cr47t

[CORRECTED PLEASE LOCK] About the UK online safety bill

Post Corrected Update)

When I posted this post it was just me trying to bring to attention things that I was concerned about with the sister forum YCM - basically copy+pasting with a few edits, and the YCM post in turn was written shortly before leaving the screen for the day. As Yui illustrated below here, I posted ignorantly - I had no clue that Tormented was the owner of the site and that he's UK based (which defeats the whole point of my post here), I hadn't considered NCM's internet footprint even in relation to YCM, and how the law apparently would not affect people who aren't doing anything shady (which as far as I know, nobody is, or at least I would hope nobody is.) Yui's post in general is much more thought out than my own, and while I do think I can plead ignorance for not knowing the context of NCM properly, I also take responsibility for the bad posting. My apologies to Tormented and everyone else - I've no hard feelings and I hope this doesn't cause any more of them.

I don't back the original post any more for NCM so I deleted it but I kept the video for context sake.. I'm also requesting someone lock this so I can just put this behind me and keep on as usual.

Edited by cr47t
see resolution

There's so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to start. So let's start from the top of the post!

So, right out the gate, there's a problem with your proposal. A very serious one. Torm owns the website, and he lives in the UK. So if the website was to cease operations in the UK, its operations as a whole would not be far behind unless he passed ownership to Yemachu and just continued footing the bill himself or something? Seems like a lot of hoop-jumping over what will likely amount to nothing. Furthermore, you flat-out admit you haven't done your own reading and research (you're basing your post off information from YouTube, ffs), and I hate to sound like I'm gatekeeping, but one should never present an issue as prevalent as you're making this one sound without doing their own research first. This sort of thing is exactly how misinformation gets spread around.

So I took the time to read the Online Safety Bill's exact wording myself. Neither you nor the YouTube video linked back to anything showing the actual papers, by the by, so I had to do that myself, too. For shame. I'm pretty sure I legally need to clarify at this point that I'm not a lawyer, I've never been to law school, etc, and I've also never set foot in the UK, so someone who meets at least one of those criteria would be a better authority on what all I'm about to say. Not to mention a lot of this referenced other laws/documents but didn't say what was actually written in those. Anyway, assuming I've read all this right, the act does exactly what's written on the tin: Looks over the web and tries to make it less harmful toward children and animals. A noble goal, but that assumes that's all they do with it. Now, being American myself, I live in a country where there's no shortage of laws that also look over the web and what everyone posts on it. That being the case, I can say with full confidence that unless you've been posting content that involves the abuse of children or animals and live in the UK, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Your belief that this will have a profound impact on NCM is, however, frankly ridiculous. Not only do you need to be thirteen or older to register for this website, with most if not all of its userbase being fairly past twenty already, but NCM is such a small middle-of-nowhere site that's only tangentially related to Yu-Gi-Oh at this point, that anyone looking to make a move on/against this site would have to go out of their way to even know about it in the first place. You basically illustrated in great detail for us the amount of mental gymnastics you had to do to turn this particular molehill into the mountain you did. How, pray tell, would this internet equivalent of a middle-of-nowhere gas station town with exactly five buildings, come to the attention of the UK government, and why would they care if it did? Are you gonna tell them yourself? Have you been posting content that would get their attention?

To summarize, your information sounds unreliable, the situation you've outlined is absurd, and your solution would mean shutting down the website as a whole since it's owned, run, and paid for by an Englishman (not Yemachu, who is a coder that does work on the cardmaker and possibly some behind-the-scenes stuff I don't know about). Now, I must again clarify at the end of my post that I'm not in the UK, and have only read the Online Safety Bill in a vacuum. If there's further context or information that I'm missing, I'm very open to that possibility, but based on what I've read both here and there, I could not disagree more with your entire proposal for so many reasons.

Edited by yui

On 9/22/2023 at 10:03 PM, LordCowCow said:

I don't think Torm wants to block himself from his site.

Peace Out Reaction GIF

Yeah - there's no risk of anything here frankly - if the Tories want to come after my little niche roleplaying forum with some side bits that's cool.

There's nothing on here that strictly violates anything legislated and things are so small comparatively that I think we are fine.

The site is also hosted by an American organization anyway so, we're good.