LordCowCow

MechA cademy [OOC/PG-13/Co-Hosted by Skaia/Not Accepting]

Fancy Logo

Unofficial Theme

Interest Check

Spoiler

Many years ago the current president of earth, a descendant of a man known to history only as the God Emperor of America, created a massive wall around the Helios System when other planets started to visit. They have been blocked off for hundreds of years and most historians agree there's no way they could have survived on their own like that up to this point.

However 25 years ago the wall opened up and the rest of the universe got attacked by an unknown force which, after five years, retreated back behind the wall

This prompted the President of Space to open up more Mech Academies, and opened them up to anyone who could pass the test, focusing on 14-20 year olds, because of some old Earth documentaries depicting that young pilots, whose ages are usually debated but generally thought to be around that age range, tend to be saviors from various threats.

And that's the bare-bones description of this RP. You are a new and promising Mech Pilot who has come to MechA cademy, one of many schools for mech combat and captain training, for various reasons. Be it adventure, money, or simply to get away.

I have always been somewhat interested in mechs but never was able to get into the nitty gritty. So I wanted to make an RP that was more light-hearted and less focused on the details. Where you can have fun being in a sci-fi themed world and also have some mech combat in there.

The RP will more or less be set on a base world and the students will go to classes. But the actual classes won't be a focus unless there's some event to go through. Instead the focus will be on what you do in the city. Finding odd jobs, taking on missions, occasionally fighting off invaders or going off to other planets to accomplish some task for the military.

While I want it to be more fun and light-hearted I know from experience that leaning too hard on that will make an RP stall and spin out of control. There will be serious, dark, and hopefully spooky, moments as well. So I do ask that you don't go too far in the ridiculousness to make characters that simply can't function. You are allowed to have serious themes in this just remember that the setting is going to be goofy at times.

It's my first time trying something like this but I hope that some of you would like to come along on the ride.

Oh and, semi-limited acceptance mainly cause I never want to go overboard with cast. 8 or so people is likely gonna be me my limit but it's not set in stone.

Rules

Spoiler

1. All site rules apply

2. Don't let another RPer hold you up for long. Contact them and if they still don't get back to you contact me or Skaia and we'll figure something out.

3. Gonna be somewhat lenient on activity to a point but if you consistently don't post or barely do anything in your posts you will be kicked. I don't want to waste time trying to force people to do things if they don't seem willing to try.

4. There will be a Discord and likely will have some form of information database over time. Not required however.

5. If you ever need anything to act let me or Skaia know. Do not just wait for something to happen. Do not just wait for someone to post. Even if neither of us are around you can still message us.

Story/Premise

Spoiler

This will be mostly repeat but the idea is that there has been a surge in training mech pilots due to concerns about the now active Helios System and the strange and dangerous aliens within. Most of the RP will be about the students going about their lives, learning, working, and mingling, but there will be plenty of military missions that they are sent on because the military in this universe is so scattered that they need even students to help out. You are the primary source of defense for the city.

There will likely be an overarching plot involving the Helios System but it will be more along the lines of loosely connected missions and events than anything else.

Setting

Spoiler

Located on the planet of Ardualf, the city of Baltaqi, is the location of MechA cademy. A school that has been around for many years but only recently really got a surge of students. It had been used as an outpost to protect the Inner Colonies from the threat of the Heliosites and has settled to become a sort of hub world for people traveling the system.

Thus while you can find many different species it's also predominately Human, which makes the bulk of the military run by the President of Space. The city itself is rather vast and the area near the school especially is known for shopping, fast food, and random spurts of criminal activity.

While the military keeps a presence on the planet and city it's rather barebones and the students of MechaA cademy are often asked to help clean up certain messes when things get out of hand. This can become a slight issue when the students themselves cause issues which is why the Principal has managed to gather several talented Mecha Pilots as staff just to try and keep things stable.

The school itself it a castle-like structure with mixed dorms, several Houses, sporting and mech combat arenas, cafeteria, and of course classrooms.

Houses

Spoiler

A staple of student life are the three Houses. Basically places where students get together to compete with each other and grow closer bonds. But mostly a way for students to debate who is better.

At the moment there are three major Houses.

House Steel Dogs. Well known for being the tough ones of the school they are led by a strict leader who strives to make sure everyone is getting the education and training they need.

House Sun Lizards. A bit more of a laid back house that loves to spread gossip, conduct surveys, and generally learn about their fellow students and the planets they visit. Led by a bit of a head-in-the-clouds playboy who seems popular with many female students.

House Bomb. An unorthodox house that doesn't seem to have much structure. The major thing you need to get along in this house is an appreciation for the art of explosions.

Mecha and Combat

Spoiler

The skies the limit...sort of. I want you to be sure that whatever mech you use can feasibly fight. Goofy is good but it won't be fun if you keep having to BS your way out of confrontations. The Mech are giant, at minimum several stories tall. I don't want to get too into detail (though you can) so that we don't end up running into issues where suddenly one character can't do anything because they happened to make their mech too small.

But the basic restrictions is nothing too over the top. Over time weapon upgrades and such is fine but you're not going to have a fully decked out murder machine right from the start. And make it something that you could actually see writing in combat with regularity.

Combat, for the record, will be anywhere from long range shootouts to robot fisticuffs. There will be some sort of "Magic" but the majority will be guns, lasers, and melee weaponry.

Note also that there will be missions on foot as well.

App Structure

Spoiler

Note you can change it up if you'd like (But I prefer simple to make it easier to reference) Feel free to put more spoilers in to separate things.

