yui

Yu-Gi-Oh: Battle Horizon (Closed)

bh7.png

OOC

January 5th

Like any MMO worth its price tag, Battle Horizon had cities to serve as in-game hubs for various player activities. At present there were only four, but the biggest and most popular one was Blue City, by far. There was never a boring day in "BC chat", though that being for better or worse was often a coin toss and/or up to interpretation. The functional parts of any other city, such as market boards, NPCs that served various purposes, duel arenas, and access to the game's fast travel system, could all be found in any major city, but the layout of it all in Blue City was sometimes noted to be especially intuitive and convenient. And all this was to say nothing of the city itself, added to the game a couple of major patches ago, and as such being the first city to not be part of the game on release.

In-universe, the lore surrounding Blue City was that it had simply appeared one day in an area called Scale Valley, supposedly coming from the future. The metal streets and bright lights of the city certainly sold the image, along with the city itself being contained within a large dome built to ward off the dragons that inhabited the nearby mountains, the inside of which came complete with a simulated sky. In a stark contrast to the general overcast of the plains outside, it was always a sunny day in Blue City, and with the anniversary event a mere two days from beginning, activity in the city was ever on the rise. Ambitious new teams, hardened veteran teams, solo players who just liked to watch others do new raid content, and even PVP teams sparring with each other in response to rumors of new PVP content being added for the anniversary patch. To say the city was bustling with player activity would be nonthing if not accurate.

Which included five players in particular. Not new players by any means, but certainly new to joining teams. Players by the usernames Teimei, TheLegend27, Crimson_Star, Ivy9d, and 9Inversions. It had been Teimei who conspired to create a new team in a bid to fill the power vacuum left by Royal Flush's breakup, despite the odds being stacked against her, and she had managed to recruit four other players to the cause. Strictly speaking, the minimum amount of players required for a team, and the amount recommended for doing a raid in the first place, was four. Not five. It wasn't uncommon, however, for raid teams to have a couple of extra members in case someone had to call out sick or busy on a raid night. Some larger teams even used numbers to their advantage by running several instances of the same raid at the same time to up their chances of success, but it was rare for a raid team to reach such a size.

First, of course, the filled-out team charter had to be submitted to the relevant NPC in any major city. Which was why Teimei had messaged each of the other four players, assembling them all in a very office-looking building in Blue City where, at the desk just behind her, the NPC in question sat, ready to accept team charters and deal with a handful of other team-related services. The reason she had specified Blue City, the only major city locked behind story progression? Simple. Teimei knew this new team would be at a disadvantage from the start - relatively speaking, this was after all an assembly of a bunch of nobodies - and they wouldn't have time to coddle new players through the story and potentially the grind to get their deck functional. The fact that one could access Blue City at all meant that the bulk of the work for getting them up to speed was already taken care of, saving precious time.

As the last of the members planning to join Teimei's team approached the building, they would spot another group of five players leaving the building, who earlier arrivals would have already seen enter and submit their own charter. And once they were inside, met with their future teammates, Teimei did a head count to make sure everyone was here. Pleased that everyone had arrived, the head of the fledgling team-to-be addressed her newfound companions.

"Thank you all for coming. I know we don't all have to be here for the charter being submitted, but we're going to be working together from now on, so I'd like us to all take the first step together, as a unit. Additionally, I'd like to ask everyone a couple of questions, as a group. We're all a team now, and as such, we should make decisions as a team. With that in mind, I'd like to hear any suggestions you may have for a team name. And, also as a team, I'd like to know what you all think is the most important thing that makes a team successful. Not because I plan to copy others who have risen to success, but because I want us to blaze our own trail to victory, and eventually to that mystery boss everyone's getting ready for."

HOST NOTES

Spoiler

And so our story begins! I've included the mention of that other group of players to give our own cast some options for what to do in their own post, while also accounting for the reality that it's extremely unlikely we all wander in at the exact same time like freakishly coordinated robots. I'm open to letting folks dialogue with this other group briefly, for which you should DM me and we collab it out. This also applies to answering Teimei's questions. Any other questions, comments, concerns, etc, don't be afraid to ask.

