weeb

Elemental HERO Deluge

VepIgs0.jpg

Artwork Source: Esdeath fanart by Joseph Lee, Pixiv ID 4404476

Elemental HERO Deluge

LV8 | WATER | Warrior/Fusion/Effect

ATK: 2700 – DEF: 2300

Effect: 1 "HERO" Fusion monster + 1 WATER monster 
Must be Fusion Summoned. When this card and/or a card(s) in your possession is destroyed by a card effect and sent to the GY: shuffle as many cards into the deck as possible that your opponent controls, but not more than the number of destroyed cards. Once per turn: you can activate this effect; destroy any number of other cards you control or in your hand.

Design Notes: When HEROes first came out, I liked them but I wasn’t necessarily the biggest fan, other than I thought Flame Wingman’s design was awesome, and I thought Burstinatrix was hot. It wasn’t really until the “Omni-Heroes” (the Attribute-focused ones, such as Absolute Zero, Escuriado, etc) came out that I really started liking the archetype, and even wanted to make an E-HERO deck of my own. So, this card was inspired to be a variant of that tradition, except it goes a step further and requires a HERO Fusion monster as one of its materials. My intention was to make a HERO that may be a little harder to Summon, but has a really strong effect to make up for it. So with that said, let’s talk about the card.

So anytime one of your cards gets destroyed, except by battle, you hit your opponent back with a disruptive non-targeting, non-destruction removal effect. Your opponent is going to be less inclined to use a Twin Twisters or possibly even a Raigeki on you since they know they are going to lose resources if they do. And of course, if your opponent isn’t destroying your stuff, Deluge has a built in destruction effect that allows you to trade off your own cards for removing your Opponent’s. The card doesn’t have any built-in protection or immunity for balancing reasons, but since its effect acts like a pseudo-backrow protector anyway, you could probably get away with protecting it with other cards if you needed to.

At first I had some internal debate over how exactly this card would remove stuff. I thought of bouncing stuff back to the hand, or maybe even banishing cards instead, but eventually settled on returning stuff to the deck. I started to really like this idea when I remembered the card “Drowning Mirror Force”, since this card is a WATER monster, therefore its effect fits with some pre-established lore of the game. I imagine with this card’s auto-destruction effect, it’s like its taking energy from your own cards and turning it into a giant flood (or ‘deluge’) to drown out the opponent’s cards.

I’m not an expert on the meta, but from what I do understand, HERO decks pop up here and there as potential rogue options and this card would hopefully provide some decent support to that end. So I gotta ask the HERO players out there, would you run this? And to anyone really, what do you think of this card? Tell you the truth, I was a little hesitant at first if its effect was too powerful, but I’ll see what others have to say.

Edit 1: Reworded the card text and fixed a mistake where the card bounced cards based only on the number of destroyed monsters, rather than the total number of destroyed cards.

Edited by weeb

Card sure is potent, and I can see the flavor from Drowning Mirror Force and the removal nature of Absolute Zero. However, HEROes nowadays rely on their DARK side with Mist, Law, Vyon and Malicious for Link laddering/Gumblar plays, while WATER HEROes, or rather Bubbleman, nor the Fusion Spells see little play. Well, Poly sometimes for grabbing it with Vyon and OTKing with Trinity. However, a card like this could encourage the tech Bubbleman, maybe even Connector --> Dolphin.

Makes sense for you to pick on HEROes after the Omni Heroes because those were who took them into the meta. Brings me memories of Gemini HERO with Alius, Skyscraper, Gemini Spark, Miracle Fusion and Super Poly xD

Edited by Darj

16 hours ago, Darj said:

Card sure is potent, and I can see the flavor from Drowning Mirror Force and the removal nature of Absolute Zero. However, HEROes nowadays rely on their DARK side with Mist, Law, Vyon and Malicious for Link laddering/Gumblar plays, while WATER HEROes, or rather Bubbleman, nor the Fusion Spells see little play. Well, Poly sometimes for grabbing it with Vyon and OTKing with Trinity. However, a card like this could encourage the tech Bubbleman, maybe even Connector --> Dolphin.

Thanks for the feedback, tell you the truth I wasn't sure if the card's too potent. The day after posting it, I started thinking about all the different ways its effect could trigger (I mean even a card effect like"negate that activation, and if you do, destroy it" causes this thing to go off, so it's like your opponent can't even negate things properly with this on board) which is making me wonder if I didn't think it through enough. I'm tempted to go back to the drawing board and possibly change some details, though if I do, it will definitely still  be a heavy removal card with shuffling stuff back into the deck, that much is certain. But then again, there's so many crazy cards out there already, maybe I'm overthinking it. 

16 hours ago, Darj said:

Makes sense for you to pick on HEROes after the Omni Heroes because those were who took them into the meta. Brings me memories of Gemini HERO with Alius, Skyscraper, Gemini Spark, Miracle Fusion and Super Poly xD

Yeah that deck was so much fun to play. I also remember running Forbidden Lance and Safe Zone in it, those cards were so versatile. Chaining Safe Zone to an MST or Heavy and targeting an opponent's monster could be pretty hilarious. 

11 hours ago, weeb said:

Thanks for the feedback, tell you the truth I wasn't sure if the card's too potent. The day after posting it, I started thinking about all the different ways its effect could trigger (I mean even a card effect like"negate that activation, and if you do, destroy it" causes this thing to go off, so it's like your opponent can't even negate things properly with this on board) which is making me wonder if I didn't think it through enough. I'm tempted to go back to the drawing board and possibly change some details, though if I do, it will definitely still  be a heavy removal card with shuffling stuff back into the deck, that much is certain. But then again, there's so many crazy cards out there already, maybe I'm overthinking it.

Yeah, card potent but IMO it's fine, due to the requirements and dedication it needs. You have to tech WATERs and Fusion summoning power, and once you do it's a sort of floodgate-punisher monster but shouldn't be really threatening. Now that I think about it, Instant Fusion --> Mariner can act as a shortcut, but you would still be going a bit out of the way in HEROes by running Instant, plus it's not like the have any spare Extra Deck xD