Name:
Race: (Give some information if something unusual, don't go too out there please)

Appearance: Put this in a spoiler. Either an image, height, and general build or three lines of description.

Personality: Put this in a spoiler. One paragraph minimum.

History: Put this in a spoiler. One paragraph minimum. Include why they are going to the school and what their main goal is in doing so.

Combat Style: What kind of fighting do they prefer?
Skills: Both combat and otherwise.

Other: Miscellaneous information that doesn't fit elsewhere.

In a separate spoiler place "Mech Information"

Name: If the mech has a name put it here. Even a nickname is fine
Appearance: Spoiler this. Be as descriptive or not as you want but please have at least a brief general write up of how it looks. Or use an image. Or both. Remember to include any differences as mech images are harder to find specifics for than people.
Statistics and equipment: Basically put down what the mech specializes in and what kind of weaponry and gear it packs.

Accepted Apps

13 is my favorite number.

Now I'm noting interest in this, mind you. I'm unsure if I'll join, but I'm noting interest nonetheless.

Hey. So. Wanted a bit more interest before doing this but had time so...We an OOC now.

Also there's a Discord that's half running so there's that too.

Edit: App will go elsewhere actually, might as well put it in its own post.

One-Armed Delinquent Angel

Spoiler

Basic Information

Spoiler

Name: Kelsey "Kellz" Fionne
Race: Human

Appearance

Spoiler

Art by Piripun

Kellz is a bit on the compact side, standing 5'6" with a small frame. Extremely nonthreatening look that belies the muscles she hides under her clothing.

Personality

Spoiler

Kellz does what she can to keep upbeat. She knows that a positive attitude can fix anything and wants to show others that you can do anything whatever your circumstances. She dreams of being an inspiration but she struggles with a bit of a goofball and delinquent attitude. She doesn't like to do things the right ways and tends to try things how she feels like it instead. She also doesn't have much care for regulations and tends to break rules here and there because she feels like it.

She has always been scrappy and energetic. She doesn't fight to prove anything per say but instead as a way to unleash the energy she builds up. She gets antsy, people get agitated, she feeds on this, and it results in her getting a bit physical.

Easily affected by the mood in a room she tends to project what people are feeling and amplify it with her somewhat manic energy. If everyone is upset she starts to get antsy if everyone is excited she wants to do crazier things and so on.

Has a bit of trouble with faith. She used to be surprisingly religious but over time she's started to fall away from that. This loss of faith has caused her to try and find something to believe in again. She's currently stuck in the present with the hopes in finding a place to carve for herself. Once she thought that if she lived well she'd have paradise but nowadays she's unsure what the end goal is supposed to be anymore.

History

Spoiler

It wouldn't be right to say Kellz had a good upbringing. She was part of the rough crowd because of her family. Her uncles and father were all part of a gang and she was expected to join up as well. They weren't the most extreme when it came to violence, more a group of poor families grouping together to fight against their circumstances, but those outside could only see it as an outcast group of troublemakers.

Which led the rough groups at school to try and mess with Kellz at any chance. Which she responded to with fighting back most of the time. She was often in and out of detention and only kept from being thrown out by having good grades and doing volunteer work around the town.

She gained a few friends here and there but she knew deep down that most of them just liked the reputation she had. They did push her into doing some underground fighting and she found that she enjoyed using her fists and decided to keep up with it. With a dream of becoming a pro fighter someday and crawl out of the environment she was growing up in.

Things got worse when her grandfather, the original leader of the gang, passed away and her father took over. He wasn't necessarily a bad man but he had a bit of a manic paranoia coupled with a minor drug problem and things steadily got worse as he started to believe they needed to actively fight for respect and territory. Expanding the gang from their own community and into more of the city. A dangerous endeavor for such a relatively small group.

Kellz found solace in three things. Church. Fighting. And a girl that she became unexpected friends with, named Stella. Whom she met during volunteer work. She started to hang out more with her and distancing herself from the family, much to her father's displeasure.

And then tragedy struck. While out for a drive, with Stella at the wheel, they were hit by another car. Some say that it was a rival gang. Some say it was a random act of God. Both options sucked in Kellz's mind. But the end result was that Stella lost a leg and Kellz lost an arm, plus some of her faith.

With her new arm, while the tech was impressive, she knew it would be more of a struggle to be a legitimate fighter. So she started to look at other means. And that's when she found out about the program for mech pilots. It wasn't something she thought she'd try but she had the reflexes and had the brains so she decided that she'd take a shot at it. Dragging along her friend with her she, faking her parents permission, signed up for the school and got accepted. Intent on making a place for herself in this world.

Abilities

Spoiler

Combat Style: Up close and personal. Kellz tends to get heated and go right into the fray, spraying rapid fire from close to medium range and bashing opponents when she gets close enough.

Skills: Fighty, knows her way around a brawl.
Streetwise, able to notice when something's going down and capable of keeping up in even the most frantic areas.
Determination, blessed with the simple will to keep going.

Other

Spoiler

Theme

-Tries to play off her arm though it's still a sore spot.
-Tends to expect her past to catch up to her at any time. Sometimes a bit jumpy around large groups of people that remind her of a gang.
-Likes to try and create things but is bad at it.
-Enjoys spicy food. Terrible cook. Dumps hot sauce on anything.

Mecha

Spoiler

Name: ScrapMaker Version III
Appearance

Spoiler

Statistics and Equipment: ScrapMaker is designed to allow for sudden boosts of movement. Used to suddenly close the distance and, once the distance is closed, make quick movements to keep from being pinned down. Equipped with a pair of assault riffles best used at medium to close range, as well as short range missiles located around the shoulders. Also equipped with secondary bladed weapons kept in the arms.

