Skaia

Dragon Sign [IC/PG-16/Not Accepting]

River seemed to be more curious, if not a little somber, about the explanation that Sabrina gave, saying, "that's a shame but not an all too unfamiliar tale. To think that in your world they would be sealed away as well, though I suppose it maybe be a fate preferable to the death they have experienced in here. What a sad thing to think about, but thank you and your family for holding such noble beings in your heart." River couldn't ask any more, however, as her attention was taken by the questions from Marshall and Abby. After telling them all they needed to know about how clothing functioned on their pseudo-bodies she then went back to an earlier topic. 

"Oh my apologies but I believe I may have been unclear on a topic that I had not previously covered. Though you can only have two of the blessings from the gods grafted onto your soul at any one time, you may simply swap them out at your leisure. Simply focus on these blessings and," the girl conjured a small blob of water with a red and green drop attached to the blob. Then, casually pinching and pulling the red one off, she then conjured and yellow one and stuck it on. "Like so. Sometimes strong spirits of fallen foes will be floating around your soul as well, which you may simply absorb into yours." She conjured a smattering of black drops and then pressed them into the water blob, the black vanishing entirely and the blob growing. "Like so." 

As River finished her explanation, at the back end of the room the group could see a pool of water, glowing faintly blue, forming and expanding until it reached its full size; roughly five in diameter. "Oh, it would seem your exit has appeared. Simply stand on the pool and you will be taken outside of this shrine. Once more, congratulations on your victory against the shrine guardians, and as ever if you have any more questions simply call and I shall do my utmost to answer them." If no one had any questions left, the girl would smile and wave before turning into water and vanishing into thin air. 

If they were to examine the portal of water they would notice that it was close to impossible to tell how deep it went, simply being a shimmering blue interior as far as the eye could see. If they were to step on it they would find that it was remarkably solid as well. Up until they got into the center. At that point they would immediately sink into the portal, feeling dragged down just as they were from the water in the puzzle room earlier. This rushing feeling of being dragged down into the water would only last for a second and were they to blink it would abruptly stop. They were no longer in the water nor sinking, in fact they'd be on their own two feet. The terrain was unfamiliar at first, though was soon easily identifiable as the hill that the shrine was built into. The spire was still in the distance, the bodies of Drengr still littered the ground and the sky, though obscured by clouds still, seemed only a bit darker then before. Whoever appeared first would also be able to notice that whoever came after them didn't make any sort of sound or visual effect when they appeared, it would simply be as if the observer blinked and the person was now there when they hadn't been before. 

Sabrina had a mix of emotions at River's reaction. She felt like she was doing something bad but....it wasn't every day that a cute girl took her so seriously. In fact it was basically never. This new experience managed to overlap her twinge of guilt, especially adding onto the fact that now she was starting to wonder if there could have been something like that in her family history.

It wasn't as though she could have asked her parents.

The question about the clothing made Sabrina think about her own, rather casual and not entirely fitting, getup. She was certainly attached to it even if it didn't exactly scream chosen hero. So did that mean this is what she would be wearing from here on out? Honestly when she thought about an adventure like this she pictured a much cooler outfit. Perhaps something flashy and with a lot of straps and belts. Certainly not a too-small shirt and sweatpants.

She was startled by what Abby said. Surely she didn't mean that literally right? After all she didn't seem more than knocked out before and now she was standing perfectly fine...but then again wasn't there a whole thing about things NOT dying when they are killed?

It was a bit much to wrap her head around, and she was already stiffening up at the sudden argument that sounded like it was going to break out.

Thankfully it didn't go that far but Sabrina felt an uncomfortable sense of unease nevertheless.

When it came time for them to leave, Sabrina took the chance quickly. She was sad to see River go but she was more than eager to continue their journey. Once outside, after what is becoming a terribly familiar feeling of rushing through water, she took a moment to remember what it was they were even doing.

Then it hit her. "The Accursed! Come on we should go right there, I feel like I could take on ten Accursed right now!"

If Abby’s reaction to Marshall’s sacrifice had been unexpected, the Conductor did little to show it; instead simply adjusting her hat slightly downwards as she took the scolding without a change in expression. She had seen this coming, of course; had even meant to apologize to her for her brash, and impulsive decision. But those decisions made in the heat of the moment are always the most crucial; meaning life or death, and in this case, it had meant both. Nothing Abby had said was untrue, even, and yet…

“While your concern is noted, and appreciated,” Marshall cleared her throat, a very slight, apologetic smile being the most she could manage. “If you recall, I had discussed the matter with River during our initial puzzle expedition; taking her at her word, I… Simply had complete, and utter faith that the rest of you would survive the encounter, allowing me to return from the ‘nothing’ of Death unscathed,” she explained, in a tone which she had chosen to try and show she was explaining herself, rather than excusing herself. “...Still, I will try to take the mental ramifications of my actions into account before I make further mistakes; and apologize for acting without thinking. It seems some old habits are harder to staunch than we thought,” she gave a rueful smile, brief memories of her first death coming to mind.

With that, she merely let herself fade into the background for a moment, allowing the others ample time to discuss various things with River. It seemed the polite thing to do, and for that matter, the most tactful thing to do, given her recent death. The worst thing she could do is force the others to contend with it; to realize that she had actually died, a not-insignificant amount of her organs being ruptured and rendered into bloody messes of pulp by the piercing spear during the battle. Death, in that way, was likely even a mercy; allowing her to return to life with her organs intact rather than damaged, and requiring time to heal. As much time as anything took to heal here, anyways.