There will be a google doc with more info on the world of Battle Horizon at some point, but in its absence, don't be afraid to either ask questions or just make shit up if need be.

Edited by yui

Ivy was quick to step forward. The red-haired girl's avatar opened up her response to Teimei by taking a confident step forward, taking the massive black sword she carried and striking the point into the floor, stood leaning on it like a walking stick. 

"I think we should go with Team Beyond; We're on Battle Horizon, so we should want to fight so hard we go BEYOND that Horizon, right?" She grinned, excitement running through her. The day had been rather rubbish up to that point; She had been balancing the budget of the student council for an hour and a half despite not even being the treasurer, but Akito seemed incredibly dense at maths anytime she was around to do it for him. But now the prospect of the raid duels to come lit a fire in her belly that she was itching to put to the torch. "As for a successful team.... well, we just have to make sure everyone's at the right skill level, shouldn't we? If we can win in any situation then the raid bosses are easy!"

She scanned around the team, as well as the five across the way. Competitors, at the end of the day. "Teimei's record speaks for itself, and I feel pretty confident about my own. Well? How 'bout the rest of ya?" She grinned anew, winking at the rest of the team. "Might have to make sure we're all up to scratch; See what each other's made of!"

BGM

He hated how late he currently was at the present time. Crimson_Star, or Crimson for short, was currently rushing through Blue City, trying to get to a rendezvous point that his mutual friend...maybe that was too on the nose...perhaps just acquaintance or future team lead, Teimei, had sent him the day prior. So he had plenty of time to get to the point within a proper time frame...so why was he rushing and seeming like he was running late? Simple: time slipped away from him. He was simply doing his research on a few things before logging into Battle Horizon and thusly, it engrossed him to the point where he was in the predicament he found himself in.

While dodging a few of the various players and even NPCs, Crimson began to grit his teeth slightly. "...what's the saying...? My kingdom for a horse? I need to hurry up and get myself a sort of ride around here. Would make travel so much easier..." he huffed, glancing at the message in his HUD again. "Nearly there though...tch...terrible first impression for sure."

Well, he hoped he could fix that later on. Nevertheless, he found himself at an office-looking building here in Blue City and there with her Sky Striker avatar: Teimei.

"Thank you all for coming. I know we don't all have to be here for the charter being submitted, but we're going to be working together from now on, so I'd like us to all take the first step together, as a unit. Additionally, I'd like to ask everyone a couple of questions, as a group. We're all a team now, and as such, we should make decisions as a team. With that in mind, I'd like to hear any suggestions you may have for a team name. And, also as a team, I'd like to know what you all think is the most important thing that makes a team successful. Not because I plan to copy others who have risen to success, but because I want us to blaze our own trail to victory, and eventually to that mystery boss everyone's getting ready for."

Crimson stood there, his arms crossed as he listened intently to his future team lead's query. He brought a hand to his chin, seeming to ponder this question...luckily he didn't have to wait long for someone else to attempt to answer this before he did. The red and black haired user, Ivy9d, spoke up first.

"I think we should go with Team Beyond; We're on Battle Horizon, so we should want to fight so hard we go BEYOND that Horizon, right? As for a successful team.... well, we just have to make sure everyone's at the right skill level, shouldn't we? If we can win in any situation then the raid bosses are easy! Teimei's record speaks for itself, and I feel pretty confident about my own. Well? How 'bout the rest of ya? Might have to make sure we're all up to scratch; See what each other's made of!"

This elicited a chuckle from Crimson, as he finally began to speak up. "Quite the energetic but encouraging one. However, a record does not a Duelist make." he said, waving his hand in the air to dismiss the earlier thought from Ivy. "If one would recall, not every single Duelist and user that has logged into BH has their records set immediately from the get-go. They had to earn their rights to those stats and records. If we become complacent in just going off of a Duelist's record, we could simply be going in blind and following after an impossible situation."