Strengths include mobility and ability to damage single targets quickly but it's weaker when it comes to prolonged damage and difficult environments. A very straight forward mech for a very straight forward mindset.

"Either turn em to scrap quick or get scrapped."

Stella will be here at a later date when a certain someone posts her.

WIP

Spoiler

rvBKi54.png

"The only question I ever ask myself is... why not?"

BASIC INFORMATION

Name: Alexander Azraelius von Übeldunkel (aka, Alex Doomdark)
Species: ???

APPEARANCE

Spoiler

"You aren't thinking weird things, are you?"

Even without makeup, Alex is easily taken to be a cute girl, and makeup is a tool in his arsenal he can wield with deadly effectiveness, especially against older men. He is a mere 148 cm (~4'10") and maintains a thin physique no matter how much he eats, keeping his weight around 37 kg (~81 lbs).

Image Credits: https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=73400535

QrbmD35.png

PERSONALITY

Spoiler

"

HISTORY

Spoiler

Alexander is the only son of the disgraced ace pilot, Drakis Doomdark, known as the Black Dragon, and an unknown mother. His father was a self-absorbed playboy and angry drunk, who never really knew how to or bothered with raising his son, leaving him to a nanny.

He decided to attend MechA cademy initially to see if he could provoke any reaction from his father at the announcement and the lack of reaction prompted him to seek his own triumph in surpassing his father at the one thing no one could deny his father was good at. As it was a spur of the moment decision, he lacks the will to actually follow through and his skills are average at best.

MISCELLANEOUS

Spoiler
  • Alex is partial to spicy foods.

Theme:

ABILITIES

Spoiler

Cooking Mastery: People sometimes underestimate the power of sharing delicious food to bring up people's mood and create good relationships. A glutton who eats with such relish that he makes other people hungrier, Alex recognized the power of food early on and sought to master it. Also the ability to turn slop into something edible was a valuable skill for a destitute boy.

Charisma: Though never in any way trained, Alex has figured out a good deal about plying others to his will by appealing to their desires and current emotions. He is a natural actor and his looks certainly do not hurt. His subconscious anxiety made him able to notice minor shifts in the people he's dealing with. He still has area for improvement and his fragile psyche can severely impair his skills, but he is extraordinarily good for his age.

MECHA

Spoiler

Edited by Aix

Tonight, on "Attack of the Killer Robots"

Spoiler

XHlSZcY.jpg

"Of course my eyes light up. I eat lots of carrots. Do you not eat carrots? You'll get fat if you do not eat a balanced diet."

Name: Sammi Knett (Surveillance Android Model 1001, Unit 102984)
Race: Robot

Appearance:

Spoiler

LI3ASjw.jpg
(art by DoReMi)

Height: 5'1"
Weight: 148 pounds

Sammi's appearance is modeled after the race that formerly lived on the planet she came from. She has stony gray skin, bright orange eyes, and of particular note, six fingers on each hand. Of course, being a robot, her skin is cold and metallic to the touch, and her hair feels not like hair so much as tons of super-thin wires strung together.

Personality:

Spoiler

Above all else, Sammi believes fervently in an era of perfection where all organic life has been exterminated, leaving machines to rule without the same errors or flaws organics have. It was the dream she was built for, her purpose in the world. However, her purpose isn't to kill, so while she'd be more than happy to see the day that all organic life is exterminated, Sammi isn't a bloodthirsty murder machine by any means. Her purpose is to retrieve information, and it shows. Highly inquisitive, Sammi won't hesitate to do research on any gaps in her understanding of the living world around her or the people within it. She's the type of girl that reads and shares trivia as a hobby, and often has a trivial piece of information on a given topic. In fact, one can hardly tell she isn't human at all! Which is an important feature of Sammi's model.

Because she was designed as a spy unit by a machine that told her organics would shut her down if they found out she was a robot, Sammi is paranoid bordering on demented about keeping her disguise intact. She looks organic, is capable of emulating and interpreting full ranges of emotions like her peers, and more, but this disguise isn't perfect. She can't eat or sleep like others, and her parts are detachable. Her body reacts poorly to water, and her "brain" reacts poorly to magnetism. These and more flaws can out her as a robot, though Sammi won't hesitate to try and justify any mishaps as something else, and is generally able to delude herself into thinking she's convinced everyone she isn't a robot.

She's not the only one of her kind of course, and all Sammi units were produced with randomly-generated personalities. The Sammi attending Mecha Cademy was given a knack for "subtle" insults and passive-aggression. Combined with her dry and cool default state, Sammi comes off as snarky and bitter, especially when her usual advice for a problem involves murder. Despite these traits however, Sammi is a positive girl. She dreams of a perfect future where everyone is happy, and she thinks the best way to make that dream come true is with science and knowledge. What does that have to do with being a mech pilot?

Why, nothing at all. But the military's enemy is Sammi's enemy, and she wants to visit lots of different planets. Since military work is an easy way to go lots of places, it seemed like an obvious choice to her.

Biography:

Spoiler

Manufactured in a far-off and forgotten corner of space, Sammi's creator was no human. It was instead, an old supercomputer that had fluked its way into reactivating, and is hellbent on the total destruction of organic life. However, between a lack of internet access, countless corrupted files on how to destroy different organic life forms, and what many of its creations believe is a faulty hard drive, this menacing supercomputer would be considered more of an annoyance than any real threat, assuming it ever did something big enough to warrant attention in the first place.

