Sign in to follow this  
BringerofEnd

written Tags are probably better than just putting written in the title [Ascetic Acension]

whoops

Ascetic Ascension

Continuous Spell

If this card leaves the field by your opponent's card: Banish, facedown, cards your opponent controls, up to the number of cards banished this way. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "Ascetice Ascension" per turn, and only once per turn.

• You can banish 1 card from your Hand, field, GY, Extra or from the top of your Deck, face-down.
  • If all other cards in your possession are banished face-down (Quick Effect): You can banish this card facedown; You win the Duel.

Yep, it's an alt-wincon, but I felt it appropriate for this new forum to be thought of as a kind of "ascension" as people seem to feel about it. Banish facedown seems to be becoming more of a thing, so making a whole win con around it is something that would be fun. The themeing is, if it wasn't obvious, the idea of surrendering your material possessions to achieve enlightenment, as practiced by ascetics.

Edited by BringerofEnd

Huh, isn't this a 1-card FTK? Go first, open this, play it, banish all your hand since the first effect isn't OPT, then banish itself, win. If you opponent didn't open Snow Rabbit or PSYFrame Delta, it lost.

By the way, Spell/Traps don't use the (Quick Effect) clause.

21 hours ago, Darj said:

Huh, isn't this a 1-card FTK? Go first, open this, play it, banish all your hand since the first effect isn't OPT, then banish itself, win. If you opponent didn't open Snow Rabbit or PSYFrame Delta, it lost.

By the way, Spell/Traps don't use the (Quick Effect) clause.

Second whoops, forgot to put the intended HOPT on it. Good catch.

As for the Quick Effect stuff, as I understand it it's necessary if the card itself isn't already SS2 (I'd agree with you on Traps, for example). But since this is a continuous Spell, I included it.

The thing is that Quick Effects is a type of monster effect, according to the YGO wikia, and thus Spell/Traps cannot have until Konami does it first. You can use the good old "during either player's turn", though.

Anyway, with the fix it is no longer an FTK of course. you would have find a way to banish the rest of your hand face-down first and not only AFAIK there is no such way to do so, also we would be speaking of a 2-card combo at least.

Pretty sure you need your Deck banished to win with this card as well, considering your Deck is in your possession as well. Nigh impossible to win with this card as an FTK, but at least it has the meme.

7 hours ago, Darj said:

The thing is that Quick Effects is a type of monster effect, according to the YGO wikia, and thus Spell/Traps cannot have until Konami does it first. You can use the good old "during either player's turn", though.

"During either player's turn" was the card grammar for a quick effect :v What you're looking for is a trigger effect.

"If this card leaves the field by your opponent's card: Banish cards your opponent controls facedown up to the number of cards that were banished by this card's effect. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "Ascetice Ascension" per turn, and only once per turn.

• You can banish 1 card from your Hand, field, GY, Extra or from the top of your Deck, face-down.
  • If a card in your possession is banished face-down, and all other cards in your possession are banished: Banish this card facedown; you win the Duel."

On 1/13/2019 at 1:29 AM, Dova said:

Pretty sure you need your Deck banished to win with this card as well, considering your Deck is in your possession as well. Nigh impossible to win with this card as an FTK, but at least it has the meme.

"During either player's turn" was the card grammar for a quick effect :v What you're looking for is a trigger effect.

"If this card leaves the field by your opponent's card: Banish cards your opponent controls facedown up to the number of cards that were banished by this card's effect. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "Ascetice Ascension" per turn, and only once per turn.

• If a card in your possession is banished face-down, and all other cards in your possession are banished: Banish this card facedown; you win the Duel."

But... he wants the last effect to be spell speed 2. It needs the "During either player's turn" clause then.

I know that, but you can't have a Spell effect be Spell Speed 2, as all Spell Speed 2 cards are either Trap Cards, Quick-Play Spell Card activations, or Quick Effects.

I used to think like that but doesn't hurt to be open to ideas. Besides, card text can override card rules, and there actually is a card as precedent, Rainbow Ruins, although IMO it is important to note that its text is outdated.

The intention is to have it be an ignition effect that can apply during either player's turn, since I don't want the player to win on the same turn they banish the final card (because lmao getting to that point). Like yeah I could just have a trigger effect or something, but honestly I don't see the issue if the card text is clear about how it works.

You could just get rid of the colon in the last effect. Victory conditions are special in the game, as in, they cannot be negated because they are more like an addendum to the rules of the game as soon as they are live and present, rather than an effect.  To illustrate this point, here's an oldie but goodie video of YGO4RealMen:
At minute 8:50 he wins via Ghostrick Angel's victory condition under Skill Drain:

Spoiler

Rather I'd recommend it not being part of the list of bullet effects. Instead, I suggest you put it before the other effects and make it so that it isn't live if you've used the other effect if you wanna simulate the "choose 1 of them" alternative regardless.
Though it might not be worth the trouble seeing as one of the effects is meant to act quick and the other isn't. The regular effect will always be live on your turn and the win condition will be live as soon as the opponent's turn starts.