Blake

Alterity [OOC/Accepting/Not Started/PG-16]

A world where time has begun to stand still. Everything you see seems stuck just as dawn began, the sun peeking over the eastern horizon, while the moon froze before fully descending into the west.

You just woke up in what seems to be the middle of nowhere. Most, if not all, of your memories are gone. You can tell you're in the wrong place, but the way that it's wrong feels strange. You may innately recall abilities you possessed in the past, but they may not respond as you feel they should. Some will respond, others will backfire, still others may act uniquely. Do you need these abilities? Time would tell, but... that phrase seems less than apt here.

You were found by a cloaked being in the wastes, beckoned to follow them with a voice whose gender you could not discern. No attempts to force your action, only an offer and a promise to wait on you until you needed them. They asked questions as you walked with them- Your name. Your age. What you remembered. They did not offer such answers in return. Instead, they explained this world. They referred to this world as "Equinox", a world where the further east you went, the brighter it was, and the further west, the darker. They did not lead you either way, instead leading you north. They shared food with you from a pouch, just bread and water, explaining their job was to find people like you who just arrived. No one knew why people arrived like this, or where they were from, but... someone had to take care of them.

After a surprisingly short eternity of hiking over a wasteland dune, a city appeared on the horizon.  Its western side seemed to have a small port jutting into a body of water, while the eastern side faced a forest. It felt like home... it felt uncanny. The cloaked figure took you to what seemed like a mix of an inn straight out of a fantasy with a modern hotel. They handed over what looked to be a bundle of nuts, fruit, or herbs to the receptionist, before coming back to you. They handed you a card and bowed slightly.

"Got you a room. It's paid for about a week... But if you find yourself sticking around long enough, come work with me. I promise that helping people out is more fulfilling than I made it look."

-----

Alterity is aimed to be a... shorter RP. At least, the end point isn't solidly set in stone. It is intended to last maybe a real world year, but shorter or longer could end up occurring.

Your character would be a character you have previously played, with reference. This can even be a character you controlled as a host or DM, so long as you are fond of the character you pick. They do not have to be the same age that they were during that story, but you’ll have to convince me to make them younger and supply an appearance.

The cast will likely be small. I'd go so far as to say no more than 5 people plus the cloaked figure. Questions about them or the area as a whole are welcome.

Figuring out where you are now. Why you’re there. Why time is frozen, perhaps? And while you’re at it, regaining your lost memories, which may very well answer all the earlier questions.

It’s a mystery story. Your main job is helping people who have found their way to this world, but it isn’t the goal. It is a means to an end.

https://discord.gg/dbZXdX99yv

App

If you have a pre-existing app, post it, then note any changes you would like to make. If the character is being adapted from elsewhere, i need you to give me their name, age, biography, snippet of personality, and as much info as possible on them.

If I already know the general details of a character because I hosted or co-hosted the RP in question, I can handwave the app the same as if you had a written one.

Please, keep in mind, your character has what amounts to a form of amnesia. Practical knowledge may remain, maybe even some identification knowledge such as their race, if it is not human, but overall very little of their life remains. They will be working on finding themselves again as the RP goes on. How do you think they would change in such a situation, personality and abilities, if any?

Combat will not be a focus, but it will happen. You do not have to have a character with any sort of magic or abilities, but they are also completely fine to have and may aid you.

Database

Equinox
The small planet your characters find themselves on. Equinox is much like the Earth many of them know, yet unlike it. It is often referred to as "uncanny", because of its ability to seem both familiar and alarming at once. It seems to have always been inhabited by intelligent species, but there is no signs of civilizations that are more than a few decades old... Perhaps an effect of time being frozen? Or something else entirely?
The western half of the world is in an eternal night, while the eastern hemisphere is bathed in eternal sunlight. It isn't uncommon for residents of this world to set their own "days", by traveling between the hemispheres. Even walking, you could go from total night to total day in what seems to be only a couple hours. It's as if the land warps around you as you walk, making your destination come closer... Thought it is said newer Sojourners often do not experience this if they travel alone, with long time residents serving as guides for this purpose.

The world's logic doesn't seem quite consistent, either. Some have seen dragons flying about, while others have found robots wandering. Still more have found forests that seem devoid of any fauna.

There are many settlements, but there are three especially notable ones, with Anthelion in the west, Zenith in the east, and Solstice in the center.

