Sign in to follow this  
Thar

Require a post for poll tournament votes

Question

I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite for this as of the last few rounds of the current tournaments, but seeing as the majority of topics are more votes over actual activity, I'm inclined to believe there needs to be more of the latter.

More formally, I suggest as a rule for every tournament, anyone who votes must post an explanation as to why they voted, whether brief or detailed. To me, there is no reason to pitch in to these types of things without giving a reason you think your choice should advance. It provides nominations with structure to their bias rather than just a number on a chart.

Thoughts? I'm okay with it either way, but it'd be nice to see actual activity on something that gets that much attention.

3 answers to this question

The issue is sometimes people only have very vague reasons.

Now if there are...suspicious votes I do ask people. Such as if suddenly several voters come in who didn't vote elsewhere.

Plus after the first round you often would be repeating yourself.

Now I would like more posts yes but it doesn't feel right to require them except in cases you need to know the why.

Pretty sure there used to be a rule like this on the old site that got repealed. Assuming I'm not misremembering, it must have been taken out for a reason, and I can't say I'd be excited to see it come back.

Not too keen on a forum-wide rule of post-to-vote in tournament polls, since some could be based on anonymous votes, depending on their nature, goal, approach, etc. IMO it should be enough to let hosts to require a post per vote as a rule for their own tournaments.