Sign in to follow this  
Summer Darj

Swallowstorm - Spell/Trap clog + Battlestorm support

9Fs6wsk.png
Swallowstorm
Normal Trap
If your opponent controls 3 or more Spell/Traps, you can activate this card from your hand. Return all Spell/Traps your opponent controls to the hand, then Set as many Spell/Traps from your Deck to your opponent's field as possible, and banish them if they would be added to the hand. During your opponent's second End Phase after this card's activation, shuffle those cards into the Deck. You can banish this card from your GY, then activate 1 of these effects. You can only use this effect of "Swallowstorm" once per turn.
• Special Summon 1 "Battlestorm" from your hand, Deck or GY.
• Take 1 "Swallow's Nest" from your Deck or GY, and either activate it or add it to your hand.

First effect is intended to work as an indirect Spell/Trap stunner by clogging the opponent's Spell/Traps that ideally will be dead for it, forcing it to wait the 2 turns or spend backrow removal on your cards, but with enough floaty techs you can take advantage of that too, or destroy them yourself to trigger them. Notably, most Harpie Spell/Traps float in this way. The "banish if they would be added to the hand" is to prevent abuse by bouncing the Spell/Traps into your hand.
Second effect is to tie it to Battlestorm and the Spell is it featured, Swallow's Nest, to both add some flavor to the card and support that pair of cards.

Thoughts?

Edited by Darj

It's a bit situational on requiring 3+ backrow. You could against something like Pendulums, especially if they are a theme that requires a Field Spell, but really it depends on the opponent. I do like how it can undo their setup for something, although that is an even smaller percentage of opponents since you might end up recycling stuff like Tenki or Light Stage for them.

Once the effect goes off, it can potentially clog but it probably doesn't clog enough, and you'd be at best giving the opponent your staples that they can't use, like Guardragon Support against a HERO player for example. Otherwise you'd be maining bad cards on purpose. It doesn't sound like it's worth the effort even if we went for the 3rd possibility: Cards designed to be used from the opponent's side such as Gift of Greed (+ Bait Doll) or Dark Coffin (+ any removal since it still triggers in your GY). This sounds like you'd be dead-drawing cards more often than not for the sake of such a casual theme.

- - -

I like the GY effect though. It makes 2 cards searchable enough. Your relieable options are Foolish Burial Goods and Lilith. Your semi-good options are Magical Hats. Your worst options are probably Trap Trick and your card itself, as they either banish what you want in the GY for the sake of less but quicker options, or give your opponent the power to do the same stuff to you, further requiring options to make up for such a choice.

It makes Swallow's Nest a little more consistent although not more convenient necessarily, and Battlestorm is a cute one-time extender at best.

- - - 

All in all, I like the concept but it's very hard to implement.
I think the GY effect could afford to do "one or both effects."
The field effect would be better off destroying the backrow after the 2 turns so it could combo with backrow that wants to be destroyed (2 turns is wait enough). It's not the easiest of cards to go off though so I'd rather it became easier to use. Maybe you could do "up to 3" and search that many cards to set in their place. Smaller reach, smaller reward, still live enough for main decking IMO.

28 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

It's a bit situational on requiring 3+ backrow. You could against something like Pendulums, especially if they are a theme that requires a Field Spell, but really it depends on the opponent. I do like how it can undo their setup for something, although that is an even smaller percentage of opponents since you might end up recycling stuff like Tenki or Light Stage for them.

You can still Set it and wait for the next turn as a Normal Trap. And yeah, it can reuse Tenkis and the like but after the 2 turns or if either player makes space for them, and if their hand becomes too big they will have to discard by mechanics. I'm considering destroying the backrow instead.

30 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

The field effect would be better off destroying the backrow after the 2 turns so it could combo with backrow that wants to be destroyed (2 turns is wait enough). It's not the easiest of cards to go off though so I'd rather it became easier to use. Maybe you could do "up to 3" and search that many cards to set in their place. Smaller reach, smaller reward, still live enough for main decking IMO.

Not really into destroying the new backrow because if you load the field with floaty cards then it becomes up to a +1 for each and unlike Future Fusion and other turn-timed cards, once this resolves the opponent can't barely do anything about the destruction of the backrow, well they can spin, bounce or banish the cards.
Meanwhile, setting less cards messes with the intention because the idea is to clog the opponent from Spell/Trap Zones if you main enough cards that it cannot play.