Koa'ki Meiru Cortex

Koa'ki Meiru Cortex
EARTH
[Psychic/Link/Effect]
Link Number 2
Link Markers: SW, SE
ATK/ 1900

2 Effect monsters, except LIGHT or DARK monsters

"Koa'ki Meiru" monsters this card points to cannot be destroyed. You can only use each of these effects of "Koa'ki Meiru Cortex"  once per turn.

• If an "Iron Core of Koa'ki Meiru" is added to your hand: You can draw 1 card.
  • Send 1 "Iron Core of Koa'ki Meiru" from your hand or Deck to the GY; Special Summon 1 "Koa'ki Meiru" monster from your Deck.
  • Discard 1 card and target 1 LIGHT or DARK monster your opponent controls; take control of it.

Support To:

Flavor Notes:

Spoiler

So most of what I gathered at looking at the other Koa'ki Meirus in terms of naming... A lot of them seem to be named simply in accordance to what represent their typing... For instance Koa'ki Meiru Boulder is a Rock Type, or Koa'ki Meiru Ice is an Aqua Type and so forth. In this case, I kind of took the route of making a double entendre while Cortex can relate to it Psychic typing as in referencing the cerebral cortex of the brain... It also plays into the "Core" aspect of the archetype because Cortex has the sound of the word "core" in its name.

Edited by BGMキャノン

I assume the first effect intents to protect the Koa'kis from their self-destructions. If so, it won't work, because as maintenance costs those are destructions by card mechanics, not so much by effect. That's why the Diamond Core protects from destruction in general, without specifying from an effect, battle, nor both.
That aside, I like the first and third effects: first one nicely balances the drawing of Iron Core, which is often a dead card unless you make use of it by discarding and whatnot; and the last makes the Link a fun meta call for decks that can drop it. The second effects bugs me, however, because not only it can be an easy +1 by milling a Core, also it can bring Urnight for spamming power. Maybe if it was limited  to discarding a Core, and reviving from the GY, but even then, It's asking for Urnight combos. Which is not exactly a bad thing, but IMO is prone to abuse, since Urnight lacks a hard OPT.

2 hours ago, A Crap Guide to CC said:

I assume the first effect intents to protect the Koa'kis from their self-destructions. If so, it won't work, because as maintenance costs those are destructions by card mechanics, not so much by effect. That's why the Diamond Core protects from destruction in general, without specifying from an effect, battle, nor both.
That aside, I like the first and third effects: first one nicely balances the drawing of Iron Core, which is often a dead card unless you make use of it by discarding and whatnot; and the last makes the Link a fun meta call for decks that can drop it. The second effects bugs me, however, because not only it can be an easy +1 by milling a Core, also it can bring Urnight for spamming power. Maybe if it was limited  to discarding a Core, and reviving from the GY, but even then, It's asking for Urnight combos. Which is not exactly a bad thing, but IMO is prone to abuse, since Urnight lacks a hard OPT.

So if I don't specify how they are destroyed... It works? Hmm... Okay. That maintenance shit always get me.

Hmm... Yeah Urnight might be a pretty predominate play, but lets face it terms of spamming... That is the only card in the archetype so far that spams swarming potential... And it can't Special Summon itself. In a dedicated Koa'ki build your probably going to only pull off Urnights effect 2 times. One to make this Link, the other to Spam from this Link. I don't think it will have that much impact... On a good day you can either have a follow up 2-mat Rank 4 or Link 3 or 4.

Edited by BGMキャノン

Was thinking if it could do something different to swarming which is already covered by Urnight, and that somehow supports better the stun playstyle of Koakis through the rocks, Drago and Maximus. But IDK what that effect could be.

inb4 a Lair of Darkness-like effect that lets you Tribute an opponent's monster instead of a Koaki rock, and/or destroy another card on the field instead of themselves for the maintenance cost :v