LordCowCow

MechA cademy [IC/PG-13/Co-Hosted by Skaia/Not Accepting]

fccpSmd.png

"What's that? Attack? No, of course not. Marcelo doesn't attack anyone. Well, alright, perhaps he's a bit...overzealous when protecting his territory. Which is wherever he happens to be at the time. You just got unlucky that you came to the library during Marcelo's reading time. Wouldn't be a problem if you were at lunch with the others."

It also wouldn't be a problem if you didn't let a zealously territorial flamingo into the school.

"And of course you're not hungry. You don't need food. But that's not what lunchtime is all about you know. It's a time to get to know your classmates, to complain about your teachers and principal, " he lowered his sunglasses and winked at this point, "and to get into just a little bit of trouble now and then."

"When did he find out?" Sammi thought, not realizing she had thought it aloud. "Am I really that obvious? If the other mes are anything like that, we could have a serious problem on our hands. Or maybe there's more to this guy than he lets on. Might be dangerously perceptive."

"What sort of studying were you planning to do anyway? Surely you have classes and after school for that."

"Oh, that, well..." She didn't really want to admit that she'd gotten a shitty grade in probably the most important subject for her to not get a shitty grade in, but based on how this conversation had gone so far? Sammi wasn't sure if she could get anything past this guy anyway. "Modern studies. Today in general education we took an all-around test, and my grade in that subject was... bad. I'm clearly behind the times, so I decided I would fix that first and foremost."

hzxKAxh.png

"Colia, huh? I've heard you guys have military academies. Lucky you. Where I'm from, you only get that kind of training if you join the Watch, the Overseers, or a gang."

Vivian nodded along to Kansuke's answer, as she worked her way through her own food. Time was probably of the essence here, lest somebody claim her lunch as additional ammo in the spectacular display of flying food. That would suck.

"Sigma Reach, Decima Seven. S'not as bad as people think. The food's not as bland, for example."

"I think the food is fine." Suddenly, a third person had joined in! A worryingly pale girl, with a pillow and a bear she was nobly protecting from the onslaught of projectile food. "Do you come from a world of delicacies?"

"Do you?" Vivian echoed, looking back over to Kansuke. A gourmet planet? Surely something like that existed somewhere! The galaxy was too big and the planets too numerous for that to not exist somewhere! "Colian food is plenty good, but I wouldn't call any of it a delicacy. Tourists can be a bit let down by it. Among other things..."

The phrase "I thought this was the dry season" had become like nails to her brain over the years. The topic of food did get her wondering though, as she finished off her sandwich...

"They breed livestock where you're from, right? Like cows and sheep and stuff?"

Edited by Summer Yui

"Do you come from a world of delicacies?"

"They breed livestock where you're from, right? Like cows and sheep and stuff?"

Kansuke couldn't really get a word in edgewise at first, so he just ate and watched them rant until they actually paused for breath. "OK, to answer your questions: no, and no. We mostly eat fish, shellfish, leviathan meat--" He furrowed his eyebrows, suddenly having a realization. "Oh. Salt." He looked down at his food and snapped his fingers. "Damn, I must be stupid.... oh well." Returning to the conversation, he picked up where he left off. "Anyway, we also have a lot of fruit..."

Erica

The people by Merlin had to scatter as Erica upended one of the tables. Though he still sat cross-legged in the middle of the table he was on despite this. He watched the girl with amusement as food stuff crashed against the table aimlessly. Soon enough the people who had assaulted her decided to move on to other targets and left her to her own devices.

It was then she'd be able to approach Merlin without fear of flying food. Though the students around him started to trickle back and were watching her warily even so.

"Well that was a good bit of fun wasn't it? It's certainly hard to pin down how you're going to react to situations. Which makes it all the more interesting." He ended his statement with a big wink and he offered her a hand to help her up onto the table he was sitting on.

Stella and Kelsey

"now fight on brave soldier." 

"With such a great cheerlea- uh, support on my side how can I not?" Kelsey stretched and wiped some of the coconut milk away from her face with the back of her hand. "Alright then, what's next you think?"

It was then that a tall, muscular, girl who had several tiger-ish traits landed on the other side of the table and made it shake.

She was holding some sort of poultry drumstick in her hand. Though the size of it made Kelsey suspect it was from some sort of dinosaur instead. She smacked her hand with it and slowly, gracefully, moved towards Kelsey. "So another first year upstart eh? How about you take me on eh? My name's Tor and I'm basically the boss around here."

Kelsey looked her up and down and snorted. "Alright, let's see about that." She looked over to Stella. "Think you'll be fine on your own for a bit?"

"If your little friend wants to try her luck too she's more than welcome. I'm not afraid of two on one." Tor said with a smug shrug. "Bring it on!" She shouted.

Vivian and Kansuke

The young girl looked between Vivian and Kansuke and let out a yawn before burrowing her head further into the pillow on her lap. "So it's not very interesting then." She muttered.

Tor, the tiger girl's, shout of "Bring it on" made the girl look over towards the table it came from. Where she saw the muscular girl squaring off against some other first year girl. She watched with interest for a moment before she noticed something. "The others are getting closer."

Sure enough it seemed that the fight was starting to creep closer to where they were. It seemed people were trying to give the table that Tor and Kelsey were on a wide berth while continuing their own little wars.

Sammi

"Modern studies. Today in general education we took an all-around test, and my grade in that subject was... bad. I'm clearly behind the times, so I decided I would fix that first and foremost."

The principal began to laugh. A great big belly laugh of the sort that required the one laughing to put hands on his stomach and throw his head back. "Ahhh, that's great. Of all the things. Well I suppose that's not too surprising. Still, what a wild subject to have to learn about."

He tapped his fingers on his stomach and nodded his head as though he was listening to a beat and was ready to break out into dance at any moment.

Then suddenly he snapped his fingers loudly and pointed them at Sammi in a finger gun formation. "If that's what you want to learn about there's a lot better than the library."

He raised his finger gun and pointed up with one finger. "One, just walk around and talk to people. You'll learn all sorts of gossip and news from that."

The brought his other hand up in another finger gun pointing up. The action was so swift for a moment Sammi was sure it was accompanied by the sound of an old school gun hammer being cocked. "Two, phones are an excellent source of news if you have the right app." He thought a second "Do you not have one?"

Before she responded he pulled one, covered in rhinestones, out of his pocket "If not you can have this one. Don't worry about me I have nine of these bad boys."

