Tinkerer

Cold War Kaiju [Interest Check]

Hello, fine peoples!

Ok, so this RP is one that a came to me a few months back when I was talking to a friend.  The idea came back to me a few days ago, but I haven't been able to give it much thought until now, so bear with me for a bit since things are still rough around the edges...

Some Backstory

Spoiler

4 years ago a new element was discovered on Earth.  It held very few conventional properties of elements that had come before.  Its existence shook the foundations of the scientific community, and, despite its extreme rarity four years ago, more and more chunks of this odd crystalline element were being found by the day.

4 years ago was also the year that the first kaiju appeared.

Humanity, despite its confusion at the illogical appearance of these giant monsters, were largely able to kill these creatures before they did permanent damage to infrastructure.  However, it became immediately apparent that the crystals had some connection with the monsters.  A new race ensued.  Every country with means tried to collect and study these crystals and their connections with the kaiju.  As more and more of these crystals were collected, it appeared that more and more kaiju also began appearing.  Some of these kaiju even had unique fantastic traits.

Two years after this, Japan had its first breakthrough.  They had discovered a means of using the crystals in a way never thought possible.  They created the first kaiju hijack device.

The kaiju hijack device works exactly as it sounds.  It was a technology that hacked into the mind of one of the monsters by using the crystal element as a conduit to connect the kaiju brain to an outside source.  They initially tried using this to connect the kaiju brain to computers, but they found that computers couldn't process it, and all parts of the system failed.  This led to several euthanized kaiju, many overloaded computers, and an enormous number of lost crystals.

It was only when the government became desperate and decided to request a human volunteer that they made their first success.  Takao Ishihara, an older, high ranking military official, became the first person to connect his brain to a kaiju.

Premise

Spoiler

You are a citizen of one of the countries that has developed kaiju hijack technology.  One day, you are approached by a government agent and given a top secret document.  You have been chosen to participate in the kaiju hijack initiative, authorizing you as a potential candidate to connect your brain with a kaiju, enabling you to fully control one of these titans with your own mind - nuclear powers and all.  You will work with the government and use your kaiju for the purposes of research and combat versus other kaiju.

What do you say?

Character

Spoiler

Character creation is twofold.  You'll have an individual citizen app and a kaiju app.  App specifics will be added later if there is any interest.

FAQs

Spoiler

Is the connection between Kaiju and Hijacker a matter of manipulating the Kaiju like a video game character, or is there some mind-melding involved?

Spoiler

Yeah, hijacking is a mind meld rather than outside remote control.  Action with the kaiju is thought based and hijackers state that it becomes easier to control a kaiju effectively the more you do it.

how does society deal with the obviously hyper-destructive kaiju-battles that no doubt occur regularly?

Spoiler

While the public knows that the government have these kaiju capture devices, the individuals who control the monsters are kept to absolute secrecy (except in certain locations).  Kaiju fights are usually against wild kaiju and are usually directed to occur outside population centers whenever possible.  Since these kaiju have been popping up for four years now, governments have become especially adept at finding wild kaiju, luring them with light military craft and setting them up for combat with a hijacked kaiju.  The RP title is noting that countries have not considered going to war with these behemoths because mutually assured destruction and all that.

So yeah, that's the basic idea.  There is an outside narrative, so I don't plan on this being too sandboxy, but I've got to outline it a bit more.  This should give a bit of the theme behind it.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers!

Edited by Tinkerer

Curious, but hesitant. Is the connection between Kaiju and Hijacker a matter of manipulating the Kaiju like a video game character, or is there some mind-melding involved? And how does society deal with the obviously hyper-destructive kaiju-battles that no doubt occur regularly?

23 hours ago, ChampionZero said:

Curious, but hesitant. Is the connection between Kaiju and Hijacker a matter of manipulating the Kaiju like a video game character, or is there some mind-melding involved? And how does society deal with the obviously hyper-destructive kaiju-battles that no doubt occur regularly?

Good questions!

Yeah, hijacking is a mind meld rather than outside remote control.  Action with the kaiju is thought based and hijackers state that it becomes easier to control a kaiju effectively the more you do it.

While the public knows that the government have these kaiju capture devices, the individuals who control the monsters are kept to absolute secrecy (except in certain locations).  Kaiju fights are usually against wild kaiju and are usually directed to occur outside population centers whenever possible.  Since these kaiju have been popping up for four years now, governments have become especially adept at finding wild kaiju, luring them with light military craft and setting them up for combat with a hijacked kaiju.  The RP title is noting that countries have not considered going to war with these behemoths because mutually assured destruction and all that.

...of course, if anyone wants me to run with the World War Kaiju scenario, I'd be down to change things up to that end.

I'll toss this stuff up in the OP under FAQs.

Let's do this! The question I have is will there be mecha kaijus, like how in the Godzilla movies there was a mecha of Godzilla and Gidora?