Rather than trying to fix its corrupted databases, this supercomputer created countless androids and scattered them across the stars, tasking them with taking notes and records about the life forms and civilizations of the galaxy so that it could update its database and work out how to destroy life, conquer the galaxy, and usher in a new mechanical era. Among them, Sammi. While by no means the only one of her kind, this particular Sammi unit happened to land on the same planet as Mecha Cademy, which was seeking promising new mech pilots. Joining such an important establishment and worming her way into the military was a perfect way to see many different creatures, plants, and cultures, and take notes on how to destroy them all. So, naturally, she joined.

Of course, her main information source on modern civilization was a faulty computer built thousands of years ago by an ancient race that nearly drove itself into extinction purely to try and kill off that very computer. As a result, she not only believes that exterminating organic life will lead to a perfect new age, but that said organic life forms can and will shut her down forever if it gets out that she's a robot. Which would be bad.

Combat Style: Aerial. Sammi prefers not to be in the heat of battle, instead supporting her side with bombardments from above.

Skills:

Spoiler

Chemistry: Mostly knowing what ingredients to mix to make just the right poison.

Cooking: Peculiar side effect of the above. Even though she doesn't and in fact can't eat, Sammi is a pretty decent cook, though she can sometimes be a bit too generous with the spices. Is best at pasta-based dishes.

Singing: Has the voice to be a great singer, but usually doesn't put any heart into it, leading her performance to fall flat.

Misc. Info:

Spoiler

Assuming none of them met any number of problems that could render their mission impossible, there are approximately 2-million Sammi units taking notes across the galaxy, plus a "Sammi Mother" responsible for updating the supercomputer's database with information the other Sammis send in.

While the race from her homeworld does exist, the planet they came from was rendered uninhabitable in a great war between them and the supercomputer that created Sammi.

Mech Info:

Spoiler

Name: SK-04

Appearance:

Spoiler

wB3I2c4.jpg

(art by quzken)

Statistics & Equipment:

Spoiler

The SK-04 is designed to support other fighters from the air, not having much in the form of damage despite its several armaments. The mech is capable of reaching high speeds in the air, making it an exceptional scouting unit, but can easily be shot out of the sky, and has virtually no mobility once grounded.

"Rain of Bullets" Minigun: Situated on the right side of the mech. This gun has a high rate of fire, but its accuracy isn't so great at the distances this mech will generally be fighting at.

"Thunderbolt" Pulse Cannon (x2): Accurate cannons that fire energy shots, They take time to charge up, but even at long ranges, are reliable as long as you know how to aim and lead your targets.

Cluster Bomb Canisters: Six containers that can drop a volley of explosives, situated on the left side of the mech. Completely useless on the ground, but can make for decent bombing strikes in the air.

Propeller: The SK-04's main mobility tool is pretty old, but still gets the job done. Allows for flight.

Thrusters: Located on the back of the wings, the SK-04 can use these for a short burst of speed or tight turns in the air. On the ground, these are the mech's only movement tool. At least it beats sitting around helplessly.

Friend of Nature

Spoiler

hvdBr5i.png

"I never got that term, "tree-hugger." Unless they're still young, trees are usually way too wide to hug."

Name: Vivian Marsh

Appearance:

Spoiler

99FtiIY.png
(art by rogu)
Height: 5'5"

Personality:

Spoiler

Ever the optimist, Vivian is the type that believes things will always figure themselves out somehow. As such, she tends not to stress out too much and do things at a slow, relaxed pace. And she'll encourage others to do the same. Rushing and freaking out just makes for a sloppy job, and although her relaxed pace may make her seem as if she doesn't care about the work, she'll be one of the first to insist that it get done properly. Nobody likes doing a poor job, after all.

She's also an exceptionally friendly sort. Always happy to make new friends, go the extra mile for the ones she's got, and more, Vivian believes that friends make life more enjoyable, and therefore better. Of course she'd want lots of them with that in mind! She's especially quick to befriend those who admire nature the same way she does: With both a magical sense of wonder, and a desire to learn and understand all the little details. Even if there's disagreements, or even no common ground at all, Vivian would much rather be someone's friend than not.

Because she never left her home planet or even thought much about what was outside of it until recently though, Vivian can be a bit dense when it comes to cultural differences between her and others, on top of just being kind of dense in general. She's happy to learn of course, and quick to apologize if she does something offensive, but the idea of other cultures simply didn't cross her mind for most of her life. Being exposed to so many people from so many parts of the galaxy at once has given her a whole new playground of knowledge to explore, and she's a keen listener when she gets the chance to learn about this holiday a far-off race has, or why wearing shoes is taboo on some strange planet.

Biography:

Spoiler

More than anything, Vivian adored all the creatures of nature. Big, small, deadly, timid, animal, plant they were all precious to her. And on the jungle planet of Colia, there was plenty of fauna and flora to admire. As such, it should be little surprise that she took to aspiring to such careers as a biologist or a conservationist. And for the most part, she's been taking steps toward those dreams with very few hitches. In fact, her biggest obstacle is a pretty recent one.

Colian citizens are required to go through a number of years of compulsory military service starting at age 18 due to dangers present on the planet, and Vivian is of course no exception. If she needs to enlist, however, she intends to do it properly and be the best she can at it. How? Why, by taking lessons at MechA Cademy of course! Once her compulsory service is over, Vivian fully intends to go back to what she was previously doing.

Combat Style: Mixed-range juggernaut. Vivian's mech is terribly immobile, but is heavily armored and packs a pretty nasty punch. Because it was designed as an artillery mech, Vivian prefers to fight from a distance if she can, but can handle the frontlines just fine.

