radio414

radio414 rates music thread

19 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Really fun, though the usage of the Tim Burton cat is worth remarking upon and the lyric "if you find it in your dreams, you can find it in your day job" kept throwing me 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: A song with a similar theme ("Imagination is necessary for living"), but in a different genre 7.5/10

21 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

you never said love but what about other l words like lesbian or lesbians?

Kind of exhausting? Like, maybe I'm just exhausted right now but the vocals especially felt a little weird at times, even if the rest of the song was fine 5.5/10

11 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

Similar reaction here, not in the "exhausted" way but in the "vocals brought this down for me" way 'cause the instrumental bangs 7/10

OP Suggestion: fun fact scott pilgrim the movie is ten and a half years old and despite sex bob-omb being mediocre in story the soundtrack still is fun to revisit from time to time 7/10 

20 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

so because disney bought fox does that mean anastasia romanov the real-life person is a disney princess or does only the concept of a still-alive post-october revolution anya get to be a disney princess.

Good not great, 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: birdplanes have come up recently so i must share here as well 6.5/10

22 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

truly the centerpiece of tony-award winning musical "american idiot: the green day musical" 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: Came across colourmusic a few days ago and even though they're American they still spell it with a u so that's neat anyway 7.5/10 

20 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

who sets up a lyric video and thinks "i know what font i'll use: one that looks like papyrus enough to fool a casual viewer but not quite the same"

7/10, though make sure you practice proper safety handling that edge.

OP Suggestion: Jim O'Rourke has been in the game for a bit, here's just a small sample of his body of work 7/10 

21 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

I imagine I've brought up the wobble bass in these songs before but more interesting to me is how I felt left hanging by the ending. Still enjoyed it 7/10 but definitely weird.

10 hours ago, cr47t said:

I've listened to exactly one Weezer song and not much more Nirvanna, so I'm sure there's a joke going on here but I don't get it. Song's fine though (got left hanging by the end again) 6.5/10

2 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

that's two songs which one am i suposed to rate

OP Suggestion: Spelling has a new album coming out and this song from it slaps so I'll definitely be listening to more in June 8.5/10 

Yeah, probably should've watched that whole video. Or just read the title. My b.

Anyway, the first one

On 5/17/2021 at 12:16 AM, LordCowCow said:

Title reminds me too much of that book "The Glass Castle" that I think everyone had to read. I did in college, at least, not a fan. Fan enough of the song though 7/10

On 5/17/2021 at 1:29 AM, Mr Spaz said:

Took a few listens but ended up 7/10 also

OP Suggestion: Shoutouts to my sister who can karaoke this song somehow, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised given how often it played in our general proximity growing up 8/10

On 5/18/2021 at 2:31 AM, LordCowCow said:

remember when the 2cellos guys covered this and everyone was like "yeah obviously you'd cover viva la vida"

7/10, would probably be more if I hadn't heard it a bit too much, though perhaps that sort of permeation throughout culture is its own form of rating.

OP Suggestion: New black midi single again. I've noticed that, besides John L (which I think I like more every time I listen to it) they're really cutting back on Geordie's vocals for these singles, which is an interesting choice. I would have thought they'd lean into it 8/10

On 5/19/2021 at 8:49 PM, LordCowCow said:

you were the host wouldn't that make it the official theme

Rating these things feels weird to me because it's either "'surprisingly' good" or "a good effort". It's a different axis and that's hard to quantify into numbers as something other than 6.5 or 7/10 so I guess that's what this one gets also.

18 hours ago, yui said:

Vocals (the sampled ones) feel like they got mangled in the transition and i'm not sure if that's intentional or not. 5.5/10

OP Suggestion: Found a fun indie rock song through the algorithm. The album is called "At Mount Zoomer" but it was released in 2008 which sounds a bit too early for that sort of discourse 7.5/10

22 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

7/10 but I don't really have too much to say about it.

OP Suggestion: it's just aroud midnight which means it's a good time for a sisters of mercy song 7/10