radio414

radio414 rates music thread

On 1/28/2021 at 12:36 AM, The Chayncemaniac said:

"Thunder rolls" seem like a brand name for, like, instant rolls out of one of those tubes, anyway 7.5/10

On 1/28/2021 at 12:57 AM, LordCowCow said:

Honestly, this song feels like a bad reading of Catcher in the Rye, like "rip to society but i'm different" sort of energy. 5/10

23 hours ago, Comrade Duck said:

dang songs about the sea feels like forever ago and i even posted about it! 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: Love how in the musical this song takes place after people have already died and here the Jets are making jokes about "social diseases". It was moved earlier in the movie and for good reason 8/10

This is the first single from Fight The Fury, the lead singer of Skillet (John Cooper's) side project. He created the band to release some edgier music while still making music with Skillet

15 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

rip to society you say

wow when did rage against the machine get so political 8.5/10

4 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

Lyrics like "I sleep with my demons" and "Why is this my life" make me think of indie-rock, which is a bit silly I know but that's just where my mind went 7/10

3 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

I know it's a meme and I know why it's a meme but Running in the 90's is, like, c-tier eurobeat that's my hot take. It just takes a bit too long to end, really 6/10

OP Suggestion: Listening to Datblygu is a bit uncanny valley because it's in Welsh, which, sure, I think I can handle foreign language songs, but then they'll be like "fuck your hip-hop" and my brain immediately goes "oh was this supposed to be English, uhhh abort abort." So a fun listening experience all around 7/10

On 1/29/2021 at 8:34 PM, LordCowCow said:

Good on Jonathan for getting that sweet sweet Hasbro money. Dragons are normally only as strong as two or three bears, though.

More seriously, the verse lines felt a little long to use an ABAB rhyme scheme and the chorus being AAAA didn't exactly help. A high 6.5/10 but still 6.5/10

On 1/29/2021 at 9:20 PM, The Chayncemaniac said:

I like how the top Youtube comment is the stuntman being like "Mythbusters said you can't do this but it was really fun to do" anyway 7/10

On 1/29/2021 at 9:29 PM, Mr Spaz said:

Props for using the original video. I like the remaster for looking better, but it cuts the reveal so it's inherently not as funny. The actual song part is kind of just there, like, good for a gag and certainly memorable a decade later, but imagine putting this on for someone who doesn't know Harry Potter and wasn't online when it came out. Or maybe that'd be funny for other reasons. 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: SOPHIE passed away last night, sucks to see such an influential producer and singer go so early. I don't think this song is indicative of the artist's other music ("Ponyboy", the next song on SOPHIE's only album, is, if you're curious), but you can't not go with a title like "It's Okay To Cry" right now 8/10.

Edited by radio414

On 1/30/2021 at 7:26 PM, LordCowCow said:

i guess there's no rule in the books that says a dog can't be in an idol group.

Honestly a song this happy makes me suspicious, like, what's your game, song? 6/10

19 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

Neil Cicierega has poisoned this song for me. That's not the song's fault, like, it's still a solid 7/10, but I get Mouth Silence flashbacks.

OP Suggestion: Squid's been together for, like, four years and they're just getting to release an album and it's very exciting if you like a very specific type of punk. Which I do 7.5/10.

On 2/1/2021 at 1:46 AM, LordCowCow said:

Was better on my second listen but not by much, I dunno 6/10

On 2/1/2021 at 12:43 PM, Mr Spaz said:

Between the album cover and the intro I was expecting a bit more strings, or at least the ones that are there to be mixed a bit more prominently. Still fine though 7/10

OP Suggestion: Really like this aesthetic of punk bands with swears in them singing downtempo songs with a bit of fuzz 7.5/10

On 2/3/2021 at 5:10 PM, LordCowCow said:

The beat in the middle is a bit... acerbic I guess is a word? But overall enjoyed it more than the last song by her you submitted so that's a plus 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs is the best name for a band and you can't change my mind. I like it so much I'm gonna type it again. Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs. Oh yeah and their rock sound is pretty great too 8/10 

17 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Got kind of a bonetrousle vibe, you know? Funky 7/10

OP Suggestion: Ryan Mahan A member of Algiers decided, in addition to the band's 2020 album "There Is No Year" to do a, to borrow from their bandcamp, "a mostly wordless anti-fascist occult body music in the service of planetary liberation." It's synthy and scronchy as all get out and I love it 8.5/10

On 2/6/2021 at 1:13 AM, LordCowCow said:

I can definitely see why this one gets recommended first but also it felt like it ran a little long 7/10

On 2/6/2021 at 1:25 AM, yui said:

Took a second to recognize where the base song was from. A cute 7.5/10, I think.

OP Suggestion: Petrels came recommended to from by a friend of a friend and I only just got around to listening. It's got this space-y choral atmosphere to it similar to Frontier by Holly Herndon, but not in a "they're the same picture" sort of way, just adding to the aesthetic. 9/10