Fusion

Pokémon Sword and Shield

Reminder: Vote can be changed easily  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you thinking about getting?

2. 2. Which starter are you thinking about getting?

Sword and Shield, suspiciously clock tower-like building with pokeball symbol, now this official video straight up says UK... wow, totally confirmed. Just looks like what they straight up wanted to do on the 3DS, but couldn't quite get up to.

Also, I'm really digging the designs and personalities of all the basic stage starters quite a bit right now, but I can't get too hyped up over them, the middle stage has been known to severely make or break them.

Edited by Nico

Considering there is a snowy region, we're probably going in both England and Scotland at least. And considering geography, there should be some kind of connection to Kalos.

I hope to Arceus they use Lake District and the Downs to some capacity.

Edited by DragonSage

Sword and Shield, makes it difficult to try to predict a 3 game of the series, if there will be any.
So far I like the Water one the most. inb4 it also gets Protean.
Found a bit disappointing they are all based on animals that have already been "Pokemonized" (rabbit, monkey and... chameleon?) , but I guess at this point, with so many Pokemon already, it's difficult to come up with concepts on new living beings.

Initial feelings for the starters was eh, but I really dig the bunny now and have already come to like the other two. Not sure who I prefer over the Grass and Water. Though I care far more about the final forms.

Really dig how DIFFERENT this region looks compared to all the others. I'm sure when we see more of the game we'll see more basic towns and what not, but what they showed in the trailer is nothing like we've seen before really. 

5 minutes ago, Darj said:

Sword and Shield, makes it difficult to try to predict a 3 game of the series, if there will be any.
So far I like the Water one the most. inb4 it also gets Protean.
Found a bit disappointing they are all based on animals that have already been "Pokemonized" (rabbit, monkey and... chameleon?) , but I guess at this point, with so many Pokemon already, it's difficult to come up with concepts on new living beings.

Yea, we have way to many Pokemon to not have repeats. Like, we've been repeating stuff since Gen 4 when we got a second turtle (and a second starter turtle at that).

34 minutes ago, Nico said:

Sword and Shield, suspiciously clock tower-like building with pokeball symbol, now this official video straight up says UK... wow, totally confirmed.

There are two versions of the same video on the official YT channel which is completely redundant given the simultaneous release. ORAS was fine to have two versions given it came out in Europe a week later.

Sun/Moon also had a later release in Europe, which again made having two vids fine

Edited by British Soul

I love all the starters, dunno which I want yet.

I wonder what that sporting event thing is that we see at the end of the in-game footage. The uniform must mean it's something specific. I'm also super curious about that big Nazca Lines looking thing on the hillside, I'm assuming it has to do with the mythology/Legendary Pokemon of the region.

Main series Pokemon games always sell well, but given the popularity of the Switch and the fact that Nintendo probably brought in at least some of the Pokemon GO crowd with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, I'm guessing this'll get some insane numbers.

Edited by Shradow

10 minutes ago, Darj said:

Pokémon Stave?  To complete the typical Triad of Fighter, Tank, and Mage?

Unless they pull a B2W2/USUM and do a Shattered Sword and Broken Shield.

3 minutes ago, Shradow said:

I wonder what that sporting event thing is that we see at the end of the in-game footage. The uniform must mean it's something specific.

I think it's football/soccer because we saw Lucario and Tyranitar battling on such a pitch in the trailer, and it makes sense given the sport is popular in the UK.

Edited by British Soul

That's what I thought too, but the character didn't have any sort of cleats I could see.

Edited by Shradow

7 minutes ago, Flame Dragon said:

Yea, we have way to many Pokemon to not have repeats. Like, we've been repeating stuff since Gen 4 when we got a second turtle (and a second starter turtle at that).

That much is understandable. And yet I cannot shake off the impression of them looking rather... IDK if rehashed is the word I look for. For example, the Fire one feels a lot like Buneary, the Grass makes me think of Pansage, a fellow Grass monkey Pokemon. Not to mention there are a handful of of monkey and rabbit Pokemon already. Hence why I lean towards the Water one, as the only other chameleon Pokemon around is Kecleon IIRC, so that's just 1.

2 minutes ago, Darj said:

That much is understandable. And yet I cannot shake off the impression of them looking rather... IDK if rehashed is the word I look for. For example, the Fire one feels a lot like Buneary, the Grass makes me think of Pansage, a fellow Grass monkey Pokemon. Not to mention there are a handful of of monkey and rabbit Pokemon already. Hence why I lean towards the Water one, as the only other chameleon Pokemon around is Kecleon IIRC, so that's just 1.

I got Bunnelby-vibes from the fire starter tbph.

I'm leaning towards Sobble atm, but Grookey is growing on me as well.

extended thoughts
The art style, certainly looks beautiful, and I'm not saying that because it's a UK-based region, it actually does look good, they certainly look to be pulling all the stops. From what I've seen from the trailer, it does look like a mix between S/M and Let's Go, which I think is a good idea. Let's Go tested the waters for what the Switch games can do and I hope these games deliver. I did enjoy the battle on a football pitch and the trainer donning a jersey and walking onto the pitch, though the one negative for me is the male character's bag, I just don't like how it looks tbph.

3 minutes ago, Darj said:

I feel like Grass monkey is going to end up being a fuller body compared to the other monkeys we've gotten. Expecting it to go more gorilla if that makes sense. I am curious how they'll play with the Bunny design though since the other two families we have are pretty straight forward and I'm expecting something different with this one. 