Erica left the table once the onslaught died down and headed to where Merlin was. Of course, the titanic effort of moving a table like that and the amount of pressure due to the fight were enough to sap her strength, so she was barely able to join his table and eventually fall flat on her face at his feet, her energy having totally burnt. She looked up at him, trying to keep her sternness even in the face of absolute exhaustion and even with her body covered in various alimentary products. "I... wanted to... talk to you... about your-URKH" She suddenly felt like gagging. Much to her chagrin, she had a bit of allergy to the smell of milk. Only the smell, though. In fact, her sense of smell was badly reacting to a lot of products in her person, causing her gag reflex to trigger.

Stella stood by and was ready to go retreat back into the safety of her table and chair fortress, when someone had  come by and challenged the two of them directly. Stella was definitely spooked both by the sheer size of the muscular girl as well as just what it was she was holding. Stella wanted no part in getting a brawl with the woman but she knew that Kelsey wouldn't turn down a challenge like this. While Stella knew that size wasn't everything when it came to a brawl she still couldn't help but feel like this was an overall bad idea. All the same, gulping, the girl didn't want to leave her friend by herself for the fight and so she said, "don't worry. I uh, I got your back." Which was much easier said then done in this situation. There was absolutely no way she was getting any closer to their opponent, and so she looked at the ground. Getting an idea, the girl picked up a handful of ketchup packets, squeezing them before launching them in a spread towards the girl. 

Erica

Merlin raised an eyebrow as Erica started to gag. "And here I thought we hit it off. Not often a girl reacts like that just to talking to me."

He rifled a bit through his pockets until he brought out what looked like a square of paper and beckoned Erica closer. He took her hand and turned it over so her palm was facing upward. With a soothing smile he slapped the paper on her hand and began to trace it up and down.

Erica noticed that her allergic reaction was lessening and Merlin gave a wink and made a "shh" gesture as he tossed the, now blank, paper to the side.

"Now. Whatever could it be you wanted?" He asked.

Stella and Kelsey

"Stella, no, you don't gotta..."

"Shove it. The girl can do what she wants. If she wants to get beat down as well then she sure as hell is welcome to."

"You're not beating down anyone got it?" Kelsey said as she bent down and put her fists through a couple of whole pumpkins and raised them like a pair of boxing gloves.

Tor smirked and started to advance on the pair. Stella's ketchup spray was clearly not what the tiger-girl had expected as her face was entirely unguarded. As of such the ketchup struck her in the eyes and forced her to close them and start rubbing with her arm. "Ah, you sneaky bitch!" Tor cursed as she rubbed at it.

"What did you say?" Kelsey growled as she launched herself at the girl. When Tor cleared her eyes it was to see Kelsey coming in with a right-pumpkin hook. Tor raised up her leg of meat and stopped the pumpkin in its tracks.

Kelsey went to swing her other pumpkin at her but Tor reached forward and grabbed the end of the pumpkin before she could land.

Locked like that Kelsey couldn't do much but it seemed Tor wasn't as locked down. She grunted and pushed the right pumpkin down and then brought her improvised club upwards. Delieving a poultry uppercut to the girl and causing her to stumble back.

"Nice try." Tor said.

Stella was relieved to hear from Kelsey that she in fact did not need to get into this kind of a tussle. She still was, for more reasons than one, but it was good to know that her friend did not want her to opt into fights with scary tiger people. Her fears were only made more realized as her ketchup spray didn't have quite the impact she was expecting - though that they had any impact at all probably meant they had more than she was actually expecting - and the fighter managed to stop Kelsey's own punch. As her friend was knocked back, Stella stood behind her to catch and keep her from falling. Looking around, Stella raised her hand up and caught a water bottle flying through the air. Giving it to her friend she said, "come on Stella, you can get back in the ring and do this. You've taken down bigger girls then her before, right?" 

After giving the girl her pep talk and refreshment, Stella looked around trying to figure out what more she could do to help. Despite how big she was, their opponent didn't seem like a mindless brute and she hardly doubted doing the same thing would work again....Unless it would? The girl looked at the now half finished water bottle and then found something on the ground. "Alright, I got this Kelsey." 

With a fish in one hand and the water bottle in another, Stella approached Tora with hesitation. It was clear that she was very uncomfortable with what she was about to do, and did not have the proper posture or stance of a fighter at all. All the same, the girl let out a, "hiyah!" as she swung her red herring towards the girl. Her swing wouldn't get very close to even hitting Tora, but much to the surprise of everyone it was actually a feint. For after her swing had finished, regardless of if Tora was on the defensive or offensive, Stella would immediately follow it up by throwing water at the cat girl. 

Erica breathed deeply once she began to feel better. She was confused about what happened, but after Merlin signaled her, she didn't press comments. She sat down and, while feeling a little embarrassed and also still a bit heavy, she focused on her petition. "I... want to be part of your house..." Erica was very proud of herself and doing this was still very hard. "I am a good mechanic and fighter, or at least I believe so myself... but my social understanding is less than average and I do not have enough to move around in this place. I..." her embarrassment reaches "glowing tomato" levels. "I... need your help..."

"The others are getting closer."

"I've noticed," Kansuke paused, weighing his options as he finished his food quickly. The queen of insecurity was within range of his throwing arm, and he kind of really wanted to plaster her face with something that'd be difficult to get out of her fur. On the other hand, he might get worse than a few bruised ribs this time around, and in this chaos who would be able to tell his blood from some vegetable-based sauce?

"
...I'm not picking another fight with that freak." He muttered, grabbing the miniature loaf of bread from his tray and stuffed it in his mouth, practically inhaling the whole thing. He turned to his classmate. "Cap Head. I'm gettin' outta here, you comin'?"

fccpSmd.png

"Ahhh, that's great. Of all the things. Well I suppose that's not too surprising. Still, what a wild subject to have to learn about."

"You're telling me." Wait. If he was the principal, didn't that mean that subject being there was his call? Unless he left that sort of work to someone else.

"If that's what you want to learn about there's a lot better than the library."

Is there, now? If there was a better resource, Sammi was by all means happy to use that instead.

"One, just walk around and talk to people. You'll learn all sorts of gossip and news from that. Two, phones are an excellent source of news if you have the right app. Do you not have one?"

