Sign in to follow this  
Arbalest's Big Crossbow

Raigeki

131516.jpg

Destroy all monsters your opponent controls.

This section is dead, and as much as I'd like to see more activity pumped into it I don't play the main game so I kinda would just stumble through making presumably bad and boring card choices to talk about. But this card, this card, frankly astounds me. It was banned for 12 years because it was a free one-sided board wipe. You just play this and bam, there goes the opponent's entire frontrow. But now, not only is this card no longer on the banlist, it's bad. Raigeki is a bad card. Last I played the main game was sometime around the time this card came off the banlist, and the fact that this card isn't really all that good frightens me. Like, what the hell happened.

Well it wasn't bad when I played, but dark hole could advance plays so it had a higher ceiling, and since you want to drop the wipe before you summon stuff there it really isn't even symmetrical.

Honestly I don't main this anywhere. It is a bit unreliable to bump into at 1 and just generic good stuffs from old times, and the board wipe is a bit less good when the format of the past half a decade has been composed of disruptors that could stop it, floaters that don't mind or even welcome it, or monsters that have some sort of protection against destruction. It's not all we got but it's a pretty common thing we got.

I've tried using it in decks and I also surprise myself taking this out every time in favor of anything else. I honestly would rather consider other stuff before it. There's Kaiju Slumber if you run Kaijus that also is a searcher. There is Lightning Storm if you want the option of being Raigeki or Harpie's Feather Duster (though even that card is not exactly an absolute staple in decks). There's Dark Ruler No More, which doesn't directly get rid of the board or even allow you to OTK from there, but it seems like it'd enable the rest of your deck to do so better (and it is at 3 so it is a bit more to be relied on during a game).

If Raigeki was at 3, I don't think I'd necessarily jump on the opportunity to even side deck it.... and yes, I also find that jarring xD

I believe Lightning Storm is better nowadays?
Yeah, this card lost so much impact. The power to break a board barely matters if the board you are facing won't let you resolve this card anyway. Still, this ought to be a good pal for Dark Ruler No More.