LordCowCow

MechA cademy [IC/PG-13/Co-Hosted by Skaia/Not Accepting]

FrN9afL.jpg?1

iU8EggM.png

Chase was impressed with how things were actually fairing right now, especially in their favor. He had the Aegis Weiss shake the machine parts from it's blade and was about to turn around to strike the Bandito (#2) that was striking at the one who was striking the fellow mech, buuuuut he saw that it was already being taken care of, as this mech was already charging cannons to fire.

"Hehe, well then...would be bad for me to get involved right there." Chase laughed a bit, looking back at his display to see what else he could strike at to possibly assist. "One is there with the cannons mech (#2)...one is heading towards the hangar (#8)...and then there is one all the way up towards the front (#9)...so let's goooooo..."

The Aegis Weiss slowly turned to the only other Bandito left (#3) and shifted slightly. "You." Chase smirked and had the controls going full throttle as he headed towards the mech, one moment bashing it with it's shield and then immediately slashing at it with it's blade. "Hopefully that'll help even the odds...and by even the odds...I mean knock another one of these pirates off the grid."

Stella continued to watch out the window as Bianca had asked her about her own mech. Shaking her head, Stella said, "no, I don't think that I'd be much help out there." The girl was definitely worried, as their own mechs had been sustaining a good deal of damage. However, the sight of the dwindling banditos made her think that her decision was the right one to stay behind. That she didn't need to go out there. Even if she did go out there and pilot her mech and come to their aid, even if she could make it out there in time it wouldn't matter. The girl looked at her own shaking hand, trying to calm it, before looking back to the screen. "Things seem to be going our way though, right?" 

It wasn't a good time to be Bandito 2. He had managed to drag down Sammi's mech but the girl retaliated quickly after. With only his one harpoon holding onto the mech he wasn't able to control it enough to prevent from taking heavy fire.

Adding onto that that Kelsey, being in prime position to attack, also unloaded rounds into the Bandito's side and the mech clearly wasn't going to hold up for much longer.

In fact as Chase used his sword on it the mech couldn't take more damage and exploded right in front of him. The shielding that Chase's mech had been given wore off and, from such a close range, the mech itself took minor damage.

Kelsey, seeing the young man's white mech getting into close combat, had to force her shots upwards to avoid peppering him with bullets as the Bandito was destroyed. "Whoooa, cutting it a little close there aren't ya?"

The last remaining Bandito watched as Erica took off towards the floating orb. Without hesitation they decided to follow. Erica's mech would take fire from the front and back, her sword doing little to block the rain of bullets, and the shielding faded quickly. Leaving her armor exposed and under heavy fire.

She managed to reach the orb but, due to its position in the air, was unable to reach it with her sword and the Bandito, positioning itself behind her, fired a laser blast into her mech's back. Warning messages appeared to let her know that her mech was beginning to take serious damage.

And all the way back on the "tail" of the ship Julian was facing similar issues as he seemed unable to avoid the constant fire from the turret of the other orb.

Spoiler

Map

Bandito 2 is down and all that's left is Bandito 3, Orb 9, which are firing upon Erica
and Orb 8 which is firing upon Julian

Not much going on besides that but note that Erica, while heavier armor than Julian, has taken a lot more fire so far.

"What do you mean not much help? You're going to be a pilot too right?" Bianca asked with a look of confusion on her face.

"Things seem to be going our way though, right?" 

"Yeah, I guess so? It looks really sloppy though." The girl responded, shrugging her shoulders. "But I guess that's what can be expected."

"Don't be too hard on them, we're all first years after all." A male voice sounded. A handsome young man strolled up to the two and gave them a kind smile.

He moved next to Stella, looking over at the screen. "I think they're doing just fine." He said with a nod.

"They're lucky the bandits seem to be rather uncoordinated." Bianca muttered, turning away, looking more awkward now that the boy had joined the two.

Erica was not liking this at all and she was growing tired of this. They all seemed to be attacking her from the distance. It only left her one choice: She grabbed the sword with both hands and pulled on the handle to make it diagonal, into a blaster grip. This caused the blade to open and reveal the plasma nozzle and the guard to extend the sight, turning the sword into a plasma blaster. "<Now...>" She turned around as quick as possible and aimed at the enemy mech, while her boosters once more went off, shooting her towards the bandito at the same time as she pulled on the trigger of her plasma laser blaster, which she had aimed right onto the center of the mech. "Checkmate."

fccpSmd.png

Everything was going swimmingly. That was never a word Sammi managed to fully wrap her head around, but she got the idea of it at least. Only one bandito remained, which other students were already taking the initiative of finishing off. That just left some of those turret orbs. With her mech now free from the banditos harpooning it down, Sammi started up the rotors once again, her mech taking off from its sad grounded position as her pulse cannons charged up another pair of shots. Before taking off to help finish the job, her mech turned in its place, cannons pointed at the orb (#8) that was firing at one of her fellow students.

And then she pulled the trigger, cannons aimed and ready. The recoil from the shot, combined with Sammi turning on the front thrusters of her mech for a short moment, did an excellent job of propelling her backwards, getting across the length of the ship much faster than she would have otherwise gone.