It was only after their questions had ended, that another piqued her interest; prompting her to pause in front of the curious exit, as she turned to regard River once again. “...Oh, actually, one last thing if you don’t mind, Dispatcher,” Marshall adjusted her cap in the manner she often did, when she was trying to let her eyes see more than just the legs or vague shapes of those around her. “I suppose this is an extension to my prior question, and an addition brought on by the speech of Abby, but, would our weapons be as difficult to change as our clothing?” she’d ask, an almost curious tone poking its way through her normally stoic voice. “...I noticed several vulnerabilities brought about by the manner of our weapons during this combat, and was curious as to if I, or one of our compatriots, would have the chance to try and shore them up by shifting our focus.”

Shaking her head, River said, “I do not believe so, no. Though the weapons are formed by your subconscious, the actual shape of them is nebulous and much less tied to your identity than your physical appearance is.” Catching herself she said, “oh I do not know if carrying such weaponry is common in your world as wearing clothing is and if it is then you may have some difficulty in switching it. Though it would still be less dangerous than switching your clothing. Otherwise, simply focus on the shape and I am certain it will change to your preferred one!” The girl smiled, her tone encouraging as she said this.

“Wonderful,” Marshall nodded, her tone perhaps not conveying the actual sincerity of her words as she tipped her cap. “See you at our next station, Dispatcher,” she gave a slight wave with her left hand, before turning and stepping into the pool of water. 

For a brief instant, she was brought back to the sensation of being pulled under the water in the puzzle, body instinctively tensing, only… To find herself standing at the entrance to the shrine, alongside her fellows as she gave a quick nod of greeting to them. “...That would be the most prudent of our actions, though I wonder if perhaps we should rest given the ordeal we have just completed, or let the village know of our success here,” she’d muse in response to Sabrina, bringing a hand to her chin. “...There’s always the fact that they may have more information for us about the Accursed; though, it is also true that time could be of the essence here…”

“While your concern is noted, and appreciated, if you recall, I had discussed the matter with River during our initial puzzle expedition; taking her at her word, I… Simply had complete, and utter faith that the rest of you would survive the encounter, allowing me to return from the ‘nothing’ of Death unscathed. ...Still, I will try to take the mental ramifications of my actions into account before I make further mistakes; and apologize for acting without thinking. It seems some old habits are harder to staunch than we thought.”

That was good to hear. Abby made a mental note to keep an eye on Marshall in future battles if she had a moment to do so though, just in case.

Following this, Marshall presented a question about weapons, to which River had a helpful explanation. Abby for one was quite pleased with the hammer she'd received, but if she ever felt a change in weapon was appropriate, it was good to know that she'd be able to change it out fairly easily. As the other Exalted made for the water portal exit, Abby did much the same, giving River a wave goodbye on the way over. River was a good person, and Abby was looking forward to their next inevitable meeting.

The feeling of rushing through water hit her again on the way out, but sure enough, she and the rest found themselves at the entrance of the shrine once it was over with. Which left the question of what to do next...

"The Accursed! Come on we should go right there, I feel like I could take on ten Accursed right now!"

Well, maybe it wasn't a question of what to do, but how.

“...That would be the most prudent of our actions, though I wonder if perhaps we should rest given the ordeal we have just completed, or let the village know of our success here. ...There’s always the fact that they may have more information for us about the Accursed; though, it is also true that time could be of the essence here…”

"It would be quite a detour, for sure," Abby nodded. "And we know enough to get a general idea... probably. Whoever's the Accursed around here's in charge of the regional cursed weather, so they'll probably be flinging a lot of lightning bolts at us or something. Can't imagine anyone back in town's actually met them, so I don't know what more they could tell us."

gQiiLMQ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

iU8EggM.png

"Oh, it would seem your exit has appeared. Simply stand on the pool and you will be taken outside of this shrine. Once more, congratulations on your victory against the shrine guardians, and as ever if you have any more questions simply call and I shall do my utmost to answer them."

Surprisingly, Gene still didn't have any questions, even after River explained the blessings thing. From all things, it sounded like it was a sort of…load-out swap. The last game he played had something similar, to where he could swap things out to better suit the situation if and when the need arose and called for it. However, he was a bit leary on that last part: souls of fallen foes, floating within their own souls and to simply absorb it into their own. Now that…that was a question.

"So wait...big question." Gene finally piped up after lulling that one thing in his mind. "The fallen foes souls...and we absorbing them into them. What...what does that even do for us? Like, it sounds like a bit of a hazard...unless somehow we're able to call upon those souls if the need arises?"

The girl cocked her head to the side, curious at the question for a moment before shaking it. “It appears I have been unclear once again, my apologies.” The girl bowed her head. “The souls you absorb are fragments of the foes you have defeated and are being assimilated into you. As such they have no identity of their own anymore and could not be called upon.” After a brief pause she added, “the purpose in doing so is to allow your own soul to gradually grow in shape and empower your soul so that you may accomplish your mission all the better, all at no risk to your own identity!” The girl enthusiastically, akin to a salesperson, added the last bit.

"So they're…generally just being added to our own power." Gene nodded, it starting to make more sense in the long run now. "Guess that means potential Summons are out…" he slightly muttered to himself. "But as long as they don't risk our own identity…then I guess my fears are a bit put to rest for the time being. Also, I'm sure the more we chat, the more we'll finally understand you the first time, River."

His question answered, his fears slightly relieved…Gene joined the others on the watery platform. This world had such a usage of water in this vein. His Water Wall, the fact he could use it as a solid platform…the general solid feeling of it while it still retained its fluid like motion and state…it was a wonder. Speaking of the fluid state, he felt them immediately sinking through the watery platform and found themselves…outside once again. Oddly enough, the same spot as last time. Now the question was…what was the next course of action???