He began to pace as he spoke...one arm behind his waist, the other seeming to make gestures in the air. "That said, I would say we've all experienced Teimei's skill to the point where we can see that she's earned the record she has, rather than simply being gifted that. She has the skill to back that number up." Crimson paused before sighing, pausing his pacing. "However, I feel like I just rambled there rather than answering your question, Teimei. So allow me to get to the point then...what is the most important thing to make a team successful: a good battle plan and strategy. And what do I mean by that, it's simple really..."

He turned on his heel, continuing to pace as he was earlier. "The more research and general planning in the situation of any given obstacle we have...say any specific Raid Boss...whatever information we have we can easily use to our advantage. Set the team up in a manner to where everyone shines in their appropriate spot..." He began to chuckle a bit. "It's simple gaming mechanics, honestly. Healers being put in a situation where they heal and support, the tanks take the brunt of the damage and the attackers strike until they win. So a good strategy and battle plan is key in a team, at least in my own eyes. As for team name, Beyond seems like it could work...so my vote is currently on it, although I'll add my own into the mix: Team Frontier. Battle Horizon is a new frontier in gaming, in both Duel Monsters as well as online gaming. It would be fitting for us to blaze through this new frontier on our way to the top, wouldn't you agree?"

Hector had had time to kill today, which was incredibly convenient since today was the day he and four others would officially become a team. He felt genuinely excited even if his face was currently hidden by Steelswarm Moth’s intense but rather blank expression. After all, one of the initial reasons Hector had signed up for Battle Horizon was to meet fellow duelists and eventually form a social group in his new home of Japan- even if only online. He neglected to do so, though, becoming more caught up in the single-player and story-related content. Sure, he would interact with other players every so often, dueling and socializing, and was active enough with others to be recognizable if you hung around the same places he did. Hector even got an invite from a clan or two, but usually he would just feel out of place and uncertain if it was even necessary to join a clan with how long he had been playing solo.

“I’ll join a clan once I’ve gotten more experience,” Hector would tell himself, which naturally caused the plan to constantly get pushed back due to Hector’s subtle perfectionism. When Royal Flush fell apart, however, and especially when KaibaCorp announced the new superboss event, he decided it was finally time to do what he originally set out to do: join a clan. There was certainly no shortage of new clans now; dozens popped up each day as seemingly everyone desired to be the next hottest clan by taking down the superboss.

“I guess I really have no excuse not to join with a group anymore,” Hector thought. “A brand new clan won’t have a ‘subculture’ to learn and acclimate to, and it more than likely won’t have any strange trials or hazings to pass. Fine. It’s well past time.”

So, Hector looked. He would casually wander through Battle Horizon’s world, observing those individuals and groups who caught his attention. His Battle Horizon pet, a curious monster named Steelswarm Scout, had actually ended up being rather helpful in this search, essentially acting as a second pair of eyes and excitedly flying towards something that would catch his attention. It was a… somewhat slow process at first. There were a LOT of people to sift through, so Hector decided to focus on first impressions: appearances, how they carried themselves, how they spoke when he would approach them, and of course, how they would duel if he came across them in the middle of a duel. Not long after that, he met Teimei.

Hector’s notice of Teimei was as good as it could have been. She looked like a swordstress from a cyberpunk future, a neat and sleek design Hector felt stood out from many of the other players and was immediately fond of. Her demeanor, while not “unfriendly”, was cold and austere, befitting her look well and her status as a potential team leader. Hector couldn’t help but already feel respectful of her, “familiar” too, given his exposure to similar people throughout the business world. Last, but certainly not least, Teimei seemed skilled in dueling. Her profile listed many wins outweighing her losses, and when Hector first met her, she had actually been in the middle of a duel. Well, more like the end of it, as her Shiranui samurais had quickly burned through her opponent’s defenses and lifepoints after some cleverly executed plays.

“I think… I think she’ll be a good one. Hopefully she’ll be as good a leader as she impresses.”