Sammi didn't even have time to confirm she didn't have a phone before the principal pulled one out, and handed it to Sammi. It was, simply put, incredibly tacky. He then assured her not to worry about this charitable act, as he had plenty more phones. "Right..." She was supposed to thank him, right? And then get used to using the damn thing. "Thanks, uh... for the phone." Phones were also good for talking to people too, weren't they?

What a handy little thing to have. She wasn't going to get much library research done with that flamingo there. Best to head elsewhere then. Talking to people meant the cafeteria. Sammi retraced her steps, heading there. The robot girl opened the door... only to be greeted with absolute mayhem. And a sandwich containing some form of meat flying through the air and right into her face.

"...nope." Just as casually as she had opened the door, Sammi shut it again, backing away from the pandemonium occurring in there. She'd talk to people when it wasn't in a warzone of nutrition.

hzxKAxh.png

"OK, to answer your questions: no, and no. We mostly eat fish, shellfish, leviathan meat-- Oh. Salt. Damn, I must be stupid.... oh well. Anyway, we also have a lot of fruit..."

"So it's not very interesting then."

"Seafood," Vivian mused aloud. Surely a good source of meat on any planet with any sort of ocean. And surely something that would be on most Colian menus by the time Vivian's schooling here was done with. "Sounds like fun! You shouldn't underestimate what sorts of fruits are out there, er..." Her name. She hadn't said that, had she? "Sorry, what was your name again? I'm Vivian. It's nice to meet you."

"Again?" She said, looking up through her eyelashes at Vivian. "Erm. Amethyst."

"Got it. You shouldn't underestimate fruits, Amethyst!"

"The others are getting closer."

"Cap Head. I'm gettin' outta here, you comin'?"

"Sure thing. Let me just..." Vivian rounded up what little was left on her tray, as she got back up to her feet, offering Amethyst a hand up as well. "That Sigma Reach place sounds interesting! You'll have to tell me more about it sometime, after we've done our research for the project we had to work on."

Erica

Merlin smirked at Erica's embarrassment. "Oh what is this then? I must thank you for giving me such a lovely sight." He put a finger to his temple and thought over what she had just said. Food continued to soar overhead but, Erica would notice, none of them seemed to get close to the boy and his group. In fact some of them seemed to even change course as they neared him as though actively avoiding the house leader.

"Well, I'd love to let in someone as beautiful as you in right now but...sadly there's rules even I have to follow. But lucky for you the sign ups will be happening soon. You'll have to take an itsy bitsy test before you can be let in but...I'm sure you'll be able to handle it." He winked at her.

"Now, if I'm not mistaken...I'm going to be rather distracted in about 3, 2, 1...."

Kansuke and Vivian

Amethyst looked up at Vivian who was offering her a hand and frowned. "Does this mean I have to go somewhere?" She let out a small sigh and grabbed onto Vivian's hand. The girl would notice how small the girls hands were compared to her own and, with them all standing, it was clear how incredibly short the girl was.

Amethyst looked over at the crowd and gave a dreamy smile "It happens every year..." She didn't elaborate on this as she let Vivian lead her wherever they were going to next.

However after a few moments of moving Amethyst paused, looked towards the door, and said "Mm, it'll be done in a bit I bet. I just hope he doesn't get hit in the meantime." She lazily lifted her stuffed animal.

And as though putting a target on the thing a barrage of fruits came soaring towards the small group. "Ah. Is this what you meant?" Amethyst said to Vivian.

Kelsey and Stella

Kelsey gladly took the water from Stella. "Thanks. She's a lot tougher than I thought." The girl seemed both excited and annoyed by this fact as once as she drank some of the water. Before pouring the rest over her face. Making her hair, face, and shirt wet in an attempt to cool off.

How she did that while wearing pumpkins on her fists was anyone's guess.

She was about to stop Stella from getting too close but couldn't help but be amused at seeing the girl swing the fish at Tor.

The tiger-girl didn't seem very impressed and was geared up to bat the fish down but only caught air as the fish went off to the side. Despite herself Tor looked over for a second and when she looked back she was getting water across her face as well. Though unlike Kelsey this wasn't her intention.

Tor blindly swung her meat at Stella but was intercepted by Kelsey rushing over and knocking it to the side. She cocked her fist back to go for a punch to the girl's face.

Then Tor's eyes flicked over to the side and she sighed "Oh, come on." She muttered. Which gave Kelsey pause.

Everyone

As Vivian closed the door and started to walk away she saw the vice-principal approaching with swift but measured footsteps. A look of anger on her face.

Behind her was a tall, serious looking, student.

The vice principal only glanced at Vivian before continuing on. The student's gaze lingered much longer though it also seemed entirely devoid of emotion despite the intensity.

Meanwhile the vice principal burst the door open and stepped inside the warzone. She pulled out a small device from a pocket, if anyone were close enough they might be able to make out "mini-megaphone" printed on it, and her voice boomed out.

"Everyone. STOP!" As soon as she did all of the second and third years halted in their tracks. The first years continued on for a few moments but even they trailed off after they realized what their seniors were doing. They all turned towards her and caught the fury in her gaze.

"This is entirely UNACCEPTABLE" she started to pace back and forth. "You are meant to represent the galaxy's finest pilots and this is what you do given a moment of freedom? I should have you all hu- er, expelled for this!....But given this is only the first week, and the principal has told me to be.....nice, I will just say this is the last straw for each and every one of you!"

She took a deep breath and then "House Leaders, come with me. You will tell me exactly how this mess started."

Spoiler

So, bit of stuff to react to, and then the vice comes in and puts a stop to things. Feel free to add a bit of stuff before she gets there but yeah. Probably soon we'll be moving on to the next class.

Erica was certainly embarrassed about this, even though she did notice the food's physics being altered by his presence, she was way too focused on him. She even felt her face get hotter as he replied to her, even if she tried to keep her cold demeanor and expression, her face was glowing red like a traffic light. She, of course, understood that it was no time yet for it and she was determined to test herself, whatever that was, so she only nodded Then he did the countdown and, at that moment the vice principal entered. The moment she called everybody's attention, she rushed to her feet to salute... and tripped with a puddle of sausage mush, began to lose balance and fell from the table to the floor flat on her face, which was now emitting steam from the redness it was sporting. She really loathes food fights.