"The Accursed! Come on we should go right there, I feel like I could take on ten Accursed right now!"
“...That would be the most prudent of our actions, though I wonder if perhaps we should rest given the ordeal we have just completed, or let the village know of our success here...There’s always the fact that they may have more information for us about the Accursed; though, it is also true that time could be of the essence here…”
"It would be quite a detour, for sure. And we know enough to get a general idea... probably. Whoever's the Accursed around here's in charge of the regional cursed weather, so they'll probably be flinging a lot of lightning bolts at us or something. Can't imagine anyone back in town's actually met them, so I don't know what more they could tell us."

These were all good options. Though Gene had his own thought in mind. He wanted to actually check that door in the side of the hill from earlier, but something in him was already thinking that this was a worthless endeavor to attempt. "If anything...maybe we could just keep moving?" he offered, clearing his throat some. "Like...we could go back into town for that...but at the same time, we could potentially be risking their well being from more of the Drengr and Accursed, ya know? If anything...the next location we should be heading could just come to us, ya know?? L-Like maybe we get some sort of waypoint or mission status?? I-I-It's just a thought really..."

With their trial finished and all of the exposition they wished for given, the gang had reconvened outside of the shrine and begun to plan their next course of action. Though there was some difference in opinions the majority had decided upon going directly to the castle they had been told the Accursed was in. None of them actually had the map on them and they had only seen it once, but from what they could recall the castle was roughly south west from their current destination. It was also fairly big so it was reasonable to assume that, quite like one of the many spires on the landscape it would be easy to tell see it on the horizon once they were close by. And so with the ever present thunder sounding in the sky above them, a sound that they would only now realize was entirely absent within the shrine, the group began their journey. 

All that there was to see as they started was more hills and flat lands. Grass with few trees and many shrubbery along the ground. Going further ahead they would notice various animals, mammals often found in plains and prairies yet signifnicantly larger, trotting across the ground. Some, mind their own business, some grazing, some being chased and some being mauled. Ah nature. They were currently far enough from all of this wildlife action to not be in any pressing threat from them, such as the lion with a mane crackling with lightning charging at a pack of gazelle, but their current course certainly put such dangers as a possibility. Their current course would also reveal something else to them. While they had decided on taking presumably the most direct path from the shrine to the castle, there was no direct road from where they left, so they had no means to tell if they were on the correct path or not. There wasn't even a convenient glowing light or quest marker in their HUD to tell them either. 

With no pressing danger and no idea when they were going to get to their destination, for the time being the group only had themselves for company and distraction. 

It seemed that, to Sabrina's surprise, the others more or less agreed with her decision. Honestly it was a spur of the moment choice and she couldn't be sure it was the right one but if no one seemed to be against it Sabrina thought it must mean she was correct.

"Of course, my draconic instinct never fails, watch as I lead the way into glorious victory! Uhhhh that way!" Sabrina had some idea of which way to go. At least enough that she felt like if she chose a direction they'd eventually find what they were looking for.

It was odd. Sabrina never took the lead in, well, anything. Yet here she found herself doing so. Did this mean...that she was the leader of the group? "S, A, M, G" Team SAMG....SAGM....SMAG....No those aren't colors..." she'd have to think about it some more. However whatever order she went with she seemed to be growing more certain that it should start with S.

The scenery seemed, for the most part, the same as ever. At first Sabrina was feeling downcast that there wasn't anything more...fantastical. But then she saw them. Lions with manes of electricity. "Oooh...that looks so cool." She said, almost wistfully, as she saw the animal running across the way. "I wonder...if I could catch one of them...and keep it as a pet." She said, unaware that she had spoken it out loud, lost in thought as she continued walking while her eyes were locked onto the mighty creature. She wasn't even aware that they, in fact, didn't have any real idea where they were going.

iU8EggM.png

Gene at this point was simply following...but it came to a point that he ended up realizing: where in what ever deity's name were they going? Sure, Sabrina simply pointed in a direction for them to head and...they left. Now that could've been something Gene brought up originally, but it also seemed like Sabrina was lost in thought...thinking of something with...S, M, A and G? Mentioning something about colors? That probably all went over Gene's head, but that was neither here nor there.

As they continued on, the scenery did provide some nice changes of pace...especially the lion with the crackling electricity for it's mane. It was truly a majestic beast...and it seemed like one of those many Summons he saw in his one set of games he played, the good ol' JRPGs. Same time, there was no direct road nor glowing light or quest marker on their HUD, much to his dismay. ...and now I look like a moron for even suggesting that there might be one... he thought with a small sigh.

"Oooh...that looks so cool. I wonder...if I could catch one of them...and keep it as a pet."

"M-Maybe not a good idea...l-l-least right now..." Gene commented, before immediately backtracking. "I-I mean, probably need to get the animal handling thing down...I mean...i-is there even a skill tree like that...?" He started going quiet again, just seeming to dig himself into another hole with this crew.

Despite her own misgivings about immediately heading out to confront their next foe, Marshall simply nodded and adjusted her cap as the others began walking. In a moment like this, it was important to stick together as a team, regardless of if the call that is made  is the correct one; for to split up and spread themselves too thin will assure their defeat. Admittedly, a small smile spread to her face as Sabrina began to mutter letters to herself, as if designing a team-name. It was good to keep up morale; and after the stunt she herself had pulled, Marshall would have to agree that a light-hearted discussion like this was sure to help.

“...You could try inserting a last name in place of a first name, and taking some liberties with the pronunciation,” Marshall would counsel Sabrina with a nod. “You said yours was Draconis, yes? So you could try something like D.A.M.G., or… Damage,” she smiled in an uncharacteristic manner, small and almost forced-looking, as natural as it came to her. “Additionally, mine is Wilton, so you could try something like… D.A.W.G.,” she snickered for perhaps the first time, smile spreading in an uneven manner.