They had talked, exchanged messages, and Hector’s entrance into her fledgling clan was that. They only had to meet today around 2 PM to make the clan official. He logged on early to avoid potentially missing his meetup with the others, and so far had been killing time by people watching. Activity was certainly still as high as it had been when the superboss was announced, and Hector was enjoying looking at the way other players had designed themselves to look in-game. He… also made a habit of eavesdropping on conversations. Steelswarm Scout also seemed to be enjoying the boisterous activity, flying constantly from place to place in search of new interactions to observe. Every so often, some of the players he would spy on would have pets of their own, and a small, entertaining game of tag, “stealing”, or scuffle would ensue.

Eventually, Hector had lost track of time, and he was getting slightly impatient to finally meet with the others. From among the other team of players, mostly mingling among themselves save for the robot-looking player who was busy dealing with the NPC in the room, one of their number stood up. He was a man of pale skin, and considerable height. An intricate tattoo adorned his neck, and his attire wouldn't look out of place in any real-life setting of today. The tall man gave Hector a nod of acknowledgement.

"Yo. Neat cape."

Hector smiled behind his Moth’s visage, and nodded his head in appreciation to make his reaction more obvious.

"Thanks," he said, flourishing the wing-like tapestry behind him. "Maybe one day I'll actually be able to use these 'wings' as actual wings on here, but until then, I think they make a fine adornment."

Hector looked over the man more keenly now, checking out his own attire. He looked... fairly casual compared to many of the other players around, even the group he had come from. The one distinguishing feature he did have, though, was an intricate tattoo on his neck. Normally, Hector wouldn't have been fond of tattoos so close to the face, but seeing how this was technically a game still...

"Interesting tattoo design. I don't think I recognize it as the symbol for any monsters. Does it mean anything?"

"Dunno, actually. It's the same as what I've got on my real neck, I just thought it looked neat. Looks like I'm not the only one."

"Ah, I see," Hector replied. Even in real life, it was difficult to discern Hector's internal reactions beyond what he deliberately allowed, but he was still thankful of having Moth's visage active to cover up any potential negative expressions. A neck tattoo in real life? Rather... distasteful in his opinion.

Still, it wasn't like it was an obscene design, and it really was rather eye-catching in a more positive way. More importantly, the man had been cordial to him, and if there was one thing Hector enjoyed, it was compliments.

"Well, maybe you can go back to where you got the tattoo from and ask. It would be interesting to hear about its background."

Hector looked back to where the man had come from, paying closer attention to what seemed to be his teammates. A pink-haired girl with a rather stern expression caught his eye, and Hector couldn't help but give a small chuckle at the contrast.

"Are those your teammates? Are you guys just forming your group too?" He asked. "Oh, and what's your name?"

"Yep, that's the squad over there. Team Rising Star, the boss said we'd be called, since the plan is to rise up to the top and all. Me, I'm just here for a good time. You can call me Max, or you can use my username of Viator, I don't really mind either way."

Nodding toward those among Hector's teammates that had assembled in the building, Max asked in return "That your team?"

"Not a bad name all things considered," Hector replied, "Though- and maybe I shouldn't be encouraging the 'competition' and all- but it'll definitely take work to live up to that name."

Hector's attention briefly turned towards a rather loud and boisterous group proudly proclaiming their presence and intent to be "better than Team Royal Flush".

"Some certainly deserve a title more than others," he said, his Moth visage clearly glaring.

"Anyway, I'm 9Inversions, though I guess you can call me... 9? It's a mouthful, I know."

Hector followed Viator's nod. He laughed.

"Ha, yeah. And I showed up early to be one of the first ones present, but it looks like they all beat me to it."

Hector turned back towards Viator and extended his hand. Perhaps a very formal gesture in this world, but old habits die hard.

"It was good to meet you. Maybe we'll see each other later. You and the rest of your team."

"Good meeting you too, 9. I'm sure we'll see each other again before long, if we're walking the same path and all."

