Sign in to follow this  
weeb

Quickdraw Kid

veouUCE.jpg

Artwork Source: "Billy" illustrated by Miyano Akihiro, for Gyakushuu no Fantasica.

Quickdraw Kid

LV3 | FIRE | Warrior/Tuner/Effect

ATK: 1000 – DEF: 200

Effect: During your Opponent's End Phase: you can discard this card; draw cards equal to the number of Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls +1, then shuffle cards from your hand into your deck equal to the number of Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls. You can only use the effect of "Quickdraw Kid" once per turn.

Design Notes: The logic behind this card is that if your opponent swarms the field and makes some huge unbreakable board (one that you might not be able to counter), this card allows you to refresh your hand and hopefully provide you with better tools to get back in the game. While this effect can be useful at any stage of the duel, I imagine this card is possibly the best in your opening hand when you’re going second.

To give an example, let’s say your opponent is going first and after a series of crazy combos they manage to Special Summon four big monsters by the end of their turn. You discard this, and since your opponent has four Special Summoned monsters, you draw 5 cards off this effect, and then you must put back 4. But, before you put back those 4, you have a total of 9 cards to choose from (your opening hand had 5, you discarded this card making 4, then you drew 5), so it allows you ditch bricks and hopefully end up in a better place you started out. In this manner, the card hopefully encourages more interactive play.

In a way, after thinking about it, it’s like some sort of weird cross between Maxx “C” and Magical Mallet. Of course, unlike Maxx “C”, you never go plus off Quickdraw Kid (and unlike Magical Mallet, it isn’t a minus either) – you always start out and finish up with the same number of cards in your hand. That’s in part why, while Maxx “C” is banned, I don’t believe this card would be banned. I also think this helps to give a little extra consistency to decks that might not have it, helping them compete against their meta counterparts.

If nothing else, it’s also a Tuner, as hand traps tend to be. I figure this gives the card a little extra utility, so it isn’t a total dead draw later on. I was actually a little hesitant to make it a Tuner (I didn’t want it to be too useful), but I figure if all those Ghost girls are Tuners, this should be fine too.

I’m interested to get feedback on this card, because this is just a random idea I had and I am not sure if it’s a ‘good’ idea or a ‘bad’ idea. And by bad idea, I mean, it’s either not as useful as I assumed it would be, or it may be too good. Being able to refresh your hand sounds pretty good to me, but then again, it is dependent on your opponent, so… I’m not sure either way. Let me know what you think.

Edited by weeb

Calling the card "Kid" makes little sense to me. I get it's a "Billy the Kid" reference, and yet this is no kid, but a damn fine gal.

I don't think it's that good, though. Maxx's appeal not only is punishing the opponent for going all-out with Special Summons, also it gives you the chance to draw into hand traps to stop any follow-ups if the opponent takes the Maxx C Challenge. Phantazmei can do the same to a lesser extent. This one, however, cannot do it, and that's a major difference because, although you do are given then chance to build it your hand for a big push or even an OTK in your upcoming turn to punish the opponent, if said opponent built a damn solid board, then that won't help you.

FIRE/Warrior Tuner with 200 DEF are really good traits, though. I don't think it's too much considering the effect.

3 hours ago, Darj said:

Calling the card "Kid" makes little sense to me. I get it's a "Billy the Kid" reference, and yet this is no kid, but a damn fine gal.

hah yeah, I hear you on that one. "Quickdraw Kid" was the first name I came up with, then I also had "Quickdraw Outlaw", but I changed it back when I felt like the rhyme was kind of corny. But then again, we do have card names like "Toadally Awesome," so maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the corn. 

3 hours ago, Darj said:

I don't think it's that good, though. Maxx's appeal not only is punishing the opponent for going all-out with Special Summons, also it gives you the chance to draw into hand traps to stop any follow-ups if the opponent takes the Maxx C Challenge. Phantazmei can do the same to a lesser extent. This one, however, cannot do it, and that's a major difference because, although you do are given then chance to build it your hand for a big push or even an OTK in your upcoming turn to punish the opponent, if said opponent built a damn solid board, then that won't help you.

Yeah, these are all very good points. I was totally on the fence with this effect, whether it was good or not, when I made it. On one hand, I was comparing it to the once-a-staple Pot of Duality lets you replace itself for one card out of three, so a card that basically lets you stack your hand would be even better, so I thought. On the other hand, I wondered if it would be too situational to justify taking up its card slot. 

I knew it wouldn't be as good as Maxx "C" though. I was reading some discussion thread just the other day on another site about TCG/OCG differences, and people were talking about how that card's existence can really shake up a format. It's pretty wild, I wonder if the TCG will ever get it back.. most people I talk to about it don't even want it back. 

Ah, I'm getting off topic. Anyways, thanks for your feedback man. I'm off the fence now lol. 

It's alright as it provides you with Saryuja's hand-fix as a +0. I'm not entirely sure how much "during your opponent's End Phase" would hinder it though. It gives the card more room to be dead in wait. I'm inclined to say just make it able to activate whenever (still having a hard OPT clause of course).
Also, if you could give it Snow Rabbit's activation requirements, that'd be great, as you'd be able to search it off Flamvell Firedog and still have it be live. Or off Rekindling. Oh, and it'd be better if you could return the cards to the top/bottom in any way rather than shuffling them in, for the sake of obscure arrangement strategies getting a bone. 

If the ease of deck-thinning and/or the threat of "Called by the Grave" is a bit much (which it might not currently be judging by Dangers existing), another option is to return Quickdraw Kid to the deck instead of discarding it to activate its effect. That way the hand fix is a +0 and the Deck thinning is +0 as well. You just get better options without altering numbers, at expense of GY revival shenanigans. All suggestions into account it'd look something like:

(Quick Effect): You can place this card from your hand or field at the bottom of the Deck; draw cards equal to the number of Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls +1, then place cards from your hand into the top or bottom of the Deck in any way, equal to the number of Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls. You can only use the effect of "Quickdraw Kid" once per turn