Fusion

Pokémon Sword and Shield

Reminder: Vote can be changed easily  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you thinking about getting?

2. 2. Which starter are you thinking about getting?

2 hours ago, Shradow said:

I love all the starters, dunno which I want yet.

I'm also super curious about that big Nazca Lines looking thing on the hillside, I'm assuming it has to do with the mythology/Legendary Pokemon of the region.

They could be Hill figures, which are mostly found in England, if I'm not mistaken. Which is fitting for a region based on England. 

Out of the starters I like Grookey most, followed by Sobble. Not really a fan of Scorbunny though. It might change with their evolutions.

The graphics of the game look nice, from what we've seen so far.

51 minutes ago, Yui said:

though it may also be worth noting this is the first region to not have an "o" in its name.

I mean... Unova in Japanese is completely different, Isshu-but literally why would that be worth noting? xD

Bulbapedia has a trivia section that only has that fact right now... Unova's is differentiated by only saying "in its Japanese name". I guess it is a neat factoid. 

Edited by Nico

4 hours ago, DragonSage said:

Considering there is a snowy region, we're probably going in both England and Scotland at least. And considering geography, there should be some kind of connection to Kalos.

For the first few seconds up until after you see the spinny Fletchling thing on the roof, I thought this was Pokémon Z. I'd be down with seeing some Kalos connections in this region.

3 hours ago, Darj said:

Sword and Shield, makes it difficult to try to predict a 3 game of the series, if there will be any.

52867297_298587840853901_704864984799746

For the football stadium, I was thinking that has something to do with the side project in this game (like contests, etc). Or it might be one of the gyms, I can see that being a gimmick. But the uniform you're wearing makes me think there's more to it.

I love the starters. Still happily going with my tradition of choosing Grass first, Grookey seems like a cool pokémon and I'm itching to try the other two at some point, particularly Scorbunny. It could lend itself well to Fire/Fighting, but I'd prefer something else like Fairy. I hope one or more of them has a surprising type combo like how Decidueye randomly evolved into a Ghost. I can see Grookey becoming a Grass/Dark to maintain the mischief theme; we haven't had one since Gen 3 I think.

The region looks great, the cities have an awesome aesthetic and I love how there's a lot of countryside to explore. End of the year can't come soon enough.

It depends on the version specific Legendary and version exclusives, but I'm planning on getting Shield. I just always love playing supports/tanks in video games.

At this stage, I'm planning on getting Sword, but the Legendary designs might change that.

On the subject of third versions, I've seen people say stuff like helmet, staff (like mage's cane), but I've also seen jokes like grapple ala the spirit categories in Smash.

I feel like staff is the most likely to complete a trio, but I don't think we're getting 3rd games anymore. 

I'm really curious what the box legendary Pokemon are going to look like since they should tie in with the Sword and Shield themes.

I'm expecting something ranged, so maybe not Gun (though that'd be really funny), but something like Staff or Bow would be neat. Assuming we actually get a 3rd game.

Edited by Shradow

11 minutes ago, Flame Dragon said:

I don't think we're getting 3rd games anymore. 

I agree, the last one we had was literally 10 years ago with Platinum. Not impossible, but pretty improbable.

I like most of those, but I'd probably say Helmet (Pokémon Helm maybe sounds like a better name?) to complete the knight's set. Speaking of, I wonder if the new evil team could be based on the knights of the round table. Or maybe one of the gyms or some other group can let them play around with the knight motif.

I had a thought that maybe one or more of the legendaries wolf-related considering the logos. But that could also just be a random decoration for them.

My first inclination is Sword, but that could easily change. I'm waiting to see more info as well like the legends, exclusives, etc.

I hope the new villain team is as good as Team Skull, those guys were great. Abunch of entertaining delinquents, trying to carve out a place where a group of societal outcasts can call home. Good style, too. Guzma's my favorite leader since Giovanni.

Edited by Shradow

Team Skull definitely etched itself in as one of the better teams, probably my favorite one actually. So I hope they hold themselves to that same standard and get creative.

I forgot to say, but I also like the base designs for the trainers. Better beanies than Brendan's.

I actually hate the guy's hat in the trailer, I hope we can start off not wearing it or that the ability to change clothes comes asap. Though I might just pick the girl cuz she's cute, FD is right she does look like Onodera.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this upon seeing Sobble's face:

e95.png

Edited by Shradow

Anyways, I was looking at Sword and Shield's WMG Page of TvTropes, and it was pointed out that Grookey's theme may be music/rhythm-based-- its English name could be seen as "Groove"/"Groovy" + "Monkey", while its French name is "Ouistempo" (from "ouistiti", meaning "marmoset", and "tempo").  So that got me to go and check Bulbapedia for the names of the other starters in different languages:

Scorbunny's Japanese name is "Hibanī", which is stated may be a combination of 火 hi (fire), 火花 hibana (spark), and bunny.  The "spark" in this case is written differently from スパーク, so it may not be alluding to a possible Electric-Type addition to Scorbunny's line, but it's still interesting to point out.  On a side note, I feel like Scorbunny may have a sports/track-runner theme.

