LordCowCow

What Can We Do To Make The Site Better?

Question

Hey guys, Cow here. Going off on my own with this one but I figured I'd post this. Wasn't sure where to go but this is as good as anywhere.

Basically I want you all to use this to mention any issues you have with how the site is and anything we can do to make things better. Basically I'm wanting to reach out to see if anyone has any ideas of things they think could make the site more worthwhile. Any idea is fine (not every idea will be used of course) just wanting to have some sort of open discussion.

I know the purpose of this section as a whole is to do this but I thought people might be more willing to present some ideas if asked.

(Also I know there are some suggestions still in the section if any of you feel they need more discussion feel free to post in those)

9 answers to this question

Threads like this are a pretty good start on site improvement. It's a good place to bring up things that people may think are too minor to warrant their own entire thread's worth of attention (like I will at the end of this post). I can mainly only think of one minor and one major suggestion. I'll start with the bigger one since it's both the one I care less about and the one that seems less likely.

Restructuring Blogs and Clubs back into forum sections. Or at least just Clubs. While blogs are still doing alright on the new site, clubs are very clearly struggling, though the presence of Discord may not be helping matters much either. As a proper section again, it would be less incredibly easy to overlook the active clubs, and potentially spot new ones members may be interested in. However, I don't know how this shift would work with the ones that are already up and running, which is why I'm hesitant about saying to go for it.

The other is to make it to where emotes don't automatically replace some character combinations in the post editor. This was something YCM used to do as well until it was brought up, and I've been thinking about making a thread but it seemed too minor to warrant its own thread's worth of attention, so this is the perfect place to bring it up.

I guess more advertising about the site to get new people goes without saying.
Personally I would like more forum fun time events. I had a blast with Yui's antics when he was a mod, but since he left the mod team we have not had any noteworthy fun times with fads and avatar and name swaps, and all of that.

I concur with Darj, and also want to report the fact that after I post a link and it gets auto-embedded, the editor doesn't let me add any text after it, unless some text was already there. I need to post and edit in order to do that.

Edited by Damian Thorne

Whenever I try to check an item description in the shop, it gives me this message:

[[Template membersshop/front/shop/view is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I tried it with all themes, and it doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Damian Thorne said:

Whenever I try to check an item description in the shop, it gives me this message:

[[Template membersshop/front/shop/view is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I tried it with all themes, and it doesn't work.

What browser are you using? Also is it on mobile?

Btw for questions like this in the future it's better to have it in a seperate thread so this thread of ideas for changes doesn't get too cluttered.

1 hour ago, LordCowCow said:

What browser are you using? Also is it on mobile?

Btw for questions like this in the future it's better to have it in a seperate thread so this thread of ideas for changes doesn't get too cluttered.

I'm using Firefox, but not on mobile.

I will try to keep that in mind.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:08 PM, Damian Thorne said:

I'm using Firefox, but not on mobile.

I will try to keep that in mind.

I'm not sure what to suggest being frank, everything seems to work on my end?

Could you provide a full screenshot from your perspective/

I'm posting this so I can mark it as best answer to remove it from my "questions with no best answers" since it's already pinned but hey feel free to make more suggestions.