It was only Sabrina’s gesture towards the Lions, that she forced the smile from her face, and raised her cap just a tad to see them. They were majestic beings, for sure-- But like everything here… “We should watch them with caution,” Marshall would add onto Gene’s reply, though she did her best to keep an edge from her voice. “...But perhaps, as he implies, we may be able to find some way to call upon them using the strength we have gathered from the foes we have fought,” Marshall would wonder aloud, glancing between the rest of the party. “...It was said that we would be getting ‘stronger’ from these fights we've been partaking in, wasn’t it? Perhaps we can unlock new abilities, like our weapon-skills and magic.”

All's well that ends well, and after some team deliberation, it was decided that the course of action was to head for the castle. Viva la revolucion!

All this walking through nature suited Abby. It reminded her of running off into the woods as a child, in search of cool rocks and weird bugs to bring home. And while there wasn't much that stood out to her in terms of rocks and bugs here, she did make one interesting observation. The fauna. It was bigger than she was used to back in her world. And some animals had even more remarkable qualities! Like that lion, whose mane was seemingly made of lightning.

"Oooh...that looks so cool. I wonder...if I could catch one of them...and keep it as a pet."

"M-Maybe not a good idea...l-l-least right now... I-I mean, probably need to get the animal handling thing down...I mean...i-is there even a skill tree like that...?"

“We should watch them with caution. ...But perhaps, as he implies, we may be able to find some way to call upon them using the strength we have gathered from the foes we have fought. ...It was said that we would be getting ‘stronger’ from these fights we've been partaking in, wasn’t it? Perhaps we can unlock new abilities, like our weapon-skills and magic.”

"Humans didn't need magic to tame horses and wolves back in our world," Abby mused. "At the same time though, last I checked, horses and wolves don't have electric manes. The smart move would be not to chance it, but if you girls and Gene are feeling a bit reckless, I'm down to find out the hard way."

Adjusting the fit of her sleeves and her coat in general, Abby added on "Unrelated side note, but if we stop to camp out for the night when it's time for that, I'll stay up so the rest of you can sleep."

“...You could try inserting a last name in place of a first name, and taking some liberties with the pronunciation,”

"M-Maybe not a good idea...l-l-least right now..."

Sabrina's face heated up as she realized that she was thinking out loud again. She quickly attempted to recover anyway and threw a hand up in front of her face. "Kuku, I see you know to put my name at the forefront, truly you are mine ally."

She looked over at the lions and, honestly, she agreed that it would be a bad idea to try. It was just something she had thought might have been cool but not possible. Not that she could say that now so.... "It matters not, for only a great draconian beast could hope to be worthy of being my familiar. Though if any of you feel your....uh, souls drawn to these beasts I will give you my aid."

"Unrelated side note, but if we stop to camp out for the night when it's time for that, I'll stay up so the rest of you can sleep."

Sabrina's hand lowered from her face as she thought about what Abby had said. Sleep...right, she hadn't done that at all since getting here. But she also didn't really feel like she had to. It was weird. She'd pulled all nighters before and even gone so far as staying up an entire weekend and falling asleep in the middle of class on Monday.

And then the other students...that wasn't important.

The point was that she HAD fallen asleep. And she HAD felt tired. Yet right now...she didn't. Not at all. Was this part of their new power or...something else?

Sabrina raised her hand again, though this time more like a student asking the teacher a question. "Uh, I didn't mention this before but I'm not...tired. Like, at all? I don't know if I have to sleep to begin with."

"Uh, I didn't mention this before but I'm not...tired. Like, at all? I don't know if I have to sleep to begin with."

"Hm. I felt the same way last night. Must be part of the Exalted package deal."

With a shrug, Abby then suggested as an alternative "You can stand watch with me then, if anyone else wants to get some rest overnight. Normally I'd go on for a bit about how sleep is good for you and the human brain just isn't meant to go on for days at a time without rest, but now I am curious if that's been addressed on our way over too..."

Well, that was something that would need to be measured out over the course of a few days with firsthand experience. Which suited Abby just fine; even when she was alive, she wasn't much of a sleeper. Now that the need for sleep had been removed entirely, it almost felt more natural than when she was alive. To hell with insomnia; THIS was the way to live!

Oh, maybe she's just got insomnia? I'm only half a doctor at best, but I really want to study the four of us and see how being an Exalted has changed our bodies. But saying it that way makes me feel more like a creepy stalker or a mad scientist.

"Well, we can worry about it when it's night time. But man, what a weird world we've wound up in! Shame we all got here how we did though, speaking of sleep. Mowed down by a truck, turned into a fine red paste along the train tracks, stabbed, and... whatever happened to Sabrina. Would be nice if one of us could've just died peacefully in our sleep or something, huh?"

Come to think of it, how DID Sabrina die? Abby didn't recall her mentioning it when everyone met at the church. She wasn't about to just ask straight to her face "So buddy, how did you kick the bucket?", but the seeds of curiosity had definitely been planted now that Abby realized she didn't know what happened.