Stella looked wide eyed and was stunned as the tiger girl's attack was about to smash into her. Letting out a sigh of relief as Kelsey had managed to land in a good hit, she looked to her friend, waving the fish to her. "Thanks for the save." Turning to face the rest her opponent yet again, Stella was still nervous as the girl didn't seem all that phased by their attacks. Yet, before things could continue further someone new had entered the room. Stiffening up as she saw the vice principal move and call the whole food fight to a halt. Letting out yet another sigh of relief as the woman left, and the whole situation had seemed to have resolved itself, Stella looked over to Tor. 

"Well, uh. I guess it's a draw?  Uh, good work. Thanks for the match?" Stella didn't really know how these things worked herself, but felt like she should offer a handshake. Though, she was very hesitant to do so thinking that the tiger woman would break her hand if they did so. So instead, she raised and offered the fish she had in her hand to the woman awkwardly. She, once again, could not help but wonder if she was being offensive towards the woman if unintentionally so. 

The energy seemed to have been sapped out of the room at the words of the vice-principal. Even the previously most aggressive of food fighters were slumped over in defeat. The woman looked over the room with an stern, disgusted, expression. Once the House Leaders came up to her she beckoned them to follow and left the room. She paused to say something to the red-haired student that she had come in with. He nodded and stood up straight with his arms crossed over his chest.

Even after she left part of her authority seemed to linger with the young man who was now looking over the room with an utter lack of passion in his gaze.

Tor growled under her breath as she looked at the man but even she seemed to back down from continuing the mayhem.

"Well, uh. I guess it's a draw?  Uh, good work. Thanks for the match?"

She raised an eyebrow at the girl and then glowered down at the fish. She smacked it downward. "Tch. That wasn't a draw. Because it wasn't a competition. If it were I'd have wiped the floor with you first years."

She shook her head and looked over towards the red-head. "Tching" again she rolled her eyes.

"Hey, why you gotta be so rude? We were just having some fun right? You should apologize." Kelsey said, stepping in front of Stella.

"Me? Apologize to some bratty newbies? Not on your life. Just grab your little girlfriend and get outta my face before I get real mad."

Spoiler

Sorry it's not much but decided to give a bit more time for people to wrap up what they wanna do here before moving us ahead to next class.

Try and get dialogue from people if you wanted to finish up or start a conversation.

The fish was definitely offensive. Stella would keep that in mind if she ever had to deal with catfolk in the future. Regardless, the tiger girl seemed to be very insistent on making the distinction that they weren't actually fighting to a draw as this wasn't a competition. Stella didn't quite understand why she was so aggressive about this point, but she didn't particularly want to pursue the topic in fear of actually re-initiating a fight against her. As a result, when Kelsey demanded an apology for her Stella simply patted her on the shoulder saying, "it's fine. Really. We'll just be on our way." Usually these kinds of meetings were punctuated with, "it was nice meeting you," or something but Stella didn't particularly feel like lying and she didn't think the tiger girl felt  the same way either. 

As the two of them split away from the girl, Stella said, "it's okay. Besides, there's always next time, right? So well," Stella looked around to see if anyone was listening in before smiling and turning back, putting a hand on her shoulder. "You just have to beat her in a real fight."  

When the barrage of fruits came at them Kansuke made the first decision that came to mind-- he stepped in front of the girls and swung his tray in a wide arc, causing those fruits that didn't stick to the tray or get swatted aside to hit him. All of them splattered on impact, including a rather soft citrus fruit that exploded against his shoulder and sprayed its juices into one of his eyes, so he didn't realize who was talking until she shouted,

"Everyone--"

"SON OF A,"

"--STOP."

Kansuke's curse went unfinished as he peered through the stinging blurriness of his now citrus-burned eyes. Great, the vice-principal was here-- that'd sort things out. Oh, and Soren was there. Good to know he was still out here enforcing the rules-- someone had to since it seemed like this place was such a damn madhouse.

"Crap, did you guys get hit? I can't really see, right now."

Edited by ChampionZero

Erica quickly got on her feet after all that mess. She was a disaster and also very embarrassed by the way she crash landed on the floor from the table. She went quickly to the bathroom to clean herself. After a quick impromptu wash, at least the milk smell wore off her. She decided to ditch her current clothing, due to the lots of stains in it, and pull out from her bag her kimono and knee high boots in order for her to be presentable for her next classes. She was not gonna let a bunch of oranges and other assorted foodstuff to make her miss a class.

hzxKAxh.png

"Everyone. STOP!"

Vivian turned her attention - as did the rest of the cafeteria - to the vice principal who had made a very much unamused entrance. Uh-oh. Vivian, having avoided getting involved in the food-flinging festivities, was probably off the hook, right?

"This is entirely UNACCEPTABLE! You are meant to represent the galaxy's finest pilots and this is what you do given a moment of freedom? I should have you all hu- er, expelled for this!....But given this is only the first week, and the principal has told me to be.....nice, I will just say this is the last straw for each and every one of you!"

The principal's mercy sure did come in handy. More importantly than that...

"Crap, did you guys get hit? I can't really see, right now."

"Hmmm..." Vivian looked over her person to confirm whether or not she was going to be walking out of this food fight with nary a stain on her person. Upon further inspection... not quite. Rolling her right shoulder around, Vivian answered "I got skimmed by what looks like a banana." Vivian picked up the piece of fruit from her shoulder, and popped it into her mouth. The stain was still there, but there was no reason to not at least eat the parts that could be picked up off her person, right? "More importantly, we should get you to a water faucet or the nurse's office or something. Letting that stuff stay in your eyes can't be good! Come on, this way." Grabbing Kansuke's hand, Vivian power-walked her way out of the cafeteria in search of somewhere to tend to the battle's newest casualty.

It turned out that after lunch the next class was to be Physical Education, which many students would know of as "gym class". When they arrived at the gymnasium, a large building attached to the school through a raised walkway, they would find a large traffic-cone with a sign attached to it saying "FIRST YEARS GO TO FIELD B"

Thankfully there were maps of the school that could be pulled up at any terminal that would lead them to said field.

It was similar to the gigantic field that they had had teacher introductions the other day but much smaller. Clearly meant for humans rather than mechs. If they were supposed to wear some kind of gym uniform they weren't told. Though some of the students had apparently found a changing room because they were wearing simple white t-shirts and red shorts with the school's logo on them.