They parted ways after that, and Hector quickly set out to meet his new teammates. He felt… somewhat shy, oddly enough, despite being no stranger to interviews, formal meetings, and the like. Perhaps it was the novelty of the occasion, or maybe it was excitement manifesting as “nervousness”. Regardless, Hector brushed off the feelings and strode confidently towards the others, his cape flowing elegantly behind him as his pet Steelswarm chittered after him to catch up. The Scout grabbed onto his shoulder, resting atop it as Hector waved with the opposite arm.

“Good afternoon,” Hector called out, his yellow eyes already examining them. It looked like they had all just gotten here, with nothing “official” underway yet.

“Funny how you all technically got here before me; I’ve been lurking around Blue City for the past hour or so.”

Hector billowed his cape, taking care that it wouldn’t become messy and wrinkled as he sat down and waited for their meeting to begin.

"Thank you all for coming. I know we don't all have to be here for the charter being submitted, but we're going to be working together from now on, so I'd like us to all take the first step together, as a unit. Additionally, I'd like to ask everyone a couple of questions, as a group. We're all a team now, and as such, we should make decisions as a team. With that in mind, I'd like to hear any suggestions you may have for a team name. And, also as a team, I'd like to know what you all think is the most important thing that makes a team successful. Not because I plan to copy others who have risen to success, but because I want us to blaze our own trail to victory, and eventually to that mystery boss everyone's getting ready for."

Hector waited to speak, wanting to gauge the other members’ behaviors and ideas before offering anything of his own. The first to speak was Ivy9d, and her behavior was… definitely exuberant, confident, albeit maybe a tad too excessive on the display of eagerness. At least she was invested, and an interested cooperator was definitely a much more reliable and useful teammate than someone who cared little or only for niche things in an endeavor. Her ideas were actually pretty decent too. Aside from those details, Hector liked her name, thinking it sounded cool, and it coincidentally also had a 9 in it like his. Her black suit reminded him of the Evilswarms’ black carapaces, though judging by her name and more notably, the sword she so proudly brandished and leaned on, she probably wasn’t a fellow lswarm user.

“Likely a plant user judging by her name and her sword’s branch-like design. Good individual theming; I can appreciate that,” Hector thought to himself. Steelswarm Scout also seemed to have taken an interest in her sword, and slid off Hector’s shoulder to get a closer look at it.

Then was… Crimson_Star. Oh man, Crimson_Star. Hector said nothing, but his posture did shift. He crossed his legs and leaned upon the armrest next to him, tilting his head to rest upon his hand as the nobleman went on and on about records and skill and even longer about “simple game mechanics”.

“So… ‘extra’,” Hector thought with a hidden smirk, “Clearly trying way too hard to evoke a sense of refinement and intelligence. And I thought Ivy had been trying to show off.”

His eyes glanced over Crimson’s attire. Hector couldn’t really guess on his “theme” since he basically just looked like a human with some fancy clothes on. Very fancy clothes on.

“At least his clothes look good. Maybe I'll get my tailor to design me something similar."

When it finally came time for Hector to speak, he merely straightened and spoke clearly.

“I’m not sure I can answer that question,” Hector replied, “At least, not yet. Other teams have names based on a particular aesthetic, theme, or concept they strive to embody or that others have recognized them for. Maybe we should wait until we get a solid team composition and do a few raids and events to see what could fit us best. Then again…”

Hector looked over at the registration NPC. Teimei had to turn something in to officially create the team. Hopefully whatever she ended up using was good, and if not, then hopefully it was possible to change it later on. He shifted his gaze to the other players assembled with him and thought. Hector didn’t know their decks yet, which is why he had been paying attention to their avatars’ designs and usernames for an idea. Other than Teimei, Crimson, and Ivy, there was… just thelegend27. He stood out to Hector, mostly because he was the only other person there who wasn’t using a completely human avatar. Technically speaking, Hector used a human avatar himself, but you currently wouldn’t be able to tell due to the Steelswarm Moth “headpiece” being active in addition to the rest of his design.