Though she hadn’t exactly meant to imply that Sabrina was the leader, Marshall couldn’t help but smile at the reaction she got from the young girl, nodding along as that was what she had intended from the beginning. In truth, Marshall had only been following the same order that Sabrina had used; but if it made the girl happy, could she really correct her? Even if they had no true leader, a hope or thought like that could be the difference between panic and joy, for all Marshall knew. So, she simply held her tongue and listened to them as they spoke…

…Even as the discussion turned from a pleasant discussion about sleep, to something a bit darker. Her brief, tiny pinprick of a smile faded almost instantly as Abby shifted the conversation away from sleep, and a night-watch, over to death; particularly, to how they had died. “...Perhaps now, is not the time for such a discussion?” Marshall murmured, mind briefly bringing to mind not only the train, but her more recent foray into the endless dark at the hands of the armor; something she had done willingly, even as painful as it was. “Though I do not look on my memories of death in a fully negative fashion, I… Cannot help but assume, them to be painful memories for the others,” she’d explain; glancing from Gene to Sabrina, then back to Abby.

“Additionally, I’d like to… Take a step back, and discuss our journey ahead and potential Night-Watch,” Marshall began, taking in a deep breath as she adjusted her cap mid-step, and closed her eyes. “...Frankly speaking, I do not believe any of us require sleep in a physical sense; my attempts to do so have been… Unsuccessful, at best,” she kept her eyes on the road ahead as she spoke. “Nor do I physically feel the need to rest. However, I do think a small rest-stop would be worth our time at some point; both to go over our prospective strategy, and to give us each a quiet moment to think, and get our mind in order. I do not believe our next fight to be an easy one,” she’d explain, her tone dropping just a bit as she crossed her hands behind her back. “...Thoughts? Objections? Concerns?”

From what it sounded like she wasn't alone in not needing sleep. Maybe it was some kind of weird magic or....maybe it was cause....

"Well, we can worry about it when it's night time. But man, what a weird world we've wound up in! Shame we all got here how we did though, speaking of sleep. Mowed down by a truck, turned into a fine red paste along the train tracks, stabbed, and... whatever happened to Sabrina. Would be nice if one of us could've just died peacefully in our sleep or something, huh?"

Died. Right. She had died before coming here. Of course that was normally how it worked but it still was a little....

Was that why they didn't need sleep? Was it cause they were still....Sabrina shook her head and moved a bit away from the rest, looking pointedly at the roaming animals but not actually seeing them. It wasn't the first time after coming here she had been prompted to explain how she died but she still didn't really want to say it. What would they think if they found out what had happened? It wasn't anything like what they described after all. Except...

Sabrina closed her eyes and took in a few deep breaths.

“...Thoughts? Objections? Concerns?”

One more deep breath and Sabrina spun around, hands on her hips. "If you wanna take a break that's fine by me. Perhaps it would give my, uh, draconic instincts a chance to....strengthen." She glanced around, "And, uh, maybe, just maybe, it might be better to figure out the route after all.....Just in case we get separated and I can't lead you there of course!"

iU8EggM.png

For Gene, it seemed like he blinked and suddenly there was a whole conversation he completely missed, or at least for the most part, it didn't register in his mind at first. After a moment, however, it finally all registered in his mind and he was able to compartmentalize what he heard.

Gene felt his heart sink when he realized what Abby had said there. Stabbed. That's right... Within fleeting seconds, he saw the flashes of those moments before his eyes and he felt his heart race with adrenaline when he relived those moments. He immediately shook it off, not wanting to relive it anymore...ever if he could help it. He decided to just roll with everything else though.

"Y-Yeah...guess us being 'chosen ones', we don't have to deal with all that much sleep...aside from the night before." Gene commented, glancing at Abby and then at Sabrina. The hammer wielder did bring up a good point: how DID Sabrina die? Questions for later, he supposed.

“Nor do I physically feel the need to rest. However, I do think a small rest-stop would be worth our time at some point; both to go over our prospective strategy, and to give us each a quiet moment to think, and get our mind in order. I do not believe our next fight to be an easy one. ...Thoughts? Objections? Concerns?”
"If you wanna take a break that's fine by me. Perhaps it would give my, uh, draconic instincts a chance to....strengthen. And, uh, maybe, just maybe, it might be better to figure out the route after all.....Just in case we get separated and I can't lead you there of course!"

It all seemed like a good plan to deal with from both angles. "We can definitely rest for a bit before continuing, I don't have a problem with that." Gene spoke up, nodding. "It would also give us a chance to possibly figure out our Dragon Sign things and our Rune stuff. The sooner we figure that out properly, the easier our next fight may end up going."

As the group continued to make their way southward in an attempt to find the resting place of the first Accursed, Sabrina had spoken about figuring out their route going forward. Though they had no map to follow, no road to travel, no compass to use and no sun to see they were not without landmarks. Were they under the assumption that they were in fact heading southward and westward they would be able to use the spire behind them, the one they had passed on their way to the shrine, as a sort of visual indicator as to which direction north was. Using that as an indicator of North they would then know that north westward, they could just barely make out another spire or two. It was difficult to see them fully as there was quite some distance between them and the hilly topography of the land they were in certainly didn't help. Westward was also the direction of the lion they had been observing. They would notice that the pack of gazelles it had been chasing would soon be apprehended by smaller, yet still crackling with lightning, lions as well. 

Further southward, though it was difficult to make out for the same reasons as the westward one, they would also be able to notice yet another tower stretching into the air. This one, however, was much less clear as the distance was much greater between them and any of the other towers they had noticed. Really, it was only because of the sheer height, unique coloration of blackened stone and inference making capabilities that they would even be able to tell this was another tower at all. This path had seemed to be one without any immediate dangers in its way, and most of the animals that were not predators seemed to recognize that they were in immediate danger being near the lions. However they did not run eastward as what sounded like a cross between a screech and thunderclap could be heard from that direction. 