Edited by Yui

Stella felt a bit awkward as Bianca had made a point that was all too true. "Yeah, I suppose I am," the girl simply muttered. As her companion n this endeavor made her next comment, Stella couldn't help but think that there was some merit to it. After all, they were just a disorganized bunch of people in mechs fighting an equally disorganized group. As she was about to make a comment, the two were interrupted by a boy who walked towards them. Looking to him, then back to the screen she said, "yeah, I guess we are all amateurs." Looking at the screen, the girl then just said, "but why do you think a group of bandits like this attacked a ship like this?" 

The last remaining Bandito mech was knocked back by the plasma blast that Erica suddenly shot at it. Neither the mech nor the orb stopped firing on her even as she attacked and warning lights inside her mech would start to go off. Much more damage and it was likely that the mech would be taking critical damage. However the Bandito mech wouldn't be able to do anything about Erica's mech slamming into it. The cheap mech's armor wasn't able to stand up to the blast followed by the hit and the pilot had to quickly eject to avoid being crushed inside of the machine.

On the other side of the ship the orb was slowly approaching Julian, causing massive damage upon the sniper's armor, until suddenly it was blasted out of the air by Sammi's weapon. The machine, clearly not meant to take much damage, dropped down below the ship and exploded.

The last orb, its pilot looking around at the wreckage of their companions, decided that enough was enough and it was time to get out of there. And so, the moment it ceased firing on Erica, the orb took off and retreated from the field.

There was a silence as the last of the bandits left until...

"Heeeelllllll yeeeeeeah!" Came Kelsey's shout from over their headsets. "We showed them! Three cheers for us! Hip hip hooray! Come on guys cheer with me!"

"Huh, that went...well." Bianca said.

"but why do you think a group of bandits like this attacked a ship like this?" 

"Who knows." Bianca waved Stella's concerns off. "They're bandits. It's what they do. Probably desperate for anything they can get."

"I'm sure they had a reason." The boy responded. "But does it really matter? Whatever they were after they didn't get it. That's the important part. Now come on, why don't we go welcome back the heroes of the day?" he smiled at the two girls.

Bianca crossed her arms and let out a "hmph." Then she turned away. "You go ahead. I don't see the point."

The boy leaned forward a bit and looked at Stella. "And you, miss?"

OOC

Spoiler

So yeah the fight has reached its end woo! Feel free to go back to the hanger and interact as you will. Note that Julian will be taken to be checked out in the med bay and the soldiers also are returning around the same time. Pretty soon we'll be advancing to landing on the planet and such.

Erica didn't join in the celebration. She screwed it up big time and it was only the fact she changed gears in her strategy that she was able to make it up to the end. She was pretty bummed by her errors and she seriously needed to think on her strategies in the future. She realized her problem soon: She was not prepared for multiple mechs or mechs that were both more advanced and had natural advantages over her own mech, such as flying. Her model was a hastily made refitting of a decommissioned series robot that was already in its last legs and she was a Robrawler trying to handle said mech the same way she does with nimbler and more human scaled artifacts. If whatever MechA was gonna prepare her was even slightly more advanced than these guys, she was toast. "I do not think so." Her voice sounded colder because of her own shame. "This was not war yet. We would had made it not had war been." She used her thrusters to wheel her damaged mech back to the hangar. '<That was such a pathetic showing of skills! Uncle Tenma would had scolded me harshly for being so reckless...>' She fought against the tear that was trying to form, if only because she didn't want to explain that once she was out of her mech, as she entered and docked it in, then unstrapped herself from the driving harness and descended from the mech.

Rosha

Rosha's initial attack was a success, cutting through one of the bandits in a matter of seconds with a hail of supersonic metal. The other, however, retreated near one of Rosha's allies, forcing her to call off her attack early. In a heartbeat, Rosha had thumbed the switch for the plasma launcher and took steady aim, waiting for an opening as the bandit danced around space, Rosha's finger hovering over the trigger.

"C'mon, stay still for just a second," Rosha grumbled as she tracked the target. Thankfully, the mech that the bandit was harassing managed to turn things around and riddled the criminal with a respectable amount of bullets. Rosha couldn't help but feel disappointment in not being the one to take them out, but felt relief that nobody was damaged more because of it.

Rosha diverted her attention to the rest of the fight, looking for more targets. However, it seemed that she was late enough to the game, as the rest of the bandits had either been scrapped or were fleeing. In fact, it wasn't long until the battle was over entirely, and even while a familiar voice announced their victory Rosha was still grumbling disappointment. However soon they could reach landfall and actually do things wasn't soon enough. Begrudgingly, Rosha steered her mech back towards the rear of the ship and initiated the docking sequence with a practiced familiarity. As soon as she could, she popped the machine's cockpit open and leaped out of the tall machine, bounding down its limbs as if she didn't weigh anything at all.

Stella was glad to see that the other students had managed to finish off the rest of the bandits. The girl was still curious about the bandits, but as the fight seemed to over and both of her talking companions didn't seem to think much of it, she simply nodded and said, "yeah, you're right." As the boy mentioned going to see the others, Stella simply looked at Bianca as she made her response with no comment, and then turned to the boy. Nodding, she said, "yeah, let's go." 

As the two began their walk, Stella looked to the boy. Knowing that he was a fellow student of the same grade as her, the girl felt it prudent to get introductions between the two out of the way. And as he was both cheery and an optimistic sort, she felt like he wouldn't be bad company to have around either. "By the way, I didn't catch your name earlier. Mine's Stella." 