And Sobble's English name seems to be a combination of "sob" and "bubble", given that its French name is "Larméléon" and contains the word "larme", meaning "tear".  So it's theme might end up being sadness or emotions in general.

Scorbunny's footfalls in the trailer did seem kinda sparky. Maybe those patches on its feet and face are of a material that causes sparks on impact?

Nice pointing that out. Sobble's is pretty obvious but I didn't think about that for Grookey. Now I really want it to become a gorilla, DK Jungle Beat time?

Edited by Shradow

2 minutes ago, Shradow said:

Scorbunny's footfalls in the trailer did seem kinda sparky. Maybe those patches on its feet and face are of a material that causes sparks on impact?

Nice pointing that out. Sobble's is pretty obvious but I didn't think about that for Grookey. Now I really want it to become a gorilla, DK Jungle Beat time?

I'll whip out the bongos then.

Also, this is going to sound stupid, but with this region being based on the UK, I wouldn't mind encountering the Spanish Inquisition because no one expects them.

This. Game. Looks. Amazing. The scenery made me freak out more than the starters honestly.

The starters which all seem solid. Kinda leaning towards water boy surprisingly. I hope it turns into a big ol lizard. Water/Dragon?

2 hours ago, Shradow said:

I actually hate the guy's hat in the trailer, I hope we can start off not wearing it or that the ability to change clothes comes asap. Though I might just pick the girl cuz she's cute, FD is right she does look like Onodera.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this upon seeing Sobble's face:

e95.png

Happy I'm not the only one that sees the two as similar.

I saw someone else point that out and it made me laugh. 

33 minutes ago, KingdomXathers said:

Scorbunny's Japanese name is "Hibanī", which is stated may be a combination of 火 hi (fire), 火花 hibana (spark), and bunny.  The "spark" in this case is written differently from スパーク, so it may not be alluding to a possible Electric-Type addition to Scorbunny's line, but it's still interesting to point out.  On a side note, I feel like Scorbunny may have a sports/track-runner theme.

I'm super here for a Fire/Electric type. Though this has an issue of making the Fire starter able to beat the Water start with STAB. Can still happen since Gen 4 players with this idea, but it would be different. If they do I think they'd do it similarly to Gen 4 so Grass would pick up a Rock typing or Ground (which would also remove the Water resist to help that type out). And when people were talking about the patch looking like something on a fighter I noticed it was also on its feet so didn't think they were going for the fighter look. 

23 minutes ago, Shradow said:

Yea, when I was watching the trailer I thought it was sparking when it was first shown running. It would also explain why it left fire prints in the grass when it landed. 

17 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

This. Game. Looks. Amazing. The scenery made me freak out more than the starters honestly.

The starters which all seem solid. Kinda leaning towards water boy surprisingly. I hope it turns into a big ol lizard. Water/Dragon?

As much as I'd want a Water/Dragon they've only ever made a starter drop its weakness from the other starters base type once and they compensated by having the secondary type still be super effective. While this could happen again I do think it is cleaner if it remains the straight normal triangle. Also, having a starter become a dragon feels weird since they normally try to keep those towards the later parts of the game. Though if it did become Dragon it would likely mean the Grass starter ends up as a Fairy, or Ice type since I doubt they'd do 2 Dragon starters together. 

Personally what bothers me the most about the male trainer is why he's wearing a big old suitcase on his back.

On another note, I'm glad to have traditional wild battles back.

Edited by DragonSage

Just now, DragonSage said:

Personally what bothers me the most about the male trainer is why he's wearing that big old suitcase on his back.

That also bothered me. It's like he's carrying an Ikea wardrobe on his back.

Honestly I think it's time to retire the idea that past the first stage it matters what types the starters are relative to each other. By the time they evolve you should be able to cover weaknesses with the rest of your team anyway.

Yeah, I see this discussion on starter secondary typing and I'm like, "Does Game Freak or anyone else even care about maintaining the triangle for the evolutions by this point?"

Edited by Shradow

2 hours ago, KingdomXathers said:

Bonus round: the "Scor" in his name could refer to both "scorch" and "score". I'm doing this part of the post right before I actually post because I mention Scorbunny a bit further down and that suddenly clicked in my mind. Might be worth noting since it makes the athlete theme all the more likely.