1 minute ago, British Soul said:

The art style, certainly looks beautiful, and I'm not saying that because it's a UK-based region, it actually does look good, they certainly look to be pulling all the stops. From what I've seen from the trailer, it does look like a mix between S/M and Let's Go, which I think is a good idea. Let's Go tested the waters for what the Switch games can do and I hope these games deliver. I did enjoy the battle on a football pitch and the trainer donning a jersey and walking onto the pitch, though the one negative for me is the male character's bag, I just don't like how it looks tbph.

I wonder what the character customization is going to be like. We didn't see any, but I doubt they'd pull that. Also, the female trainer looks VERY anime to me for some reason. Makes me think of Onodera from Nisekoi. 

Just now, Flame Dragon said:

I wonder what the character customisation is going to be like. We didn't see any, but I doubt they'd pull that. Also, the female trainer looks VERY anime to me for some reason. Makes me think of Onodera from Nisekoi. 

I also wonder what character customisation will be like as well, and I do agree about the female trainer, I do like her design more than the male personally.

3 minutes ago, British Soul said:

I also wonder what character customisation will be like as well, and I do agree about the female trainer, I do like her design more than the male personally.

I feel like the female design has been the preferred one since like Gen 4. 

Also, I'm not crazy right but at the video starting at 1:40 you see something invisible in the grass in front of Grookey that jumps up after it moves away. That's something separate from the three starters yeah? It's not Sobble cloaked again because it had already run up the tree.

If Grookey became a gorilla wielding a big tree that'd be pretty dope.

Edited by Shradow

Just now, Flame Dragon said:

I feel like the female design has been the preferred one since like Gen 4. 

Yeah definitely. I just hope we get XY-levels of character customisation in SwSh, but with its personal style.

Scorbunny being primarily white and having what sort of looks like a bandage above its nose, it kinda reminds me of King Kazma from Summer Wars. Though I wouldn't want to jinx it and it ends up evolving into another humanoid Fire/Fighting, I still think that'd be kinda cool.

Edited by Shradow

27 minutes ago, Shradow said:

Scorbunny being primarily white and having what sort of looks like a bandage above its nose, it kinda reminds me of King Kazma from Summer Wars. Though I wouldn't want to jinx it and it ends up evolving into another humanoid Fire/Fighting, I still think that'd be kinda cool.

Even if it doesn't become part-Fighting, it'll most definitely be yet another biped Fire Starter at Stage 2, which "Team Quadruped Fire Starter" ain't gonna be happy about XD

Also, I just realized why I was getting deja vu from looking at Scorbunny's pose--it's basically the same as Chimchar's official artwork from Platinum SINNOH FUCKIN' CONFIRMED
390Chimchar_O.png

Edited by KingdomXathers

1 hour ago, British Soul said:

There are two versions of the same video on the official YT channel which is completely redundant given the simultaneous release. ORAS was fine to have two versions given it came out in Europe a week later.

Sun/Moon also had a later release in Europe, which again made having two vids fine

Oh, is that what it is? Yeah, the simultaneous release makes the extra video quite redundant given what I saw of the video looked completely identical to what I saw in NoA's stream.

One thing is for sure... it seems to me like Kalos is going to be clamored for in this game all the more now. Now that it doesn't seem impossible (though still very unlikely, imo), even I'd like that more now... 

Now there are more people comparing Scorbunny to a rabibt, Buneary, but the first comparison I saw that someone was annoyed by the starters looking so similar, was it and Chespin. It's really only the color that Grookey gets Chespin vibes from. Scorbunny on the other hand looks so similar to numerous others, and I can even tell! That Chimchar pose omg... Still like it just as much as the other two atm.

Edited by Nico

5 minutes ago, Nico said:

Oh, is that what it is? Yeah, the simultaneous release makes the extra video quite redundant given what I saw of the video looked completely identical to what I saw in NoA's stream.

One thing is for sure... it seems to me like Kalos is going to be clamored for in this game all the more now. Now that it doesn't seem impossible (though still very unlikely, imo), even I'd like that more now... 

Yeah, apart from the "UK:" tag, it's just the same.

On another note, speaking of Kalos, I'd like to see a Wikstrom cameo in this game, and it'd be a crime to not have Honedge in the regional dex.

I predicted a UK region back during X/Y's run, so I'm glad to see one popping up now. Now to see if my dreams of a Fire/Water teapot come true. As for starters, I'm liking Sobble a lot. Dunno what I'm hoping for mechanically out of the Galar region, though it may also be worth noting this is the first region to not have an "o" in its name. The look of the big city with all the gears and stuff - I'm guessing it's supposed to be part of (maybe all of?) London given the Totally Not Big Ben™ there - is really nice too.

7 minutes ago, British Soul said:

Yeah, apart from the "UK:" tag, it's just the same.

On another note, speaking of Kalos, I'd like to see a Wikstrom cameo in this game, and it'd be a crime to not have Honedge in the regional dex.

Inb4 its the "Solrock and Lunatone not being in SM/USUM" all over again.  Then again, being another counterpart to a EU region, it WOULD be a crime NOT to have the Honedge line in these games.

Edited by KingdomXathers

2 minutes ago, KingdomXathers said:

Inb4 its the "Solrock and Lunatone not being in SM/USUM" all over again.  Then again, being another counterpart to a EU region, it WOULD be a crime NOT to have the Honedge line in these games.

The Solrock/Lunatone thing reminded me of a late XY-episode of the anime when TR had trinkets featuring said pokemon as a nod to SM. But yeah we have to have Honedge available in some capacity in these games.

Looking at it some more, what I was talking about earlier that I thought was some fourth entity that was invisible might've just been the grass popping back up in the footprint spots from where Sobble sprayed water on it. The rock Grookey was hitting with his stick was probably one of the ones placed right next to the footprints you see when Scorbunny lands.

I hope Sobble has access to Protean.

Edited by Shradow