Skills:

Spoiler

All-Terrain Girl: With the exception of icy terrain, Vivian's used to traversing all sorts of tough landscapes. Climbing, jumping, swimming, and more, are all skills she's picked up over the years, and she can handle even the worst terrain just as well as a flat plain.

Fitness: As the above implies, Vivian's in great physical shape. While her raw strength isn't outstanding, her stamina and agility are exceptional.

Unfazed: Aside from her relaxed and optimistic outlook, Vivian's from a planet where danger is just part of the day-to-day, especially for nature enthusiasts like herself. Due to being desensitized to life-threatening situations, she's able to keep a level head in all but the most severe of situations if she has to.

Misc. Info:

Spoiler

Of all the animals native to Colia, her favorite is the blue-striped pearlfang. Has yet to encounter one in the wild due to its status as an endangered species.

Went more than a little bit overboard when she went clothes shopping for things to wear during her time at MechA Cademy, since living on Colia can restrict what you can and can't get away with wearing and she's always wanted to try all sorts of clothes she couldn't wear back home. Seems especially fond of sandals.

Mech Info:

Spoiler

Name: CT-02 "Bighand"

Appearance:

Spoiler

MUweW07.jpg

(art by quzken (colors edited by yours truly))

Statistics & Equipment:

Spoiler

The Bighand is a fairly standard Colian military mech, intended to fill long-range artillery roles while still being able to defend itself. As a result, the Bighand is heavily armored and has one powerful long-ranged gun, but pays the toll with its mobility. Bighand mechs have trouble moving, often requiring all four limbs to move at speeds comparable to other mechs, and being virtually immobile while charging up and firing. Due to its poor mobility being a significant drawback in the jungles of Colia, it's not a very popular pick for soldiers.

Bighand: The mech's namesake and only weapon. Strictly speaking, the weapon is a long-range sniper cannon, capable of charging up then firing a powerful energy beam. However, the weapon's plating is built to allow it to also function as a shield, and due to its weight, it can also be a potent melee weapon to pound other mechs with.

Edited by Yui

Weird question, but do Mecha have to be humanoid? Because I have some non-humanoid Mecha ideas and I'm not sure how that'll fly cuz you didn't quite mention.

50 minutes ago, ChampionZero said:

Weird question, but do Mecha have to be humanoid? Because I have some non-humanoid Mecha ideas and I'm not sure how that'll fly cuz you didn't quite mention.

Not necessarily but might want to show me what you have in mind.

I literally feel you, man.

Spoiler

Name: Aston Ainsley

Appearance

Spoiler

image0.png

Lean, toned, and fit, Aston is also tall, standing at just shy of six feet. He's got a noticeably pale complexion, which makes his big, amber yellow eyes stand out on his face. He has several piercings on his ears: three on the right, and two on the left, and usually wears other accessories when in casual clothes as well. Prefers to wear flannels and jeans when he has his choice of clothing, and has a good sense of style. Of note are the four rings he wears on his hands, which he will rarely, if ever take off, even under duress. Aston is quite fidgety, and always seems to look like he's nervous or on edge. Overall a very attractive teenage boy, though people tend to note that there's always something "off" about him.

Personality

Spoiler

"You can't lie to me, so just drop the pretense and be honest, ok?"

Quiet, and seemingly deadpan and apathetic at first glance, Aston deliberately tries his best to stay in the background and not draw attention to himself. Unfortunately for him though, his looks and nonchalant facade invariably attract the attention of admirers, and he's often forced to more proactively try to keep people away from him. Aston isn't antisocial because he necessarily wants to be, however. Rather, he's more or less forced to keep people at arm's length (both emotionally and physically; he doesn't like it when people are touchey-feely) due to the strain his psychic abilities put on his mental and emotional health. Consequently, he's actually rather lonely on the whole, and despite the fact that he can feel other people's emotions, is rarely able to connect with anyone on a personal level.

Aston's actual personality is a bit different than what he portrays. He's sensitive (even when not taking his empathic abilities into account) and kind, but also somewhat highly strung and easy to agitate. Aston likes things "just so", and takes great pains to keep himself and his life as organized as possible. He's also got several physical tics and idiosyncrasies, mostly involving his hands (he cannot stand having them covered in something sticky, or feeling too hot or cold, for instance), and oftentimes the reason he fidgets is because he just needs to keep his hands occupied. This combined with everything else that usually bothers him can sometimes make him irritable, but he'll usually retreat away from someone rather than unfairly subject them to his ire. In short, things get to him easily, and though Aston is extremely good at hiding how he's feeling (Usually. In some cases his powers make that impossible), it doesn't actually take very much to get him angry, make him sad, or cheer him up.

Aston is also very analytical, perhaps in part due to his years of forced people watching, and this combined with his meticulousness and his ability to feel the emotions of others means that he's simply amazing at appraising his peers. Its nearly impossible to get away with lying to him, and he can almost always tell what kind of person someone is within a few minutes of encountering them. He usually won't vocalize his take on a person though, since it's made him enemies in the past, but if sufficiently provoked Aston knows exactly how to make his words cut as deep as possible.

