Trickstar Eryngoddess

Trickstar Eryngoddess
LIGHT
[Fairy/Link/Effect]
Link Number 3
Link Markers: N, SW, S
ATK/ 2400

2+ "Trickstar" monsters

When this card is Link Summoned: You can either inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each card in their hand, or have them gain 200 LP for each card in their hand. You can activate each of the following effects of "Trickstar Eryngoddess" per turn, and only once that turn.

* While your LP are lower than your opponent's (Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; destroy it, then if that card was a monster, inflict damage to your opponent equal to it's original ATK.

* While your LP are higher than your opponent's (Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; negate its effects until the end of this turn, and then if that card was monster, your opponent gains LP equal to it's original ATK.

Support To:

Flavor Notes and Wordplay:

Spoiler

So to coincide with the Trickstar's motif of flowers, this one would be based on a blue flowering plant known as eryngium, which is also known as "eryngo", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eryngium

Additionally, another motif it matches with the archetype,  in terms of the Link monsters, is that the name references a heaven or hell based entity being "goddess".

Wordplay:

Eryngo + Goddess = Portmanteau

Edited by BGMキャノン

IDK if Trickstars deserve something like this considering even today they still have an impact at least as an engine, but I like this one regardless. Gives them proactive disruption, I like how it both stays flavorful with LP interaction, and brings an interesting dynamic with the 2 effects. Only 2 things: I would give it a Dragon Ruler OPT clause to the 2 effects so you can't use both in the same turn for effective +2s, forcing you to choose and be smart with the effect you apply and mind the LPs.
The other thing is using "goddess" for the name. This is more of a nitpick but, while flavorful, I don't feel it's appropriate for a Link3. Instead I would expect it on a Trickstar Link4+ big boss. If possible I would look for another name of a heaven/hell entity.

3 hours ago, Darj said:

IDK if Trickstars deserve something like this considering even today they still have an impact at least as an engine, but I like this one regardless. Gives them proactive disruption, I like how it both stays flavorful with LP interaction, and brings an interesting dynamic with the 2 effects. Only 2 things: I would give it a Dragon Ruler OPT clause to the 2 effects so you can't use both in the same turn for effective +2s, forcing you to choose and be smart with the effect you apply and mind the LPs.
The other thing is using "goddess" for the name. This is more of a nitpick but, while flavorful, I don't feel it's appropriate for a Link3. Instead I would expect it on a Trickstar Link4+ big boss. If possible I would look for another name of a heaven/hell entity.

I feel as if Trickstar doesn't really have enough disruption on its own to play it pure so there is kind of a reason I want there to be a possible "juggling" interaction between both the effects. While it could be excruciating in some scenarios, you could bait it with S/T that could possibly threaten it leaving no change in the difference of LP,  or you could use monsters with really low ATK that threaten it (e.g Thousand Eyes Restrict) that would make the difference change negligible. So it is sort of easy to at least prevent her for pulling off another bullet effect per turn.

And the goddess portmanteau... Well shit. I didn't think that one through. I mean I could make her Link 4, but I think Link 3 for a xenophobic disruption is too good of a sweet spot to give up. Well back to the thesaurus.

Don't make it Link4+, Link3 is just fine. Just find a different name.
Trickstars do have disruption with Reincarnation, Corobane and Light Stage for reactive backrow removal, so I do think being able to use the 2 effects of this card in the same turn may be pushing it. It's not fair from a design standpoint either, as it is  can be basically a +2 per turn in most instances.

Edited by Darj