Flame Dragon

We have 2 YCMs and thats a problem

Question

8 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Flame Dragon said:

My issue with this is that while people join multiple forums those forums often serve different purposes and have different communities. This forum was set up to more or less be YCM, same community and same purpose, so this is a different case from most. 

This might sound cold and I don't mean it to but...In all honestly, I think all that we can do is see where people go and just leave it at that. There's a lot of people who refuse to go back to YCM and vice verse so it wouldn't be fair to try and push one entirely.

This isn't YCM it's NCM

On a serious note I don't think it's a problem. People join multiple forums all the time (hell RP has people in several RP specific forums and it's still active)

All this means is people can choose to stay there or come here.

This place has an active admin and that alone is worth more than anything YCM has to offer. Even if YCMaker was, through some miracle, able to pick up activity and do something more than when the site breaks, the trust in him is basically completely shattered at this moment.

At long as Neo YCM exists, I will be staying here. I have no desire to stay on a site where the admin is awol 99% of the time, and even if Tormented suddenly ditches this place too, I think I would still stay here by virtue of it not being as broken as YCM is.

Edited by Kayden North

13 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

This isn't YCM it's NCM

On a serious note I don't think it's a problem. People join multiple forums all the time (hell RP has people in several RP specific forums and it's still active)

All this means is people can choose to stay there or come here.

My issue with this is that while people join multiple forums those forums often serve different purposes and have different communities. This forum was set up to more or less be YCM, same community and same purpose, so this is a different case from most. 

2 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

This might sound cold and I don't mean it to but...In all honestly, I think all that we can do is see where people go and just leave it at that. There's a lot of people who refuse to go back to YCM and vice verse so it wouldn't be fair to try and push one entirely.

I think this is a totally fair take. My fear is that doing so will split what was already a small community that was already on the slower side.

The vast majority of the community joined up here. No one is forcing them to stay or threatening them.

And while it was only 5 people... I've never seen the mod team so unified. We worked on this site for days, testing things, discussing rules, making plans. We even dropped some hints along the way before the reveal. It was a great thing for us, and I feel like NCM benefited for it.

Losing YCM feels bad. There's a lot of memories there. I was 3rd highest poster and 2nd highest reps of all time, and I really wanted to become #1 in both with time. But that's not how life always works. Sometimes splits and changes happen. Sometimes they need to happen. A fresh start. A change of scenery.

That's what NCM is. We joke about it being "YCM2", but it's no more YCM2 than Deltarune is Undertale 2. It's just... different. Similar, but not the same. And that's okay.

The mod team stated that if the majority wished to go back, we would... but that's not where we find ourselves. And it's not a problem for things to split, if that time has come.

They're more surface details at the moment, but seeing there are some sections for specific card games, and given how things went down on YCM, I'm pretty happy with seeing Debates absent on NCM.

The way I see it, NCM is ostensibly an alternative to YCM, but I truly believe it has the potential form its own distinct identity.