Once introductions were out of the way, the duo eventually made it to the hangar. As the mech's were beginning to dock in the hangar, the girl looked to see her friend getting out of her mech as well. Waving an arm to her, the girl approached towards her and, in a quite level tone she said, "congratulations on your win out there." Her level tone, however, betrayed the actual excitement and relief she  had felt for seeing Kelsey come out of the encounter unscathed. 

fccpSmd.png

"Heeeelllllll yeeeeeeah! We showed them! Three cheers for us! Hip hip hooray! Come on guys cheer with me!"

"Hooray," chimed in Sammi's considerably less enthusiastic voice. Winning a simple scuffle where the enemy was outnumbered and outgunned didn't seem like much cause for celebration to her. However, a win was still a win, and now it was time to head back to base. Or ship, in this case. Sammi's mech flew along the length of the ship, turning as it neared the hangar and docking itself in a spot near the exit, as the robot girl stepped out and glanced around. That Julian boy was being taken to be looked at for injuries. Organics were so frail, she almost pitied them.

Almost.

She stood there, watching as the others docked and got out of their machines. There was one in particular she wanted to talk to...

hzxKAxh.png

Well, she did want to get into the fray, at least. But by the time she'd made it to the hangar, the door was shut and Vivian simply assumed the hangar doors for the mecha were also closed and locked, to keep any students from unexpectedly getting sucked out into the void of space and dying a horrible death. And so, rather than join the fight herself, Vivian was content to watch the others fight. What bandits wanted with a student ship was beyond her - maybe better mecha? - but at the end of the day, everyone was coming home. How wonderful!

...even if she would have preferred there not be a bandit attack in the first place.

Once the mecha were docked and the students started climbing out of them, Vivian took a look at the faces of the victors. Coming here was definitely the right idea! Among them, one girl had these big ears like some sort of canine. And she was so tiny! Unlike her mech; a big heavy-looking thing. It wasn't entirely unlike Vivian's own Bighand in that respect. Maybe they could get along? That would be nice. And so, Vivian made her way to the big red mech, waving at its pilot as she nimbly made her way down its limbs.

"Heeeey!" she called out. "Good job out there! I like your mech."

FrN9afL.jpg?1

iU8EggM.png

"Whoooa, cutting it a little close there aren't ya?"

"Sorry, but figured it wouldn't have been too bad if I did that." Chase chuckled, having the Bandito basically get knocked out of this fight now. Though it was like clockwork, that this Bandito was taken out and this battle was pretty much over now. With a satisfied smirk on his face, Chase let out a small sigh and directed Aegis Weiss back towards the ship's hangar.

Thankfully none of those pirates had mechs that weren't typical standard issue... he thought, initiating the docking sequence for his mecha. Yeah, if these things were actually AMAZING looking...jeez, I don't think I could possibly bring myself to do anything for those...especially since I want to get detailed notes about them. Chase emerged from the cockpit of his mech and made his way back down to the hangar floor, sighing greatly. Hmmm, perhaps I could make a manner of getting full detailed information via the Aegis Weiss in order to get new notices...that might be good.

"By the way, I didn't catch your name earlier. Mine's Stella." 

"Oh, sorry, suppose in all the excitement I forgot to say. I'm Arnold, it's a pleasure to meet you Stella." The boy responded before the two made their way to the hanger.

He watched as the pilots got out of their mechs and gave them all a friendly wave. "I must say that was rather impressive. Leaping into the fray like that. Takes a lot of courage to do something like that. I wanted to come down here to thank you all for dealing with those...ruffians, as you did. It's good to know that there are people like you going to class with me. Though I suppose it gives me a lot to live up to now."

---

The first thing Kelsey did, well, the first thing she did was stumble on her way down, missing one of the handholds. But once she made it to, for lack of better term, ground level she noticed Stella and ran for her.

"congratulations on your win out there."

Kelsey raised her hand up and moved it as though to give Stella's waving hand a high-five, but instead interlocked their fingers above the two girls' heads. "Thanks! It was pretty great wasn't it? Those guys had some really paper thin mechs didn't they? I didn't know how exciting it was to shoot those guns. It was awesome!" She turned around towards the rest, still holding onto Stella, and asked "What about you guys? That was my first time actually using that thing besides VR stuff. Feels so different don't it?"

Arnold, beside Stella, gave a amicably laugh. "Well, can't say she isn't energetic."

Kelsey narrowed her eyes. "Hey, who's this guy?" She whispered to Stella.

The mechanic girl who had made the announcement came from around a stack of spare parts. "Yes, good job, whatever, look I can't really fix up your machines if you're all crowding around my workspace." She didn't look directly at any of them as she said this. Instead her eyes were already scanning the various mechs and muttering fixes under her breath.

OOC

Spoiler

Mkay so I'll play it by ear for a bit but back to free interaction period for a while. If there's interactions or things you want your characters to do on the ship go ahead and each week I'll see how much people need/want to do and determine if we advance from that.

So basically go ahead and start any interactions or anything you want to investigate or such and we'll take it from there.

