. Prizes

All entries get a like for the effort. Winning card gets 3 reps! (PS: I still can't figure out how to give reps. Can I get some help?)

E. Your judging criteria

Generated cards are not required and won't contribute toward judging. Please list the current effect of a card and designate it as "original effect" before posting the errata'd one, then you need to explain WHY you think the errata would work. Points will be given based on creativity, how well the errata makes the card usable without completely negating why people used it. I'll  post an example below. Don't worry though, it won't be eligible for my own contest!

Edited by SecondSeraphim

Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos

Original effect: If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can banish a total of 2 FIRE and/or Dragon-Type monsters from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card; Special Summon this card. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand. You can discard this card and 1 FIRE monster to the Graveyard, then target 1 card on the field; destroy that target. If this card is banished: You can add 1 FIRE Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Errata'd effect: If this card is in your hand or GY: You can banish either 2 FIRE and/or "Dragon Ruler" monsters from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card; Special Summon this card. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand. You can discard this card and 1 FIRE monster to the Graveyard, then target 1 card on the field; destroy that target. If this card is banished: You can add 1 FIRE Dragon-Type monster, or 1 "Dragon Ruler" monster, from your Deck to your hand, other than "Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos". You can only use 1 "Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos" effect per turn, and only once that turn. You can only control 1 face-up "Dragon Ruler" monster.

Reason for errata:
First, I changed the summoning cost so that you have to discard either 2 monsters of the same attribute so you can't use generic Dragons as material for their summons. This won't matter a lot of the time, but I felt it would be enough to make him not so generic. I changed his seach effect so that he can't search out a copy of himself, but CAN search out his co-rulers for consistency, and finally to reign back the rank 7s a nudge I made it so that you can only control a single Dragon Ruler.

I'm in:

Morphing Jar #2
EARTH/Rock/Flip/Effect/Level 3
800/700
F LIP: Shuffle all monsters on the field into the Deck. Then, each player excavates cards from the top of their Deck, until they excavate a monster. Special Summon all excavated Level 4 or lower monsters in face-down Defense Position, also send the remaining cards to the GY. You can only use this effect of "Morphing Jar #2" once per turn. 

During the End Phase of the turn this card was activated, add “Spellbook” Spell Cards with different names from your Deck to your hand, except “Spellbook of Judgment”, up to the number of "Spellbook" Spell Cards activated after this card’s resolution, or, you can Special Summon from your Deck 1 Spellcaster-Type monster whose Level is  equal to the number of "Spellbook" Spell Cards activated after this card’s resolution. You can only activate 1 “Spellbook of Judgment” per turn.

OG:

During the End Phase of the turn this card was activated, add “Spellbook” Spell Cards from your Deck to your hand, except “Spellbook of Judgment”, up to the number of Spell Cards activated after this card’s resolution, then, you can Special Summon from your Deck 1 Spellcaster-Type monster whose Level is less than or equal to the number of cards added to your hand by this effect. You can only activate 1 “Spellbook of Judgment” per turn.

Sorry took me so long to grade this, it's been a busy couple of weeks.

TheEternalWinterthat would certainly be enough to get the card off of the ban list. I wish you had listed why you wanted to change it thought.

Darjyou don't say why you want to change it, nor did you post the original text. I don't really see how this card fixes the problems the first one had.

Gonna have to give TheEternalWinter the win.

2 hours ago, SecondSeraphim said:

TheEternalWinterthat would certainly be enough to get the card off of the ban list. I wish you had listed why you wanted to change it thought.

Darjyou don't say why you want to change it, nor did you post the original text. I don't really see how this card fixes the problems the first one had.

Oh, you stated the conditions on the criteria. I skipped them because I expected them in the Task section.
The major change is that now it only Summons 1 monster rather than the same number of monsters that were spun into the Deck. That ensures it doesn't get out of hand by summoning multiples and milling many more cards.

Edited by Darj

On 3/4/2019 at 9:35 AM, SecondSeraphim said:

During the End Phase of the turn this card was activated, add “Spellbook” Spell Cards with different names from your Deck to your hand, except “Spellbook of Judgment”, up to the number of "Spellbook" Spell Cards activated after this card’s resolution, or, you can Special Summon from your Deck 1 Spellcaster-Type monster whose Level is  equal to the number of "Spellbook" Spell Cards activated after this card’s resolution. You can only activate 1 “Spellbook of Judgment” per turn.

OG:

During the End Phase of the turn this card was activated, add “Spellbook” Spell Cards from your Deck to your hand, except “Spellbook of Judgment”, up to the number of (1) Spell Cards activated after this card’s resolution, then (2), you can Special Summon from your Deck 1 Spellcaster-Type monster whose Level is less than or equal (3) to the number of cards added to your hand by this effect. You can only activate 1 “Spellbook of Judgment” per turn.

1) Only counts spellbooks activated after it, no more cheesing with Upstart

2) Summon or Add, not both

3) Summon level has to be exact, no more using 5 cards and then summoning jowgen