Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy

Doom & Devastation Virus

Doom & Devastation Virus
[Trap Card]

(This card is always treated as "Crush Card Virus")
Target 1 DARK Normal Monster you control with 1000 or less ATK, whenever it is destroyed by battle: Look at your opponent's hand, all monsters they control, and all cards they draw until the end of their 3rd turn after this effect resolves, and if you do, destroy the monsters among them with 1500 or more ATK.

- - - - -

Anime version of the trigger, but pre-errata IRL version of the effect. This is a Crush Card retrain of sorts.
The card plants the mine on the monster and then goes to the GY, and the monster will still be carrying the plague regardless of how many turns come around, but it doesn't instantly work as it needs battle interaction which makes it more avoidable.
Also, Kaiba usually used Crush Card with either Saggi the Dark Clown or with a Vorse Raider affected by Shrink, instead of something like a Sangan.
This would keep it in theme with Kaiba's plays and promote vanilla usage.

the "destroyed by battle and sent to the GY" bit is mainly non-support for Pendulums, but it also gives a use to "banish x when it destroys it by battle" effects as counters (this thinking old school gameplay).

Edited by Sleepy

A concern with the effect vs. wording:
Look at your opponent's hand, all monsters they control, and all cards they draw until the end of their turn after this effect's activation, and if you do, destroy the monsters among them with 1500 or more ATK.

Pretty sure the effect activates when you activate the Trap, not when the monster is destroyed by battle. Following this wording, the lingering destruction would only apply during the next turn you activated the Trap, and that's awkward because you want it to apply the turn the monster is destroyed instead. Was thinking you could use "resolution" instead of "activation", but it would still have the same problem. AFAIK your best best is giving the targeted monster the Virus effect instead, and although gained effects normally are dispelled the moment the monster leaves the field, I believe you can resort to PSCT clauses like (even if this card leaves the field) or something to that effect.

Now onto the card and effect, looks fun. Perhaps a bit too casual though, because not only it's battle-reliant, also it only lasts for 1 entire turn instead of 3 like the other virus Traps. IMO you can get away with making it last 3 turns, requiring the destruction by battle of a DARK monster with 1000 or less ATK should be enough of a drawback.

1 hour ago, Darj said:

A concern with the effect vs. wording:
Look at your opponent's hand, all monsters they control, and all cards they draw until the end of their turn after this effect's activation, and if you do, destroy the monsters among them with 1500 or more ATK.

Pretty sure the effect activates when you activate the Trap, not when the monster is destroyed by battle. Following this wording, the lingering destruction would only apply during the next turn you activated the Trap, and that's awkward because you want it to apply the turn the monster is destroyed instead. Was thinking you could use "resolution" instead of "activation", but it would still have the same problem. AFAIK your best best is giving the targeted monster the Virus effect instead, and although gained effects normally are dispelled the moment the monster leaves the field, I believe you can resort to PSCT clauses like (even if this card leaves the field) or something to that effect.

Now onto the card and effect, looks fun. Perhaps a bit too casual though, because not only it's battle-reliant, also it only lasts for 1 entire turn instead of 3 like the other virus Traps. IMO you can get away with making it last 3 turns, requiring the destruction by battle of a DARK monster with 1000 or less ATK should be enough of a drawback.

I was conscious of that and removed it originally.... IDK how it ended up crawling back into the text... must have gotten lost on the edits, but yeah, it's not supposed to have "effect activation" there... xD

Huh.... also "3rd" was meant to be in the text...... I really hate how my typing is betraying me this morning...... 

You know... I honestly think there needs to be more distribution of Typing and Attribute based support for the vast Normal monster card pool... We got a lot of generic support for Norms which is fine and dandy... But, I am surprised how long they kept to be hesitant to explore more avenues for Normal monsters... Like this. That way they can transform them into pseudo-archetypes and give players the ability to use them more confidently.

Now about the card I agree with Darj on this... The battle part is a bit too slow especially if your are putting yourself in the position to run Normal monsters.

One thing that also has me a bit concerned is... I understand it is being treated as Crush Card Virus for the sake of Fang of Critias to go into Doom Virus Dragon, but ruling wise... If it is Set is it really treated as "Crush Card Virus", or can it only be treated as "Crush Card Virus" when it is face-up? Food for thought.

Edited by BGMキャノン

1 hour ago, BGMキャノン said:

You know... I honestly think there needs to be more distribution of Typing and Attribute based support for the vast Normal monster card pool... We got a lot of generic support for Norms which is fine and dandy... But, I am surprised how long they kept to be hesitant to explore more avenues for Normal monsters... Like this. That way they can transform them into pseudo-archetypes and give players the ability to use them more confidently.

Now about the card I agree with Darj on this... The battle part is a bit too slow especially if your are putting yourself in the position to run Normal monsters.

One thing that also has me a bit concerned is... I understand it is being treated as Crush Card Virus for the sake of Fang of Critias, but ruling wise... If it is Set is it really treated as "Crush Card Virus", or can it only be treated as "Crush Card Virus" when it is face-up? Food for thought.

That is another thing I probably need to update. I need to use the "always treated as". This morning I was recalling this card's past as a banned/limited card and somehow it translated in my head to "I wanna be able to have 3 of this if I want to" xD I'll fix it to prevent the issue, regardless of if it ends up working face-down or not.
Also I forgot to explain in the card description that it was for Doom Virus Dragon, although I guess I didn't need to xP

Yeah vanilla support could be a lot more varied. We have some stuff like Carboneddon being for Dragon vanillas, but it is so scarce that I can't even recall another sample. Even the Phantasm Spiral cards are mostly generic for vanillas or specific for a single name card. We also need vanillas to experiment more with Type/Attribute combinations. A FIRE Dragon Normal as an old school 1800 beater sounds like something that should exist in some way in the classic game, or the Flame Swordsman should have been a Level 4 FIRE vanilla. FIRE Warrior Normal is a combination that still doesn't exist in the game (other than Gemini but those are something else).

The battle dependence is to match the anime/manga uses where Kaiba always had his infected monster be a vanilla DARK destroyed in a battle. It should be usable in the same scenarios, and not feel as cheap/easy/problematic for the same resolving effect as the pre-errata Crush Card. I suppose I could give it a clause that makes it quicker to use under certain scenarios. Maybe not outright a hand trap clause straight up, but something. Maybe something like "if you activate a Trap, you can negate and bounce it and activate this card from your hand instead" or "use from hand if the DARK is Saggi the Dark Clown", or "if the monster's ATK is lower than its original, this card use this card from hand"... or IDK.

I overlooked the monsters has to be a Normal, that makes it even more situational than I thought.
Pretty sure with the previous name substitute clause it was still treated as CCv even while it was Set, since it's a clause similar to Harpie's, which applies even while in the Deck. Although it wouldn't aply while in was on hand for comboing with Fang of Critias, so the current clause works better IMO. The only drawback is that you now can't technically run 6 copies of CCV xD

I'm not sure if the "whenever it is destroyed by battle" works mechanically-wise. Instead, with giving an effect, I was mainly thinking on something like:
Target 1 DARK Normal Monster you control with 1000 or less ATK; it gains this effect (even if it leaves the field).
  - If this card is destroyed by battle: Look at your opponent's hand, all monsters they control, and all cards they draw until the end of their 3rd turn after this effect resolves, and if you do, destroy the monsters among them with 1500 or more ATK.