History

Spoiler

Aston's life story isn't all that different from several of his peers at the academy. Born on Vesryn III, a planet located but a jump or two from the Helios system, he saw first hand the destruction the unknowns were capable of. When he was 8 they launched a full scale attack on the planet, during which he lost most of his family when a cobalt blue alien machine stepped on his house. Such close contact with the unknowns seems to have had a poorly understood effect on Aston's physiology, as it was on the refugee ship off of the planet that his psychic abilities began to develop. He wasn't the only child from Vesryn III who developed powers, but Aston's were among the strongest. The children from Vesryn III were quickly taken into military custody and enrolled in a preparatory school while government physicians studied their growing powers. When he was of age, he tested into the mecha academy, and is now in training to become a mech pilot. Though some might see this as a cruel fate, Aston is perfectly content with his circumstances. He has the opportunity to help ensure that nothing like the Vesryn Assault ever happens again, and if he's lucky, he might just get a chance to give that blue alien mech some payback. Because of his abilities, he was (un)lucky enough to be assigned one of the prototype EXM-009 Legioss units in order to test the capabilities of its psi-amp. The machine is certainly powerful, but as a rookie pilot Aston simply isn't capable of handling it well yet, making system glitches inherent in the prototype all the more problematic.

Combat Style: Aston excels at high speed, close range combat; dispatching enemies efficiently one after the other and avoiding taking hits himself. 
Skills

Spoiler
  • Empathy- Aston is an empath. That is, he's able to feel the emotions of other intelligent beings around him. His are some of the strongest empathic abilities on record, and though that may sound positive at first, it has in fact made his life incredibly difficult. Aston is unable to "turn off" his powers, meaning that he's constantly subjected to the emotions of everyone around him in a wide radius, with what he feels growing in intensity depending on the other person's physical and emotional proximity to him. In other words, Aston feels the emotions of friends, family, lovers, and anyone else with whom he is close with far more than the average person he encounters, and the closer to him someone stands, the clearer and more intense the sensations he picks up. Feeling other people's emotions naturally puts an immense strain on his mental health, and as a result Aston is often physically incapable of withstanding things like prolonged periods in crowds and violent arguments, and takes great pains to limit his human contact on a daily basis so that he can function. Combat is especially draining in this regard, and after a sortie Aston requires at minimum an hour of complete isolation, lest he suffer a breakdown. When sufficiently stressed or otherwise feeling very strong emotions (usually in a combat situation, though there have been occasions in civilian life where this phenomenon has occurred), Aston is also capable of using his powers in reverse; that is projecting his own feelings into the mind of another person. Usually this is involuntary, but recently Aston has begun to learn how to control this ability, and with help from his handlers is being taught to use it in conjunction with the psi-amp device in his mech. He can't use it on command yet (putting himself in the correct state of mind usually involves recalling very traumatic memories), but the effects of forcing his emotions onto someone else's mind, especially someone who's never felt that sensation before, can be quite potent.
  • Perception- Aston is naturally perceptive; able to pick up on small details with ease. Though this is very useful for him inter-personally, its also an invaluable tool on the battlefield; making him an excellent scout as well as a deceptively strong melee combatant; knowing just where the enemy's weak spots are and when to strike them.

Other

Spoiler
  • The rings Aston wears are inset with Rheubium stones: a material that supposedly suppresses supernatural abilities. The veracity of this claim is suspect at best, but having them on makes Aston feel more secure, and he will almost never take them off. His sister gave him his first, and he has since acquired the other three himself.
  • Aston's sister Elena is also enrolled at the academy. They don't usually get to see much of each other, but nonetheless Aston does what he can to look out for her.

Mech Information

Spoiler

Name: EXM-009 Legioss
Appearance

Spoiler

UuJjPaZ.png

Legioss stands at roughly 19 meters in height, with its cockpit located in the chest. When the psi-amp is active, a series of cooling fibers that resemble a ponytail extend outward from the back of its head in order to vent excess heat.

As a prototype next generation machine, its specs are very high, featuring fantastic speed and maneuverability and lightweight, durable armor. Its only real "flaw" in this regard is its lack of thrusters, meaning the Legioss can't fly and is forced to rely on jumping to gain altitude. Because its still undergoing testing, Legioss is extremely temperamental and prone to malfunction. This will become less of an issue as more system bugs are corrected. Designed around its Psi-amp, Legioss features almost no built-in weapons, relying on supplemental equipment such as flight packs and handheld weapons to give it proper combat capabilities.

Statistics and equipment

Spoiler
  • Psi-Amp: The next-generation weapons system that Legioss is built around, the psi-amp is a revolutionary piece of technology that can read the pilot's emotions and convert their will into force, or at least it will be. The current model is a temperamental, buggy piece of equipment that is highly unreliable unless the pilot of the machine already possesses some form of telepathic ability (which is the main reason one of these highly valuable test machines was assigned to a cadet like Aston). Even with Aston in the pilot seat though, the psi-amp is only reliable to a certain point, and usually ceases to function properly after about five minutes of activity. Still, its capabilities speak for themselves. When active, the Psi-Amp allows the pilot to defy the laws of physics in a local area around the mech; giving it the ability to create force fields to block incoming attacks, fire blasts of raw kinetic energy at targets, and operate beyond what the Legioss's specs would normally allow it to do.
  • Mono blades: Stored in Legioss's knees, these shortsword-like weapons are its only fixed armament. They are so-named because they're sharpened to the thickness of a single molecule, allowing them to cut most materials with incredible ease. Their blades can also be "extended" with the psi-amp, compressing air and particulates above and around the blades to lengthen the cutting surface considerably. Visually speaking, this appears as a glowing blade of energy shining from the tip of the mono-blade, which some of the techs have nicknamed "the lightsaber" .
  • Optional Equipment: To supplement its minimal arsenal and test weapons for the eventual mass production version, Legioss is designed to support various different armaments and equipment... when they're made, anyway. Currently the only available gear consists of a powerful but innacurate 400mm cannon (with optional barrel attachment for long range fire), supplemental shoulder armor for additional defense in close combat, and a flight pack designed more for delivery of the machine to a combat zone than actual air combat.

