radio414

radio414 rates music thread

On 12/28/2020 at 2:00 AM, LordCowCow said:

oh no

Had this sort of reaction 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: Went back and listened to the Fiona Apple album that came out this year. It's really good, that's my review. 8/10 

7 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

put that "original song by smile" credit in the video you cowards

A fun 7/10, chorus gets repeated a bit too much for my liking at the end but that's a problem with the original also.

OP Suggestion: Here, I found Spanish Flea for you so now you know what it's called. 7/10 

23 hours ago, yui said:

Almost didn't recognize them doing something that's not Eurovision. 7/10 not enough sax

22 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

"now back to the good part" this but unironically 7/10

Auld Lang Syne is the quintessential new year song, (which makes the ending of Christmas-set Wonderful Life weird for its inclusion). 7.5/10 

22 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

4/10 The parts with the Yoshi's Island soundtrack were good but the bass drop felt kind of weird.

6 hours ago, yui said:

5/10 for similar reasons; melodysheep is good with, like, normal clips but the bridge of "Steve Irwin noises" about two minutes in was a bit much.

OP Suggestion: Remembered "yoshi's island" by glass beach exists, takes awhile to end but it's also, like, the penultimate song on the album so that's fine and it has some important trans-inclusive themes 8/10 

9 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

Some of that lyric video feels like it could use a flashing lights warning.

Started out pretty promising, lost me a little when it started repeating the same line but still 7/10

20 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

One of the better weebsongs submitted -- maybe I just like vocalists holding longer notes 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: I realize Blue Monday is one of those songs that people have at least heard the drumbeat and bass to, so maybe "suggestion" is the wrong word. Here's a reminder that Blue Monday exists, and still bangs as hard as it did over thirty years ago. 9/10 

On 1/1/2021 at 8:10 PM, The Chayncemaniac said:

Ooh there's a pet peeve. Don't like when music videos fade the music out for a skit.

The song itself is 6/10.

On 1/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, LordCowCow said:

Also 6/10 enjoyed it but kind of went right through me.

Ocean Man reminded me of Hey Ocean! so here's them. This song is a bit long but it has Alan Watts in it so 7.5/10 

A little background on this particular performance, Jason Aldean was performing on stage at the Route 66 Music Festival in 2017 when Stephen Paddock opened fire on the crowd from the hotel across the street.  60 people were killed, over 800 injured after it was all said and done and this was his first performance since that night

5 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

Getting flashbacks to Lindsay Ellis and Todd Nathanson's video on Bush-era protest music, specifically in the underlying current of trying to process trauma through after-the-fact unity and nothing else (video is over half an hour long, so fair warning there). The song's not bad, but I still can't help but give it a 3.5/10.

A protest song that gets stuck in my head every so often is this cover of the Crosby, Stills, and Nash song, probably because it was the version my mother played growing up. 7/10 

18 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

wow what's this from what is fgo

Feels kind of low-energy for a battle theme, tbh 3/10

OP Suggestion: The biggest thing I can fault Against All Logic for is their album titles -- "[Songs made] 2017-2019" isn't exactly the biggest hook. Fortunately, the album is wall-to-wall bangers so 8.5/10 

On 1/4/2021 at 10:16 PM, LordCowCow said:

Funky, explains a joke in a parody rap someone made for Bright, what more could I want? 7/10

OP Suggestion: Saxophonist King Shabaka is in, like, at least five different bands and they all slap in their own way. 8/10 

this one's the song for the current event in the game these bands are originally from

it's not full version, that supposedly coming next month, but decided to post it after skaia pointed out how Very Gay the lyrics were

On 1/6/2021 at 12:26 AM, LordCowCow said:

Dang those lyrics are just gals being pals aren't they? Next you're going to tell me that they're roommates.

Feels like the song needs another verse or something, though. 5/10

OP Suggestion. Same saxophonist, different band, and so a pretty obvious style change, but still a banger even if it is a little long 8/10