Sign in to follow this  
Unlisted Member

Trickstar Peony

Trickstar Peony
LIGHT
✪ (Level 1)
[Fairy/Effect]
ATK/ 500 DEF/ 800

You can Normal Summon 1 "Trickstar" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) If this card is Summoned: You can look at your opponent's hand, and choose 1 Spell/Trap Card  in their hand, your opponent Sets it (if any), and if they do, that card cannot be activated until end of this turn. You can only use this effect of "Trickstar Peony" once per turn. Each time your opponent Sets a card, inflict 200 damage to them.

Support To:

Flavor Notes and Design Notes:

Spoiler

Flavor wise it is suppose to stick to the theme in that each Main Deck monster represents some form of flower. In this ones case, it represents a peony https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peony

How this would help Trickstar effect wise:

• It offers a free Summon especially for the follow up of Trickstar Candina.
  • The force Set effect allows you to use the utility around the Field Spells, particularly Trickstar Light Stage and Trickstar Live Stage. It especially makes Live Stage more effective in first turn.
  • Also, makes Trickstar Divardis much easier to Summon.

Edited by BGMキャノン

Mechanic-wise cards in the hand cannot be targeted, or rather there is no precedence of an effect doing that as of now. An acceptable alternative is using the "choose" mechanic instead. In fact, there is no precedence of "looking at the opponent's hand" as a cost, but as an effect. So, you can very well skip the targeting part and integrate the "look" part into the effect.

Card and effect-wise, well, last time I checked Trickstars sometimes show up at a metagame level as an engine of Light Stage, Candina and Corobane, for the purposes of getting 2 monsters on board for a Link Summon, usually a Link2 such as Cerberus/Phoenix to follow-up into Mermaid. Thus, I imagine this card would both become an option to strengthen that engine. IDK if it would be worth to devote more to a Trickstar engine when its main purpose is fielding a Link2, but then Link3+ Summons could become more feasible, and yet if they really wanted to do that, there is already Lilybell as an option although it has the risk of being dead-drawn. In pure Trickstars, this card ought to be a go-to pick, though.
On top of that, this has an effect that IMO is deceptively potent: knowledge on the opponent's hand, and stunning a Spell/Trap. Cannot but compare it as an Spell/Trap-hurting version of Neo Spacian Dolphin with the benefits of being a Trickstar. Level 1 is neat for One for One and Linkuriboh plays, too.

All in all, a really good card for Trickstars, IMO, but I'm not sure if it's card they deserve due to their lingering, albeit diminishing, relevance in the meta.

I do appreciate the additional Summoning. Sure, Trickstars can Special Summon, but it's felt a little slow to me when compared to other archetypes. And it's Level 1, allowing you to access more of the Trickstar monsters like Divaridis; before this, the most you'd make that with is Lycoris. I would imagine the Spell/Trap effect is to help out or stall cards like Evenly Matched or Infinite Impertinance. All in all, I pretty nifty card for Trickstars. I really felt they needed a little more Summoning.