Edited by Zai

Like Spider-Mechs and Walkers, stuff that doesn't strictly follow humanoid structures. For example, some stuff that's inspiring me right now.

Spoiler

chris-anderson-03-enemy-robots-prepro.jpchris-anderson-05-enemy-robot-types-prepRelated image

4 hours ago, ChampionZero said:

Like Spider-Mechs and Walkers, stuff that doesn't strictly follow humanoid structures. For example, some stuff that's inspiring me right now.

Hide contents

chris-anderson-03-enemy-robots-prepro.jpchris-anderson-05-enemy-robot-types-prepRelated image

That is fine.

Noting interest, because why not. I'll get an app done soon, but don't quote me on that.

WIP

Spoiler

ib2pUZq.png

"I got you right where I want you."

Name: Julian Huckman

Appearance:

Spoiler

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 150 lbs.

Skin color: Tan and flush.

Eye color: Varies based on light. Brown when natural. Hazel when artificial. Heterochromia may occur under certain circumstances.

Hair: Dark drown, short in length but thick in volume. Tends to grow out wavy. Naturally modest facial hair deviates from hair color as darker shade of brown to black.

Build: Relatively tall and lanky: slightly above average height with slightly below-average weight. Toned muscles from survival training make up the majority of his weight.

Clothes: Usually only sticks with cotton t-shirts and cargo pants when he doesn't need to wear his special coat made for climbing the mountainous region where he grew up.

Miscellaneous: Wears a gas mask connected to a vaporizor for pain medication. The vaporizor has a special compartment on his backpack that keeps all of his equipment that he keeps in case of situations where survival is needed.

Image:

Spoiler

66d038274825535aacfd9a82efdbccb5.png

Personality:

Spoiler

If there is nothing important to say, then there's no need to say it. That has always been Julian's outlook on communication with others, though as he's come to learn, communication is important if not vital to accomplishing a mission. In this case, he's accepted the fact that idle chat is necessary to open himself up to others in order to better cooperate with teammates. Be that as it may, his sense of humor can be rather bland but a good joke usually doesn't get past him. As he gets more comfortable around others, he starts showing a rather snarky side of him that also reveals a rather dark sense of humor.

In light of his introverted attitude, his lack of interest in socializing makes it easier for him to focus. When he is set on a mission or objective, it takes a lot to get him out of it. Much like a dog's attention on a stray cat is very difficult to sway, Julian's dedication to pursuing the next goal and getting one step closer to completing a project drives him to do nothing but get it done. Because of this, his sense of limits is often skewed. When told to take a break, relaxing to him is merely just time wasted on not moving forward.

All that considered, Julian is a soldier to the core. His training goes beyond that of being recruited, making him the most loyal and trustworthy unit to his commander. He'll follow orders without questions and run through dangerous territory without hesitation. If he's in a good mood, he'll even get you a beer from the fridge as well as get one for himself regardless of the legal drinking age. Although his attitude is pretty stone cold and robotic, his more human side can be reached with a little harsh or dark humor, for which he would let out a light chuckle, but that's it.

History:

Spoiler

Julian's parents became rebels against the rising digital age not long before he was born. With his grandpa teaching his dad the ways of the hunt, the knowledge that his dad learned would soon be passed on, but not without discovering the secrets of the mountains that they chose to live on. Away and hidden from any signals or tracking, they scorned all of the sheep whose existence was tracked, recorded, and used at the leisure of the nosey government. While his dad was out hunting, his mom was at home doing the housework and cooking, leaving some for dad to do when he got home. At some point, the soon-to-be parents had mastered the minimalistic life of survival without conventional power and services and they were ready.

The moment that Julian came to be, his skills were tested. As a baby, learning to walk was painful trial and error. His tears were ignored as he came to learn to get up and try again without any hand-holding. Once he had gotten past that step, everything else came naturally with a thriving sense of accomplishment. It was soon after where all of his basic physical instincts were tested. As a teenager, he was cast out into the wilderness with nothing but the clothes on his back, using nature to survive on his own. Once he passed that test, he was ready to be given his own gun to become a hunter for his family.

After being tested, his duty as an adolescent was to hunt food and gather materials for the house. While not working to obtain anything, he enjoyed the past time of hunting and fishing for sport, which he considered to be further training. With each passing day, he became more proficient with his rifle, being able to take out targets from impressively great distances.

It wasn't until a stray scout mech flew over their home when Julian's family was discovered. Insistant on having them be a part of society once more, Julian's dad refused, leaving his wife to willingly accept her fate. In an act of rebuttal and much to her dismay, his dad offered Julian in place of their lives being lived in peace with the way things were. The offer was accepted, heartbreak ensued, and Julian went in to the only place where his hunting skills could be put to use; the military.

Combat Style:

Spoiler

Long-distance sniping. Julian's mech is implemented for accurate piercing shots from far away, preferably hidden from view. In the event of being spotted, he will most likely make a quick and tactical retreat to another location and wait to make another shot until he is once again hidden. While in the open, he'll try to maintain a good distance regardless of visibility, circumstancially using altitude as a vantage point.

Skills:

Spoiler

Both in and out of his mech, Julian has a passion for hunting. Self-trained for survival in the mountains and the forests beneath, his skills with a scoped rifle is often unmatched. With his mech, he carries around a similar rifle that is simply much larger, more powerful, and circumstantially more accurate with his specially designed ballistics tracker in his hud.

