LordCowCow

Best Controller?

Was thinking about how I still prefer using the Xbox 360 controller when I can so I figured I'd throw out a thread.

What video game controllers did/do you like the best?

Posted (edited)

It depends on the game imo. I presently have three controllers (if you count "mouse & keyboard" as a controller (i do)), and have owned many more over the years, and like each one for different purposes. If I had to pick a general best one of all time, though? It's pretty hard to compete with the Dualshock controllers used on PlayStation consoles. At the risk of sounding like Death the Kid, the symmetrical layout makes it easy to use, and its thinner frame compared to its Xbox counterparts makes it easier to hold I think.

Although, call it nostalgia, but there's also just something special about the Gamecube controller. The big-ass central A button makes it easy to access the other buttons from its location, the octagon shape for the joystick areas make it a lot easier to keep the joysticks in inter-cardinal directions, and the mechanisms in its L/R shoulder buttons always clicked with me more than the left/right triggers on Xbox and PlayStation controllers.

Edited by yui

As someone who had been a PlayStation gamer his entire life, I think prior to me getting a ps5 and an Xbox series S, the ps3 controller was so nice to me, it felt good in my hands. Then when I got both the current gen consoles (first Xbox console I've owned), while the PS5 controller is nice... the Xbox controller, specifically the Forza Horizon 5 edition, just feels right.

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile I'm over here so unacquainted with non-Playstation controllers that I struggled adapting to an Xbox one lol.

Shadow of Mordor: "hey noob press x to not die"

Me: "ok" *presses a*

*dies*

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jp

But yeah I only remember the PS1-3 controllers and then the Xbox 360 one. I remembered being weirded out that the PS3 one was so much lighter than the PS2 but I've gotten used to it since then.

Edited by Arbalest's Big Crossbow
I hit the post button and then realized I said "morder" please send me to tartar sauce

switch pro controller pretty goated in my opinion, but i also have mouse+keyboard, xbox wireless controller (also for pc games), and some old ps3 ones that barely hold a battery charge anymore. oh and i built a fightstick if that counts but i don't use it as often as i should.

weirdly nostalgic for the gamecube controller despite never owning a gamecube

Does a keyboard and/or mouse count?

That's all I've ever used aside from an NES controller (which was like years ago).

Between the Sega Mega Drive, Playstation, and XBox, I prefer using the XBox ones. Feels like I've spent much more time playing one a 360 than using any of the PlayStations I've had (1 through 4) so the controller just feels much more comfortable. Plus the XBox had more games I actually went achievement hunting one. Also due to lots of time playing Halo and Mass Effect on the 360 I hate using a mouse+keyboard for shooters. Controllers allow for more comfortable sitting and/or reclining positions than mouse+keyboard.

35 minutes ago, Azure said:

Between the Sega Mega Drive, Playstation, and XBox, I prefer using the XBox ones. Feels like I've spent much more time playing one a 360 than using any of the PlayStations I've had (1 through 4) so the controller just feels much more comfortable. Plus the XBox had more games I actually went achievement hunting one. Also due to lots of time playing Halo and Mass Effect on the 360 I hate using a mouse+keyboard for shooters. Controllers allow for more comfortable sitting and/or reclining positions than mouse+keyboard.

Thinking on it me playing the 360 probably most often might have contributed to me liking its controller.

The DualSense having HD Rumble on steroids is pretty wicked among all the other cool shit it does is pretty awesome.

Steam Controller gets an honourable mention because it tried to do something different and I respect that, though probably not the best controller

Switch Pro Controller is pretty good as well honestly IMO.

But so far nothing compares to the DualSense haptic feedback and adaptive triggers when playing on PS5.