Were they to turn that direction, they would notice far away from them - further than the lion yet not further than the southward stone pillar - was an enormous creature. Its size dwarfed nearly every animal they had seen thus far, both in height and width, such that even from the distance it was at they were able to clearly determine what this creature was. An elephant. Yet, though the elephant bared similarities to ones from their world, it notably seemed to have an enormous black rock almost growing out of the top of its body, one that seemed to be the same color as the pillars they had been seeing dot the landscape. They would also be able to notice furry humanoid figures near the elephant, not any specifics of them but they all seemed to be down on the ground. And the elephant grabbed one of these humanoids off the ground with its trunk, casually throwing one of them into its mouth. 

All of the other non-predator animals had decided to run, either northward, southward, or simply into the hills themselves, seeming to have some degree of burrowing capacity and the hills themselves seeming to have tunnels already set up. 

The Exalted were in no immediate danger from any form of wildlife, in fact even the scared animals fleeing in their direction never actually ran towards them and veered away, seemingly afraid of them as they would be a hunter. 

Edited by Skaia

“...Perhaps now, is not the time for such a discussion? Though I do not look on my memories of death in a fully negative fashion, I… Cannot help but assume, them to be painful memories for the others."

Hm. Fair point.

“Additionally, I’d like to… Take a step back, and discuss our journey ahead and potential Night-Watch.

Abby listened intently as Marshall explained the futility of her attempts to sleep since coming here, but also the reasons why a quick break come nightfall would be a good idea all the same, nodding along to the explanation. All stuff she agreed with, and all stuff the others agreed with too, by the sound of it. With no objections from anyone, it seemed the plan was more or less set.

As Abby took a look around her immediate surroundings and the horizon both, one thing really stood out to her. Besides the literal elephant in the room.

They really like towers here, don't they?

Not that she or the rest of her world was one to talk. After all, everybody loved skyscrapers, right? Abby was aware of the elephant, but tried to not look directly at it. She didn't want to get in a tangle with that thing if she could help it, and she wasn't sure if something as simple as eye contact would set it off, nor was she about ot find out the hard way. That left the various towers dotting the horizon as the only thing worth looking at. One in particular was a lot further off than the others.

"Might be that one?" Abby suggested, pointing to the southward tower. "I'm not one of those Accursed myself, but if I was, I'd want my lair to be as far away from everything else as possible. To stop some plucky band of prophecized heroes from breaking in, or to have plenty of prep time if I see them coming. ...though now that I've said that, they really would see us coming from a mile away, huh?"

Abby briefly glanced at the apparent burrows and tunnels the smaller animals had retreated into during their escape from the elephant of doom.

I wonder if we could get under the tower like that... nah.

"It would also give us a chance to possibly figure out our Dragon Sign things and our Rune stuff. The sooner we figure that out properly, the easier our next fight may end up going."

"What do you mean? We get runes, we use runes, that's how it works isn't it?" She didn't actually know for sure but surely it couldn't be too complicated. After all she was casting magic up a storm earlier and she didn't think she actually had to do much to do it...right?

There were multiple spires, towers, and otherwise large things off in the distance. Any one of them might be a good place to check out. Sabrina came to realize that she truly had no idea which way to go. The only idea she could come up with was to go in the direction of the biggest, tallest, looking object and head there.

"I'm not one of those Accursed myself, but if I was, I'd want my lair to be as far away from everything else as possible. To stop some plucky band of prophecized heroes from breaking in, or to have plenty of prep time if I see them coming. ...though now that I've said that, they really would see us coming from a mile away, huh?"

"Alas, if only I could summon the wings of the dragon for all of us, and simply fly over the tower, then it wouldn't matter if they could see us or not..." She paused. "Could I...maybe I could...Wind Jump everyone at once..."

The thought was interrupted by the strange noise that came from the east. There she saw a massive elephant creature towering over them in the distance. She stared for a while at the creature, saw how easily it scooped another creature up and ate it, saw the unusual stone on its back which seemed incredibly mysterious, and felt a twinge of excitement.

It looked like some kind of optional boss! One that would give them some special weapon or armor or something! There was a part of her that wanted to go towards it and see if they could bring it down or, if perhaps it was smarter than it looked, talk to it and get some kind of strange series of sidequests from it.

She still wasn't sure if this world was more like a game or an anime yet but the temptation to treat it as either was strong.

If any of them were to look at her they could see her eye glimmering with wonder as she brought her hand up and grasped the wrist. "O-oh no, the draconic power in my arm, it's calling out for battle, I do no know if I can hold it back!" While her words sounded serious her tone was more like an excited child wanting to go on an amusement park ride.

…The others were as talkative as ever. That was a good thing; and that they agreed that they should take a moment to get their plans in order was another order of positive business. Of course, there were bound to be questions; vast numbers of questions between them, and so for Gene to have one… Well, that was only natural. Still, Sabrina almost got the nail on the head, as far as Marshall was aware. "...It's a mental game," she added, nodding. "As long as you hold it in your heart, and envision it in your mind, you should be able to manifest its power-- Provided you've had some time to get your mind in order," she'd explain, adjust her cap for a moment. "...I plan to reassess my tools during this rest period as well, for example," she added on, idly.

It was only after she had finished, that she noticed the others in their own conversation-- and Sabrina's own lapsing attention span, as they watched… Quite the sight. An entity unlike any other they had seen which preyed upon those around it like an apex predator… An entity that was above all others, able to pick and choose its meals freely. Just the sight made Marshall pause, for a moment, a frown situating itself on her face as she nodded. "...What a chilling sight," she murmured. 

Could the Accursed be on the level of that thing?

