Sleepy

About TCG...

Question

Is there a way we could change the way things run at the TCG forums?
Most of the new stuff ends up bundled together at their set of release at "news & Leaks", which have some sort of timer regulation that I can't be the only one that thinks it's a bit much of a pain to go learn in detail, since so far only Black seems to post them. I'd rather there be a main TCG section where cards are posted individually. I had to know Ankuriboh was a thing via facebook and YCM's TCG section of all places in order to dig around to see if it had been posted here.

I understand posting an archetype together but new stuff from the same set that have nothing to do with each other game-play-wise in the same thread don't feel right.

And what's exactly the difference between "News & Leaks" and "Card Discussions"? If the "news & leaks" are for cards to be discussed. Do we need 2 places? 
The former of which guarantees that individual cards won't appear in the thread title and that it be redundant to try to separate them at the latter for individual discussion. If anything it's either too late to discuss individually after a while or somebody's threads are locked because of the time rule, which I've seen a couple times happen already.

What do other people think of the way that section is getting organized so far? I wanna know if it's just an issue for me...
Let this be a place for feedback. I'm curious, and also curious on if there are any good reasons for why things are the way they are, and on how the problems and solutions weight against each other....

Edited by Sleepy

11 answers to this question

Yeah, I honestly prefer YCM's way of doing it with individual/groups of on-theme cards having their own thread. It is much more apparent when a new card is revealed and it feels like a more open space for commenting.

Admittedly, I too feel the time rules on leaks cut a lot of potential activity in the section, and make getting the news more cumbersome through NCM. I would prefer the rule removed and instead enforce, or merge, cards from the same archetype/pseudo-archetype in a single tread.

The section is designed in the way it is in order to eliminate issues from the past. Namely, the race to post topics ASAP, early translations being taken as law, and simply being completely unorganized. While it's true that this sort of ruleset is better for leaks more than reveals, such as when a set drops and the remaining cards are shown early, it's in place to prevent these issues.

It was a happy medium from straight-up saying no news can be posted for an hour.

At this point, the reason that the Discussion section exists is for card discussion. Like, implications, new combos, etc. Not discussing new cards, so much. There is a game to discuss outside of reveals, though it doesn't happen often anymore.

As for me being the one to make all of the topics... That's because I like to be able to keep tabs on them myself, and I wanted the section to have a look about it before it premiered.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:11 PM, Sleepy said:

Is there a way we could change the way things run at the TCG forums?
Most of the new stuff ends up bundled together at their set of release at "news & Leaks", which have some sort of timer regulation that I can't be the only one that thinks it's a bit much of a pain to go learn in detail, since so far only Black seems to post them. I'd rather there be a main TCG section where cards are posted individually. I had to know Ankuriboh was a thing via facebook and YCM's TCG section of all places in order to dig around to see if it had been posted here.

I understand posting an archetype together but new stuff from the same set that have nothing to do with each other game-play-wise in the same thread don't feel right.

And what's exactly the difference between "News & Leaks" and "Card Discussions"? If the "news & leaks" are for cards to be discussed. Do we need 2 places? 
The former of which guarantees that individual cards won't appear in the thread title and that it be redundant to try to separate them at the latter for individual discussion. If anything it's either too late to discuss individually after a while or somebody's threads are locked because of the time rule, which I've seen a couple times happen already.

What do other people think of the way that section is getting organized so far? I wanna know if it's just an issue for me...
Let this be a place for feedback. I'm curious, and also curious on if there are any good reasons for why things are the way they are, and on how the problems and solutions weight against each other....

On 2/13/2019 at 9:56 AM, Tinkerer said:

Yeah, I honestly prefer YCM's way of doing it with individual/groups of on-theme cards having their own thread. It is much more apparent when a new card is revealed and it feels like a more open space for commenting.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:12 PM, A Crap Guide to CC said:

Admittedly, I too feel the time rules on leaks cut a lot of potential activity in the section, and make getting the news more cumbersome through NCM. I would prefer the rule removed and instead enforce, or merge, cards from the same archetype/pseudo-archetype in a single tread.