Solstice
The 'capital city' of Equinox, located at the center of the day/night divide. Its size is roughly equivalent to Vatican City, with a population around 1200. It is in the northern part of this small planet. It does not have a currency of note, instead working on a trade system. There are vouchers that can be obtained by trading, but it's mostly on a day-to-day basis. Supplying for each other's needs is common, although some businesses offer rather unfair rates.

It also has its own port, but the sea is rarely traversed. Reports of monsters, sudden monsoons, and other occurrences keep most away from it. Strangely, this has no impact on the city itself.

The city lives in eternal dawn, giving it a romantic look. At least, were it not so strange. Buildings from a range of worlds and times appear all around, such as the hotel you ended up being put up in. It is also the least "modern" of the major cities, though many settlements seem antiquated next to Solstice.

The cloaked person seemed to know many in the area, and you had learned that produce was the hardest thing to come by.

Anthelion
The "western capital", with a population of around 2000. While it does not stand for a different country or anything of the sort, residents don't travel to the east much, many barely even going to Solstice/ Venues with artificial sunlight are a commodity that a few go to, but they were not the hit people expected. Those who choose to stay and live in Anthelion enjoy the night and do not miss the sun. Doctors in the area prescribe vitamins to make up for the deficiency to many.

While the population is technically 2000, this is not an accurate number. Many call Anthelion somewhere in the city their home, where they rest their head, but they do not reside there beyond what is needed. This leads to it having quite the large residential district, while the city proper is closer to just the downtown of a larger city.

Instead, those who make their active populace is just under 400. Sojourners often temporarily stay, but venture on afterwards, which causes more issues with inflating the number.

Due to the sort that stick around being gloomy or sketchy, Anthelion has a somewhat poor reputation among residents of Equinox. It doesn't help that dangerous happenings seem more common on the dark side of the planet, which means that places out of the city lights are often seen as no man's land. The cold of night doesn't help much, either.

Zenith
The "eastern capital" with a population of 3500. It is the biggest city on Equinox, built to always be noon. It feels almost futuristic, with many areas designated to simulate night time. However, those areas are... expensive. Unlike the majority of the planet, Zenith does have a form of currency. It is not easily earned, with absurdly low rates on wages and rewards. Its towering buildings exist for those who can afford them.

Many flock to Zenith, seeking a fulfilling life under the sunlight, where it can shine brilliantly forever. Despite the low rate of success, the allure of Zenith continues to stand out to many, including many Sojourners.

It has many modern amenities ranging from upper class restaurants to movie theaters.

Sojourners
A class of people from elsewhere who came to this world with memory loss, including your player character. Many of them settle in and become residents of Equinox, but many go missing never to be seen again. The cloaked person who helped you came back the next day, explaining these concepts to you, as well as what they do.

They make their time by finding and helping Sojourners, lest they find themselves lost too soon. Equinox is a strange world, and it seems like Sojourners come from many different times and places... So best to make sure they're safe.

31 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

So I'm not very clear on what the RP is, uh...meant to be? Or what the characters would be doing I guess.

Figuring out where you are now. Why you’re there. Why time is frozen, perhaps? And while you’re at it, regaining your lost memories, which may very well answer all the earlier questions.

It’s a mystery story. Your main job is helping people who have found their way to this world, but it isn’t the goal. It is a means to an end.

Have just enough interest, so OOC now

W.I.P.

...And the Story Closes

Spoiler

Character Info

EWgLt3V.png

Cade Laurent

Appearance

Surprisingly enough, Cade hit a growth spurt in his early twenties, and grew to the stunning height of 5'7, being just a bit taller than he was when he was younger. His hair lightened in color over the years, even growing white streaks when he was in his mid thirties, something that didn't bother him much. He's often found rather disheveled, only putting the bare minimum of effort into his appearance when it isn't an occasion that would call for more.

Personality

Notably less distant than he was as a young adult, given his time spent learning how to really co-exist with other people. His overall focuses haven't changed though, he sees research as the best use of his time and is still found lugging around books that would give anyone else massive back problems. He did find it reasonable to make room for a gym membership, having gotten past his original view of it being a waste of his time.

He's much more willing to compromise on his view of things than he would have been in the past, purely because he actually cares enough to socialize beyond the bare minimum like when he was younger.

Combat Information

Books.

All of the original information still applies to him, but with a much more refined level of control compared to what he used to have. He spent most of the time practicing with it after all. He's gotten fine movements down to an art, along with the repair and reconstruction of damaged books. His weakness to fire still remains, reconstructing ashes is something that isn't feasible for him.

