Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • Sign Up
  • 2
Yemachu

Improvements to the Card Maker

Question

Posted (edited)

The card maker makes it somewhat easy to create custom cards. It isn't flawless however, either due to missing features or poorly executed ones.

This topic is used to keep track of the community's suggestions for improving the card maker.

So what do you think can be improved on?

Edited by Yemachu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted (edited)

Suggestions so far:

  • Upload the generated card straight to an image hosting platform (for example: Imgur).
  • Update the card maker's templates to match the series 10 template (rectangular around the card's name).
  • Let the "Save" button download the generated card, as opposed to a .json file.
  • Rework the way "Types" are edited. Changing a Synchro monster to a Fusion monster doesn't update the type automatically for example🔗.
  • Make it possible to edit the card's circulation ("1st Edition", "Duel terminal") 🔗.
  • Add a project manager to the card maker 🔗.
  • Add a button to randomize the serial number 🔗. v1.1.6
  • Rework the auto resizing effect text so it no longer shrinks more than it needs 🔗. v1.1.7
Edited by Yemachu
Marked an issue as resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Suggestions:

-Adding Ultra Rare as a Rarity (at least the golden letters, if possible, I read that the optical effects would be quite hard)

- Adding a randomizer for the Serial Number

 

Other than that, I find your card maker absolutely flawless. I have no problem with the "type"-editing (it allows me from Germany to use the German words), and I find it incredibly useful to be able to easily download the .json file. Also a huge thanks for the pendulum-area - to be able to create about any card type with pendulum options really gives way to some cool possibilities. I do have a problem with the fonts when I'm using my laptop, but that's more of an personal hindrance and with the .json-files one that can be easily solved 🙂

Edited by ragnaryg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, ragnaryg said:

Suggestions:

-Adding Ultra Rare as a Rarity (at least the golden letters, if possible, I read that the optical effects would be quite hard)

- Adding a randomizer for the Serial Number

 

Other than that, I find your card maker absolutely flawless. I have no problem with the "type"-editing (it allows me from Germany to use the German words), and I find it incredibly useful to be able to easily download the .json file. Also a huge thanks for the pendulum-area - to be able to create about any card type with pendulum options really gives way to some cool possibilities. I do have a problem with the fonts when I'm using my laptop, but that's more of an personal hindrance and with the .json-files one that can be easily solved 🙂

Golden letters should be easy to add (when I have access to my computer; currently on vacation using my phone). Adding the optical effect isn't hard in terms of programming, but I need an image I can overlay that provides a believable effect. Creating such an image is where I'm somewhat stuck. Certain rarities also have an pattern that is influenced by the image; there are no plans fpr implementing such a feature.

Serial number randomization shouldn't be a big deal either (though they might overlap with existing cards). Will probably add it in the next update.

Regarding the json, the idea is to store the data in the downloaded image using a technique called stenography. In that case someone could continue working on their card by opening it again. There are however some issues with the amount of data that can be saved.

As for the card types, I don't intend to force it upon the user. I was thinking more along the lines of having checkboxes for the various sub-types (Tuner, Union, Effect, etc.), which get automaticlly appended in the correct order. This would include the card's type (and its pendulumness, which will probably share their checkbox). By not checking any of the boxes, it would function the same as it currently does. Though I'm not quite sure what to do in the case of Effect monsters, as two checkboxes could be responsible for adding the "effect" part.

Could upload image generated with your laptop (or a screenshot) so that I can get a better idea of what font related issue occurs? I have some ideas what the issue might be, but your description is currently quite vague.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 hours ago, Yemachu said:

Golden letters should be easy to add (when I have access to my computer; currently on vacation using my phone). Adding the optical effect isn't hard in terms of programming, but I need an image I can overlay that provides a believable effect. Creating such an image is where I'm somewhat stuck. Certain rarities also have an pattern that is influenced by the image; there are no plans fpr implementing such a feature.

Serial number randomization shouldn't be a big deal either (though they might overlap with existing cards). Will probably add it in the next update.

Regarding the json, the idea is to store the data in the downloaded image using a technique called stenography. In that case someone could continue working on their card by opening it again. There are however some issues with the amount of data that can be saved.

As for the card types, I don't intend to force it upon the user. I was thinking more along the lines of having checkboxes for the various sub-types (Tuner, Union, Effect, etc.), which get automaticlly appended in the correct order. This would include the card's type (and its pendulumness, which will probably share their checkbox). By not checking any of the boxes, it would function the same as it currently does. Though I'm not quite sure what to do in the case of Effect monsters, as two checkboxes could be responsible for adding the "effect" part.

Could upload image generated with your laptop (or a screenshot) so that I can get a better idea of what font related issue occurs? I have some ideas what the issue might be, but your description is currently quite vague.

Personally, I would be fine with just the golden letters (it's somewhat of an aesthetic thing ^^) Thank you for considering it and answering that quickly.

Yes, I read your comment about stenography, and it sound's awesome - I wish you the best of luck, for I have no idea how to implement it ^^

That would be fantastic, I get why a lot of users would like something like this, and your solution sounds quite clever. As for the "Effect"-problem - I'm not quite sure which two checkboxes came to your mind.