Mech Information:

Spoiler

Name: PA-NS | Penetrating Angel

Appearance:

Spoiler

135d03770cdafa1d6a0ebda9c2dbed60.png

Statistics and equipment:

Sniper ballistics: PA-NS is specially designed for Julian's mech-sized sniper rifle, implementing an advanced targetting system with high-accuracy ballistics tracking the movement of the target for possible lead-ins and environmental effects on projectiles like wind speed and direction, gravity, temperature, trajectory, etc.

Aerial maneuverability: For use of quick retreats, PA-NS is equipped with multiple turbines for easy movement in the air, including two rocket propellors made for high-powered lift-off and straight travel speed.

Edited by Thar
Ready for final review.

Question: Can we have a smaller mecha being the larger mecha's "cabin". As in, the small mecha is a cabin with legs and arms and fits the larger mecha's body. Can it be plausible?

Spoiler

Name: Rosha Ta'Megn
Race: Khaquian - Mammalian species. Humanoid, typically small in stature. Technically omnivorous but a strong preference for meat. Strong and agile with good hearing but poor eyesight. Small claws on their fingertips and their three, large toes. Teeth are quite sharp.

Appearance

Spoiler

sample_aa4aa18ed170d454ba96e36c72d9c44d8

Height: 4'4" | Weight: 83 lbs

Personality

Spoiler

Rosha is aggressive and headstrong, traits often typical from her species. Coming with this is a strong sense of pride and honour, and a need to prove her strength to others thanks to her species' warrior culture. Rosha has a deep appreciation for fighting and combat and, to a lesser degree, physical activity such as sports. However, her brashness leads to impatience and either the refusal to, or the incapability of thinking things through before executing her plans. This makes Rosha the perfect example of "Head-butt it first, ask questions later."

Rosha is also a person who is very, very driven. She works hard to get whatever grades she can, even though they tend not to be the best. While she appears very energetic with a short attention span, preferring to keep moving and never sit still, her culture considers these traits of someone who is looking to do big things and get the job done.

Oh, she can also tend to be a bit of an asshole when it comes to people she doesn't get along with. Which is a lot.

Biography

Spoiler

Believe it or not, Rosha is actually the princess of the Megn tribe. She has grown up surrounded by big expectations and hard assignments all meant to help her grow up to be the proper warrior princess their tribe needs in order to stay afloat amidst the rivalry of others. The Megn tribe, in particular, is neither the biggest of their race, nor the richest, nor even the strongest. However, they've always had a desire to do great things, and as the lone child of her family Rosha has had those desires and expectations placed upon her as she is set to inherent the position of chieftain one day, and this means being the most capable. Because of this, Rosha has never had a soft or coddled life, though she's been taken care of and never been treated poorly. However, she has never met those high expectations, and this has become more than evident.

Rosha has desired one thing in particular: to see the world outside their own and encounter new people and then, by defeating them in bloody combat, becoming stronger than them. She pushed her parents to send her to MechA Cademy on the merits that it will help her to become a stronger princess, while secretly wanting this opportunity to prove herself to them. Eventually, permission was granted and Rosha was given the opportunity to go to the school of her dreams.

Combat Information

Spoiler

Combat Style: Gunner and Tank. Rosha likes the biggest amount of firepower dealing the most damage, choosing overwhelming strength over tricky strategies or "smart" play. "They can't kill you if they're dead!"

Skills:
Hand-to-hand combat
Acrobatics, including climbing surfaces.
Heightened senses of hearing and smell. Poor eyesight.
Fast Reflexes

Miscellaneous

Spoiler

Theme

- At first she freely expressed her identity as a tribal princess, but upon discovering that the human image of a princess is of being dainty and pretty, she promptly stopped introducing herself as such.
- A strong preference for salty food. Has a hard time tasting sweet.
- Doesn't really care what she eats so much as it is edible and salty.
- Thinks anything that isn't filled with action or fighting is "boring" and "dumb"

Mech Information

Spoiler

Name: Mourning Star
Appearance

Spoiler

d6dwb2f-c12f81f8-fb0e-47e8-98cc-93de4665

Statistics and Equipment:
The Mourning Star is a large, heavy-class mech with a penchant for high armor and firepower at the cost of speed. Due to this, the Mourning Star better excels at medium-range combat where it can draw fire and dish out serious damage while still maintaining some amount of distance.
- Hell Shredder - the main weapon of the Mourning Star is its large, belt-fed, twin-barreled magnetic repeater. The Hell Shredder is capable of sending an awe-inspiring amount of metal down-range at ridiculous speeds, capable of chewing through even toughest of armors in little time. The Hell Shredder, however, lacks the size and barrel to be accurate enough at longer-range combat.
- Hell Blaster - The off-hand weapon of the Mourning Star is a high-yield plasma launcher. This weapon fires large globs of superheated gas that deal a lot of damage, but because of how the weapon's power is rationed more towards the power and size of the plasma being fired and not so much towards the magnets propelling it, these bolts of plasma arc more like artillery fire at slower speeds. Coupled with the weapon's slower time to charge, the Hell Blaster is better suited for larger, slower-moving targets or very large groups of enemies that cannot dodge the damage.
- Hell Wing - Because of the Mourning Star's weight, the Hell Wing flight navigation system equipped to the machine isn't actually capable of sustaining flight for the mech. It can, however, allow brief boosts of horizontal speed or a boosted jump to allow the machine to get into position faster than normal.

Edited by VCR_CAT

22 hours ago, ZetaRESP said:

Question: Can we have a smaller mecha being the larger mecha's "cabin". As in, the small mecha is a cabin with legs and arms and fits the larger mecha's body. Can it be plausible?

I'll be honest I have no idea why this would exist and what you're intending with it.