What's new is that he is capable of rewriting the words on pages to a degree. While someone who really knows what the paper is meant to say could feasible tell it was altered, it's nothing something most people would care to pay attention to, the marks of ink that didn't adjust properly are often written off as just misprints or errors, after all.

Original App

Theme

Still Making It Rain

Spoiler

shion.png?ex=662ee34e&is=662d91ce&hm=685

"Amnesia. Great. Just DANDY! ...alright, let's see what I do remember..."

Name: Shion Oomori. Like I'd forget my own name.
I think I had a friend I was adventuring with, too? ...no way. I must be gaslighting myself or something.

Appearance:

Spoiler

2003689_mD450wTU.png?ex=662ee34e&is=662d
made using Picrew #2003689

Height: 5'3"

The first thing residents and visitors of Equinox would surely note about Shion is the personal raincloud constantly hovering just over her head. Always present, and always active. To combat its presence, Shion is invariably decked out with a long yellow rain poncho, as well as a pair of black rain boots to keep her feet dry, in addition to any less waterproof clothes she may be wearing underneath.

I remember I hate wearing this crap, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I'm stuck needing to put up with it. At least it keeps me dry.

Personality:

Spoiler

At best, Shion can be difficult to get along with. She's bitter, antisocial, and exceptionally irritable. Add to being a natural introvert, the end result is that just getting Shion to acknowledge someone in a light that isn't wholly negative is already an uphill battle. This task is made much easier, however, if one knows the easiest ways to avoid earning her contempt. Don't ask her for favors, don't offer to help her, don't give her gifts, and above all else, never compare her to others. Respect her personal space and keep those rules in mind, and inevitably, she'll warm up to others in her own time.

Biography:

Spoiler

My past? Do you not know what amnesia is? I can't remember shit, and even if I could, I don't owe you a word of it!

Personal Raincloud:

Spoiler

Well, I remember this thing, unfortunately. Follows me like a toxic ex, and won't stop pissing buckets of rain on me. I can control it to some degree, but getting rid of it or making it stop is impossible. I remember trying a few things to shake it off - not that I know what they were - but obviously none of them worked. This has to be the worst superpower ever. Wait, do I even have superpowers?

As Shion recalls it, she's constantly tailed by a dark cloud about 4-5 feet in diameter. At all times, regardless of temperature, humidity, or any other factors, this cloud soaks Shion's immediate surroundings with heavy rain. While she can't dispel the cloud or put a stop to its constant barrage of water, she can control it to a small extent, being capable of increasing the size of the cloud or further amplifying the rain it produces.

Whatever. As long as it keeps people out of my business.

Misc:

The Last Stardust

Spoiler

"...a-a-as long as m-my star is on the r-r-rise...I-I'll be a-alright..."

Name: Jet Hoshimi (Lit. Hoshimi Jet 星美ジェト)
Appearance:

Spoiler

jethoshimifount.png?ex=663177d9&is=66302

Height: 5'9"

On his right arm, most people will see a strange mark on his arm, though it can namely be noticed when he rolls his sleeves up or whenever his power is active.

Personality:

Spoiler

Before, there was a time where Jet was simply a callous young man, no hope or kindness in his heart. It was only replaced by a survivalist attitude and being able to look out only for himself. However, as he grew older, his demeanor has started to slowly change. While he still retains that survivalist attitude, he's more open and outgoing, to the point of being friendly and even offering to help others when he can. Gone are the days of him being nothing more than a "good soldier", but then again...that kind of training doesn't go away.

Unfortunately, Jet still is dealing with his diagnosis of narcolepsy and still being incredibly exhausted. It has gotten better with time, but even still, some damages have retained in the young man's life...this happens to be one such thing. His speech patterns, although they had been getting better with time, still holds a bit of a stuttering issue. It may not be prevalent as it once was, but it's there to stay. Except when he gets dead serious, in these moments, it seems like it gets put on the back burner in order to emphasize his point.

Biography:

Spoiler

"I-I can't r-really remember m-m-much of anything. More l-l-like feelings...I-I had friends...I...I think... I want t-to think a m-m-m-motorcycle too..."

Power:

Spoiler

"I-I...remember I can do this...n-n-not much, but i-i-it's a feeling..."

Summoner
The power that Jet possess is a strange one. It's the ability to summon creatures and cast appropriate spells to assist then. They're familiar to him, though he only remembers that this was something he could do...though any time he does so, the mark on his arm gives off a faint glow and even a slight hum.

The creatures he summons tend to be of draconic origin with a few even being avain like.

Miscellaneous:
Jet's Theme | Battle Theme

Edited by Chaos Sonic