The teacher was standing at the edge of the field as the students trickled in. Arms crossed over his bare chest as his jacket blew in the breeze behind him. He was silent and seemed to be counting the students as they came in. Once the trickle stopped he frowned and shook his head. "I see we already have some WEAKLINGS who didn't make it. You all better WORK HARD if you want to survive this training!"

A few nervous chuckles sounded and Kelsey raised an eyebrow at that. Surely he couldn't be serious, right?

But the glare he gave those who laughed showed that, yes, he meant what he said.

"I said it before but I'm Jax THE MAX Benton and I'll be teaching you noodle-armed kids the importance of PHYSICAL PROWESS! A pilot should always be in top condition. If you get stranded and your mech breaks down without MUSCLES you're sure to be CRUSHED by the hostile environment."

He stamped a foot and a rumbling sounded. "And so I've prepared a little obstacle course for you to get through. Something any pilot should be able to clear. We'll see just how much you all need to TRAIN based on this."

Kelsey looked around for said course but couldn't see anything. She leaned over to Stella "I think this guy might be a little nuts. What's with the teachers here anyway?"

But then the rumbling grew more intense and, beyond the teacher, the ground started to split.

A fork-billed bird was near the split and started to run full speed away as the ground opened up more and more. Until the entire field was now an open pit. More rumbling and something seemed to be rising up from the ground.

To call it an obstacle course was a disservice. No, what emerged from the ground that day was entirely something else. "A goddamn death trap." Kelsey said and started to laugh.

-----

The start of the course was directly in front of them. An archway with the words "Start" flashing on it led into the first of the obstacles. Dozens of long, thin, poles were placed into a pit a twenty feet deep and stuck out another eight feet. The bottom of the pit was concrete and a fall from there would surely hurt quite a bit.

From there they could see two large, glass, walls. With some sort of device attached that red laser beams criss-crossed across a moat with twenty hovering platforms, only a couple feet wide, spaced apart across the moat. Which seemed to be filled with lava.

After this was a classic. A crawl under a twenty foot long barbed wire field. With just enough space to squeeze under. On either side were turrets that fired some sort of ammunition just above the barbed wire.

From there was a series of simple ropes attached to a wall. These ropes had no knots in them and were surprisingly smooth. Leading the students to believe they had to use the wall to climb. Which had some sort of checkerboard pattern on it. When they got a closer look the could see that these checkerboards, each above a foot squared, were black and white. The black ones sparked with electricity.

Once at the top there were multiple narrow bridges that extended across the field. Pendulums, more like large axe blades, were set into a bar above the bridge and swung back and forth. Once a student had stepped onto a bridge a robot with a flamethrower would emerge and begin chasing them across the bridge. Forcing them to run while avoiding the pendulums.

And then they finally got to the last of the obstacles. Several pathways split off, each with heavy weights blocking the path. A total of three weights were between the start and finish. With ten feet of space in between. In the middle of each was what appeared to be a robotic sumo wrestler who would try and grab and knock the student off the path.

At the end of all this was a long, curving, slide that would lead them back towards the start of the obstacle course.

"Well?" Jax said. "Get to it! A special prize for whoever has the fastest time!"

A horn sounded and a timer appeared on the starting sign. And blue light, some sort of sensor, started to scan the archway. As soon as the students crossed it would scan them and record their personal time.

Spoiler

Welcome to JAX THE MAX'S EVALUATION COURSE

Yes it's extreme and yes that's intentional. People can go in several at a time and feel free to fail as badly or not as you want. But it won't be easy for anyone.

Erica saw the course and saw the people trying it. She was pondering the chances to actually feign sickness to avoid it, only for that part of her brain to be repeatedly shot down and removed from the equation. She already got harmed, embarrassed and even humiliated by this school. This is her chance to blow some steam. She approaches the starting line. People are probably wondering how will she run in a "robe", but she has it covered. She takes running stance... and in one quick motion, she discards her kimono and underneath it she has a red gym leotard with a kind of bronze colored band in the waist like a shiny corset and a pair of flats with bronze colored soles. At closer look, the soles are just colored brown with slight glitter and the corset is also not metallic, but made of fabric. Of course, she wouldn't let them a closer look as she quickly dashed off through the starting line.

Erica saw the poles and knew the intention was to try and leap on the top of the poles, but she actually decided to leap to the actual pole and grab it, then swing to a different pole using the pole's natural flexibility and reach this way the other side. She was no grasshopper to leap all on her tiptoes. In fact, her tiptoes may be dangerous and she wasn't gonna risk a fall in concrete.

The laser chamber was a problem because it needed precision and speed as well more than physical prowess. But she was in a rush, so she decided to take advantage of the fact she was basically smaller not only than everyone around her because of her age, but also smaller than the average 15 y-o girl. She leapt to the wall to avoid the first lasers and then went to the first platform, quickly taking a stance similar to a frog before frog leaping from platform to platform. She did it because the size required she was as little as possible and she wasn't gonna risk to see if the moat was actually filled with lava or not.

She hated the crawl thing ever since she had her drill training before heading in. She was gonna do it differently this time. She gripped the wires themselves and dragged herself using her feet to push. Her arms started tiring half way, but she didn't give up and kept pulling to the best of her talent. She was also getting increasingly dirty. But in the end, she made it. She will try to do them the regular way next time.

The wall was something she was used, but the whole use of the shocking tiles was kind of strange. She was not gonna climb it bare handed and to top it all off, some of the tiles were shocking? Screw this thing. She took the rope, took a deep breath and jumped, then used the momentum to spin and roll the rope around her waist. She then slowly began to wrap the rope around her, the reaction causing her to climb up. She was not as strong as she would like to, but sometimes she didn't need to. Once she reached the top, she simply pulled the rope wrap down and she got out of it like if it was a tight skirt.

She saw the students going before her and saw the robots, but she was already planning to speed up. As she got to the first pendulum, she actually leapt to it and did the same thing as she did in the first stage. She came to realize that running a marathon against a robot was not her forte, so she had to think outside of the jar. She almost falls once, but her foot actually hooked her to one of the pendulums and the swing tossed her back in the proper bridge, where she simply ran and dodged the final pendulum. Being chased by flamethrowing robots... what was next? Battling a sumo?

