Zamazenta the OS-Tan Fan

WARNING: Your Discord DATA IS BEING SCRAPED AND SOLED FOR MONEY!

Posted (edited)

Yes now this is one of the biggest reasons why I will never use Discord because not only Discord but Data Scrappers are selling your DATA to someone who wants it this also includes your Private Discord Messages that is a yeah this is why I much prefer Open Source Platforms that are not evilly proprietary in nature such as Google Chrome and Discord lol laugh at me all you want but I don't care I'm right they are selling your Face, Voice, your messages in both rooms and DM Discord is not Private repeat with me Discord is not Private they are only in it for the money they are not not friend despite them making hilariously bad messages and trying to be your friend in a cooperate way.

COME ON! Let's not pretend that Discord is flawless or prefect or anything I see anything that is popular and mainstream as a bane to my existence I will let the video do all the talking a couple of years ago I was not as Tech Savvy as I once was compared to toady where now I make better decisions and I use more FOSS Programs everyday with each passing day the more and more FOSS I become Steam though nothing beats that out and Valve is a pretty alright company in my books they are chill and pretty laxed compared to Opera with their Opera GX Bullshit that poisons the web and they shrill it like crazy, Amazon, Google, Twitter, Microsoft, Facebook, etc, but they even helped Linux even despite me still being on Windows 10 as I'm righting this but one day I will buy my own Computer and run a Linux Distro that I like on it just not Linux Mint  cause I despise that Linux Distro maybe Despise is a little bit too strong but dislike its UI is not in my taste and the software in bundles is way too much and not my type.

But anyways I ranted for way too long this 7 Minutes and 30 Seconds Video from Britec should explain everything and the biggest factors on why I hate Discord if you have any criticisms I wouldn't mind hearing them as long as they are civilized and they are more in a debate type of format with some research to back it up.  

Now a evil group called 404 Media now has your data via a tool called Sky Pet I don't necessarily Social Media Platforms or Discord I'm not a fan of them nor will I ever be but does that really offended you if it does than you need to mentally get yourself checked out by a doctor by Discord I'm never touching.

Edited by Zamazenta the OS-Tan Fan

Okay so first of all, please, for the love of god, use punctuation every so often. See how much easier that first sentence alone is to parse compared to the paragraph-length run-on sentences seen above? I've wanted to mention this for a while but couldn't find a good chance. Might as well cover it now, even if it's not really relevant to the rest of all this.

Secondly, I feel like I left here knowing more about your personal feelings than the supposed issue at hand (and even then, I'm not entirely sure I correctly understood parts of what you were trying to say). That's just poor journalism and presentation - not saying that we're a news site or anything of the sort, of course - and circling back to the YouTube note, I can't help but find Britech's channel suspicious in its own way. An 8+ minute upload every single day (or close enough to it) on matters as complex as data security and PC usage reeks of poor research, or worse yet, clickbait to get that midroll ad money.

But that's just speculation. Let's look back at the truth for a moment.

The truth is that this not the first time Discord data has been scraped and potentially sold, and it will certainly not be the last. This is, however, not a Discord problem, but a specific symptom of a greater, internet-wide problem. I'm sorry to say, but no matter what hipster, non-mainstream OS, browser, and websites you use, if you've used the internet at all over the last couple of decades, your data has probably already been collected and/or sold. Doubly so if you live in the US. If you were truly deadset on ensuring your data is never scraped or sold, the only surefire way to do so would be to not only stop using the internet entirely, but find the respective avenues for every website you've ever visited to delete any and all data pertaining to yourself. Even our posts in this very thread present something to be collected and distributed (not that Torm would ever let this happen as long as he's got anything to say about it), probably to ad companies, which is fine since we both use adblocks. And even if I didn't, any company that wants to send ads laser-targeted to appeal to me specifically are welcome to try.

As a closing note, I gotta say it's rather bold of you to say you'll take criticisms "as long as they are civilized and they are more in a debate type of format with some research to back it up", only to immediately turn around and say in the very next line, and I literally quote,

3 hours ago, Zamazenta the OS-Tan Fan said:

I'm not a fan of [social media platforms/Discord] nor will I ever be but does that really offended you if it does than you need to mentally get yourself checked out by a doctor

Unlike the other forum, we're all more or less reasonable over here and wouldn't get offended by something as petty as one guy hating the mainstream. But even if we weren't, I kinda almost have to applaud anyone that goes "I'll take criticisms as long as they're civilized, now excuse me while I insinuate that some of you may need a mental check-in (not a very civilized thing to say)."

8 minutes ago, yui said:

Okay so first of all, please, for the love of god, use punctuation every so often. See how much easier that first sentence alone is to parse compared to the paragraph-length run-on sentences seen above? I've wanted to mention this for a while but couldn't find a good chance. Might as well cover it now, even if it's not really relevant to the rest of all this.

Secondly, I feel like I left here knowing more about your personal feelings than the supposed issue at hand (and even then, I'm not entirely sure I correctly understood parts of what you were trying to say). That's just poor journalism and presentation - not saying that we're a news site or anything of the sort, of course - and circling back to the YouTube note, I can't help but find Britech's channel suspicious in its own way. An 8+ minute upload every single day (or close enough to it) on matters as complex as data security and PC usage reeks of poor research, or worse yet, clickbait to get that midroll ad money.

But that's just speculation. Let's look back at the truth for a moment.

The truth is that this not the first time Discord data has been scraped and potentially sold, and it will certainly not be the last. This is, however, not a Discord problem, but a specific symptom of a greater, internet-wide problem. I'm sorry to say, but no matter what hipster, non-mainstream OS, browser, and websites you use, if you've used the internet at all over the last couple of decades, your data has probably already been collected and/or sold. Doubly so if you live in the US. If you were truly deadset on ensuring your data is never scraped or sold, the only surefire way to do so would be to not only stop using the internet entirely, but find the respective avenues for every website you've ever visited to delete any and all data pertaining to yourself. Even our posts in this very thread present something to be collected and distributed (not that Torm would ever let this happen as long as he's got anything to say about it), probably to ad companies, which is fine since we both use adblocks. And even if I didn't, any company that wants to send ads laser-targeted to appeal to me specifically are welcome to try.

As a closing note, I gotta say it's rather bold of you to say you'll take criticisms "as long as they are civilized and they are more in a debate type of format with some research to back it up", only to immediately turn around and say in the very next line, and I literally quote,

Unlike the other forum, we're all more or less reasonable over here and wouldn't get offended by something as petty as one guy hating the mainstream. But even if we weren't, I kinda almost have to applaud anyone that goes "I'll take criticisms as long as they're civilized, now excuse me while I insinuate that some of you may need a mental check-in (not a very civilized thing to say)."

True I guess you have a point... though that is why you and me don't go posting our personal information like names, addresses, age, credit cards, etc but yes you make a good point. Also I don't really live in the US.

I'm a kinda a hater of the mainstream, true also I could self-host a encrypted matrix to chat about cool topics like Video Games, Pokémon, Computers and Tech so OSes like Windows, Mac, and Linux and whatever and I will keep your data safe unlike those big tech/mainstream folks that just want money.

Yes we do both use Adblockers I use them on all of my browsers UBlock Origin is the best also there are mallious adverts out there and I don't give two fs about what Google wants on YouTube I still break their rules and use Adblockers anyways I'm not even signed into anything so they can't ban me they need to clean up their ad crap first even than I still wouldn't go without an adblocker I'm too used to it.