Sign in to follow this  
Tinkerer

Statutist Commander - Need help with wording

Hello, fine peoples!

So, I had an archetype design in mind, but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to word it to achieve my aim.

The idea/prompt is simple:
Make an archetype entirely devoid of activation effects.

...Or, if I want to be more specific:
Make an archetype that never starts a chain (outside Spell/Trap card activations).

Here's the card:

Statutist Commander
WIND ****
Thunder/Effect
If you control a "Statutist" Spell, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. After a "Statutist" monster is Summoned or a "Statutist" Spell is activated, add 1 "Statutist" card from your Deck to your hand immediately after the Summon/activation resolves. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) If a "Statutist" card(s) you control would be destroyed, you can banish this card from your GY instead.
1800/1000

It's the search effect I'm unsure about. I tried to use Spell/Soul Absorption as a reference point (since they don't start a chain), but they aren't bound by OPTs either, so...

Anyways, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Edited by Tinkerer

2 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Hello, fine peoples!

So, I had an archetype design in mind, but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to word it to achieve my aim.

The idea/prompt is simple:
Make an archetype entirely devoid of activation effects.

...Or, if I want to be more specific:
Make an archetype that never starts a chain (outside Spell/Trap card activations).

Here's the card:

Statutist Commander
WIND ****
Thunder/Effect
If you control a "Statutist" Spell, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. After a "Statutist" monster is Summoned or a "Statutist" Spell is activated, add 1 "Statutist" card from your Deck to your hand immediately after the Summon/activation resolves. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) If a "Statutist" card(s) you control would be destroyed, you can banish this card from your GY instead.
1800/1000

It's the search effect I'm unsure about. I tried to use Spell/Soul Absorption as a reference point (since they don't start a chain), but they aren't bound by OPTs either, so...

Anyways, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

I normally see that parenthetical clause when additional Normal Summons are being referred to... So I looked up some monsters that only have that additional Normal Summon effect to see what kind of effect that they consider it. Here is are some examples: Evilswarm_Castor and Serenade_the_Melodious_Diva under the "Card Effect types" they are "Unclassified" meaning they are not Trigger Effects, yet they are not necessarily Continuous Effects... Weird. I did a little more rooting around and looked at Evilswarm Castor's Card Ruling here: Card_Rulings:Evilswarm_Castor

And it seems like how it works is that with that parenthetical clause it isn't treated as an activation... And more interestingly enough it is non-negatable once the condition is already applied: Can't effect veiler it or even Skill Drain it. Which could be pretty broken if you are not careful with how you design these. XD

Edited by BGMキャノン

Thanks!  That's actually really interesting.

The card definitely falls into the category of "unclassified effect".  I completely forgot that that was a thing, tbh.  I should've mentioned that my whole mindset with the simple prompt was designing them so they dance around big negation boards/handtraps/Mystic Mine/etc - I want the opponent to have to put up proactive interaction effects (i.e. Thunder Dragon Titan), rather than reactive ones (i.e. Ash Blossom) if they want to hurt these.

I'll make sure to try to balance 'em by making sure they are well restricted and giving the opponent a fairly large window to respond though.

Thanks!

You could take some ideas from Maxx C, whose effect won't start chains when you draw cards each time a monster is SSed. Although on activation the Continuous-like effect does start a chain, that's akin to activating this Spell in that case.

Thanks!

Looking at it, it seems like Maxx C has similar wording on its "lingering" effect as Spell/Soul Absorption, so I think I may have that aspect covered.

Cheers!