radio414

radio414 rates music thread

On 1/8/2021 at 4:28 AM, LordCowCow said:

This song activates memories of long car rides, of half-remembered sing-alongs before the song inevitably faded out to older bands like ABBA and The Beatles 8/10

On 1/9/2021 at 1:06 AM, The Chayncemaniac said:

7.5/10 drumbeat ground me the wrong way at the beginning but overall pretty fun.

OP Suggestion: John Carpenter is still releasing music and it's still great 9/10 

17 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

4/10 I dunno, felt like it was missing something.

2 hours ago, The Frost King said:

6.5/10 was fun, though it kind of all blended together after the second or third listen.

OP Suggestion: I know I posted a glass beach song, like, a page or two ago, but they just released a cover of Car Seat Headrest's gay epic Beach Life-In-Death and it's great 8/10 

On 1/10/2021 at 10:11 PM, LordCowCow said:

second-best song to use the lyric "ram-a-lam" 7/10

17 hours ago, The Frost King said:

Definitely felt like an ED, given how it felt like it wanted to end a minute end and kept going. Kinda bounced off me either way 5.5/10

1 minute ago, Mr Spaz said:

6/10

OP Suggestion: More vaguely-ambient electronic vibes because that's a thing that I keep coming back to apparently 7/10

11 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

i'm the baaaaaad child (duh) 6.5/10

8 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

I assume the lead singer here is leaving because every time she's lead singer she only lets her groupmates get, like, six words of backing vocals. Anyway song is one of those "out of my head as soon as its over" ones 5/10.

OP Suggestion: One more King Shabaka-saxed band for you all 8/10 

16 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

good job you really nuzzed those lockes

Hmmm, a lot of it feels like the bridge of a much longer song? Especially the vocals. 5/10

1 hour ago, Mr Spaz said:

Such a delightfully cheesy line 7/10

OP Suggestion: I remembered two things about Galvanize's music video recently. First that it's only half the length of the actual song, which sucks because Galvanize is a banger (though there's also a version that's a minute longer and it adds nothing so idk), and second is that it features a bunch of kids going around town in clown makeup and I'm sure people would be making Joker "jokes" if the video was made today, which kind of sucks but what can you do. Song is an 8/10. 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:40 PM, LordCowCow said:

I don't know why not finding artists credits in these cover videos is something I react so heavily too when I don't expect the same from many bands. There's an acoustic cover of Sprawl II that I really like, for example, that had no connection to Arcade Fire until I actually started looking it up, for example. Same with Katzenjammer's cover of Genesis' Land of Confusion (though the latter has album notes, so that's probably just on me).I

that being said, credit tomoko sasaki and vocalists emily macintosh, terry lauber, and james cowan you cowards

I mean hell yeah Ashley what a champ 8/10

On 1/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, yui said:

I'm not a stickler for variety in my edm -- you've seen what I post in rates music threads -- but I feel this could have either used a bit more creativity with the sampled toy sounds, like, either morph it so it can be used for more than just the melody (or make it more obvious if that's already the case and I'm dumb), or have a bit more variation in the melody, because the joke can probably play for a full three minutes instead of a minute and a half. It's still a good joke though 7/10

OP Suggestion: Back to The Quietus list from last year, I don't think number 84 falls under any specific "psychadelic" genre, but the adjective itself still fits. It's occasionally grating on a first listen -- the two-tone bit sounds like an alarm clock -- but the overall effect is haunting and worth a listen, I think 7/10 

i can't post this in cow's thread because of the time rule so you get to have it instead

15 hours ago, The Frost King said:

Definitely felt like it needed some vocals to help carry it but still pretty fun 6/10.

13 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

Still fun in twenty-twenty-one 7/10

10 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

I have a friend who did an edit of this in high school so the lyrics go "with their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their bombs..." and it's all I think about when I hear this song anymore, anyway 9/10

10 hours ago, yui said:

spoiler'd 'cause it's a big image

Spoiler

Er0FyWUVoAAvJ0f?format=png&name=900x900

First quarter felt a little lacking in terms of memey mashup but the other three were pretty good 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: Found out about this earlier, pretty discordant but in an interesting way that makes me want to keep listening to it. Jumpscare warning for those that listen to the end though 6.5/10 

21 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

7/10

14 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

I realize the ProtoOfSnagem video is more memetically significant but the original SlackCircus version is, like, right there

still good though 8/10

OP Suggestion: Yeah let's get even more pretentious why don't we and have an opera song. Don't worry, even though this is the last song, this opera doesn't have a plot so no spoilers. 8/10