... and she immediately regretted her thoughts as she saw the thing coming for her in the final test. She saw the pathways being blocked by the heavy weights and she expected that the idea was to move the weights and avoid the sumos as she would go forward. The main problem is, obviously, the weights, which seem already complicated for any of the other kids, but for Erica is almost impossible to lift. She tried, indeed, but she can't seem to pull it up. She looks down and then to the sumo in front. She tries to lift the weight for a while, but it's unfortunately too much for the little girl. So she won't even try to play fair against this death trap. She takes momentum and dashes off, not before vaulting over the weight and using it as a leverage to leap over the sumo. Her first attempt, of course, the sumo grabs her, so she simply holds tight to the sumo and, the moment it lets go, she pulls off and back to the start of the path. This time, she rushes back, dashes in and when the sumo incomes, she slides underneath it, thanks to her small size and rolls over the next weight. Same thing she does immediately after and barely manages to make it, her leotard is snagged by the shoulder so she loses a sleeve and the shoulder clothing almost up to the neck. She's not happy about that damage, but she likes the style she got.

She goes the slide down and manages to do it... in roughly 1.5 times the time of the person right behind her. Well, she's unlikely to win any prize, but she really wants nothing to do with it right now, she just wants this class to be over.

"Yeah none of the teachers are what I would call...normal..." Stella gulped as she saw the obstacle course laid out before her. She didn't have much time to ask the teacher for permission due to her condition, both because the man's intensity was not one she could possibly match as well as simply being swept along in the momentum of the class. Looking to Kelsey, clear worry in her eyes she said, "it's been an honor serving with you. But I don't think I'm making it out of my first day here." Taking a deep breath the girl began her trek into the course proper. 

The first course was one that was a series of poles set about in the ground. Thinking that she'd have to use the polls in some way, Stella gulped as she saw the bottom knowing that it would be messy if she messed up. And so, with a running start the girl made her way over to the poles and took hold of one as she tried to use it to leap over the pit. Then, with a twang the girl was launched forward and far down, smacking immediately into the ground below. 

The second course was a series of platforms, each with an intricate laser grid that was over top a lava mote. The girl looked down, clearly nervous about what would happen if she fell, as well as what would happen if she were to touch the lasers. Knowing there was no way she was going to be the fastest though, Stella took solace in the idea of just going slow and steady at her own pace. She didn't have to finish fast, just at all. Right? With this in mind, Stella  jumped to the first platform immediately losing balance and falling into the mote below as she let out an, "ahhhhhhhh!" 

Stella walked to the third part of the obstacle, her clothes and body covered in soot and burn marks. Reaching up towards her hair, the clearly disgruntled girl pinched at a tip of hair that was still ignited, putting it out. Thankfully, the second part of the obstacle course required the girl to crawl which was good because she didn't quite feel like standing after the first one. Unthankfully the girl's arms weren't particularly strong and so she simply started dragging her  body, face planting into the ground across the field slowly but surely.

Panting as she made her way to the next course, her face smudged with dirt the girl looked at the rope. Twitching as she thought she'd have to climb the rope, the girl took the rope in her hands. Beginning to climb the rope, the girl put her metallic foot against the wall, instantly feeling an electric shock pass through her whole body. Swinging away from the wall, her body locked in place due to her minor electrocution, the girl swung back to the wall. Her leg pressed against it again and the horrifying process continued to repeat itself. 

Clawing her way to the top of the rope course, the girl stood up. Her entire body was still trembling from the several million volts that were likely passing through her. As such, running in the next part was a bit difficult. Which was a shame because she had yet another bout with fire, as the flamethrower mech behind her began to chase her. Hobbling forward, trying to hurry now the girl was instantly knocked off the bridge as she was hit by one of the pendulums with a resounding "thunk." 

At the last part of the obstacle course, the battered Stella hoisted up the heavy weight that was put before her. Slowly making her  way, clearly struggling and groaning all the way as she lifted it, she was eventually stopped by a robotic sumo in her way. The girl knew exactly what was coming up, and so rather than try to do anything to avoid it she just held the weight out. "Here. Take it." Shoving the weight into the hands of the robot, the sumo seemed confused at the gesture and just grabbed onto it. Exasperated, Stella walked past the robot, before it turned around and shoved the weight into the girl. Pinned down by the weight, the girl slowly but surely started to push herself forward, weight resting on her back. 

To those that had finished before her, Stella would appear to be face down against the slide as she made her way down. Slowly, without getting up, she patted her hand against the finish line letting out a weak, "goooal..."

Edited by Skaia

"it's been an honor serving with you. But I don't think I'm making it out of my first day here."

"Don't worry you dork, if you have trouble just call for me and I'll be right there." She looked over the course again "Looks scary but I bet I can take this no problem." There wasn't any time to continue to trash talk the course as it was time to start going.

She took off at a sprint. Having to leap over the bird that had wandered back in the way as she went.

Keeping up the speed she grabbed onto one of the poles without much concern. Kicking off the ground she pushed her way towards the other side. However she realized, where her mechanical arm was gripping it, there was too much pressure. The pole started to snap halfway there and she was forced to dive off and landed hard on the ground.

Ignoring the chuckle, coming from the movie star boy, she pounded the ground out of frustration. Such a stupid mistake right off the back. She wanted to be first but she couldn't with things like that slowing her down.

Sighing she stood up. Kelsey knew she had to keep going fast if she wanted to catch up. Unfortunately the next obstacle seemed to be intent on slowing them down. The lasers meant that each jump had to be careful as to avoid being singed by the lasers. But she was starting to get behind...

"Screw it, go big or go home." She said. With a running start she dove forward. Diving between several lasers to race ahead several platforms. From there on she continued to leap recklessly.

She landed on the other side with a grin "Easy!" She shouted. Then she smelt something burning and looked over to her mechanical arm. Noticing that one of the lasers had grazed it and gouged some of the metal. "Whoops." She muttered. "Gonna have to get that checked..."

The next caused her frustration to grow more. This time there was nothing more she could do except crawl as fast as she could. Using her metal arm to push aside the wire where it dipped a bit too low. She wasn't too concerned about the gunfire above her head. She knew it wasn't aiming for her and it wasn't the first time she had gunfire so nearby. It was a fairly common thing back home. Living with a gang leader did that to you.

The rope gave her pause for a moment. She started out by tugging on it with her mechanical arm. She only started once she knew it wasn't going to tear off as she climbed. With a grunt she started up. Trying to go as fast as she could. Which resulted in a few zaps and by the time she was at the top she was twitching and her leg was tingling.