As Erica descended from the mech she began to eye the damage. She made mental notes to thank whoever raised the shields back then, while also looking at the damage itself. It wasn't looking really good on her eyes, but at least nothing really broke the plasma generator's chamber. She, of course, had one of the most damaged mechs, so it was still a loss in her book. She was angry with herself, but she held it. She didn't want to be seen as unable to handle her emotions, as that would be another trouble. She looked at them. "I think the force of the shield must get the victory. Where is they?"

Edited by ZetaRESP

zK42sgC.png?1

After the battle had reached its conclusion, Xa'tok was the last of the group to emerge from his Mecha. Instead he had remained inside the cockpit after re-entering the hangar, meditating on the combat and communing with the spirits around him. He would have preferred to have some piece of something taken from his foes to burn along with incense so that he might gain further insight into them, but such were the issues of combat in the void from which one's foes fled. It would not have served him well to be seen chasing down fleeing opponents to cut open their cockpits and claim trophies from them. That would likely have been unnecessarily disturbing for his compatriots from cultures which placed less importance upon the mystical.

So it was that, several long minutes after the others had disembarked from their machines, that the cockpit of Eats-the-Stars opened up and the Chapayan emerged into the Hangar. A few moments later, and he was making his way out of the place. While the others were content to stay there and get in the way of the maintenance crew, he intended to get himself out and find something else to occupy himself with. Perhaps he could find someone who would be willing to better describe the world that they were going to. He had never spent much time in a planetary gravity well, much less on one's surface, and he wanted to prepare himself as much as possible.

"I wonder what the air will be like..." he mused to himself as he began walking out. He had been told that was one of the biggest distinctions between life aboard a starship and on a planet. It would be quite the thing to experience firsthand.

As Kelsey raised her hand for a high five, Stella met in kind, and didn't seem to pay any mind as she joined hands with the girl. Stella then felt a bit awkward about how she raved about how amazing the feeling of fighting outside was, obviously not able to share in her enthusiasm but just managed to say a, "well, you definitely looked great out there." As Kelsey turned towards the others, Stella didn't really say much, but leaned back in towards her friend as she whispered towards her. Shrugging, she whispered back, "don't know. His name's Arnold." Standing back more straight, the girl then looked to the rest of the pilots. 

As one of them spoke up, taking a bit to parse what she had actually said, Stella looked back to Kelsey. "Force shield?" As the older woman had also come to repair the mechs as well, Stella began to walk away saying, "yeah, we should probably leave n- " she stopped abruptly, however, as she had inadvertently tugged Kelsey's arm along with her. Looking down, seeing the two interlocked hands, the girl's face briefly went flush as she tried to figure out how long they had actually been stuck like that...in front of everyone. Darting her eyes away from her friend, Stella continued to try and drag her along, unable to actually free her now squirming hand. "So um," the girl started, "how uh...how was it out there?" 

Rosha

"Heeeey! Good job out there! I like your mech!" Rosha turned to the source of the voice. They looked to be another student, though it was hard to judge human age by appearance. At first Rosha thought it was just the short ones that were the young ones, but then some of the short ones end up being quite old so it was very hard to tell. While the compliment was appreciated, even Rosha couldn't deny that she was late to the party and wasn't able to accomplish much.

"Thank you for the compliment, however I can't take much credit," She said with a sigh. "I'm not used to walking around these... space ships. Especially when they're rocking around because of all the gunfire and nonsense. I tried to get there as fast as I could, but I only caught the tail end." Rosha then turned to her mech and planted her hands on her hips. "I CAN take credit for this beaut, however! You're looking at the Mourning Star! One of the first mechs designed with help from my people! It's a real powerhouse, and once I get better I'm sure to take the battlefield by storm with it!"

fccpSmd.png

Waiting, waiting, waiting... Where was this guy? Sammi sat on the side of her mech, watching that weird one for the moment its cockpit opened. And then it did! The guy inside hopped out, and made straight for exiting the hangar. That was her target, and she wasn't about to let him get away that easily. Sammi got down from her own mech, skirting past the crowds of students who were content to just dawdle around in the hangar, and followed the person of interest out. There were some questions she had for him, and right now the weird build of his mech's hand was the least of her concerns.

Sammi glanced up and down the boy. Identifying features... hmm. Whatever race you are, you're not in my database. Not sure if that's a hole in the data or if KOWA really has never seen your kind before. Let's patch that hole up later.

Before she asked about this boy's race though, there was the ever-more-important issue. "Hey, you," she called out, not far behind him. "Would you mind explaining what that weird shield was you put over everyone's mecha out there?"

hzxKAxh.png

"Thank you for the compliment, however I can't take much credit, I'm not used to walking around these... space ships. Especially when they're rocking around because of all the gunfire and nonsense. I tried to get there as fast as I could, but I only caught the tail end."

"Oh, don't worry. I'm not all that used to spaceships myself either." In fact, until leaving Colia, Vivian had never even set foot in a spaceship. Her first interplanetary 0flight was... an experience. She did get to meet a diplomat who had been visiting Colia though! That was a fun anecdote, but it would probably be rude to go off on a tangent about herself just like that.

"I CAN take credit for this beaut, however! You're looking at the Mourning Star! One of the first mechs designed with help from my people! It's a real powerhouse, and once I get better I'm sure to take the battlefield by storm with it!"

