Sleepy

About the Profile Header

Question

I think this one was only brought up at the Discord chat but:
The header image is a little awkward. It's long but thin, and crops out a lot.

I know it can be clicked to reveal an almost full art but it'd be ideal if the pre-clicking mode had dimensions a little more similar to the old YCM one.
Also, post-clicking for full art doesn't seem to necessarily unfold the full art.
When you customize the point that is visible before clicking, that becomes your new top point, and clicking only reveals the rest downwards, meaning whatever the customization left above the first view is not gonna be visible either way.

13 answers to this question

I've modified the dimensions on this, can you guys confirm if this looks any better?

200 px in height to 350 px in height.

Yeah, seconded.

It feels a bit too thin currently and crops off a large amount, and even though full image can be viewed, that's extra effort that'll probably never be done by most visitors.

3 minutes ago, Suzu said:

Yeah, seconded.

It feels a bit too thin currently and crops off a large amount, and even though full image can be viewed, that's extra effort that'll probably never be done by most visitors.

On top of that, even when fully viewed, taking my current header image for example:

Spoiler

t99Tu4A.jpg

^That red rectangle is the "preview" that shows in my profile, and clicking for full view won't reveal anything above that rectangle.
Now, my header did that near it's real top, but I guess some will choose sections more in the middle.

Yeah, it'd be nice if the header crop didn't hide anything above the margin too, but at the least, making it a bit taller in general for the crop would be appreciated.

And for the header that's visible in posts above the profile picture, it ends up squishing the entire image to that size ratio from what it seems like, which ends up making it look worse and cluttery. But changing it to fit the margins by making it just a long image means the click to view full header would be affected too, as well as the header in general on the profile page too.

It seems to work on mobile, but I agree, desktop view should show a bit more.

I noticed as well on posts if your cover pic doesn't have the right proportions, it gets squished, so that's weird.

The thing about the header image is that different themes have a different shape/size header on your profile.

The header image behind your profile pic on the side of forum posts is god awful though, even if it didn't scrunch up headers that don't fit its aspect ratio, it's still ugly as hell.

Edited by Aix

32 minutes ago, Aix said:

The thing about the header image is that different themes have a different shape/size header on your profile.

The header image behind your profile pic on the side of forum posts is god awful though, even if it didn't scrunch up headers that don't fit its aspect ratio, it's still ugly as hell.

If possible I'd like to find a way for my profile header to not appear behind my avatar at forum posts.... 
It's stretched up and blurry and it's beyond awkward. 

For now I'll try to see what kinds of adjustments I can make.

EDIT: Cropped it into looking not distorted from profile comments. For now it'll have to do I suppose....

Edited by Sleepy

I'll look into changing the dimensions per theme in the mean-time we will have to make do.

Also removed the headers from posts as they were a little gaudy.

All good, thanks for the quick responses as ever.

32 minutes ago, Tormented said:

I've modified the dimensions on this, can you guys confirm if this looks any better?

200 px in height to 350 px in height.

Yes, it is looking a lot better. Thanks a lot for the modification.

Yeah looks way better, thanks!

The way which things are just floating in the middle of the cover photo is pretty bad though, it's obvious the UI designer did not make it like that, gotta move the avatar and buttons back to the bottom, or you could throw them to the top.

Edited by Aix

3 hours ago, Aix said:

The way which things are just floating in the middle of the cover photo is pretty bad though, it's obvious the UI designer did not make it like that, gotta move the avatar and buttons back to the bottom, or you could throw them to the top.

Yeah for sure, I’m sure it’s possible but it’s something I’ll look at.