Black D'Sceptyr

[DANE] Null Nun & Blooming Dogwood

42D2D00C-0436-4725-9C13-D0973920C164.jpe

(Null Nun & Blooming Dogwood)
WATER/Zombie
Tuner/Effect
Level 3
0/1800

Lore: You can only use the effect of this card’s name once per turn.
(Quick Effect): You can discard this card; apply this effect for the rest of this turn.
• Each time your opponent Special Summons an Effect Monster(s) during the Main Phase or Battle Phase, you gain LP equal to the current ATK of that monster(s). If you do not gain LP with this effect, halve your LP during the End Phase.

Seems like a counter to OTKs and maybe against monster-based burns, and could act as a watered down Maxx C since it's banned in OCG.

Cards like cannon soldier could, in theory, still FTK if you summon a monster with 400 or less attack, and since you would be burning 500 every time, you would slowly burn 100 life points per tribute. In general though, this card seems like a good counter to otk based strategies, and definitely could see side deck play IMO. Being a tuner gives it more plays than cards such as Hanewata or Kuriphoton, if Needlefiber ever comes over to the TCG. Overall nice card. 

That last line really confuses me.  What would prevent you from gaining the LP?

Called by the Grave negates the entire card, including the last line.  Aside from that, I can't see a way for the LP gain to not happen after this is activated.

22 minutes ago, jabber2033 said:

That last line really confuses me.  What would prevent you from gaining the LP?

Called by the Grave negates the entire card, including the last line.  Aside from that, I can't see a way for the LP gain to not happen after this is activated.

Can't Simochi/Reficule turn any LP you gain into damage?
Anyway, pretty sure the drawback is to discourage the player to use the effect carelessly, like playing it too early before the opponent Summons anything for the sake of being preventive.

Haven't played YGO in forever, but just dropping by for a few cents of thought.

That art is so adorable, god. Life gain/burn decks have always been something I found kind of fun so this seems pretty neat.

Dunno enough about the meta as to how it'd contribute, but yeah. Seems like at least an okayish side? If YGO was anything like when I left it, Special Summoning out the rear was still a big thing.

Imagine getting FTKd after dropping this.

This post made by the Gandora X gang.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:51 AM, Black said:

Imagine getting FTKd after dropping this.

This post made by the Gandora X gang.

Gandora/R11 spiders are the main way you're beating this in one turn. Aside from being the guy who plays this on a nurse burn deck.

Just now, vla1ne said:

Gandora/R11 spiders are the main way you're beating this in one turn. Aside from being the guy who plays this on a nurse burn deck.

that was the joke, yes, thank you for explaining

Aside from the otk memes, aromages are going to be really fun with this. they've been dying for more easy ways to gain LP on the opponents turn to keep themselves ahead.

Found this replay the day the card was revealed: 
I think it's relevant to the conversation (if I can figure out how to post it)...