As she crossed the pendulum bridge she was frustrated to realize that she had to take it slower. She didn't have full control over her body, due to the electrical shock, and she wasn't able to dash. Kelsey didn't even notice the robot until she felt the head on her backside.

With a bit of a yelp she realized she had to speed up. Leaping forward she just barely avoided running right into one of the pendulums. Despite her increased haste she realized the robot was gaining on her and the pendulums weren't moving fast enough. With reluctance she pushed forward and put her arm out. Allowing the pendulum to hit her metallic forearm and slowing it just enough to push past and onto the next part of the course.

She frowned down at it. Several gashes were now clear to see on the false arm. And it wasn't as though she had something to cover it up. "Guess I'm in for a lecture." She muttered as she moved to the final challenge.

The weights weren't too big of a problem. She was worn out but they were light enough for her to lift. What the issue was were the robots in between. While she thought she could avoid around them to get to the next weights...she didn't really want to turn her back on them. So she spent far too much time shoving the robots off the side and, at the end, she felt both pride and shame competing against each other in her head.

The pride was quashed a bit as she realized that the robots were replaced just as soon as she passed them by. "Good going, wasted your time playing with expendable robots. Such a fighter Kelsey. Much speed. Wow." She shook her head as she went down the slide.

Her time was not nearly as good as she had expected. Though it seemed she was still ahead of many of them. She noticed the movie star had made it ahead of her which caused her blood to boil while she waited for Stella to finish.

"goooal..."

She was in a foul mood but she couldn't help but smile as she saw the girl. "So, wanna get one of these for back home?" She asked as she held her hand out for the girl to grab.

hzxKAxh.png

While she was no stranger to obstacle courses, Vivian had to admit, this one was... pretty extreme. Not the kind of thing she'd expect to stumble upon just about anywhere, least of all in a school. Rather than rushing in, Vivian stood back for a bit at first, watching the other students take on the course so she could better identify from outside what to watch for. Not too long though, lest she'd have Mr. Benton breathing down her neck about it. In particular, she watched and waited for Kellz - who scored pretty well compared to how other students were looking! - to finish the obstacle course before stepping up, taking care to not accidentally step through the archway, giving her recent-made friend a smile.

"Good run out there! Smart thinking with the barbed wire, too!"

"Ah, yeah...I guess so." She responded, looking at her arm with a bit of trepidation.

"But, you've still got competition." With a smirk, Vivian added as she took a couple steps back, "You're a better fighter than me, but this is where I'll show you what I'm really made of."

"Don't go falling in the lava. Stella needs a roommate." She teased.

"Did you forget? I'm an all-terrain girl if ever you'll meet one. Be right back!"

BGM

With a running start, Vivian bolted through the archway to start her run through the obstacle course. First thing was first: the pole. It was thin, but it was dry. Vivian was used to climbing in wet conditions, and scaling up a dry metal pole in turn proved to be a simple enough task that she went up in little time, not even needing the use of her legs aside from when she got off the pole. And immediately into the obstacle she was most worried about. The platforms. She wasn't worried about jumping from platform to platform. That part would be incredibly easy to Vivian. And because of that, the lava was of no concern either. No, what worried her were the lasers she had to dodge on top of all that. Nimble and athletic though she may have been, Vivian wasn't an action movie heroine or something like that.

But that didn't mean she could stop. Vivian refused to leave this course with a shorter time than Kellz. Not stopping to take a deep breath, Vivian kept moving, making for the platforms and not so much jumping across as running with a long stride. Each laser was a near miss for most of it, and even that was closer than Vivian would have liked. Realistically, she would have preferred there not be any lasers at all, but that would probably make this too easy. It was as she made her final jump that a laser came out from a spot she hadn't seen fire off when the others were passing through, landing her right in the ankle. Vivian stumbled a bit as she landed, a fresh new burning pain in her foot. That wasn't something she'd just walk off, was it? Next up was the barbed wire.

This, she could do easily. Hell, this, she had done before! As Vivian got down flat on the floor and started crawling, the tagline for the Colian army passed through her mind. "Hardy mechs, hardy pilots" the posters and commercials would say. They sure got that right. The crawl under the wire wasn't as fast as the previous sections, but it was pretty easy and painless. The next stage of the obstacle course was another climbing segment, which Vivian effortlessly worked her way up and past, making her way to the path of swinging pendulums. She already had a burning pain in her ankle, and wasn't eager to get another one on her back. Getting past the pendulums wasn't all that scary; it was getting the timing down. But once she'd picked up on that, the robot was a greater concern than those. So why, in that moment, was the last pendulum completely off-beat from the others?

The short pause Vivian gave was still enough for the tips of some hair on the back of her head to briefly catch some embers, prompting her to hurry the hell up and slip past, pausing for the first time after clearing the obstacle to pat out the fire-to-be on her head. Last but not least, the obstacle that would prove most difficult. The weights. Vivian took a deep breath, and with as much of a running start as she could manage, ran and made a leap across the path to get as close to the first weight as possible. Picking it up wasn't a struggle - it wasn't like this was a couch or something - but it was certainly quite heavy, and putting it at the end of the course was probably on purpose to make it seem heavier after other students had worn themselves out. Vivian, however, was not other students.

Still, she didn't have the lifting strength to get the weight lifted as quickly as someone like Kelsey. She just barely got past the weight as the sumo robot tried to reach out to grab her. This isn't working. New plan! Vivian sprinted across the second segment, jumping up and propelling herself up just a tiny bit higher along the second weight with her feet. It was close and just barely worked, but Vivian's fingers curled around the top of the weight, letting the girl get a grip and use it to climb up on top of the weight instead of lifting and going under. She hopped back down, looking at dismay with the third weight. It was just a teensy bit taller, but that teensy bit would be enough to ensure Vivian couldn't climb up it like she had with the one from just now.

So instead of trying any fancy parkour tricks on it, Vivian simply ran for the weight like a bat out of hell, then only lifted it up to about her hips before changing up her grip to let her slip in underneath it. And then she could slide back down to victory? Unscathed? Certainly not. Could she have done it faster? Yes, probably. But looking at her time, she had outpaced Kelsey and that movie star boy. That was her goal right now.

"Noted," Vivian sighed in relief as she stepped away from the slide. "I need to work on upper body strength."