It only took Sabrina's excited squeals to dash the thought entirely; eyes instinctively glancing towards Sabrina as Marshall moved to put herself at the young-woman's side. "...Alas, Miss Draconis," Marshall spoke calmly; steadying her voice, as she planted a hand on their shoulder, like some sort of advisor. "But that Monster is far above our current rank; the rest of us would be wiped out in an instant," she'd begin, hoping her slight analogy would make sense. "...As for you, to give into your draconic blood now would spell the end of your sanity, as you fell victim to its curse; you'd become a mindless demon, a slave to your ancient blood's needs," she added; her tone impassive, as if completely serious, or completely sarcastic as she spoke.

It never hurt to play along, she mused. Especially given my own reliance on familiar terminology.

Edited by Tiamat's Circus

"What do you mean? We get runes, we use runes, that's how it works isn't it?"

Gene sighed a bit, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "...I-I was more or less talking about potentially strategizing...but I guess you have a point there..." he decided to back-peddle in his initial thoughts. It sorta made it sound like he wasn't helping with that thought process at all. Best to let others say that and not him, perhaps?

"...It's a mental game. As long as you hold it in your heart, and envision it in your mind, you should be able to manifest its power-- Provided you've had some time to get your mind in order...I plan to reassess my tools during this rest period as well, for example,"

He was a bit more relieved to hear from Marshall on this. "Y-Yeah...maybe we could discuss what would benefit the party along with ourselves? ...i-it's just a suggestion..." Nevertheless, his eyes moved over towards the horizons, to where the towers stood...and it stood out like the biggest eyesore there ever could be...it made him uneasy.

"I'm not one of those Accursed myself, but if I was, I'd want my lair to be as far away from everything else as possible. To stop some plucky band of prophecized heroes from breaking in, or to have plenty of prep time if I see them coming. ...though now that I've said that, they really would see us coming from a mile away, huh?"
"Alas, if only I could summon the wings of the dragon for all of us, and simply fly over the tower, then it wouldn't matter if they could see us or not...Could I...maybe I could...Wind Jump everyone at once..."

"G-Good idea...but maybe...we find a different mode of transportation?" Gene spoke up, clearing his throat some. "I-I don't know how everyone feels about flying through the air like that, ya know?" And it was at this point, that there stood a massive elephant...and of course, one person was super excited to see it. And it definitely wasn't Gene...

"O-oh no, the draconic power in my arm, it's calling out for battle, I do no know if I can hold it back!"
"...Alas, Miss Draconis. But that Monster is far above our current rank; the rest of us would be wiped out in an instant...As for you, to give into your draconic blood now would spell the end of your sanity, as you fell victim to its curse; you'd become a mindless demon, a slave to your ancient blood's needs,"

Gene frantically nodded, looking at Sabrina and motioned towards Marshall. "M-Maybe we should listen to the train conductor...she's making good points here!" he said, doing his best to back up slightly. "Y-You just saw that it literally...ATE...whatever was walking besides it! I know we're Exalted and whatnot...but something tells me it'd still probably have us for dessert...m-m-maybe we just wait until we actually come across the Accursed?"

"O-oh no, the draconic power in my arm, it's calling out for battle, I do no know if I can hold it back!"

Abby knew that tone of voice. It wasn't exactly thinly veiled, making Sabrina's true intentions quite clear. She wanted to beat the hell out of that elephant, perhaps to test the newly enhanced abilities of the group? Abby wasn't exactly one to shy away from taking a risk or two, but she also tried to avoid physical confrontations when she could. And the elephant promised one hell of a physical confrontation, if its looks and the way everything else - up to and including lions - ran away from the mere sight of it were any indication.

At the same time, Abby was never one to tell someone "no" unless it was a matter of life and death.

"...Alas, Miss Draconis, but that Monster is far above our current rank; the rest of us would be wiped out in an instant. As for you, to give into your draconic blood now would spell the end of your sanity, as you fell victim to its curse; you'd become a mindless demon, a slave to your ancient blood's needs."

"M-Maybe we should listen to the train conductor...she's making good points here! Y-You just saw that it literally...ATE...whatever was walking besides it! I know we're Exalted and whatnot...but something tells me it'd still probably have us for dessert...m-m-maybe we just wait until we actually come across the Accursed?"

Playing along never hurt anybody.

"I'm no expert on dragons," Abby mused, "but as far as I know, they're not creatures to be denied. I'd rather not fight that thing, of course, but if that power of yours can't be held back, I'm here to back you up."

Although, this did beg the question of how to deal with the thing. There was of course the giant protrusion on its back, though Abby wasn't sure if that was just protection from the area's lightning, or if it also served as some sort of weak point. Wasn't that how creatures with obvious features like that worked? Hell if she knew.

"But that Monster is far above our current rank; the rest of us would be wiped out in an instant,"

"M-Maybe we should listen to the train conductor...she's making good points here!"

Sabrina felt herself deflate as two of them seemed to be very against the idea of fighting it. One of them even went so far as to try and respond in kind to Sabrina's way of speaking.

Which, honestly, mostly served to highlight that it was a bit of a silly thing to say. It felt like when a parent tried to use slang words and you realized how dumb they sounded.

"but as far as I know, they're not creatures to be denied. I'd rather not fight that thing, of course, but if that power of yours can't be held back, I'm here to back you up."

Sabrina blushed. She was torn. Abby was being so supportive and yet it was clear she didn't actually want to do this. That combined with the other two being even more clear about thinking this was a bad idea caused Sabrina to back down from it. At least for now.

But after she had said all that how could she possibly back down just like that? Marshall had given her an out, sure, but that felt a little....

Sabrina cleared her throat. "Ahem, I see. I suppose if that is the case I will, uh, just have to strengthen the seals binding my dark power." She put a hand to her covered eye. "And, uh, seal it away until we next get a chance to bring down this beast." She was silent for a bit and then. "So yeah I'm gonna go over here now." and scurried off to the side to hide her blushing face. "I-I will just be here, sealing and stuff, if you need me!" she called back without looking at the group.

