Sign in to follow this  
Ultimagamer

Monkey King ( Series of 1000 Damage )

This was an archetype I thought of based around the card Temple of the Minds Eye, where all battle damage any player takes becomes 1000. This deck takes that idea and make's it an official gimmick. Spamming Links and recurring cards from your graveyard nicely while removing cards from your opponent's field with the effect of powerful link monsters. 

Also, enjoy this music while you read! It will set the theme and mood nicely. 

Please leave your thoughts below. ? 

[Monkey King Main Deck Monsters ( 5 )]

Recruit of the Monkey King

Level 1 / Earth / Beast / Tuner / Effect

1000 attack / 100 defense

If this card is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned: You can target 1 “Monkey King” Monster in your GY, except “Recruit of the Monkey King”; Special Summon it. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: You can send this card to the GY to Special Summon 1 “Monkey King” Monster from your Deck, except “Recruit of the Monkey King”. You can only use each effect of “Recruit of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Scout of the Monkey King

Level 3 / Earth / Beast / Effect

If you control no Monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: You can add 1 “Monkey King” card from your Deck to your hand, except “Scout of the Monkey King”. You can only use each effect of “Scout of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Warrior of the Monkey King

Level 4 / Earth / Beast / Effect

If you control a “Monkey King” Monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: You can target 1 “Monkey King” card in your GY, except “Warrior of the Monkey King”; place that target on the bottom of the Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of “Warrior of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Assistant of the Monkey King

Level 4 / Earth / Beast / Effect

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 “Monkey King” Monster from your hand, except “Assistant of the Monkey King”. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: you can draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of “Assistant of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Commander of the Monkey King

Level 5 / Earth / Beast / Effect

If this card is in your hand or GY: You can discard 1 “Monkey King” card from your hand, except “Commander of the Monkey King”, to Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: You can Special Summon 1 “Monkey king” Monster from your GY, except “Commander of the Monkey King”. You can only use each effect of “Commander of the Monkey King” once per turn

[Monkey King Extra Deck Monsters ( 5 )]

Jester of the Monkey King

Link 1 / Earth / Beast / Link / Effect

Link Material: 1 “Monkey King” Monster, except “Jester of the Monkey King”

Link Marker: Bottom

1500 attack

If this card is Link Summoned: You cannot Special Summon Monsters for the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, except Beast-Type Monsters, also add 1 “Monkey King” Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Jester of the Monkey King” once per turn. Other “Monkey King” Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn, if this card is in your GY, you can activate this effect: For the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, “Monkey King” Monsters you control can attack your opponent directly.

Princess of the Monkey King

Link 2 / Earth / Beast / Link / Effect

Link Materials: 2 Beast-Type Monsters

Link Markers: Left, Bottom

2000 attack

If this card is Link Summoned: You can add 1 “Monkey King” card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Princess of the Monkey King” once per turn. Your opponent cannot target other “Monkey King” cards you control with card effects. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; return it to the hand, then draw 1 card.

Prince of the Monkey King

Link 3 / Earth / Beast / Link / Effect

Link Materials: 2+ Beast-Type Monsters

Link Markers: Left, Bottom Left, Bottom Right

2500 attack

If this card is Link Summoned: You can target 1 “Monkey King” Monster in your GY, except “Prince of the Monkey King”; Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of “Prince of the Monkey King” once per turn. Your opponent cannot destroy other “Monkey King” cards your control with card effects. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle it into the Deck, then draw 1 card.

Queen of the Monkey King

Link 4 / Earth / Beast / Link / Effect

Link Materials: 2+ Beast-Type Monsters

Link Markers: Left, Bottom Left, Bottom Right, Right

3000 attack

If this card is Link Summoned: You can Special Summon up to 2 “Monkey King” Link Monsters from your GY to your zones this card points to. You cannot Special Summon Monsters during the turn you use this effect, except “Monkey King” Monsters. You can only use this effect of “Queen of the Monkey King” once per turn. Other “Monkey King” cards you control cannot be banished by an opponent’s card effect. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: You can shuffle up to 1 card your opponent controls from their field and their GY into their Deck, then draw 1 card.

