Zaziuma

Overseer of Serenity

A LINK-3 Link Monster that plays around with using both Link Monsters and non-Link Monsters in combination, by boosting itself and other linked monsters, as well as producing Tokens through banishing.

dcyf86a-145ca1ba-ae3f-48ac-bd2b-c3b74192

2+ monsters
While this card is linked to both a Link Monster and non-Link Monster, this card gains 1000 ATK, you take no damage, also your linked monsters cannot be destroyed by battle. You can banish 1 Link Monster and 1 non-Link Monster from your GY; Special Summon 2 "Serenity Tokens" (Fairy/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 1500). These Tokens cannot be used as material for a Link Summon. You can only use this effect of "Overseer of Serenity" once per turn.

Edited by Zaziuma
Edited effect and Link Arrows

This seems pretty scary to be honest. With the 2-3 materials spent to summon her (that can use tokens) you get an additional 2 materials for Link summoning generic Links and Link climbing.

Perhaps make her require 3 monsters to summon? or put a limitation on what you can do with the tokens.

I agree with the above post, the card's Token production is a bit too good. We just go around to banning Grinder Golem and Tomahawk, and Dandy's been banned for like a year now. This is one of the Link 3s with most generic materials. The above post's suggestion would help balance it.

The card also has a troublesome set of arrows. You just put a Knightmare Phoenix to its right and you are all set for an Extra Link, and your card already provided 1/2 the materials for it, and the remaining Token is 1/2 the materials of your last U board card.

Agreed with the above, this card looks like trouble. The material requirements don't get any more generic, and provides 2 Tokens for extra laddering. It even facilitates Extra Links due to the upper left marker. The cheapest U-Link that comes to mind is Linkuriboh-->Phoenix-->this-->Hayate, although other Link2s such as Needlefiber will do, too.

2 hours ago, Darj said:

Agreed with the above, this card looks like trouble. The material requirements don't get any more generic, and provides 2 Tokens for extra laddering. It even facilitates Extra Links due to the upper left marker. The cheapest U-Link that comes to mind is Linkuriboh-->Phoenix-->this-->Hayate, although other Link2s such as Needlefiber will do, too.

Aren't Extra Links only able to be made if it actually makes a U-shape? Maybe I am misinformed, but I always thought you had to use at least 5 monsters, 2 in the Extra Monster Zones, 3 in the Main Monster Zones.

Just now, Zaziuma said:

Aren't Extra Links only able to be made if it actually makes a U-shape? Maybe I am misinformed, but I always thought you had to use at least 5 monsters, 2 in the Extra Monster Zones, 3 in the Main Monster Zones.

TCG confirmed Extra Links can also be done with diagonals.

" Link Monsters can be co-linked on diagonals, though at the time of this writing there are no Link Monsters whose Link Arrows point diagonally upwards. If at some point such Link Monsters were to exist, they could also be used this way."
Source: https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8355

1 minute ago, Darj said:

TCG confirmed Extra Links can also be done with diagonals.

" Link Monsters can be co-linked on diagonals, though at the time of this writing there are no Link Monsters whose Link Arrows point diagonally upwards. If at some point such Link Monsters were to exist, they could also be used this way."
Source: https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8355

Well, not sure if this is what they were referring to, think they mean using Up Left and Up Right, not this. Regardless, I didn't design it to support that anyway, so I'll change it around so that isn't going to be an issue.

4 minutes ago, Zaziuma said:

Well, not sure if this is what they were referring to, think they mean using Up Left and Up Right, not this. Regardless, I didn't design it to support that anyway, so I'll change it around so that isn't going to be an issue.

Huh, what are you not sure about? The article is about Extra Linking, and in the last paragraph they mention that diagonal co-links can also be used to arrange an Extra Link.

49 minutes ago, Darj said:

Huh, what are you not sure about? The article is about Extra Linking, and in the last paragraph they mention that diagonal co-links can also be used to arrange an Extra Link.

I literally said what I meant in the post. Read it again please.

14 minutes ago, Zaziuma said:

I literally said what I meant in the post. Read it again please.

I read and re-read it and still can't see what is unclear. What do you even mean with "not this" in that sentence?
For the record, what I wrote in apostrophes is a literal quote from the article.