"Ohhhhhhh! That's super-cool!" Although... was that name spelt with or without a 'u' in it? And it was designed by her people? Like her race or something more specific? Vivian wanted to know more. Pointing over to her own mech, Vivian commented "Mine's just a standard military mech where I come from, and even then, it's not a very popular one. The name is pretty plain too. What people designed your Mourning Star if you don't mind my asking? Are mechs not very common where you're from?"

Oh! She'd almost forgotten the most important part!

"I'm Vivian, by the way. Vivian Marsh."

Arnold, Arnold, Arnold? That was such a boring name, Kelsey decided. "Alright, good to meet you Arnie, I guess. Suppose I'll get to see how you handle yourself out there eventually if we're gonna be going to school together."

Arnold gave a nervous laugh. "Well, I wouldn't expect too much. I'm not that good truth being told." He gazed around at the group. "I don't know how you all handled yourselves so well out there."

Kelsey shrugged, "Suppose I'm just a natural or something." She glanced back at the girl who had spoken about force shields, then at Stella. "Yeah I don't know what kinda shields she means. I don't really remember anything weird."

"how uh...how was it out there?" 

"Ooooh it was crazy! It takes forever to walk across the ship but with a mech just....zooom and you're there, you know? And I guess there was a lotta explosions and stuff. That was pretty wild too." She snapped her fingers and pointed at Chase. "I almost blew that guy up though." She waved with her free hand as Stella half-dragged her away. "Sorry about that by the way!" She called out as they left the hanger.

Arnold looked around once more at the group and smiled. "Seems this is going to be a good year." He stated to no one in particular.

The mechanic started to tap her foot rapidly as she watched those who haven't left yet. "I want to get the repairs done so I can get back to my work." She stated bluntly. Then, muttering to herself once more, she began to grumble, "they can talk wherever why do they have to talk here. Is this how kids always are? This year is going to be such a pain." She then went of towards the mech that was the farthest from the rest and began to scan the damage.

Spoiler

Make sure to let me know how much more time you want to do stuff before moving on.

Dragging her friend along, Stella continued to listen to Kelsey as she recounted her adventures in space and combat. The girl had a brief smile on her face, though due to being ahead of her Kelsey wouldn't see it, though this didn't last long. As the girl's brief smile faded, she then looked shocked at Kelsey recounted how she almost blew up another student. Looking back to her, a stern expression on her face, the girl chided, "Kellz, what have I told you about paying attention. Especially when it comes to friendly fire."

Stella had hoped some of her habits from gaming wouldn't translate over to actual mech combat, but such things seemed to die hard. Shaking her finger she said, "and you almost fell off the ship too. Honestly," putting her hand down and letting out a sigh, Stella kept walking ahead. After a few moments had passed, more subdued the girl, "but...glad things worked out for you out there." 

Time passed. It's what time did. Passed. And so that is what happened. Time moved on and, in that time, the people living in the past were pushed into the future, which was then known as the present, whether they wanted to be or not. Time stopped for no man. Nor woman. It doesn't discriminate.

And so it was that a vague amount of hours later that the ship made its way into the atmosphere of the planet that would be their home for now.

The Finback was much too large a vessel for normal landing procedures. And so the students would be put onto a smaller ship to make the decent to the school's private hanger. The Finback would be housed elsewhere and their mechs delivered to an underground bunker beneath the school.

There was but one problem.

The pilot has seemed to vanish. As it turned out a young boy, a new student, had visited the captain at some point and they had taken that chance to go off somewhere, leaving the inexperienced boy to try and pilot the large ship. Hence the rocky voyage through the asteroids.

Finally they pilot was found, having fallen asleep in one of the beds for the students, and they were able to make their way down to the surface.

As soon as they landed they were greeted by a large group of upperclassmen, with signs welcoming them, and congratulating them on not crashing. Evidently the last three years the ship had crashed into a building on its way down due to not being able to find the pilot.

At the front of the group was a tall and stern looking woman.   

She introduced herself as the Vice Principal of MechA Cademy, Emilia Reichen. With a sharp and commanding voice she told the new students to follow her to the auditorium. Then led them into the castle-like building that was the school.

The auditorium was large, likely much larger than necessary, with rows upon rows of chairs. Emilia directed everyone to sit as close to the front middle as they could and moved onto the stage. The chairs themselves were surprisingly comfortable and covered in what looked like a shag carpet cover.

"Welcome, new students, to MechA Cademy. The finest school for mech training in the galaxy. I want you all to know that I expect the best from each and every one of you. We are the defenders of the galaxy and must always remember the weight that becoming a mech pilot has to it." She then smacked the podium she stood behind and her voice grew sharper and louder. "If any of you think for a moment you can slack off then you better leave right now. Because I can assure you that I will be evaluating you all at all times. All. Times." She gazed across the students for a while before nodding.

"That being said I have brought a few of your upperclassmen here today to meet with you. They are the heads of the three Houses of the school. Houses are an optional group that you may attempt to join to help get through your school days. I suggest you put serious thought into whether or not you wish to join them."

She stepped to the side and gestured to a trio that had been standing in the background.

The first to step up was a girl wearing a jumpsuit with various pieces of military equipment attached.