Smooth.

Though Abby had seemingly egged Sabrina on-- Marshall was happy to see the young girl seeing reason, even if the very concept of it seemed to reduce her to a dejected state. “Good luck then,” Marshall gave a slight tip of her hat; a subdued smile coming to rest on her face. “Whence you have buried that darkness deep within, we shall be here awaiting your return,” she added, borrowing more than she’d like to admit from the games of her childhood for her speech. “In the meantime…” she trailed off, turning back to the rest of the group-- And to Gene, in particular.

He had brought up a good point; though Marshall had already begun internalizing her intent to change things up a bit, she hadn’t vocalized it in a manner that might benefit the rest of their merry-band. In truth, this had been intentional to a degree, worried as she was that they might dissuade her from changing too much. After all, this would mean they would be going into their next fight with one of their fighters completely relearning how it was to fight, and yet…

She shook her head. 

It was time to speak, not think.

“...Now is as good a time as any to discuss strategy,” Marshall nodded towards the young man, adjusting her cap back downwards ever-so-slightly. “I am currently doing what I can to reimagine what I myself should be wielding. During our last fight, I noticed a severe lack of range within our ranks; and though I was able to make up for it with my sacrifice, that is…” she trailed off, glancing towards Abby, then Sabrina, and then back to Gene. “Unsustainable, and would likely be detrimental to the mental affairs of the rest of you, should you have to witness it over and over again,” she explained, hoping to skirt past that reasoning as quickly as she could. 

“...As such, given my speed’s overlap with you and Lady Draconis’, I am currently choosing to kill two birds with one stone, as it is, and am hoping to retool myself into a ranged combatant,” Marshall nodded, adjusting her tie as she sought for something to do with her hands. “Of course, without time to practice them, my skills, as they are, will be simple-- But with the strength we’ve gained from our trials thus far, I believe they should be powerful enough,” she explained. “How about you?” she’d ask, glancing between Abby and Gene once again. “Have either of you chosen to develop your tools consciously? Or are you simply allowing your spirit to shape your growth?” she’d ask; voice… Curious. “Given how River spoke of change, I doubt there should be any problem with either matter; but I am curious to know what your plans are.”

The elephant like creature seemed utterly ambivalent to the Exalted's existence, being as far away as it was and not seeming to look their way either as it continued walking along. However, the gang would realize something as they continued to walk and talk about elephant murdering, the dark power that lie deep within draconic blood and train station attendant hats, and how best to optimize their combat. It was starting to get darker. There was something strange about how the light worked in this country to begin with as no matter where they looked there was no sun to be found. There was no sunset sky or changes in the horizon as the day progressed. If anyone possessed decent navigational skills it would also seem as if they light wasn't even moving so much as it was just receding - like a light bulb being dimmed. However, the darkening of the sky seemed to be two fold. It wasn't just the light that was going out, as if they looked to the horizon they could parts around them brighter then others. It was as if the clouds themselves were getting darker. As this darkness set in, the elephant seemed to stop in its tracks only to then squat down and enter something of a sitting position, the rock in its back pointed straight to the sky. The group would then notice a few drops of water falling from the sky. 

OOC

Spoiler

So yeah there you go, just another small descriptor post. I have assumed that after you decided not to kill the elephant you continued southward in the direction of where you believe the Accursed to be. You can still talk and do all the things you were planning to do, just thought I'd add some more scenic flair.  

"Ahem, I see. I suppose if that is the case I will, uh, just have to strengthen the seals binding my dark power. And, uh, seal it away until we next get a chance to bring down this beast. ...So yeah I'm gonna go over here now. I-I will just be here, sealing and stuff, if you need me!"

"You've got this," Abby said, giving Sabrina what she hoped was an encouraging thumbs-up as the local dragon kid went off to further seal the beast within.

In the meantime, however, it was time for a brief strategy meeting!

Marshall had brought up an important point: There were four Exalted left, and all four of them were melee combatants. And the good conductor already had a plan to change herself to a ranged fighter to make up for that. With the speed and mobility she'd exhibited before, maybe it was best that she be the team ranger out of everyone, too.

“How about you? Have either of you chosen to develop your tools consciously? Or are you simply allowing your spirit to shape your growth? Given how River spoke of change, I doubt there should be any problem with either matter; but I am curious to know what your plans are.”

"The only change I was thinking about was an outfit change," Abby answered. "Hitting stuff with a giant hammer's more fun than I thought it would be, and it seems to work, so I'll be sticking to that."

That said, it was getting dark. And more dark, as well. The mighty elephant then squatted down, and Abby felt the first droplets of water fall onto her head. The warning to be careful when it rains here was still fresh in her head, remembering it like it was yesterday because it was. Last night's phenomenon was a marvel to look at from indoors, but being in the open for it didn't sound all that great. Which meant the Exalted had a new top priority.

"...maybe I'll hold off on the outfit change," she commented, pulling up the hood of her raincoat. She leaned over, calling out to Sabrina. "Hope your power's good and sealed up, 'cos we've got a new priority," she said. "It's starting to rain, and that's bad news for us."

"Oh, yeah, it is isn't it." She glanced back at Abby. "I guess most of us aren't really dressed for that are we..." she frowned. "I wonder if the rain makes fire magic weaker..."

"If I died any other time than when I did, I wouldn't be dressed for it either, believe me," Abby sighed. "But that's a different problem. I was thinking we could try busting into one of those animal burrows for the night. Anyone wanna help me give it a shot?"