Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy

Santa's Reindeer Drawings

A couple of them need a couple things added before inking, and these are meant to serve as potential card art (even though I don't have anything thought out game-wise to use them on).

# 9 Rudolph
WHhY976.jpg

# 8 Blitzen
d7dK2gJ.jpg

# 7 Donner
mob5zpw.jpg

# 6 Cupid
zGxjp63.jpg

# 5 Comet
xpJCoo1.jpg

# 4 Vixen
lJnfkJg.jpg

# 3 Prancer
2QbyOze.jpg

# 2 Dancer
(pending)

# 1 Dasher
OEUPi6S.jpg

- - - - -

Non-colored:

Spoiler

- - -

Dasher
J0L48Zo.jpg 

Dancer
bSX1JWo.jpg

Prancer

KSPYtpO.jpg

Vixen

3byCwLN.jpg

Comet

qZOu0AL.jpg

Cupid

1jbKYEW.jpg

Donner

GsLOnAR.jpg

Blitzen

e7OcNoY.jpg

Rudolph
la8dKil.jpg

Edited by Sleepy

SO CUTE

Dasher, Comet, and Blitzen are my my favorites for sure. I really like how you separated them each. Very cute. And I like that they're sorta chubby looking too lol

All of them look so cute, Looking forward to seeing them all colored. I didnt notice at first, but I like they all have different horn shapes that fit their names and themes. If I had to pick a top favorite, I lean towards Blitzen: I like its sitting pose and expression of marvel xD
It would be followed by Prancer and Dancer, which bet will look better once they are colored.

Sakura from former YCM would be proud. XD

I must say I love how some of the snow flakes are following the form of Comet... It really captures the motion of the him. I feel though as if you can emphasize this more on him and some of the others like Donner having the snowflakes around him go more horizontal a long with him in the image. Some of them don't need as much as their motion is very subtle like Cupid.

Aside from that great lighting, concept, and ways of distinguishing them from one another (e.g. different antlers and elemental/conceptual effects around them)

Edited by BGMキャノン

I updated the OP with most reindeer. I only lack Dancer the second reindeer, which I had colored already but I messed it up trying to make it have a dark blue glow similar to the others and somehow ended up with a dark blue-green-ish deer with super saturated inking that's pretty much beyond a fix. I'll post it down here in the comments but I'll be looking into retrying it for the OP.....

Spoiler

73T4ydX.jpg

Vixen and your current version of Dancer certainly standout from the rest with their fur colors... Not necessarily a bad thing, but there is a pretty consistent motif going there with the group... Although I see that all the members of the groups share a relationship with their name and design, so I at least understand why Vixen is crimson though considering that one of the definition of vixen is a female fox. Additionally, her tail certainly resembles the essence of a fox. I still am partial on the idea her fur being the same with the rest of the reindeer, and perhaps find an alternative means to represent the essence of a fox in a different way. But, I also understand that could be quite a challenge as I wouldn't have an idea on how I would do that myself.

As for Dancer, well I know you are re-doing the color so I don't really have much say for criticism ther, but I do have a few things to mention, nonetheless. One thing that is bothering me about him is that he seems off-centered compared to the rest. While the others are either scaled in the common points of interest (going by Rule of Thirds) either by their body or visual effects, he kind of shies away from that. Maybe scale him a little bit larger to cover the left side or add 1 more musical note just to the left of him. Another thing is that  all the other reindeer have monochromatic symbols and aura around them (except Rudolf but he is kind of expected to the the exception to the group) while this guy has 3 different colored musical notes and no aura. It really sets him astray from the theme. Maybe try to make the music notes the same color followed by a similar colored aura.

One final thing is that after revisiting Rudolf, I notice he doesn't have any underbelly shading of any sort whereas all the others have some from lighting around their form from their aura. I think it would only define the form of the body better if you added some subtle shading.

Regardless, though keep up the good work... I still really like what you got going on here.

Edited by BGMキャノン

54 minutes ago, BGMキャノン said:

Vixen and your current version of Dancer certainly standout from the rest with their fur colors... Not necessarily a bad thing, but there is a pretty consistent motif going there with the group... Although I see that all the members of the groups share a relationship with their name and design, so I at least understand why Vixen is crimson though considering that one of the definition of vixen is a female fox. Additionally, her tail certainly resembles the essence of a fox. I still am partial on the idea her fur being the same with the rest of the reindeer, and perhaps find an alternative means to represent the essence of a fox in a different way. But, I also understand that could be quite a challenge as I wouldn't have an idea on how I would do that myself.

As for Dancer, well I know you are re-doing the color so I don't really have much say for criticism ther, but I do have a few things to mention, nonetheless. One thing that is bothering me about him is that he seems off-centered compared to the rest. While the others are either scaled in the common points of interest (going by Rule of Thirds) either by their body or visual effects, he kind of shies away from that. Maybe scale him a little bit larger to cover the left side or add 1 more musical note just to the left of him. Another thing is that  all the other reindeer have monochromatic symbols and aura around them (except Rudolf but he is kind of expected to the the exception to the group) while this guy has 3 different colored musical notes and no aura. It really sets him astray from the theme. Maybe try to make the music notes the same color followed by a similar colored aura.

One final thing is that after revisiting Rudolf, I notice he doesn't have any underbelly shading of any sort whereas all the others have some from lighting around their form from their aura. I think it would only define the form of the body better if you added some subtle shading.

Regardless, though keep up the good work... I still really like what you got going on here.

Thank you so much. I'm actually struggling with it so giving this feedback is a godsend to me.
Dancer was meant to have an aura but IDK why I thought it was a good idea to use what I used since it pretty much blended with the background xD
I think blue was a bad idea for it, but I am not sure what the best color would be for it. Thankfully I drew it using a light box to trace the sketch into paper that could withstand the markers so I can just pull out the sketch and do it once more haha. 

I will try to edit Rudolph like such. To be honest he was not intended to come out different but was kinda expected to since it is the first one I colored (and I wish I had given it a bigger glow that overshadowed the auras I'd put the others into since that's kind of his thing). I also think I didn't give it enough dark shaded areas like the others in general so it looks a little blander. I'll work on the belly bit too xP

I need to look up Vixen's definition, if it has another meaning I could probably take it ^^"
Then again, I think I'll just add details to Rudolph and rework Dancer for now. Else I'll start procrastinating on the fixes xD

Just thought up one brainstorm idea to pitch in for Vixen (since the other definitions of Vixen are well...  I don't think they will help you much. ^^" Of course, you are free to find that out for yourself)

So what if you made her visual effect/ symbols fox paw prints, and conform her fur color with the rest of the reindeer.

Edited by BGMキャノン