"My name is Kris Ward. Head of the Steel Hounds House. If you join my house you can expect to be worked hard in practice. We don't accept slackers. I intend to help every student that joins my house learn tactics and skills that will be necessary on the battlefield." She gave a short bow and stepped to the side.

The next to approach was a boy with oddly mystical looking garb. "

Yo, I'm Merlin." he said, then gave a charming smile. "Not my real name but it's what everyone calls me. I lead the Sun Lizards and my goal....I suppose it's knowledge. Not just book learning but knowledge of people. I guess you could say we're a social group. If you want to be in with all the trends and gossip you should come around and join up." He waved and winked at the crowd before stepping back.

The third was much different than the rest. For they were a large, rounded, robot.

"I am called Biofriendly Operational Mechanized Buddy. Or B.O.M.B. I am the head of House Bomb. We at House Bomb like to have fun. Personally speaking the most fun to be had is when working with explosives! But that's not all we do. If you want to have a fun and exciting school life be sure to join. We are all friends at House Bomb and we welcome all kinds!" The lights making up what was likely the robot's eyes formed into a pair of carets before he moved back into his previous position.

Emilia stepped back to the podium and cleared her throat. "With that out of the way I'd like to introduce the principal. Former Admiral in the royal army and..." She sighed before saying the next part, "winner of Best Facial Hair in Cosmo Magazine five times running, Horace Walton."

Even those living on the fringes had heard of Horace "Metal Crusher" Walton. Said to have the highest personal mech kill count of anyone in the military to date he was a feared warrior who commanded from the front lines. Even his allies were said to be intimidated by his mere presence.

And he came from underneath the stage to an explosion of flowers and confetti.

"Hellooooooooooooo students!" He said, flashing them all a large grin and finger gunning his way towards the podium. "As young Emilia has said I am your principal. I hope to see you all grow into fantastic pilots in your time here...but I'm not here to bore you. You've got plenty of time to get serious when classes start. I'd like you all to stand up. This is your first day here so for now...it's time to party!" He pointed up at the ceiling and the lights dimmed.

A giant disco ball lowered and cast flashing lights through the auditorium. As the students stood the chairs began to lower into the ground to make more space and out of seemingly nowhere people dressed in tuxes began to walk around with drinks and food to distribute among the students.

And music began to play.

As soon as the news of the pilot reached her ears due to gossip, Erica could only sigh '<At least the confusion of others helped to ease some of my fears.>'  She remained in her room in the last hours of the trip to the planet, accustomed already to the incenses of her partner, Xa'tok. Still, the pressing issue that plagued her since that time... '<Am I... ready for this?>' She sighed heavily, as she was clearly overthinking stuff. She listened to the advice to board the landing vessels and simply took her rather small luggage and went to the vessel. She thought her kimono, her pilot suit and some other stuff would help. Of course, she was clad in the uniform of her former school, as she was certain she didn't got the one for the Cademy. "Iku wa yo..." With that determination, she went to the landing vessel.

The first thing Eriica noticed when they landed was the congratulation on not crashing. Of course, it was somewhat hard to read the casual language, even though she had enough time to try and read and practice her standard language. She still had some issues and some leftovers of Asarian language in her speech, but she could still get what was said. "Congratulations for... nani?!" This last part was Asarian, but it was clear by her face that she was pretty flabbergasted. '<Does this mean that they expected the ship to crash?>' She kept the question to herself as soon as the stern looking woman came and called all the students to follow her up, introducing herself as the Vice-Principal of the Cademy. It quickly reminded her she was here for something and she needed to get into it. She was sent to the academy to learn tactics and the ways of the war. Her country had become pacific after the Kuma Ring War several years ago, but the rumors of an enemy beyond the system put the whole ring in alert. Asari needed to get back in the machine of war for the sake of the entire system and she was granted the chance to be part of that machine, an important piece even. She needed to step up her game. And with that in mind, she went forward, admiring the place she was going to live in for the time being. It was intimidating a bit, which didn't help with her inner fear, but she refused to show it.

Erica was accustomed to drills, but the Vice-Principal was really stern, in a way that only the oldest on the Asarian military were. It did keep her attention on the matter in front of her, specially after the smack. '<So this is the true elite of the galaxy...>' Asari had lost the ways of war mainly due to how they ended after the Kuma Ring War. Erica herself had never even seen a war mecha until she got given the Diyulong and started modifying it with the help of the war engineers. It did give her a bit of fear. Then came the houses, which reminded her than, after all, it was still a school.

First came Kris and she looked as the kind of people that should be in the military and, for the way she spoke, her house was pretty much militaristic in its way of going. Erica paid special attention to her speech as she considered getting into that house. After all, tactics is probably the part she lacks the most and she will need to learn from the best if she wants to actually do what she was entrusted to.

Merlin reminded her of some guy she met in the Grand Asarian Library. The guy wasn't into robots, but more into general science and knowledge. He was complicated, while Merlin seemed more straightforward. Still, not her cup of tea.

She was surprised that a robot was a student in here... mostly because she didn't think a robot needed study. She was surprised also that there was a house for explosives, but it made sense: Tactics, Investigation and Demolition are the three gross specializations a pilot could have. And that actually got her in a bit of a pain: She came for tactics, but demolition sounded closer to what she was doing in her battles...