 

Fortunately, I came up with an idea yesterday which worked - Linux can be tricky, but with adding the correct fonts and disabling the prohibition for using them online, along with some driver changes, it seems to magically work 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Izaquito28 said:

Probably adding a way to save the cards as an image instead of a .json files to being able to share it better

You can right-click the image and save as.

You can long-press on the image on mobile to do the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Tormented said:

@Yemachu Can you update the Card Maker link to NCM, please? It's still pointing at /forum instead of https://neocardmaker.com (I appreciate this change has taken place short notice!)

🙂

The link has been updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hope this is right place for my idea/request, but can the option to add the different edition types please be added to the cardmaker
(and the option to choose where it goes like on left side of card from the set id # or on the bottom to the right of the card id# i personally prefer the location where its on the left side of the card on the same line as the set id #)

for example:
 • Limited Edition
 • 1st Edition
 

Edited by Lord of Shadows
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Lord of Shadows said:

Hope this is right place for my idea/request, but can the option to add the different edition types please be added to the cardmaker
(and the option to choose where it goes like on left side of card from the set id # or on the bottom to the right of the card id# i personally prefer the location where its on the left side of the card on the same line as the set id #)

for example:
 • Limited Edition
 • 1st Edition
 

This is indeed the correct thread for providing those suggestions.

There are some issues with the position of the circulation, which is why it is not implemented (yet). If the circulation is located at the bottom of the card, its location is somewhat based on the serial number. Due to the variable width of said component, there it is somewhat hard to place the circulation.

Placing the circulation on the left side below the image (like the older cards) would make it easier, but this doesn't quite work for Pendulum cards.

The current plan is to only implement the circulation for non-Pendulum cards. Though I'm not certain how to go about the different fonts for "1st Edition" and "Duel terminal". Having the fonts as options in a dropwdown is probably the easiest option while maintaining the freedom to think of a different circulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

yeah i just got back into yugioh recently after not playing for atleast 7 years so not upto speed on the new cards, other than i dont like link/pendulum cards i mainly stick with original cards from 1st gen as those make more sense to me in a duel all this new stuff is way too much information for dueling for my taste. i had only heard of limited edition and 1st edition before today lol. also if i remember correctly yugiohcardmaker net had the 1st edition and limited edition options, might there be a way to get that info and use that for positioning the editions on the cards, i have a old acc on there but its had the "under routine maintenence" banner on the site for atleast a month that i know of and i have a decent amount of cards on there that i still want to get back. that why i made a acc here, so i could make my own cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Add a project manager to the card maker

Some users wish to work on a set of cards. Switching between different cards in the set can be tedious with the current implementation of the card maker; the card being edited needs to be downloaded before opening another card. Besides being time consuming, this method is also error prone, as forgetting to save the card before opening another results in a loss of work.

Interface Preview

The current code structure has proven to be hard to extend, and is somewhat unmaintainable. As such, it is being rewritten (for the most part) using TypeScript. To make the interface look somewhat more professional and responsive, Material-UI is being used. It is still far from finished though.

While it does not yet function, the following picture shows how the project manager could look. A wide display might have it open by default, without obscuring parts of the interface, but this is not ideal for smartphones in portrait mode.

Should you think it is lacking something, let met know.

List of cards that is being worked on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

A thing I always wished to get improved is the effect text. For short effects its perfect, but if I have a long effect the space between the text and the becomes unnecessarily large and the text gets pressed together. Here an example:

zKoZXv3.png?1

I'm not sure if or how it could be fixed. But that's a thing that always annoyed me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, Zeddle said:

A thing I always wished to get improved is the effect text. For short effects its perfect, but if I have a long effect the space between the text and the becomes unnecessarily large and the text gets pressed together. Here an example:

zKoZXv3.png?1

I'm not sure if or how it could be fixed. But that's a thing that always annoyed me.

It is indeed a shame that the card maker behaves that way. I'm not quite sure what is causing it, as I haven't really looked into it all that much yet. But my guess is as follows:

A bigger font size causes words to be wider. As a result, there can not be as many words on a single line, which means the effect would take a line or two more. As each of those lines is also higher, the text might not fit in the box, if only by a pixel.

In any case, I will add it to the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Yemachu said:

It is indeed a shame that the card maker behaves that way. I'm not quite sure what is causing it, as I haven't really looked into it all that much yet. But my guess is as follows:

A bigger font size causes words to be wider. As a result, there can not be as many words on a single line, which means the effect would take a line or two more. As each of those lines is also higher, the text might not fit in the box, if only by a pixel.

In any case, I will add it to the list.

Huge thanks! ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Rework how monster types are edited

Some of the cards that have been generated by the card maker show the wrong card type (Ritual / Fusion / Synchro / etc.). This is hardly surprising, as this is something that needs to be updated manually each time the card type is changed.

Considering some people seem to like creating cards in different languages, as well as adding (custom) sub-types, it is not ideal to simply append the card's type to the user's input. This would cause the text to appear in the wrong order.

Spoiler

The current idea is to provide the user with a number of checkboxes which, when checked, append the specified string to the card's type. Not certain about the current order, but that should be easy to change later. Don't mind the fact that "Synchro" is spelled wrong; it has been fixed already.

Text field for inputting the monster's type, and check boxes for sub-types.

 

Edited by Yemachu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The card maker would be perfect if it allowed us to save sets. Aside from that, just keep it up to date and you have a pretty good product on your hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×