The convo on this died after blacks post which led me to believe y'all thought it a fine response.

Gonna revive this thread and ask people keep pushing if they think we need a change.

I still stand for my statement. Black's stance makes sense in a site/forum with plenty of activity and where content quality has higher priority. But NCM is not in such state, and more activity should have priority. I would rather have quantity over quality of content, if only to promote activity on the forum. When/if enough activity is established, then sure, quality rules can be applied.
I used to get YGO card leaks and news on YCM, now I have to go to YGOrganization, and still YCM.

As the former TCG mod, I stand with the users on this. The rules are too harsh, and too tedious, and too unnecessary for such a small community.

There was genuinely no reason whatsoever to deviate from what I had laid out originally on YCM.

I thought my silence would be interpreted as such, but I kind of wanted, hoped, that more people lurking around would put in their two cents rather than me pushing for something on my own.  Also, I started a new job mid February and I kinda forgot about this thread xD

I don't think "issues of the past" are much of an issue. People were eager to post something first, which lead to people wanting to get involved and ensuring somebody would post it ASAP. Now if the rules are tedious enough that only one or two members of the staff itself end up posting them and organizing them, it means regular members are not really making the habit of checking up the place for their news needs. I personally ended up using Facebook groups and old YCM's TCG section when I wanted to know if something new was around. The downside is a couple locked and/or hidden threads and that's probably it. Especially in such a small community as ours.

So for my own thoughts...

From what I can see it is probably for the best to change something in order to get more activity.

What we want to change to is also in question. Unsure I want to be exactly like YCM's way but we certainly need to mix it up.

As said, if people want change, they have to speak up. I never said no, I simply explained the situation at hand.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Tsumugi Shirogane said:

As said, if people want change, they have to speak up. I never said no, I simply explained the situation at hand.

Yeah...

The thread didn't seem to get a lot of traction when I made it, and I didn't wanna be the only one pushing if nobody else seemed to lean either way.
Right now it seems it got a bit more feedback.

On 4/9/2019 at 7:33 PM, LordCowCow said:

So for my own thoughts...

From what I can see it is probably for the best to change something in order to get more activity.

What we want to change to is also in question. Unsure I want to be exactly like YCM's way but we certainly need to mix it up.

Yeah not necessarily like YCM's. Just was pointing out that I had an easier time myself tuning in over there.

Right now the main section at TCG is "News & Leaks" which focuses only in sets as a whole. "Dark Neostorm" or "V Jump Promos".
Could be like the "Structure Deck Revolver" thread that has virtually no information other than "Konami is making this, tune-in in half a year to find out".
Could be like the "Dark Neostorm set" thread that is essentially a Discord chat as one scrolls up, bumping 80 to 100 cards together that only have the set release in common. It doesn't seem like there's much individual discussion on any card in particular but just passing comments on the bundles of leaks, and in the long term that doesn't look very organized once the full set is revealed anyways. Couldn't that have been a thread to Null Nun, a thread to the Assault Modes, a thread to Dino Wrestlers, etc. ?

And then there's the stuff I had just said about the time restriction on posting new cards. To me it seemed like perfectly good threads were locked for a nitpick, and those members didn't bother trying to remake the thread when the site's legal time came around. I don't think that rule is doing much good. How many members would even be fighting over "who posts this first" anyways? Like, 3 recurrent ones? It then goes from 1 to 2 potential locked/hidden threads and the card being out there in a thread nonetheless, to people not bothering to post it and going to other sites to read up on it, and building the habit of expecting cards to not be readily available here.

I have to leave for work in like 10 minutes so I can't dig up more on this for now xD
but those are my thoughts on what I don't find all that appealing about the section. Hopefully it helps when deliberating on potential changes to the rules, and hopefully more people jump into the thread to give their thoughts too. I wanna know in how much of this I'm alone xP

Edited by Sleepy