She shook that off when the last name was announced. As a Roborawrer herself, she knew the name of the "Metal Crusher". Everyone in the Kuma Ring with any connection to robots heard about him. '<I guess if anyone had to be the principal here, it had to be him...>' She was surprised by his demeanor and his lax... but she was not gonna take him lightly if he was the principal. As soon as the dance floor came into action, much to her surprise, she found herself a bit... out of her element. She was not a dancing girl. At all. At least, not on party music. She preferred slow dances... maybe with someone she could share her feelings... She shook herself off and accepted one of the drinks of the waiters while tried to scan with her eyes the place, trying to move from the center of the dance floor. She tried to approach the house heads, as she felt about talking with miss Ward.

zK42sgC.png?1

"Hey you!" Xa'Tok heard a voice call to him as he was making his way out of the hangar aboard the Finback, and he stopped. Turning about to see who it was, his gaze fell upon the strange girl from earlier, the one in the flying mech he thought, who the spirits seemed to be unaware of. Or at least less aware of than the others. There was something about this one that he would have to discover. "Would you mind explaining that weird shield you put over everyone's mecha out there?" And apparently unaware of the spirits as well. That was somewhat less surprising than the previous realization. Most of those outside of the tribes had little awareness of the mystical aspects of the universe. In fact, most of those who were not shamans seemed to have little understanding. Well, that being the case, he would explain things as simply as he could.

"The 'shield' as you called it," he began in a calm, instructing tone, "was the result of the Spirits of the Void answering my call to assist us. It is something that I can do: speak to the spirits in the universe around me and request their assistance. The," he paused as he considered the appropriate word to use, "claw upon Zu'ul-pa-tok, my Mech, acts as a conductor for this assistance, amplifying it to produce yet stronger effects." That was as simply as he could put it, and he hoped that answer would be satisfactory. It was all that he had enough time for at this moment. He had some pressing business to attend to: namely burning the appropriate offerings for the spirits in order to thank them for their help.

Some time later, he felt an unfamiliar lurch as the ship entered the gravity well of the planet that the Academy was located on. He found it difficult to qualify, but something about the gravity felt different from that aboard the ships and stations that he had spent his life on. Even those in orbit around other planets had always been far enough out that he had not been able to feel the pull of the body beneath. There was the intensity, obviously, which seemed to be atleast somewhat greater than the Chapaayan vessels, but there was more than that. He would have to spend some time in consideration over this, and share his realizations with the rest of the Tribe when he returned home. For now, he chalked it up as just one more peculiarity of the outside world.

He ultimately thought the same of many things that he experienced on this day. The peculiar greeting congratulating them and the ship on not crashing, something he thought was simple well-wishing until he learned that the ship had crashed on this same errand in years prior. The way that the Vice Principal and head of House Steel Hounds were dressed. The mechanical creature that was the head of House Bomb, and the strange way in which the nigh-legendary Warrior who headed the school entered the room, and the music that followed. This was all strange and foreign to him, and perhaps the worst of all was the reception he received from the spirits. Those around the Academy were wary of him, and obviously sizing him up as he stood in place without much certainty of what to do or desire to join in with the "party" at the moment. This wariness was shared by him, and not just about the spirits. He knew that he should, his entire purpose here was to become a leader and to learn of the universe outside to bring information back to his tribe, but he was too occupied with how strange all of this was. The Shaman simply did not know what to think of this, and he knew the spirits felt the same of him.

fccpSmd.png

"The 'shield' as you called it was the result of the Spirits of the Void answering my call to assist us. It is something that I can do: speak to the spirits in the universe around me and request their assistance. The... claw upon Zu'ul-pa-tok, my Mech, acts as a conductor for this assistance, amplifying it to produce yet stronger effects."

Uh-huh. Congratulations. You've left me with more questions than I had before, and no answers.It couldn't just be as simple as space voodoo. There must have been more to it. But the boy was already taking off. She'd have to do some research on these spirits just to be thorough. Independant research. If she asked him directly, he might think she was interested in converting to some weird cult, and she wasn't exactly ready to be sacrificed for some kooky ritual just yet. There were experiments to run, research to be done, and science to do. And more importantly, a landing to prepare for. She had to pack what few things she had, and get ready to make the proper first impression on the school.

Hours later, and the Finback was landing... kind of. The ship - due to its size - had to plop the students together into a different smaller vessel, which they'd then land on, while the mechs would be put somewhere from the bigger ship. The revelation about the pilot though, made her question just what sort of half-rate staff this place hired. For the greatest academy for meatbags to learn how to pilot mechs, their employee choices sure seemed lackluster! The facility itself, however, was impressive. Maybe she was just used to the ruins back on Kavra and the humbler architecture at her various stops along the way here, but the construction here was really something. She had to give props to the architects responsible for it.

The vice principal was about what she'd expected, given that this place was meant to rear up the next generation of some of the finest soldiers in the galaxy. The auditorium was also rather impressive. One by one, the house heads stepped up to introduce themselves. Another stern military type was up first. No thanks. Then a pretty boy type who said he was interested in gossip, but it sounded more like he was into idle chit-chat. Not up her alley. And then...

A robot!?

