Sign in to follow this  
Summer Darj

World Legacy Awakens

1RfGH3B.png
World Legacy Awakens
Normal Trap
 Immediately after this effect resolves, Link Summon 1 Link Monster using monster(s) you control as material. You can only activate 1 "World Legacy Awakens" per turn.

I have yet to spot any topping deck that takes advantage of this, but I still believe it has potential as an splashable disruptive card since Miko Ib was revealed. It may not be as potent as Denglong + 9 Pillars, but Miko Ib can grab this in an opening turn instead of, let's say, Succession, and Set it to disrupt the opponent during its turn with a Link monster that has a stun effect or an on-Summon removal. Knightmares come to mind, which are quite splashable on their own.

Thoughts?

I think we need Link Monsters with a bit more of a disruption effect in order to make good use of it. Even if it can be searched out, a quick Unicorn like this is jumping through hoops a little bit, and you'll wanna use Knightmares normally a lot of the time before setting this up, to not that much of a lower payoff.

Not to mention searching for this eliminates a surprise element so arguably it could end up being better to use it when you happen to draw into it, which in turn is unreliable.
I think the concept is good but the card doesn't do enough. Maybe it should end up with a draw, a removal, or be a Quick-Play Spell, or all the above...

Do other mechanics have similar support? I can think of Flash Fusion and Super Poly for Fusions, Formula Synchron and the like for Synchros, and Wonder Xyz for Xyzs. They have stuff like Exciton Knight or the Black Rose Dragons for disruptions, and it still doesn't seem to hit the spot.

Synchros also have Needlefiber-into-Accel Tuner (e.g. Formula, Wonder Magician, Riser Dragon), and I do have seen some neat plays of going into Black Rose, Savage Dragon, etc. from there, but we don't get to see that in TCG because, well, Needlefiber has not been imported yet.

A notable difference between this card and Super Poly, Flash Fusion, Wonder Xyz, etc. is that it's searchable by a generic Level 5 Synchro. The aforementioned cards are searchable through other means, such as Fusion Spell searchers and Generation Force, but most don't reside in the Extra Deck like Ib does, or in the case of Chimera Rafflesia, they take an extra turn to go off. Furthermore, Links have the advantage of being more generic than the other ED monsters, and thus it is less situational to go into a Link than a Fusion, Synchro or Xyz.

I don't think the lack of surprise element is that detrimental. In fact, it may even lead to bait and mind games since now the opponent knows you can just Link Summon whatever monster it tries to remove from your board. Also, current topping decks are based on opening with backrow searches like the Salamangreat Rage/Roar and Fog Blades, and the opponent knowing about them barely makes them less oppressive. If you don't draw into outs to them, you got no choice but to bait and be more careful with your plays.