“Definitely an insect user. Seems unusually chipper for some reason.”

After a few more moment of silence, Hector spoke up again, though he figured his suggestions weren’t as good as what had been offered so far.

“So… two insects, a plant, a nobleman, and a warrior,” Hector finally said aloud. “I don’t know… Garden of Eyes? The Wicked Garden? Those kind of fit with what we currently have. Too specific, though. Maybe Parasol, since we’re a fairly varied group by the looks of it, but we’re under the same umbrella?”

Hector paused as he thought some more.

“… Team… Excel. No, Excise. Team Excise. We’ll be a cut above the rest if we manage to pull this off, and we’ll certainly have to cut off and through anyone who tries to stop us so that they’ll no longer even be a factor in the grand scheme of things. And as far as successful teams go… I don’t think there’s one specific thing that leads to success, but some things are definitely more crucial than others. I’d say… communication, which is a pretty broad topic the way I’m thinking of it. Other than obvious talking, it’s knowing your teammates’ preferred playstyles and ace plays, transmitting and interpreting intent, and basically anything that goes into strategizing and improvising based on what they present.”

Edited by Bel

Today was the day.

TheLegend27's day.

For today, he would join his new guild.

What kind of people would he meet? He didn't know.

What sort of adventures would they have? He didn't know.

It was so exciting!

He logged into the game, appearing in the Blue City. He stood on top of the buildings, grinning to himself. He never regretted finding ways to climb these things. He dashed off, leaping from rooftop to rooftop to get to their meeting point. The building was really easy to find. It only took him a few minutes to get there.

He leapt off the top of the building, feeling the wind whip by him as he dived towards the ground. He held his arms by his side, reducing his air resistance as much as he could, becoming a black speeding bullet. When he neared the ground, TheLegend27 flipped around, landing on the ground in a traditional superhero landing.

"Nailed it." the man thought gleefully to himself. He stood up, and noticed a group leaving the building. His eyes was drawn to one of them in particular, an orange looking robot. And the robot's single eye locked on to him. The two stared at each other silently. TheLegend27 had to admit... that robot avatar was really cool. Doing his best to keep a cool image, he stood up, walking to the building. The two passed each other with exchanging a single word, and yet the air was tense around them.

That robot was so goddamn cool.

He made it just in time to hear his new team leader's opening speech.

Before he could answer, everyone else stepped forward with their own suggestions.

"I think we should go with Team Beyond; We're on Battle Horizon, so we should want to fight so hard we go BEYOND that Horizon, right?"

As for team name, Beyond seems like it could work...so my vote is currently on it, although I'll add my own into the mix: Team Frontier.

“… Team… Excel. No, Excise. Team Excise. We’ll be a cut above the rest if we manage to pull this off, and we’ll certainly have to cut off and through anyone who tries to stop us so that they’ll no longer even be a factor in the grand scheme of things."

All fine suggestions. However, there was an easier way.

"If we are truly trying to become a team, then choosing a name is out of the question." TheLegend27 raised his arms defensively as he saw the leader glaring at him. "Wait, hang on, don't look at me like that, I'm going somewhere with this." Clearing his throat, the man continued. "We must combine names, like we are combining forces. With that in mind, I would like to suggest the name Team---"

The man suddenly struck a pose, standing on one foot as he raised an arm over his head and crossed his other arm over his chest. "Beyond!"

With the grace of a cat, the man bent forward, once again balancing on one leg. His other leg stretched behind him like it was a stiff tail, and his arms were spread like wings. "Excise!"

With one final show of athleticism, the man sprung forward, standing on a single hand as his legs raised up, bending to make a diamond. His free hand made half of a heart shape that he placed in front of his face. "Frontiers!" A loud explosion of lights and colored smoke erupted behind the man as he struck the final pose, and digital confetti rained from the sky. He never regretted getting that emote. "Oh yes, if you have a name you'd like to suggest, Ms. Leader, I will find a way to mash in there with the rest!"