The Monkey King

Link 5 / Earth / Beast / Link / Effect

Link Materials: 2+ “Monkey King” Monsters

Link Markers: Left, Bottom Left, Bottom, Bottom Right, Right

3500 attack

If this card is Link Summoned: You can draw 1 card for each “Monkey King” card you control. You can only use this effect of “The Monkey King” once per turn. While you control another “Monkey King” Monster, your opponent cannot target other cards you control with card effects, also Monsters they control cannot attack, unless they are attacking this card. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 damage to your opponent by battle: You can shuffle all cards your opponent controls and has in their hand into their Deck, then draw 1 card.

[Monkey King Spells ( 6 )]

Territory of the Monkey King

Spell - Quickplay

Add 1 “Temple of the Monkey King” from your Deck or GY to your hand. You cannot activate field spells during the turn you use this effect, except “Temple of the Monkey King”. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Territory of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Temple of the Monkey King

Spell - Field

All battle damage inflicted by “Monkey King” Monsters is always 1000, also if either player would pay life points or take effect damage, that amount of LP lost is treated as battle damage ( battle damage changed by this effect must be actual battle damage ). During your Main Phase, if you control no Monsters: You can Special Summon 1 “Monkey King” Monster from your hand, then draw 1 card.  You can only use this effect of “Temple of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Super Power of the Monkey King

Spell - Quickplay

Target 1 “Monkey King” Monster you control; double it’s current attack, also if it would inflict battle damage to your opponent for the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, it becomes exactly 1000. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Super Power of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Commands of the Monkey King

Spell - Quickplay

Send 1 non-Link “Monkey King” Monster from your hand or face-up from your field to your GY; apply that Monster’s effect when it inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent as this card’s effect. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Commands of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Recruitment of the Monkey King

Spell - Quickplay

Add 1 “Monkey King” Monster from your Deck to your hand. You cannot Special Summon Monsters during the turn you use this effect, except EARTH Monsters. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Recruitment of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Comeback of the Monkey King

Spell - Equip

Target 1 “Monkey King” Monster in your GY: Special Summon it, then Equip it with this card. If this card is destroyed, destroy the Equipped Monster. The Equipped Monster can attack your opponent directly. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Comeback of the Monkey King” once per turn.

[Monkey King Traps ( 2 )]

Scare Tactics of the Monkey King

Trap - Normal

If your opponent declares an attack against a “Monkey King” Monster you control: Return all attack position Monsters your opponent controls to the hand. If you control a “Monkey King” Link Monster and a “Monkey King” non-Link Monster, you can activate this card from your hand. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Scare Tactics of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Poison Dart of the Monkey King

Trap - Normal

If you control a “Monkey King” Monster; the effects of 1 face-up Monster your opponent controls is negated until the end of the next turn. If you control a “Monkey King” Link Monster and a “Monkey King” non-Link Monster, you can activate this card from your hand. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Poison Dart of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Edited by Ultimagamer
Some Quick Fixes

What I am first going to do is review each card individually and fix their PSCT (if any is needed), and also balance it. Once that has been done, I'll review the entire archetype together. I will be reviewing the monsters today.

Recruit:
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 “Monkey King” monster in your GY, except “Recruit of the Monkey King”; Special Summon it. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent: You can send this card to the GY; Special Summon 1 “Monkey King” Monster from your Deck, except “Recruit of the Monkey King”. You can only use each effect of “Recruit of the Monkey King” once per turn.

For the first effect, I would have it to where the Special Summoned monster's effects are negated, which shouldn't be much of a problem considering how it may as well be used as Link Material. Otherwise, good.

