Sign in to follow this  
Phantom Roxas

Scarred-Eyes Archfiend Darkness Dracolich

yD5okj6.png

1 “Red-Eyes” Zombie monster + 1 “Archfiend” monster
If this card is Fusion Summoned using a Synchro Monster(s) as Fusion Material: You can add 1 "Zombie World" from your Deck or GY to your hand. All monsters your opponent controls lose 100 ATK/DEF for each Zombie monster on the field and in the GYs. Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects during the Battle Phase. If a Zombie monster(s) is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can Special Summon 1 Zombie monster from either GY to your field, and if you do, you can inflict damage to your opponent equal to its original ATK, and if you do that, banish it face-down during the End Phase. You can only use each effect of "Scarred-Eyes Archfiend Darkness Dracolich" once per turn.

Version 1

Spoiler

MeHEoPm.png

Scarred-Eyes Archfiend Darkness Dracolich

Level 9 DARK Zombie/Fusion/Effect

ATK/3200 DEF/2500

“Red-Eyes Zombie Necro Dragon” + 1 Level 6 “Archfiend” monster

Must be Fusion Summoned. All monsters your opponent controls lose 100 ATK/DEF for each Zombie monster on the field and in the GYs. Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects during the Battle Phase. When another Zombie monster is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can Special Summon 1 Zombie monster from either player's GY to your field, and if you do, you can inflict damage to your opponent equal to its original ATK, and if you do that, banish it face-down during the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Scarred-Eyes Archfiend Darkness Dracolich" once per turn.

With as many Red-Eyes as there are, I feel that some of them should be streamlined, especially since the main criticism that I hear is that they have no singular strategy. This is meant to be a mix of both Red-Eyes Zombie Necro Dragon and Archfiend Black Skull Dragon, though favoring the former more than the latter.

Edited by Phantom Roxas
Added revision of the card.

Looks solid. It may not pack a built-in protection like beaters want to last a bit longer in nowadays' formats, but the Battle Phase stun and the big potential damage it can put on board should make up for it. Please consider giving it Dragon as its original Type, and make it a Zombie by effect, so Zombies can have Dragon's Mirror as a tech option. The revival effect can be improved by not making it not miss timing. ("If...: You can").

The Battle Phase stun was inspired by Maju Kaiser Garzett, since I felt it was the most direct upgrade of Archfiend Black Skull Dragon's effect. I'll consider making it a Dragon that could be treated as a Zombie, since I did have Zombie World in mind for what this could be compatible with (In which case it might not need its own effect to be treated as a Zombie), so I like your point about Dragon's Mirror. I've never been good at understanding timing issues, but I see your point, and "If" would be consistent with the full effect.

At first I saw the name and I was like "RED EYES FUSION MY DUDE" but then I realized you used the Synchro and my hype died a little bit. Honestly I'm failing to see the value this card adds compared to its synchro original. The Zombie World synergy is there, sure, but it's there with the synchro. I guess you could go out of your way to use Extra Foolish to mill your Synchro and then mirror it, but that's a ton of effort for not much reward.

So yeah, I think using the vanilla Red-Eyes Zombie Dragon as the mat would honestly be an improvement over the synchro, just because the REF synergy is there, but otherwise I ain't seein it.

Zombie Necro Dragon's ATK only applies to itself, so changing it to a drain on the opponent does far more to cripple your opponent, and I think the burn damage does add value, but I see your point that using the Synchro instead of the base Zombie Dragon makes it feel less rewarding.

EDIT: Revised the card with the following changes:

• Changed the initial type to Dragon so that it can synergize with Dragon's Mirror as well as Zombie World.
  • Rather than specifically requiring Zombie Necro Dragon, you can use either of the Zombie Dragons to summon this, so that covers the REF synergy.
  • Removed the Level restriction for the Archfiend material so that are other options are easier to splash into any deck this card may fit in.
  • To retain the idea behind this being a Synchro Fusion, there is an added ability to search Zombie World. The effect applies if you use any Synchro monster used as the material, so you're not limited to using Zombie Necro to benefit from the effect, though the phrasing of this effect felt awkward to me, which leads to me my next point.
  • Some grammatical touch-up to include "Synchro Monster(s)" and "Zombie monster(s)", which should fix some timing issues.
Edited by Phantom Roxas

Oh, my bad, it required the Red-Eyes Zombie Synchro. Dunno why I thought it was the maindeck version. Anyway, that was addressed and it is much more accessible now.
A little buff that occurs to me is activating Zombie World directly, on the off chance you Summon it during the opponent's turn, through let's say Necro Fusion or Super Poly, and have a disruptive effect during its turn.

Edited by Darj

I did consider that, but I think searching it is enough. There do need to be some limits here, and like you said, summoning it during the opponent's turn would be an off-chance, so ultimately I don't think it would be worth it.