a1joryj

superheavy samurai Superheavy Samurai Mitsunari

7GPQza3.png

(Ignore the Link part, that was a typo I accidentally left in lol)

Superheavy Samurai Mitsunari
Rank 4, Machine/Xyz/Effect. 1000/2600
2 Level 4 "Superheavy Samurai" monsters

This card can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation. Once per turn, if you have no Spell/Trap cards in your GY, you can detach one Xyz Material from this card: add 1 "Soul" Superheavy Samurai monster from your deck to your hand.

Superheavies are one of my personal favorite archetypes, and during their first few years of introduction I had a lot of success with them in competitive play. Often times though, I would wish I had access to an archetypal Superheavy Samurai as sometimes the other Rank 4s either didn't offer what I needed at the time, or were inaccessible due to Trumpeter barring off all but Superheavies from being Special Summoned. The obvious play for summoning this thing that comes to mind is summoning Scales and using it to bring back Blue Brawler or Soulpiercer. The ability for the card to recycle old 'Soul' SHS cards like Soulpiercer, Soulbuster Gauntlet, Soulfirearmor and ESPECIALLY Soulpeacemaker will really help keep the deck's momentum going, along with the Xyz monster itself being a 2600 body, and the effect to search upon dying to promote a comeback option is also something I find highly useful. 

25 minutes ago, a1joryj said:

Superheavies are one of my personal favorite archetypes

gong.png

(I spent 15 minutes making this stupid thing just to use it on this one post and probably never touch it again, because that's the kind of human being I am)

Let's do some card review, since I also quite enjoy playing SHS from time to time. The first thing that stands out to me about Mitsunari is that it seems to just be a Daihachi and Soulpiercer put together in the same bundle. Which is neat, but Daihachi equiped with Soulpiercer does Mitsunari's job better than Mitsunari does. Setting that aside since Daihachi still hasn't hit TCG, this could make a spiffy combo extender or something if you need another Soulpiercer and no way to search it, or a decent monster to end your combo on to grab a Soulhorns/Soulbuster/whatever. A 2600 body isn't that big, but in conjunction with some other boys, this will certainly hurt if it attacks directly.

The question is mostly in if it's worth investing two monster, and my personal answer is it isn't. You could and probably should use Soulpiercer as one of the materials, detach it for a search, then get a bonus search from Soulpiercer going off, which is pretty nice. With no way to protect itself short of searching one of three valuable copies of Soulfire Suit, though, I can't say it's something I'd go out of my way to summon. If I have two Level 4 monsters, I'd rather figure out some way to summon a Trumpeter then synch up into Susanowo. If SHS had more Level 4 monsters with GY effects (Gigagloves, Flutist, looking at you two specifically), this would be a lot more worth it to summon as-is.

From there it becomes the question of how to make this more worth summoning. Since Superheavy Samurai likes to hunker down and go all-in on the defensive play, replacing its on-destruction effect with some sort of protection (banish a Soul monster from your GY to prevent destruction?? idk; I don't design cards all that often) might not be a bad idea. Or making the detach a quick effect? But that's just my take; it's your card, do what you want with it. I'm not your dad.

Finally, while I'm here, some PSCT corrections, since there's a couple errors in yours that are bugging me and you forgot to add the on-destruction effect completely.

57 minutes ago, a1joryj said:

This card can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation. Once per turn, if you have no Spell/Trap cards in your GY: You can detach one Xyz Material from this card; add 1 "Superheavy Samurai Soul" monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can add 1 "Superheavy Samurai Soul" monster from your Deck to your hand.

(Yui's correction notes: A colon is used to indicate when an effect can be activated; a semicolon tells you what the cost is. ["Superheavy Samurai Soul" monster] is how you type it out rather than ["Soul" Superheavy Samurai monster], since "Superheavy Samurai Soul" is a sub-archetype, and archetypes must always be in quotation marks. See Evol and lswarm for an example of this in action with existing archetypes.)

Pretty good concept overall. I'm not sure if the archetype really wants or needs an xyz, but I can get behind the idea of trying to make one all the same.

@Yui First of all, major props to you for that edit, you are a wizard and that made my night LOL

Second, I do see your point, and I do like the idea of banishing Soul monsters from the GY to give it destruction immunity, that would be nice.