Summer Darj

Traptrix Latrodecta - Experimental effect

aaTkP4V.png
Traptrix Latrodecta
EARTH/Insect/Link/Effect/Rating 2
ATK: 1800
Markers: bottom, left
2 Effect Monsters with different names
This Link Summoned card is unaffected by Trap effects. If this card is Link Summoned: You can target 1 monster in either player's GY with an effect(s) that activates (and starts a chain): Set it as a Normal Trap, and when you activate it, its effect becomes 1 of the effects that activates (and starts a chain) of that monster (your choice). If a card this card points to is sent to the GY: You can Set 1 "Hole" Normal Trap directly from your Deck or GY, also shuffle it into the Deck if it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of "Traptrix Latrodecta" once per turn.

Basically the first effect turns any monster with an activable effect into a Normal Trap. That means that if you were to Set Myrmeleo, when you activate it you get to choose either the Hole search effect, or the backrow removal effect. I'm not sure how this effect will interact with other effects or mechanics, though. For example, in Myrmeleo's case, IDK if it would be possible to negate it with Ash Blossom due to the Hole searching effect; I suppose it would because even if it's treated a Normal Trap now, Myrmeleo's card effects include a searching effect. Also note that this would skip costs, so effects that require the monster to Tribute itself (e.g. Rai-Oh, the Koa'ki rocks) can still be used. IDK if this would break a card out there for example by milling a monster with a pontent effect but hard to Summon and then Setting it with this effect, but I take an stance of "nice until proven naughty", if that's how the saying goes, on this effect.
I wanted to keep this card relatively splashable. In a pre-MR4 era I would have gone for a Rank4, but now with Links around, I figured a Link2 with conditions similar to the Knightmares would be the way to go. Also I went for a Traptrix monster because of the Trap effect, and Rafflesia as precedence of an splashable Traprix member. The second effect was added to further justify this card being a Traptrix.
Finally, Latrodecta stems from Latrodectus, the genus that includes black widows, following the pattern of Atrax' name. Moreover, 1800 is yet another nod to Atrax, as a fellow spider-based Traptrix.

Thoughts?

So it is definitely a break away from the mold...

My take away from this is... While Continuous Effects are out of the question, and you explained how Quick Effects work (Koaki stun). Genuinely how would you implement the Trigger Effects?

For example, Traptrix Myrmeleo triggers off of being Normal Summoned or being Special Summoned. In the event that it becomes a Normal Trap, do you just omit the condition in which it is originally triggered?

9 hours ago, BGMキャノン said:

So it is definitely a break away from the mold...

My take away from this is... While Continuous Effects are out of the question, and you explained how Quick Effects work (Koaki stun). Genuinely how would you implement the Trigger Effects?

For example, Traptrix Myrmeleo triggers off of being Normal Summoned or being Special Summoned. In the event that it becomes a Normal Trap, do you just omit the condition in which it is originally triggered?

In that case of Myrmeleo, basically it becomes a chainable Normal Trap with the effect:
Activate 1 of these effects:
- Add 1 "Hole" Trap from your Deck to your hand.
- Destroy 1 Spell/Trap

Although I have been thinking on the cases of Rai-Oh and Koa'ki rocks. If this card's effect is intended to ignore costs and conditions, then the condition of responding the the activation of an effect or a Summon would also be skipped, thus IDK if mechanically speaking those effects can be turned into chainable Normal Trap effects. Unless the PSCT is clear enough to enable that.

Also I now lean towards limiting the first effect to targeting Level 4 or lower monsters, otherwise it can get messy with big or ED monsters. E.g. I'm guessing it wouldn't be amusing to Set any of the Guardragon Links to re-use their effects during the next turn.

5 hours ago, A Crap Guide to CC said:

In that case of Myrmeleo, basically it becomes a chainable Normal Trap with the effect:
Activate 1 of these effects:
- Add 1 "Hole" Trap from your Deck to your hand.
- Destroy 1 Spell/Trap

Although I have been thinking on the cases of Rai-Oh and Koa'ki rocks. If this card's effect is intended to ignore costs and conditions, then the condition of responding the the activation of an effect or a Summon would also be skipped, thus IDK if mechanically speaking those effects can be turned into chainable Normal Trap effects. Unless the PSCT is clear enough to enable that.

Also I now lean towards limiting the first effect to targeting Level 4 or lower monsters, otherwise it can get messy with big or ED monsters. E.g. I'm guessing it wouldn't be amusing to Set any of the Guardragon Links to re-use their effects during the next turn.

Well, in that case...  I actually love the idea considering it warps the nature of the effects of monsters it turns into Normal Traps. I am trying to fathom as much of the possibilities from the card pool as I can... Haven't found anything problematic... Yet.

EDIT: Except this win condition on legs https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Flying_Elephant

Although I am not sure how it would interact with this card considering the bullet effect. Would you have the option to ignore the conditions and have Chainable trap that would read "You win the Duel."?

Edited by BGMキャノン

18 hours ago, BGMキャノン said:

Well, in that case...  I actually love the idea considering it warps the nature of the effects of monsters it turns into Normal Traps. I am trying to fathom as much of the possibilities from the card pool as I can... Haven't found anything problematic... Yet.

EDIT: Except this win condition on legs https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Flying_Elephant

Although I am not sure how it would interact with this card considering the bullet effect. Would you have the option to ignore the conditions and have Chainable trap that would read "You win the Duel."?

In the case of Flying Elephant, the card in theory would gain the entire bullet effect, conditions included. But as a Normal Trap instead of a monster, it cannot even battle, so it should be safe from abuse.