Now then, on to the rest of the post.

So images of the entire Galar Region map have been floating around on the internet, and I noticed a particular building that appears throughout the region. Pretty sure they're gyms, which led me to label the likely locations of all eight gyms and guess at their possible types based on location. It doesn't preview very well on Neo, so I'll just link it right here for your clicking and viewing pleasure. Please take a look at it before reading the rest of this purely speculative post.

(on another note the Galar map is absolutely gorgeous and the chance to explore it can't come soon enough)

I would throw out the guess that the little red church-looking building near the bottom is a gym instead, but the buildings I've guessed are gyms have very distinct designs and every region with gyms has that "little town you pass through before tackling a gym" town. I'm sure one or two of my guesses will be off though, most likely what looks like it'd be the first gym (in the bottom city). Steel-type for the first gym would be kinda painful unless they're making it resist less of basically everything or you picked Scorbunny as your starter. I also didn't realize when I was labeling the map that the gym near the nazca lines we saw in the trailer was also near Stonehenge. So at that point I'd say it's more likely a Psychic gym than a Grass one.

I gotta say, I'm REALLY digging the map for this gen. A lot of people have sorta compared it to Sinnoh, and while I see where they're coming from, it's pretty unique in that it's not divided in half like Sinnoh was. It doesn't seem as circular as Unova or Kalos, and it's nice to be back on a continent after Gen 7. I'm really excited to explore this region honestly.

Some people are worried that it might end up being super linear, go in a straight line from one place to the next, and while it could be, I dunno, I think it's got potential so I wanna see how this pans out. I'm also really curious to see the Legendary Pokemon for this gen, I wanna know if it's gonna be two wolves like people are speculating based on the logos, which I hope isn't the case, or if that's just a symbolization thing to represent coats of arms and stuff.\

Also it's a total crime if Honedge doesn't appear in this region.

Also forgot to mention!

In the logo for the games, we have this little symbol appear.

Worth thinking about, cause in the logo for X and Y, we had Mega Evolution as a symbol.

And for Sun and Moon, we had the Z-Crystal.

Edited by Ralsei

1 hour ago, LordCowCow said:

Honestly I think it's time to retire the idea that past the first stage it matters what types the starters are relative to each other. By the time they evolve you should be able to cover weaknesses with the rest of your team anyway.

1 hour ago, Shradow said:

Yeah, I see this discussion on starter secondary typing and I'm like, "Does Game Freak or anyone else even care about maintaining the triangle for the evolutions by this point?"

I'd be cool with a reverse triangle similar to what they did in Gen 4, but I would like to keep the basic "water starter is advantaged vs. fire starter 1vs 1". 

15 minutes ago, Ralsei said:

I gotta say, I'm REALLY digging the map for this gen. A lot of people have sorta compared it to Sinnoh, and while I see where they're coming from, it's pretty unique in that it's not divided in half like Sinnoh was. It doesn't seem as circular as Unova or Kalos, and it's nice to be back on a continent after Gen 7. I'm really excited to explore this region honestly.

Some people are worried that it might end up being super linear, go in a straight line from one place to the next, and while it could be, I dunno, I think it's got potential so I wanna see how this pans out. I'm also really curious to see the Legendary Pokemon for this gen, I wanna know if it's gonna be two wolves like people are speculating based on the logos, which I hope isn't the case, or if that's just a symbolization thing to represent coats of arms and stuff.\

Also it's a total crime if Honedge doesn't appear in this region.

Also forgot to mention!

In the logo for the games, we have this little symbol appear.

Worth thinking about, cause in the logo for X and Y, we had Mega Evolution as a symbol.

And for Sun and Moon, we had the Z-Crystal.

One of the things that makes me really excited for the new region is how different it is compared to Alola. It also just feels pretty different from most of the regions honestly. 

I never got the "linear" comments. Pokemon has always been linear, and the least linear of the games, Gen 1, suffers a TON for it. 

Oh, interesting. That looks like a playing field divider in fights and stuff, so I'm curious how that might translate to a game mechanic since battles are already a core element. 

i love that people are now portraying female MC(shield-chan) as a foul-mouthed scotswoman

EY WAS HANGIN' YA SLAG

its fucking great y'all

Pr4m06r.png

best thing i saw since the trailer came out

Edited by Mitcher Green

26 minutes ago, Mitcher Green said:

Pr4m06r.png

best thing i saw since the trailer came out

Then they reveal the sales figures with Brexit version having 52% of the sales and Bremain with 48%

Edited by British Soul