Sign in to follow this  
Unlisted Member

Shinobird Magpie

Shinobird Magpie
WIND
✪✪✪✪ (Level 4)
[Winged Beast/Spirit/Effect]
ATK/1200 DEF/ 1300

Cannot be Special Summoned. If you control a Spirit monster, you can reveal this card in your hand; immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon this card. Once per turn, during the End Phase, if this card was Normal Summoned or flipped face-up this turn: Return it to the hand. (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card from your hand, and 1 other monster from your hand or field; Special Summon 1 "Shinobaroness Peacock" or "Shinobaron Peacock" from your hand (This is treated as a Ritual Summon).

Support To:

Design Notes:

Spoiler

So ideally I wanted to not only support Shinobird's Rituals, but their horrible non-Ritual monsters as well... Which is in itself not easy since most people in the right mind would not use those since there are much better Spirit monsters... Here is what I have so far from how it can support 2/3 of the non-Rituals:

• Shinobird Crane: Simply this would pair well with Crane because it can trigger Crane's really awkward draw unlike Nikitama.
  • Shinobird Pigeon: Well this is going to come off as convoluted (since Aratama, and even Preprepation of Rites exist), but this would allow Pigeon to trigger "Shinobird Power Spot" as quickly as possible.

As for "Shinobird Crow", eh, yeah.... This card won't help that one, except for an Xyz/ Link Play.

Edited by BGMキャノン

Ah I see your intention here.
When I first ran into Shinobaron, I thought it was a damn strong effect, but it's annoying, that there's no comfortable way to get the Ritual Spell Card back.
Giving everything back to hand is nice, but when your monster disappears during the End Phase and then your opponent can play his cards again... Well, good luck drawing another Shinobird's Calling next turn.
This card brings some nice variety to the archetype, especially because it's a Quick Effect and can be used during a chain or the Battle Phase to benefit from the tributing.

Anyway I don't really understand the first effect. Does it mean you can Normal Summon it in addition to your Normal Summon/Set this turn? I mean why else would a card need an effect to Normal Summon itself? ":D

Greets,

Messoras

#EDIT: By the way the other Shinob Spirit monsters are so goddamn useless to be honest...

Edited by Messoras

15 minutes ago, Messoras said:

Ah I see your intention here.
When I first ran into Shinobaron, I thought it was a damn strong effect, but it's annoying, that there's no comfortable way to get the Ritual Spell Card back.
Giving everything back to hand is nice, but when your monster disappears during the End Phase and then your opponent can play his cards again... Well, good luck drawing another Shinobird's Calling next turn.
This card brings some nice variety to the archetype, especially because it's a Quick Effect and can be used during a chain or the Battle Phase to benefit from the tributing.

Anyway I don't really understand the first effect. Does it mean you can Normal Summon it in addition to your Normal Summon/Set this turn? I mean why else would a card need an effect to Normal Summon itself? ":D

Greets,

Messoras

The first effect is to Normal Summon itself without taking up your standard Normal Summon. The text may seem weird in that it isn't "in addition to your Normal  Summon", but there is a reason... It can stack with other additional Normal Summons with the way it is whereas the "in addition to your Normal Summon" text is almost always followed up with " (You can only gain this effect once per turn) ". Meaning you can't stack another Normal Summon outside of your standard.

An example of such text being used is the Yosenju archetype: https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Yosenju

Just look at any of the "Kama" Yosenju and you'll see.

As for the reason of why it is ideal for it simply Normal Summon itself... You can immediately follow up with a play after searching it with "Aratama", and you can also stack its Normal Summon with "Nikitama".

Edited by BGMキャノン

You took a couple of unconventional approaches here.
Ways for Extra Normal Summoning in Spirits are welcomed. Normally cards that do so let you extra Normal Summon other monsters. Instead, this applies on itself. It's not bad, just not commonly seen. In fact, cannot think of any existing card that does this. Regardless, it works well. As pointed out in the opening thread, it combos with the -tama Spirits as well as Crane for the coveted card draw.
The second effect is an intriguing twist as well. AFAIK the Shinobird Rituals struggle a bit with recovering the Ritual Spells to Summon them again, and instead of addressing that, you go outside of the box with a monster effect that does the pseudo-Ritual Summon instead and is effectively a Ritual Spell with a body, and as a spell speed 2 at that. In find this amusing because Shinobird already break the mold of Ritual Summoning by banishing monsters as material substitutes, and yet they would further break that mold with something like this. Again, it's not a bad thing, and in a way Nekroz already did it with Zefrasaber so you don't have to worry about precedence an all of that, and even if Zefrasaber wasn't a thing, that's not an issue either because card making is about creativity too. Anyway, this effect being Quick surely puts it on a different level to Zefrasaber, and from what I know of Shinobirds, it would raise their ceiling notably. For instance, dropping Shinobaron or Baroness during your opponent's turn as pseudo-hand traps, and even when going second if you drew the required cards, would be no joke.
I'm conflicted about the card because, while I like the outside-the-box and creative effects, I'm not sure if you pushed it too far. Although to be fair, Shinobirds really need some support to get any more to the current top tiers.