Edited by Darj

50 minutes ago, Darj said:

I read and re-read it and still can't see what is unclear. What do you even mean with "not this" in that sentence?
For the record, what I wrote in apostrophes is a literal quote from the article.

"think they mean using Up Left and Up Right, not this."

37 minutes ago, Zaziuma said:

"think they mean using Up Left and Up Right, not this."

If I get this right, what you are saying is that you think Extra Link can only be U shaped, and from that article, V shaped, and you don't believe cards with just 1 upper diagonal can make Extra Link? Let me inform you that "U board" was a fan-made term, and that any chain of co-Links that range from an Extra Monster Zone to the other will be an Extra Link regardless of symmetry.

58 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

If I get this right, what you are saying is that you think Extra Link can only be U shaped, and from that article, V shaped, and you don't believe cards with just 1 upper diagonal can make Extra Link? Let me inform you that "U board" was a fan-made term, and that any chain of co-Links that range from an Extra Monster Zone to the other will be an Extra Link regardless of symmetry.

Hm, and this is fact? Unlikely that they would have mentioned it since it is not a thing that can happen in the game anyway right now, but seems like the way they wanted it to work was exclusively the U-shape, since that's what Decks are designed to do.

42 minutes ago, Zaziuma said:

Hm, and this is fact? Unlikely that they would have mentioned it since it is not a thing that can happen in the game anyway right now, but seems like the way they wanted it to work was exclusively the U-shape, since that's what Decks are designed to do.

During the first explanation of the Extra Link mechanic, they were careful with only bringing up the U shape combos as samples. No upper diagonal existed though so maybe that was why. They gotta try to ease things up little by little. At the start of the game the main samples of U boards involved Firewall, and Link 4s are a lot more expensive to play advantage-wise. Then later on we got Knightmares and could now Extra Link with Link 2 pieces. Then down the road they released the statement that Darj linked to, which does enable the V formation to be a thing.

Eventually they realized they could actually give us diagonal up arrows, but they did so on Link 1 (Sky Strikers) that can't possibly V-Extra Link for lack of a second arrow.
We have the card Flash Charge Dragon. I believe it's "can't Summon to its arrows" effect can be negated but am unsure as I have not found any real rulings of it (but modern day cards usually state those things). There's also a tip in its wikia (I know, not exactly an official source, but still) that you can give it to your opponent's center Main Monster Zone to get into a V Extra Link (granted that you can protect monsters from its trigger effect in the process). It is by no means a super convenient thing which is why it's not really used much, but it exists.

I think it best if you ask around if you have doubts that V Extra Link is a thing, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Edited by Sleepy

45 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

During the first explanation of the Extra Link mechanic, they were careful with only bringing up the U shape combos as samples. No upper diagonal existed though so maybe that was why. They gotta try to ease things up little by little. At the start of the game the main samples of U boards involved Firewall, and Link 4s are a lot more expensive to play advantage-wise. Then later on we got Knightmares and could now Extra Link with Link 2 pieces. Then down the road they released the statement that Darj linked to, which does enable the V formation to be a thing.

Eventually they realized they could actually give us diagonal up arrows, but they did so on Link 1 (Sky Strikers) that can't possibly V-Extra Link for lack of a second arrow.
We have the card Flash Charge Dragon. I believe it's "can't Summon to its arrows" effect can be negated but am unsure as I have not found any real rulings of it (but modern day cards usually state those things). There's also a tip in its wikia (I know, not exactly an official source, but still) that you can give it to your opponent's center Main Monster Zone to get into a V Extra Link (granted that you can protect monsters from its trigger effect in the process). It is by no means a super convenient thing which is why it's not really used much, but it exists.

I think it best if you ask around if you have doubts that V Extra Link is a thing, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Well, whatever is the case, it won't be a problem now, since I changed the card. Kind of wanted that Link Arrow combination since I don't think I have used it before, not use if I have used this one, but anywho, check the changes.

That is a lot better. Now the Extra Link capabilities are either about the same ones as a Knightmare Phoenix, or ones that require a formation of 6 co-Linked monsters.
Also, the Token not being usable for Links is great. Level 3 is not too bad for Synchro plays, and no other usage is really that much of a problem (Tribute Summon, Ritual Summon, Fusion Summon, cost fodder). This now warrants the generic materials a little better although the card is still powerful despite all the changes.