Something was fishy. The robot - his name was BOMB - talked about how his house was all about having fun. He was a bit too chipper for Sammi's liking, if she was being totally honest. But out of all three of these houses, his was the one she was most interested in. Not because of the goals, but because of its head. Another robot's presence in this school raised so many questions in Sammi's head all at once, and she wanted to ask them all right then and there, but she couldn't. She had to play cool and not blow her cover. Besides, the presentation wasn't done just yet. The principal still had to make his own introduction.

Horace "Metal Crusher" Walton.

The nickname didn't exactly make Sammi feel at ease around him. She'd heard his name here and there on her way to this school, but there was no mention of him in KOWA's records. Which... made sense. Unless Horace was some immortal superhuman freak, he wouldn't be someone in the records. She didn't quite catch what Horace was saying. Sammi was too busy trying to figure out what BOMB's story was, and why he was here. Suddenly, there was music, and a disco ball, and the chairs were gone and there were guys with drinks! Was this some sort of opening day party?

There would be time for festivities in just a moment. Right now, Sammi had more important priorities. Being optional, Sammi had no intentions of joining a house at first, but some things had changed in the short time between then and now. She climbed up onto the stage, and made directly for the house heads. More specifically, BOMB. "I would like to join House Bomb," she stated. Hopefully I don't regret this decision later.

hzxKAxh.png

Despite some hitches in the process of landing the ship, everything had gone just fine! The ship didn't crash, which according to the upperclassmen, was the first time in a few years it hadn't done that. Vivian also felt the need to congratulate the ship's crew on the first crash-free landing in years, but there wasn't really time to go over and do that. Because it wasn't long before they were met with the vice principal, Emilia Reichen. This was the first impression that truly reminded Vivian why she was here. Her posture was upright and firm, like a proper soldier, but it was clear she was having a great time, excited simply to be at such an impressive and famous school to start her compulsory service! She followed the other students, ooh-ing and aah-ing at the impressive building as she glanced around at her surroundings, and the sentiment became vocal when she first stepped into the auditorium.

Now this was an auditorium! Everything just felt so big here! Though that may have been because she was used to the more compact buildings and streets on Colia. Despite the amazingly huge amount of space available though, Ms. Reichen insisted that everyone sit at the front, near the middle. And then, she reminded everyone why they were here. And, additionally, she introduced the heads of each house. The Steel Hounds were all about tactics and hard work. How military-like! But, why join them when she could take it easy instead? The Sun Lizards were more social sorts. That sounded like her kind of house! What was the point being here if she didn't make friends along the way, after all? House Bomb - although being all about fun - didn't seem as fun to her as the Sun Lizards. However, she was also told to give it serious consideration if she wanted to join a house or not. She didn't have to sign up right now anyway. If she wanted to join the Sun Lizards, she could do that later.

And then, he made his entrance. Horace Walton. A legendary soldier, outstanding beard-keeper who she knew her father tried to copy the style of, and overall someone Vivian would do well to look up to while she was here. He certainly didn't carry himself like the amazing warrior she'd heard he was, though, let alone enter like one. But that was fine. He then - rather showy-like - announced that it was time to party. Mingling! Drinks! Food! Music! All that good party stuff.

Which was just fine by her. Vivian needed something light to eat right about now; she was feeling a bit of motion sickness from the ship landing. Like some crackers. Those would do just fine. She picked up a few, and looked around at the other students. There was that girl she'd met earlier - Vivian couldn't quite recall if she'd introduced herself right now - and some others. Eenie, meenie, miney... you! A girl with what seemed to be a mechanical leg. As much as she knew that it was probably just a regular old prosthetic, Vivian couldn't help but get the mental image of a cool cyborg.

That'd be neat.

Vivian walked up to the girl, waving a hand for her attention. "Hey there. This place is huge, right!?" By her own admittance, Vivian just kind of blurted out the first thing that came to mind. But she really couldn't get over how big this room was, let alone the school it was part of.

FrN9afL.jpg?1

iU8EggM.png

"Hellooooooooooooo students! As young Emilia has said I am your principal. I hope to see you all grow into fantastic pilots in your time here...but I'm not here to bore you. You've got plenty of time to get serious when classes start. I'd like you all to stand up. This is your first day here so for now...it's time to party!"

Chase had to admit, this academy sure knew how to make students feel welcome...as well as throw a good party. And to actually see the "Metal Crusher" here? And that he was the principal?! Chase assumed that was a simple rumor, but looks like that was one rumor that was proven true.

Well, guess it would be rude for me not to enjoy this party. Heh, after all, it's obvious he went through all the trouble for it. he thought, moving slightly to grab some punch. Chase mingled as much as he could, drinking his punch. Of course, he could've gone and mingled with those he was on the ship with...but he figured he'd see more of them anyway.

What he was interested in more, were the three houses: Steel-Hounds, Sun Lizards, and Bomb. From just the descriptions, it seemed like the were the tactics, information, and explosive/fire power classifications for the houses. However...now he was in a dilemma. Would he join Steel-Hounds or Sun Lizards? Bomb was right out for him from the getgo...but between the hounds and lizards...now things were getting difficult.

However, Chase had an epiphany as he took another swig of his drink. Information...hmmm...that might also help me learn about more mechs! ...well, guess if that's the case, I'm going for the Sun Lizards. With a smirk on his face, he finished his drink, fixed himself up and made his way to find Merlin to join the Sun Lizards.