He didn't dismount from his pose as he continued.

"As for the most important thing our team needs for success, that thing is... friendship!" The man pointed at all his teammates. "And I don't mean some anime 'power of friendship' bullshit, although that would be nice! You all bring up very valid points, and they are important... BUT! We could have the greatest skills, the most up to date knowledge, and the greatest communication, but if we have an unwelcoming presence, for both current members and any future members, and drive someone away, then we have failed as a team!"

He nodded like he had just spoken wise words, and was not hand standing in a goofy pose as he delivered it.

Edited by Saikazo

Teimei listened carefully to the answers her teammates-to-be had provided. What made a successful team? No two answers seemed to be the same. Skill. Knowledge. Communication. Friendship. Each answer received a nod of acknowledgement, before she went over her own opinion and the matter of the team name.

"All good answers, and all important. In short, it all boils down to experience! With the game, and with each other! Building one will lead naturally to the other, so expect plenty of raiding moving forward, both to get that valuable experience and also to expand the possibilities for our respective decks! To that end, I'd like us to go to the Magnet Isles to fight an old boss or two. Just to get some raiding experience under our belts. But first, I should actually get the team properly made."

The team charter. That had to be turned in still. The votes were... interesting. One vote each for Team Excise, Team Frontier, and Team Beyond Excise Frontier, and then the outlier. Team Beyond. The only name that had gotten a vote of confidence from someone besides the person who came up with it. "We can change it later if we come up with something better, but for now..."

Teimei turned, briefly interacting with the NPC and turning in the team charter. This was the point where she was tasked with assigning the team a name and an acronym. After a short moment of getting through dialogue and such, the five players assembled in the building would see a set of letters appear above their usernames.

<BYND>

"For now, we'll be Team Beyond! May we live up to our name and go beyond, whether that's beyond a metaphorical horizon, or beyond the expectations of other teams. I'm not sure what KaibaCorp plans to announce on anniversary, but hopefully we'll be ready for it by the time it happens. For now, we've got some Magnet Isles to visit. We won't learn without experience, after all!"

True to their name, the Magnet Isles were islands that acted as magnets, with the distance between one island the others being fairly short and covered by bridges of solid electricity. Of particular note in this area was the general scenery. While much of Battle Horizon's world featured vast plains, towering mountains, and lush forests, the Magnet Isles were distinctly none of those things. Or rather, what a computer might think those things were if it understood nothing about things like trees. The plant life here was in fact not plant life at all, but towering tangles of wires and poles built to resemble trees and bushes. The very ground beneath the team's feet, indeed, was made of metal. This was very clearly an area geared toward machine-type opponents, and it showed in how what enemy monsters could be found roaming around were indeed machines.

But Teimei had led the group to a raid boss's domain, not to the sights to be seen. A mountain in the island's topography gave way to a cave, which first gave way to what appeared to be some sort of weapons factory, and then to an underground hangar. From within, the team could hear whirring and clanging, as the assembly lines within labored away at creating deadly armed robots.

RAID BOSS: XYZ-Dragon Cannon
DIFFICULTY: 3*

ENTER THIS RAID?
[ ENTER WITH PARTY | OPEN PARTY FINDER | CANCEL ]

"Here we are. A three-star boss sounded like a good starting point, since they're still easy, but not completely braindead. That just leaves the matter of turn order. Someone has to bite the bullet and go first. Any volunteers?"

OOC

Spoiler

I as a host am too fond of "you're in a room, interact" as a starter, so I'm trying to avoid that by moving straight to the first boss, which I'm using as a sort of testing field to see how to best handle Raid Duels. Since this is an RP all about cooperation, please do discuss things like turn order in the discord server, where I'll also post a big ol' google doc for the raid itself once that gets started as a collab thing. I don't usually jump straight into the action like this, so it may feel a bit abrupt or bumpy, and if so, sorry.

Also, a world map is on my to-do list. That sort of thing is difficult to get to a point I'm satisfied with though.