Sign in to follow this  
Unlisted Member

Homefront Retaliation

Homefront Retaliation
[Counter Trap]

When a Spell/Trap, or monster effect is activated: Banish 10 cards from the top of your Deck, face-down; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card. You can activate this card from your hand by banishing 10 cards from the top of your Deck, face-down.

Edited by BGMキャノン

I think the main edge this has over the Solemn cards is the fact you can activate it from your hand,  but if I understand it correct you end up banishing 20 cards in total if you do it that way? 10 for the in-hand condition, and 10 for the regular cost, right? 

I think in those 'going second' situations, I'd rather just stick to something like Impermanence even though it only deals with monster effects, because I'm trying to think of a card the opponent could possibly activate (particularly on the first turn) that would make me want to banish 20 cards out of my deck. 

That said, I could see this working in all-or-nothing OTK decks where you know you're going to win this turn, this card could definitely be a solid surprise to seal your victory when your opponent tries to stop you. In those types of situations, the card could say "banish every card in your deck" and of course it would still be worth it, if it means winning the duel. I've seen OTK-based decks run Red Reboot for the same reason, and this is even more versatile than that. 

That all aside, even if it didn't have that 'from the hand' ability, it would still be a strict upgrade over, say, Dark Bribe for example, in that I think more players are willing to banish ten cards off their own deck versus letting their opponent draw 1. So I think this card is good and it would see competitive use. 

This is too close to being a staple in nowadays meta, IMO. It's good when going both first and second, even better at the former case because if you didn't negate any opponent's hand trap during the opponent's turn, you get to Set it and skip banish-milling 10 cards. Regardless, nowadays duels are so short and the first turns are so critical that banish-milling 10~20 cards matters less, as Pot of Desires demonstrates every now and then. One could argue that the card being dead late game is a drawback but, as stated before, duels are so short that such scenario is less common. Not to mention that other competing Counter Traps, namely Solemn Warning and Strike, have a similar risk, when your LP become so low you cannot pay for them.
The only decks that may have second thoughts running this are those that main Pot of Desires, or mill-happy decks such as Lightsworns. Otherwise, this should be a solid card to run, even at 3 because that increases the odd of drawing into it earlier, and remaining copies most likely will end up banish-milled anyway, reducing the chances of dead-drawing them.

2 hours ago, weeb said:

I think the main edge this has over the Solemn cards is the fact you can activate it from your hand,  but if I understand it correct you end up banishing 20 cards in total if you do it that way? 10 for the in-hand condition, and 10 for the regular cost, right?

To answer the question, yes, it banishes an additional 10 if activated from the hand, being 20 total. Otherwise, just 10 if activated from field.