Scout:
If you control no monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent: You can add 1 “Monkey King” card from your Deck to your hand, except “Scout of the Monkey King”. You can only use each effect of “Scout of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Not as good as Recruit in my opinion. While this card can Special Summon itself while Recruit cannot, Recruit can still pretty much Summon any other Monkey King monster. Its second ability is also slightly better, considering how field advantage is always important. Recruit is also a Tuner—an added bonus. I would buff this card a bit, someway or another.

Warrior:
If you control a “Monkey King” monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 “Monkey King” card in your GY, except “Warrior of the Monkey King”; return that target to the bottom of the Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of “Warrior of the Monkey King” once per turn.

I would add a discard effect or such for the second effect. Otherwise, good. I have noticed that most of your cards have 1000 ATK, which honestly is a very low amount. I'm not sure if you have a way for those ATK amounts to work, but considering how your cards are so far, I would say you do.

Assistant:
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 “Monkey King” monster from your hand, except “Assistant of the Monkey King”. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent: You can draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of “Assistant of the Monkey King” once per turn.

?

Commander:
You can discard 1 “Monkey King” card from your hand, except “Commander of the Monkey King”; Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent: You can Special Summon 1 “Monkey king” monster from your GY, except “Commander of the Monkey King”. You can only use each effect of “Commander of the Monkey King” once per turn.

?

Jester:
If this card is Link Summoned: You cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, except Beast monsters, also add 1 “Monkey King” Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Jester of the Monkey King” once per turn. Other “Monkey King” monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn, if this card is in your GY: You can activate this effect; for the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, “Monkey King” monsters you control can attack your opponent directly.

There we go, now we are getting somewhere. This will very much help the Deck, though there are a few things that I would change. First I would make it to where the last effect affects only main Deck monsters, or the non-Link monsters. Obviously, I think that it would be a bit unfair if you could have 3500 ATK monsters attacking your opponent directly. Also, just for good measure, and considering how this is a LINK—1 monster with support, I would add the following:
Once per turn, if this card is in your GY because it was sent there this turn: [Effect]
It should still be powerful and very helpful for the Deck; I am just balancing it for a LINK—1 monster.

Princess:

If this card is Link Summoned: You can add 1 “Monkey King” card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Princess of the Monkey King” once per turn. Your opponent cannot target other “Monkey King” cards you control with card effects. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; return it to the hand, then draw 1 card.

Non-destruction with an extra draw is too good; you should remove that effect. Honestly, it probably would still be fine with only the return, but for good luck, you could add an LP gaining effect, like gaining LP equal to its Level x 200. Otherwise, good.

Prince:
If this card is Link Summoned: You can target 1 “Monkey King” monster in your GY, except “Prince of the Monkey King”; Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of “Prince of the Monkey King” once per turn. Your opponent cannot destroy other “Monkey King” cards your control with card effects. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle it into the Deck, then draw 1 card.

Same with Princess: replace the draw effect for something else. I have noticed that that that it seems like the rest of these Link monsters have effects that activate when they inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. However, considering how they have more than 1000 ATK, I am not sure how they are supposed to work, and there is a chance that my explanation on Jester may prove contradictory to the rest of the cards. We will just wait and see.

Queen:
If this card is Link Summoned: You can Special Summon up to 2 “Monkey King” Link monsters from your GY to your zones this card points to. You cannot Special Summon monsters during the turn you use this effect, except “Monkey King” monsters. You can only use this effect of “Queen of the Monkey King” once per turn. Other “Monkey King” cards you control cannot be banished by your opponent’s card effects. If this card inflicts exactly 1000 battle damage to your opponent: You can shuffle 1 card from your opponent's field and/or GY into the Deck, then draw 1 card.

The first effect is too much. Summoning one would be enough, but Summoning two without any restrictions (not being able to Summon other monsters except Monkey King monsters is not much of a cost) is a lot. How about a revision as the following:

If this card is Link Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 “Monkey King” Link monster from your GY to a zone this card points to, but it cannot attack or be used as Link Material for a Summon this turn.
The second effect is really kind of situational, since your opponent may not have any effects that banish. You can instead have it to where you take no battle damage from battles involving Monkey King monsters, or something of the like. Finally, as with Prince and Princess, remove the draw for something else.