"An obstacle course." Kansuke breathed a sigh. "Finally, something that has to do with the job." He took a few moments to watch the others attempt the course, while also doing some stretches to warm up. He'd recovered from the citrus incident, but his ribs were still bruised so he wasn't going to be at his best-- but he lived for this. His dad had taught him how to handle these sorts of things.

Stepping up to the platform, he tightened his boots as the thing scanned him, cracked his knuckles, and leapt right in.

First, the pit full of poles. Judging by how one of them broke, they couldn't hold much weight for long. He didn't have time to think about it: he had to go with his gut. He grabbed the nearest one and swung-- then let go, grabbing the other one to make use of his momentum, making his way in a serpentine manner to conserve energy. Swing, let go, grab; swing, let go, grab. It wasn't long before he reached the next obstacle.

Hopefully that wasn't real lava, but it wouldn't be an issue if he didn't fall. Avoid the lasers, land on the platforms. Nothing fancy-- go!

It was tricky, but he was able to make it through without slicing himself to bits. A few grazes, including a nasty one on his cheek early on.

The barbed wire crawl required barely any effort. It was killer on his chest, especially with his injury, but he couldn't help but smile through it. Just like Dad's.

Wall climb, ropes, no knots or handholds. Gross. He was too heavy for that trick one of the girls had pulled... but he had another tactic in mind: He took a running start at the wall and ran up it a ways, before grabbing a rope and pulling himself up the rest. Fortunately, his boots were insulated, so stepping on the black squares made no difference-- who designed this course?

Bridges and pendulums. His *least* favourite concept, but even with the robot it was all about timing and running in short bursts rather than trying to do it all at once. He even got the satisfaction of watching the robot get hit by a pendulum when he glanced back at the end.

At last, he reached the weights section. With his midsection burning from the last few, he knew he wasn't going to be able to rely on his upper body strength much here, plus there were more void-damned robots. Slowing down his breathing, he picked a path and got started, lifting the first weight without issue and, once he'd slipped under it, simply jumped on top of the first robot's head and vaulted over the second weight. Already having the high ground, he did the same on the second robot and the third weight, relying on his strong legs.

Having reached the end, he simply hopped into the slide and returned to the start, where he checked the timer.

"Nice," he admitted, clutching his side, "But I mighta done better."

Edited by ChampionZero

For those who finished early time seemed to be passing rather slowly. More and more people finished up the race several at a time. Until finally the last of the students, the loud girl from before named Bianca, reached the end (and then collapsed onto her knees in exhaustion).

The teacher was overlooking them all with one foot propped up on some cube that was covered in a sheet and his arms crossed over his muscular chest. Through the whole time, even as the first people finished up, he spoke not a word. Simply staring dramatically without even, it looked, to be breathing.

Once the last finished He moved his foot from the cube and walked around to the front of the crowd. "ALRIGHT!" He shouted. "You all SUCK!" He announced. Before the grumbling could start he raised a hand. "But that's fine. It's the first day after all. I'll make sure to drill each and every one of you until you can run TEN of these courses BLINDFOLDED with your arms TIED BEHIND YOUR BACK!"

He nodded and then pointed up to the archway again. "Now let's see which of you had the best time."

A square showed up on the sign and looked to be scrolling through various photos. Everyone's eyes were drawn to it as it finally stopped and lit up. Indicating the one with the highest score.

The picture was of a bird. A bird with a fork-bill.

A loud honk sounded and they students could see the bird from before hopping along on the ground nearby.

There was a pause and then Jax, the Max, Benton gave a shrug. "WELL LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A WINNER!"

Out of a bag he pulled out what looked like a stack of movies. The one on top had the main actor's visage on it. Who looked oddly similar to Mr Benton himself. He placed the movies down by the bird who then hopped up on top of it and gave the students an almost proud look.

"This...this is only the beginning." Jax said, turning back to the rest. "I've seen how you all are lacking and I promise you that before this year is over I'll turn you into true warriors...And now, for the game!"

He approached the cube and took the sheet off. Revealing some sort of machine with a touchpad on it. "There are many ways to exercise and train. Me, I started off with SPORTS! I joined every sport club and became the STAR of EACH! But since the principal said that would be too much and I couldn't pick one...I decided I'd let you all decide! This machine has every sport known to life on it. Pick your favorite sport and we'll start drills through this week to prepare. And then next week...we'll have a little competition!"

Kelsey's first thought that came to mind was boxing. She was fully prepared to search for it and choose but then she hesitated. If she picked that it meant that Stella would have to box someone. Which...She glanced over at the bookworm-type girl. Kelsey realized she wouldn't be able to stand back while someone threw a punch at her. Even for a school activity.

So she whispered to the girl as they got into line "Hey what do you think?" And simply went with whatever decision the girl came up with.

As she passed by the bird she gave it an incredulous look to which the bird stared back and honked at her. As if challenging the girl. "I wonder if I'd get in trouble for punching a bird." she muttered.

Meanwhile everyone would be able to overhear the movie star, Weston, loudly speaking while waiting in line. "I can't believe so many people had trouble with that. Sure, I had a lot of practice given my stunt work but really. So many people fell behind me when I wasn't even trying my best. And the ones who got better? I'm sure they had to work so very hard." He laughed.

"And a few of them even had a handicap and they couldn't keep up."

Kelsey didn't know how, he was clearly shouting for everyone to hear, but he was certain that he was talking about her and Stella. She began to turn back towards him. Pausing only when the other girl stopped her.

"What a prick." Kelsey hissed.

Eventually the votes would all be in and the results would appear on the screen as the teacher looked over it.

He grunted and turned to the rest, fists on his hips and chest thrust out in a superhero-esque pose. "Well, it's settled, the sport we'll be training for this week will be..."

Spoiler

CLIFFHANGER!

Okay but for real OOCly we should all decide what would be best. Reminder not every class every day will be in IC so don't worry about having to write the training stuff really. Basically what looking for here is...

What sport would be most fun to have a psuedo-tournament arc of. Not a real tournament but moreso doing a match or two (and likely not full thing that'd be ridiculous).

What your characters would choose ICly doesn't need to be taken into account if you don't want because of how many students there are so feel free to have them pick something based on their personal preferences. It just has to be a physical sport you use your body for. But OOCly it'd be better to choose something that would be fun to write out even if just highlights.

Also anyone who wants to overhear Weston or talk to any of the other NPCs about how they did can do so.

Next round we'll probably move on to the last class of the day unless we get into interaction stuff that y'all wanna play out.