Jolly Glot

[IGAS] “Karakuri” Legacy Support

Karakuri gets 5 new cards to boost its old school strategy

Karakuri-1.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

IGAS-JP014 Karakuri Houshi Kuchimusan (Karakuri Monk mdl 9763 “Kuchimusan”)
Level 5 EARTH Machine Effect Monster
ATK 2000
DEF 1500

You can only use this card name’s (1) effect once per turn.
(1) If this card is in your hand: You can target 1 “Karakuri” monster you control; change its battle position, and if you do, Special Summon this card (it becomes treated as a Tuner), also you cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck for the rest of this turn, except EARTH Machine monsters.
(2) Must attack if able.
(3) If this card is selected for an attack: Change its battle position.

Karakuri-Tuner.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=

IGAS-JP014 Karakuri Gama Shirokunishi (Karakuri Toad mdl 4624 “Shirokunishi”)
Level 1 EARTH Machine Tuner Effect Monster
ATK 200
DEF 1000

You can only use this card name’s (3) effect once per turn.
(1) Must attack if able.
(2) If this card is selected for an attack: Change its battle position.
(3) (Quick Effect): You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 “Karakuri” monster you control; change its battle position.

Karakuri-Synchro.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ss

IGAS-JP043 Karakuri Daigongen Bureibu (Karakuri Daigongen mdl 00X Bureibu)
Level 9 EARTH Machine Synchro Effect Monster
ATK 3000
DEF 1500

Materials: 1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner Machine monsters
(1) If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 “Karakuri” monster from your Deck.
(2) Defense Position monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle.
(3) Once per turn, if the battle position of a face-up “Karakuri” monster you control is changed: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; banish it.

Karakuri-Spell.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=

IGAS-JP058 Karakuri Gamaabura (Karakuri Toad Oil)
Equip Spell Card

You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
(1) Activate this card by targeting 1 “Karakuri” monster in your GY; Special Summon it, and if you do, equip this card to it.
(2) Once per turn, if the battle position of a face-up “Karakuri” monster you control is changed: The equipped monster gains 500 ATK/DEF.

Karakuri-Trap.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

IGAS-JP073 Kari Karakuri Hatagokura (Karakuri Cash Lodge)
Normal Trap Card

You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
(1) Target 1 “Karakuri” monster you control and 1 Effect Monster your opponent controls; change the battle position of your targeted monster, and if you do, negate the effects of your opponent’s targeted monster until the end of this turn.
(2) If you control a “Karakuri” monster: You can banish this card from the GY, then target 1 face-up monster; change its battle position.

Source: https://ygorganization.com/haguruma/

Edited by Jolly Glot

Selected for an attack? Ew, gross I hate it. I don't get how YGOrg decides to translate things sometimes, they should know it's not like that. Anyway, not seeing anything special here, they didn't seem to change much of what they do, which is surprising, since most legacy support tends to change up what they do, at least a little bit, but these seem like they could have come out when they first made them, so maybe people will be happy about that? I have not played these for a long time, so I wouldn't know what they want these days, some of them seem pretty good, I can't really tell anymore.

I see some gems here, more notably the Spell and Trap as an archetype revival and disruption reminiscent of Fiendish Chain/Fog Blade, respectively. The new Synchro offers a bit more of control too. Opening with the Synchro and the Trap, sounds like a promising starting board but... IDK how consistently they could pull it off. No expert on Karakuris but IIRC their successful playstyle was spam their Synchros and go for OTKs, but with the MR4 rule around they can't consistently do that anymore. And these cards don't seem to support said Synchro spam & beat playstyle, but instead support more control-ish builds. Not to mention their only searcher for the new "Fog Blade" is Karakuri Merchant, who in turn is Normal Summon-reliant. They may have little problem with NSing Merchant then getting another monster(s) on board (e.g. Destrudo or their new Monk) to go into Burei/Bureido and ladder into the new Synchro, and that would result in the aforementioned 2 disruptions, which is decent but AFAIK still falls short compared to current meta decks. Last time I checked, meta decks were opening with at least 3 disruptions, or combine disruption with removal protection. With more search power, and factoring in their Counter Trap Cash Shed to stop Spell/Traps, they may get somewhere, though.

I very much like the art of the toad, though. I dare say art-wise it's my favorite Karakuri so far.