Thar

Google Stadia - Google's new stream-based gaming service

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-stadia-gaming-at-gdc-2019-everything-just-announced/

So this is a thing. No price yet, but I'm certainly not surprised they're jumping on the "instant access" bandwagon.

also pretty ballsy of them to say their new game development division will rival Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo right out of the gate

Edited by Thar

This biggest issue here is data caps. For a lot of people trying to use this is likely to max them out so this could be a lot more limited than google would likely. could also result in data caps dying which would be a good thing.

Not sure how this would compare to Sony and Nintendo, but this could easily make for a decent rival to the next Xbox in particular. I believe one of Microsoft's next "consoles" is meant to include the potential for a streaming service. While I'm not entirely on board with the idea of potentially phasing out consoles, this does make for a good niche on Google's part, and as Flame said, could result in data caps dying, and I'd be more okay with losing those compared to the potential of losing physical consoles.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, Phantom Roxas said:

I'd be more okay with losing those compared to the potential of losing physical consoles.

just wondering, what do you think would be the pros, cons, and overall effects of losing physical consoles and having the PC market take over?

On 3/27/2019 at 1:35 PM, cr47t said:

just wondering, what do you think would be the pros, cons, and overall effects of losing physical consoles and having the PC market take over?

Hmm. Wasn't thinking of PC's, so much as streaming services. In the case of PC's, I would say that a pro would be that you would (ideally) not be tied down to a specific branding. Though I do say that as someone who has been loyal to Nintendo since the N64, gradually growing more and more cynical about Sony, and simply never purchased an Xbox. In the case of Microsoft, while a lot of it is based on rumors, I'm at least curious about the concept of Xbox Live on Nintendo Switch, so in that case, the market is still there, just narrowed down a bit.

As for cons… well, I'm not quite sure how to explain my experience with PC gaming? I've played my fair share, but I've never held the "PC master race" mindset. However, I do think that the PC market taking over could be inevitable, and it's more of a question of how long until that happens. My main concern is what the gaming industry would share with the film industry, with far too many companies merging to chase the Netflix zeitgeist. Those streaming services, no matter how much we may enjoy them, will always be ephemeral. I would prefer that once I have a game, or movie, or whatever, it's mine for as long as I wish to have it, not for as long as some company feels inclined to keep it on their streaming service, or for as long as that streaming service is active. That's not owning a movie, that's just constantly renting that movie from Blockbuster over and over until Blockbuster went under.

It honestly looks super dope, my own personal issue would be my poor internet. If I were to get better internet and use it, I'd definitely opt for Stadia Base. 1080p, 60fps, stereo sound is enough for me and it would mean no monthly subscription fee.

Edited by Shradow