King:

I would just change the entire structure of the card, since it is very much overpowered. Remember: not every card has to give you hand or field advantage, and having a LINK—5 monster shouldn't have any game-breaking effects.

I'll review the Spells/Traps next.

Territory:
Add 1 “Temple of the Monkey King” from your Deck or GY to your hand. You cannot activate Field Spells the turn you activate this effect, except “Temple of the Monkey King”. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Territory of the Monkey King” once per turn.

I would make it a SHOPT: a hard once per turn for 1 effect. For example:
You can only use each effect of “Territory of the Monkey King” once per turn.
Otherwise, it's good.

Temple:
If a "Monkey King" monster you control inflicts battle damage to your opponent, you can make that damage 1000. When either player takes effect damage, or when either player pays LP, it is treated as battle damage. During your Main Phase, if you control no monsters: You can Special Summon 1 “Monkey King” Monster from your hand, then draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of “Temple of the Monkey King” once per turn.

This is the heart of your Deck, I see. Well, it's not bad. There really isn't much to say other than that this is the card that will make the whole Deck viable. However, as I have stated before, not every card needs a draw effect. Remove the draw effect, and then it will be fine.

Super Power:
Target 1 “Monkey King” monster you control; double it’s current attack, also if it would inflict battle damage to your opponent for the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, it becomes exactly 1000. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Super Power of the Monkey King” once per turn.

SHOPT, as with Territory. Also, I would have it to where other monsters you control cannot attack during the turn you activate this effect, and if you wanted to boost it just a bit more, you can have it to where your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to the attack of the targeted monster.

Commands:

I would redesign the card, since not only is it hard to word, but this can go around some costs that are supposed to make the cards balanced. Include SHOPT as well.

Recruitment:
Add 1 “Monkey King” monster from your Deck to your hand. You cannot Special Summon monsters the turn you activate this effect, except EARTH monsters. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Recruitment of the Monkey King” once per turn.

SHOPT, then good.

Comeback:

Target 1 “Monkey King” monster in your GY: Special Summon it, then equip it with this card. If this card is destroyed, destroy the equipped monster. The equipped monster can attack your opponent directly. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Comeback of the Monkey King” once per turn.

How would a piece of equipment be called the "Comeback"? :classic_huh: Otherwise, SHOPT and good.

Scare Tactics:
If your opponent targets a “Monkey King” monster you control for an attack: Return all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls to the hand. If you control a “Monkey King” Link Monster and a “Monkey King” non-Link Monster, you can activate this card from your hand. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Scare Tactics of the Monkey King” once per turn.

I would return only the attacking monster; all Attack Position monsters seems overkill. Also, considering how the Main Deck Monkey King monsters are simply there for Link fodder, since they themselves have no good effects, you might want to reconsider what requirements are needed to activate the card from the hand. Don't forget SHOPT.

Poison Dart:
Negate the effects of 1 face-up monster your opponent controls until the end of the next turn. You must control a "Monkey King" monster in order to activate and to resolve this effect. If you control a “Monkey King” Link Monster and a “Monkey King” non-Link Monster, you can activate this card from your hand. If your opponent takes exactly 1000 battle damage while this card is in your GY: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Poison Dart of the Monkey King” once per turn.

Effect is fine, though I recommend you do the same as Scare Tactics for your hand conditions and SHOPT.

Final Thoughts:

I like it. I really do. You do not see too many battle-orientated Decks these days, and it is nice to see how you went about creating your own. I liked the consistent damage trope, and your card effects were not overly powerful, with just a few nerfs required here and there. However, you did have an apparent problem with having multiple draw effects, which brings about a bit too much consistency. I have already lectured you on that however. What I have not stated is that I think it might be more balanced if the damage inflicted were 800 instead of 1000. It should not be too much of a change, but it should make the whole thing a bit more fair for the opponent. I do believe that if you follow my advice for your cards, it will be better.